Conquer Club

Dungeon of Draknor - Halls of Testing [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:08 pm

mibi wrote:I think you should lose the arrows and add actual hallways or breaks in the walls. You know something people can actually walkthrough, otherwise its still a series of seperate rooms. And then add arrows on top or something.

Also, this dungeon looks like a palace, it needs to be dirtied up and shadows and such. Kind of like the wards in Siege :wink:

1) There are breaks in the walls, the arrows cover them up. :cry:

2) I plan on adding grunge and dirt, skeletons, swords, broken armour, magical potions, rats, and everything else. I want to get the arrows set and make sure everyone is happy. I will then do the large map with all of the touches mentioned above.
Major WidowMakers

Postby Aerial Attack on Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:25 pm

I like option 2

I also like using colors depending on the room entering/exiting.
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Postby yamahafazer on Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:59 am

Ok here goes... Numer 4 is UGLY!! I think that No. 2 are just too big. The other two are bouth ok but I think that it is easyer to read No. 3... so I would go for No. 3.

I think its a good idea to change the colures depending on the arears they are coming from and entering....

Good work
Private 1st Class yamahafazer

Postby mibi on Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:30 am

WidowMakers wrote:
mibi wrote:I think you should lose the arrows and add actual hallways or breaks in the walls. You know something people can actually walkthrough, otherwise its still a series of seperate rooms. And then add arrows on top or something.

Also, this dungeon looks like a palace, it needs to be dirtied up and shadows and such. Kind of like the wards in Siege :wink:

2) I plan on adding grunge and dirt, skeletons, swords, broken armour, magical potions, rats, and everything else. I want to get the arrows set and make sure everyone is happy. I will then do the large map with all of the touches mentioned above.

the breaks should be bigger than... and you have one hell of a bevel going on there.
Captain mibi

Postby yamahafazer on Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:52 am

mibi wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:

the breaks should be bigger than... and you have one hell of a bevel going on there.

What do you meen by bevel :?: :?: :?: :(

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:00 pm

OK here is an arrow version that mibi was wanting. It allows the doors to be seen but still have an arrow.

And the bevel is the walls of the rooms. It is like looking down from the sky on the map. I was trying to give the rooms depth. If it works out like I hope you will see what I wanted to do after I texture and place objects in the rooms.

Major WidowMakers

Postby Aerial Attack on Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:26 pm

Aw, why did you have to go and make a simple arrow? I like it !

Yeah, the simple arrow is good - maybe have the head be shaded to match the room it's heading into and the tail shaded to match where it's leaving?
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Postby yamahafazer on Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:47 am

WidowMakers wrote:OK here is an arrow version that mibi was wanting. It allows the doors to be seen but still have an arrow.

And the bevel is the walls of the rooms. It is like looking down from the sky on the map. I was trying to give the rooms depth. If it works out like I hope you will see what I wanted to do after I texture and place objects in the rooms.

BEST ARROW SO FAR BY FAR!!! This is very good. Not only can you see the doors but they are also very easy to read and are easy on the eyes.

Postby Iliad on Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:54 am

WidowMakers wrote:OK here is an arrow version that mibi was wanting. It allows the doors to be seen but still have an arrow.

yeah that's better
Private 1st Class Iliad

Postby Selin on Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:53 am

yamahafazer wrote:

BEST ARROW SO FAR BY FAR!!! This is very good. Not only can you see the doors but they are also very easy to read and are easy on the eyes.

I agree.
Brigadier Selin

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:25 am

OK I will update all of the arrows and then we can talk about direction and bonuses. While that is going on I will work on the detail of the graphics/title and legend.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:24 pm

OK. Here they are. Suggestions for direction and bonus values.

Major WidowMakers

Postby unriggable on Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:25 pm

Make magic 6.
Cook unriggable

Postby DiM on Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:35 pm

all i can say is that this is the kind of map that needs proper play testing.
until then saying that one arrow should face left and another one should face right is pure speculation as this is much harder to analyze than a normal map.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:01 pm

DiM wrote:all i can say is that this is the kind of map that needs proper play testing.
until then saying that one arrow should face left and another one should face right is pure speculation as this is much harder to analyze than a normal map.
Well I have no one to play test with. Any takers?

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby DiM on Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:08 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
DiM wrote:all i can say is that this is the kind of map that needs proper play testing.

WM

well you're buddy buddy with lack. convince him to create a play testing area. i know it's possible he play tested before. and it wouldn't be hard to allow andy cairns and coleman to create test games where.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Aerial Attack on Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:41 am

Side Note: DiM, DiM, DiM - this is not the place for your thoughts in play testing. Those belong in the Foundry Process Revamp thread. For right now, let's assume he can't create test games on a non-existent map in the database [lack's decision].

On to the map:

1) WidowMakers - I've never played the Dungeon of Draknor games, so I have no idea how the movement throughout the dungeon should correlate. But, I'm guessing that there was a decent amount of thought in the way that the makers envisioned everything [true it was probably assuming we weren't attacking each other, but imaginary monsters and chasing after precious treasures ...]. So, you can try to make it match exactly [even if that causes unbalanced play].

2) You can try to balance play by making areas easier/tougher to hold.
The trap room is fairly powerful with 3 attack routes and 1 defense [based on it's name, shouldn't that be the other way around?]. Once you own this room, gaining control of the Hall of Locked Doors shouldn't be too difficult (yet another 3 attack, 1 defense room). True, Stealth does have the smallest bonus.

Meanwhile, almost all of the rooms in Faith are going to require a lot of faith (and armies) to hold. Each one has at least 2 defense paths (although Sleeping Arcade with it's 5 attack paths could be pretty sought after).

The Library is the least defensible room (1 attack, 6 defense). Once someone gets the meditation chamber - it could be fairly easy to get the next 3 rooms (Potion Brewery, Component Closet, and Artifactory).

All that babble above really doesn't mean anything - it's a preface to this analysis.

Code: Select all
Area; Terrs; Attack (Paths, From, Into); Defense (Paths, Positions, Against)
Stealth; 5; Attack (3, 2, 3); Defense (3, 3, 2)
Faith ; 5; Attack (3, 3, 2); Defense (3, 3, 2)
Halls; 6; Attack (11, 5, 10); Defense (10, 5, 10)
Might; 9; Attack (4, 4, 3); Defense (3, 3, 2)
Magic; 12; Attack (4, 3, 3); Defense (4, 4, 3)

Obviously Might will be more difficult to take than Stealth, but once taken will actually not be as tough to hold.

I'm not sure what appropriate coefficients should be, but the equation should be something like this:

Terrs + Attack From + Defense Paths + Defense Against - Defense Positions - Attack Paths - Attack Into
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Postby Iliad on Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:02 am

I don't like how all the continents are so big. Try to have a cont with 2-4 bonus
Private 1st Class Iliad

Postby militant on Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:26 am

Iliad wrote:I don't like how all the continents are so big. Try to have a cont with 2-4 bonus

I agree with Iliad, i think magic and might should be made smaller
Sergeant 1st Class militant

Postby Coleman on Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:17 am

DiM wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:

WM

well you're buddy buddy with lack. convince him to create a play testing area. i know it's possible he play tested before. and it wouldn't be hard to allow andy cairns and coleman to create test games where.
I think if such a feature were implemented it should be something only I can do. After all, I'm the ass. :wink:
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Re: Dungeon of Draknor - New Directional Arrows Page 3

Postby NatNat on Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:36 am

not a great idea but u have put a lot of work into it and it would be o.k :arrow:
Corporal NatNat

Postby yamahafazer on Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:23 am

Ok here's my thinking...

I was getting myself VERY confused #-o so I made myself a little rule.... All mane rooms that have a large number of doors should be able to get to the continents next to them through no more than one other room. For example "Practice Range" can get into the "Halls" continent though "oracle", only one stepping stone in between. But the "West" and "East" "Corridor"'s do not let this happen. If you want to get from "East Corridor" to "Might" the fastest root is: From "East Corridor" to "Vestibule" to "South Corridor" to "Forge". The same thing is the so when you look at "West Corridor" going to "Faith". The fastest root is: "West Corridor" to "Vestibule" (again) to "Great Hall" and then to "Chapel" or "Altar". I personally think that this might need to be changed. :|

As for bonuses. I think you should do something like what has been done with the "USApocalypse" map. Have things like bests and other stuff that gives you a "-1" army every turn.... and other good stuff like treasure that gives you "+1" or "+2" (varying on how large the room is and how meny enterances it has) army’s per turn.

Anyway... that’s what I think. What does everyone else think??? :?: 8)

Postby cairnswk on Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:14 pm

WM....Coleman & I discussed moving this to Foundry....you have provided two graphic updates, and there appears to be some support by way of feedback, although no poll was placed as a level of interest....I think you might receive more feedback on the arrows and bonuses in the main foundry...so moving this along!
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby mibi on Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:01 pm

WidowMakers wrote:OK. Here they are. Suggestions for direction and bonus values.

sweet, now make the dungeon look as dungeoning as the title treatment and your golden.
Captain mibi

Postby yamahafazer on Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:03 am

OOOOOoooo!!! It's in the Foundry...... :D 8)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas