Conquer Club

[Official] Canada REVAMP [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby rebelman on Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:36 pm

Coleman wrote:With the small territories like North Bay army circles would be difficult without resizing or moving all of the text. This is not something I plan on making WidowMakers do, and I doubt Andy will either.

The map is fine as is. WidowMakers has been more patient with all of you then he really has needed to be and I think you should all be pleased that DiM didn't win the revamp vote, which everyone had access to, where people picked the best one and voted for this one or we would have a different conversation right now.

No offense meant to DiM of course. :wink: ... hot head

Coleman this reminds of your initial reaction to d day and red numbers - there has been a significant negative reaction from players who are having genuine problems but f**k them the map looks great. I genuinely would expect a mod. to see the bigger picture and understand no matter how good a map looks if its not playable that is a huge problem. I hope andy / cairns do not share your appearance first, playability second views if that is the case we need a mod in this forum with their priorities in the right order.
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby Coleman on Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:41 pm

The red numbers had a much larger reaction than this one. And it was a brand new map.

This is a revamp. The numbers, despite what you are telling me, are far more legible on this map than the previous one. I can't be convinced otherwise. Andy outranks me. If he feels otherwise he can force WidowMakers to change it. I'm just saying that I will not, and that in my opinion it is fine as is.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:22 am

Per Andy's request.
New-New
Old-New
Major WidowMakers

Postby yeti_c on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:24 am

I can't see much difference - what have you changed?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:25 am

yeti_c wrote:I can't see much difference - what have you changed?

C.
Blue , red, green
Major WidowMakers

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:25 am

I think you may have a winner, WM. Green on Green looks better, Blue on Blue looks better. And the rest looks readable.

What do the rest of you think?

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby rebelman on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:26 am

Coleman wrote:The red numbers had a much larger reaction than this one. And it was a brand new map.

This is a revamp. The numbers, despite what you are telling me, are far more legible on this map than the previous one. I can't be convinced otherwise. Andy outranks me. If he feels otherwise he can force WidowMakers to change it. I'm just saying that I will not, and that in my opinion it is fine as is.

Coleman i am many things but a lier is not one of them, I could read numbers on the last one, I cant on this one ...........fact

Have you counted the negative comments on all the threads ?

There have been more individuals criticised this than the red numbers as someone involved in both campaigns i am certain of this. But in case you do not believe me i will list them here (these are coming from 5 seperate threads)

critics (excluding me) who have issues over the readability / playability of this new map:

.Kush wrote:just plan ugly and confusing. changed the map in the middle of my game too. i dont like it at all

Dancing Mustard wrote:
.Kush wrote:just plan ugly and confusing

Sounds like a pretty acurate representation to me

Risktaker17 wrote:I like the old one better.

nikola_milicki wrote:I like old one better, maybe there should be a poll to decide

D.IsleRealBrown wrote:This should have been a pole.

And Widowmakers, please GFY FTW.

AndrewB wrote:I dont like it either. It was one of my favorite maps before, now it is too busy with graphics, and I won't play it anymore.

And I did check the thread before it was quenched. But saying "I don't like it" apparently is not good enough, so I didnt bother.

Syzygy wrote:
rebelman wrote:
Syzygy wrote:I prefer the new style. Both maps are easily playable. I really don't see what the hell is the problem here?

see my post above it is extremely difficult to see army numbers for someone like me with not so perfect sight - although i suspect even those with good eyesight will struggle to see green army numbers in B.C.

Ah, alright. That does make perfect sense. Isn't there a colourblind option in Greasemonkey though?

But if the colourblind isn't , I'm sure widowmakers would fix that.

That good point aside, there isn't anything else bad about the map.

amazzony wrote:
The Fuzzy Pengui wrote:
amazzony wrote:And Canada map - it looks great! But I haven't played it so I don't know how playable it is.

The playability is the same as before...there weren't any changes to the playability, except I think there may have been a 4 way border before that has been resolved, but not 100% sure....GREAT JOB WM!

Yeah, I know, I just meant if it's harder to see the troops on some territories (like rebelman mentioned) or if some borders are more... "foggy"/harder to notice. I didn't make myself clear enough :oops:

TheProwler wrote:I don't use any plug-ins/add-ins for this site and I hope I never have to.

Can you imagine a new user to the site playing his first few games on the new Canada map? What a bad first impression. Maps like this will cost CC users and money.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to say "And to play this map, use this plug-in with this setting or this other plug-in with this setting." Why not just make the map work well without any plug-in or add-on or whatever??

Aerial Attack wrote:rebelman,

I can "see" where you are coming from. On a map like Canada v2 - the colorblind feature won't actually help you. You'll still get a letter of a color (blended into the background) that you can't differentiate from certain areas of the game map. The map fade feature of AJAX BOB will help somewhat (so long as you don't fade too much - thanks OPie).

The biggest difference is that this is one of the few maps that does NOT use Army Circles. These usually carry either much lighter or much darker shading which gives a contrast to both the army numbers and the map area. I guess not enough people with bad eyesight visit the Foundry.

Adding army circles would definitely improve people's ability to differentiate the number of armies (not just whose armies) are in a specific location. Unfortunately, members of the Foundry [with good eyesight] thought army circles took something away from the stunning visual nature of the map.

Maybe there needs to be wording in "my settings" (near the Colorblind feature) that says "if you are in some way visually impaired, make sure to visit the foundry and comment on maps in production"

NOTE: I can see just fine (for the moment), but I definitely use BOB and the Colorblind/Map Fade features.

lord voldemort wrote:seems fair...though i dnt have any current tournys with canada...
:arrow: agreeing with my suggestion to exclude this flawed map from tournies unless/until it is fixed

apologies to those I left out above I wanted to shoe coleman just a representative sample so he understood the outcry this has caused

There were several other comments in flame wars about this seriously flawed map but as this is not a flaming thread I will not repost them.

[/b]
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:27 am

Major WidowMakers

Postby rebelman on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:32 am

ok i have been drinking tonight and i will probably regret this post in the morning but it now looks like the map is moving :shock: :shock: :shock:
Private rebelman

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:33 am

rebelman wrote:Coleman i am many things but a lier is not one of them, I could read numbers on the last one, I cant on this one ...........fact

Have you counted the negative comments on all the threads ?

There have been more individuals criticised this than the red numbers as someone involved in both campaigns i am certain of this. But in case you do not believe me i will list them here (these are coming from 5 seperate threads)
The most vocal people are sometimes the ones who like things these least. But that does not make those people the majority. By simple showing 15 names of people who don't like it, you have not shown how a majority don't.

So here you go. The blue color is now all washed out and flat. The red is the same. The green is just covered up with blurry clouds and is now neon.

WM
Last edited by WidowMakers on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:34 am

rebelman wrote:ok i have been drinking tonight and i will probably regret this post in the morning but it now looks like the map is moving :shock: :shock: :shock:
Give me a break. It is to show the changes between versions (uplaoded and edited).

P.S. Next time a map is in Final Forge do us all a favor and talk then , not later.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby rebelman on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:39 am

WidowMakers wrote:
rebelman wrote:ok i have been drinking tonight and i will probably regret this post in the morning but it now looks like the map is moving :shock: :shock: :shock:
Give me a break. It is to show the changes.

P.S. Next time a map is in Final Forge do us all a favor and talk then , not later.

WM

i already said i will comment on each of the maps in final forge (have commented on some already) but if i spot something post quenching i will still post that (this happens with lots of new products after hitting the market).
Private rebelman

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:42 am

rebelman wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:
Give me a break. It is to show the changes.

WM

i already said i will comment on each of the maps in final forge (have commented on some already) but if i spot something post quenching i will still post that (this happens with lots of new products after hitting the market).
Good, I hope this issue can be averted in the future. So what do you think of the new map?
Major WidowMakers

Postby rebelman on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:44 am

deleted
Last edited by rebelman on Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private rebelman

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:45 am

I think the latest update done by WM is good and dandy. It should clear up the issue, and we can finally put this thread to rest. :) We'll give it a day, and see if anyone has anything to comment, and then we'll see about uploading the final version after that.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby yeti_c on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:49 am

WidowMakers wrote:
Give me a break. It is to show the changes between versions (uplaoded and edited).

WM

The moving map is a supreme Idea WM - it really shows the differences - and surely this map is easier to read...?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:07 am

OK here are the final pics

XML:Unchanged
Large:http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/2478/canadav16lhz1.jpg
Small:http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/6922/canadav16sqh0.jpg

Major WidowMakers

Postby Aerial Attack on Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:35 am

WidowMakers wrote:OK here are the final pics

Didn't you make an update to the XML for Gaspe (or Gaspes) as per Night Strike?
My Conquer Club Scripts | Bests: 2133, #205
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Postby TheKidsTrumpet on Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:35 am

Yeah Night Strike mentioned that fix a couple times.
Personal Best: 2344
Winner of: Championship Series: Arms Race
Redemption Pt. 1
Doubles Champion Initech XXV: Olympic Games w/Gilligan
Lieutenant TheKidsTrumpet

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:33 am

Aerial Attack wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:OK here are the final pics

Didn't you make an update to the XML for Gaspe (or Gaspes) as per Night Strike?
The XML is Gaspe. The old large map was Gaspe. The old small map has Gaspes. The old small one was edited.

Gaspe is correct.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasp%C3%A9%2C_Quebec

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby DiM on Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:07 am

actually the xml has changed because you altered the coords for some terits :P

btw i like the new revision.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby TheProwler on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:43 am

The new map with the altered colours looks much more readable to me. There will certainly be an adjustment period (from the old, board-like map), but it is playable.
General TheProwler

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:48 pm

DiM wrote:actually the xml has changed because you altered the coords for some terits :P
Those numbers were just from photoshop. I positioned them manually. The XML has not changed.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby jwithington on Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:33 pm

Gotta say--I miss the easy-to-read original version. No disrespect--the new one looks hot, but misses the solid color, Classic Risk "look" of the original map.
Corporal 1st Class jwithington

Postby smartpat on Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:32 am

I know this wouldn't change anything for the playing aspect fo the game but i think that north bay and sudbury should be switched around, sudbury is further north (well mostly west from north bay, just a bit further north, not by much)...just found it odd to see the map divided like that and the names labeled on those areas

actualy I think it would even be better if you left sudbury where it is, changed north bay into timmins, and changed timmins to a diferent town that is actualy in that area, like Attawapiskat, or choose a name from one of the many lakes, or even just call it northern ontario (you do have nord du quebec)
Corporal 1st Class smartpat

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas