Conquer Club

Dungeon of Draknor - Halls of Testing [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby WidowMakers on Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:08 pm

mibi wrote:I think you should lose the arrows and add actual hallways or breaks in the walls. You know something people can actually walkthrough, otherwise its still a series of seperate rooms. And then add arrows on top or something.

Also, this dungeon looks like a palace, it needs to be dirtied up and shadows and such. Kind of like the wards in Siege :wink:

1) There are breaks in the walls, the arrows cover them up. :cry:

2) I plan on adding grunge and dirt, skeletons, swords, broken armour, magical potions, rats, and everything else. I want to get the arrows set and make sure everyone is happy. I will then do the large map with all of the touches mentioned above.
Image
Major WidowMakers
 
Posts: 2771
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:25 am
Location: Detroit, MI
Medals: 82
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (19) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Postby Aerial Attack on Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:25 pm

I like option 2

I also like using colors depending on the room entering/exiting.
User avatar
Sergeant Aerial Attack
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: Generation One: The Clan
Medals: 4
Tournament Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby yamahafazer on Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:59 am

Ok here goes... Numer 4 is UGLY!! I think that No. 2 are just too big. The other two are bouth ok but I think that it is easyer to read No. 3... so I would go for No. 3.

I think its a good idea to change the colures depending on the arears they are coming from and entering....

Good work
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class yamahafazer
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:56 am

Postby mibi on Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:30 am

WidowMakers wrote:
mibi wrote:I think you should lose the arrows and add actual hallways or breaks in the walls. You know something people can actually walkthrough, otherwise its still a series of seperate rooms. And then add arrows on top or something.

Also, this dungeon looks like a palace, it needs to be dirtied up and shadows and such. Kind of like the wards in Siege :wink:

1) There are breaks in the walls, the arrows cover them up. :cry:

2) I plan on adding grunge and dirt, skeletons, swords, broken armour, magical potions, rats, and everything else. I want to get the arrows set and make sure everyone is happy. I will then do the large map with all of the touches mentioned above.



the breaks should be bigger than... and you have one hell of a bevel going on there.
User avatar
Captain mibi
 
Posts: 3350
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: The Great State of Vermont
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby yamahafazer on Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:52 am

mibi wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:
mibi wrote:I think you should lose the arrows and add actual hallways or breaks in the walls. You know something people can actually walkthrough, otherwise its still a series of seperate rooms. And then add arrows on top or something.

Also, this dungeon looks like a palace, it needs to be dirtied up and shadows and such. Kind of like the wards in Siege :wink:

1) There are breaks in the walls, the arrows cover them up. :cry:

2) I plan on adding grunge and dirt, skeletons, swords, broken armour, magical potions, rats, and everything else. I want to get the arrows set and make sure everyone is happy. I will then do the large map with all of the touches mentioned above.



the breaks should be bigger than... and you have one hell of a bevel going on there.


What do you meen by bevel :?: :?: :?: :(
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class yamahafazer
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:56 am

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:00 pm

OK here is an arrow version that mibi was wanting. It allows the doors to be seen but still have an arrow.

And the bevel is the walls of the rooms. It is like looking down from the sky on the map. I was trying to give the rooms depth. If it works out like I hope you will see what I wanted to do after I texture and place objects in the rooms.

Image
Image
Major WidowMakers
 
Posts: 2771
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:25 am
Location: Detroit, MI
Medals: 82
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (19) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Postby Aerial Attack on Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:26 pm

Aw, why did you have to go and make a simple arrow? I like it !

Yeah, the simple arrow is good - maybe have the head be shaded to match the room it's heading into and the tail shaded to match where it's leaving?
User avatar
Sergeant Aerial Attack
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: Generation One: The Clan
Medals: 4
Tournament Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby yamahafazer on Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:47 am

WidowMakers wrote:OK here is an arrow version that mibi was wanting. It allows the doors to be seen but still have an arrow.

And the bevel is the walls of the rooms. It is like looking down from the sky on the map. I was trying to give the rooms depth. If it works out like I hope you will see what I wanted to do after I texture and place objects in the rooms.

Image


BEST ARROW SO FAR BY FAR!!! This is very good. Not only can you see the doors but they are also very easy to read and are easy on the eyes.
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class yamahafazer
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:56 am

Postby Iliad on Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:54 am

WidowMakers wrote:OK here is an arrow version that mibi was wanting. It allows the doors to be seen but still have an arrow.

And the bevel is the walls of the rooms. It is like looking down from the sky on the map. I was trying to give the rooms depth. If it works out like I hope you will see what I wanted to do after I texture and place objects in the rooms.

Image

yeah that's better
User avatar
Private 1st Class Iliad
 
Posts: 10394
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:48 am
Medals: 1
Standard Achievement (1)

Postby Selin on Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:53 am

yamahafazer wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:OK here is an arrow version that mibi was wanting. It allows the doors to be seen but still have an arrow.

And the bevel is the walls of the rooms. It is like looking down from the sky on the map. I was trying to give the rooms depth. If it works out like I hope you will see what I wanted to do after I texture and place objects in the rooms.

Image


BEST ARROW SO FAR BY FAR!!! This is very good. Not only can you see the doors but they are also very easy to read and are easy on the eyes.


I agree.
Brigadier Selin
 
Posts: 1100
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:56 am
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (2)

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:25 am

OK I will update all of the arrows and then we can talk about direction and bonuses. While that is going on I will work on the detail of the graphics/title and legend.

WM
Image
Major WidowMakers
 
Posts: 2771
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:25 am
Location: Detroit, MI
Medals: 82
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (19) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:24 pm

OK. Here they are. Suggestions for direction and bonus values.

Image

Image
Image
Major WidowMakers
 
Posts: 2771
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:25 am
Location: Detroit, MI
Medals: 82
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (19) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Postby unriggable on Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:25 pm

Make magic 6.
Image
User avatar
Cook unriggable
 
Posts: 8037
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:49 pm
Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby DiM on Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:35 pm

all i can say is that this is the kind of map that needs proper play testing.
until then saying that one arrow should face left and another one should face right is pure speculation as this is much harder to analyze than a normal map.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Image
User avatar
Major DiM
 
Posts: 10412
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 pm
Location: making maps for scooby snacks
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:01 pm

DiM wrote:all i can say is that this is the kind of map that needs proper play testing.
until then saying that one arrow should face left and another one should face right is pure speculation as this is much harder to analyze than a normal map.
Well I have no one to play test with. Any takers?

WM
Image
Major WidowMakers
 
Posts: 2771
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:25 am
Location: Detroit, MI
Medals: 82
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (19) Map Contribution (21) General Contribution (14)

Postby DiM on Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:08 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
DiM wrote:all i can say is that this is the kind of map that needs proper play testing.
until then saying that one arrow should face left and another one should face right is pure speculation as this is much harder to analyze than a normal map.
Well I have no one to play test with. Any takers?

WM


well you're buddy buddy with lack. convince him to create a play testing area. i know it's possible he play tested before. and it wouldn't be hard to allow andy cairns and coleman to create test games where.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Image
User avatar
Major DiM
 
Posts: 10412
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 pm
Location: making maps for scooby snacks
Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby Aerial Attack on Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:41 am

Side Note: DiM, DiM, DiM - this is not the place for your thoughts in play testing. Those belong in the Foundry Process Revamp thread. For right now, let's assume he can't create test games on a non-existent map in the database [lack's decision].

On to the map:

1) WidowMakers - I've never played the Dungeon of Draknor games, so I have no idea how the movement throughout the dungeon should correlate. But, I'm guessing that there was a decent amount of thought in the way that the makers envisioned everything [true it was probably assuming we weren't attacking each other, but imaginary monsters and chasing after precious treasures ...]. So, you can try to make it match exactly [even if that causes unbalanced play].

2) You can try to balance play by making areas easier/tougher to hold.
The trap room is fairly powerful with 3 attack routes and 1 defense [based on it's name, shouldn't that be the other way around?]. Once you own this room, gaining control of the Hall of Locked Doors shouldn't be too difficult (yet another 3 attack, 1 defense room). True, Stealth does have the smallest bonus.

Meanwhile, almost all of the rooms in Faith are going to require a lot of faith (and armies) to hold. Each one has at least 2 defense paths (although Sleeping Arcade with it's 5 attack paths could be pretty sought after).

The Library is the least defensible room (1 attack, 6 defense). Once someone gets the meditation chamber - it could be fairly easy to get the next 3 rooms (Potion Brewery, Component Closet, and Artifactory).

All that babble above really doesn't mean anything - it's a preface to this analysis.

Code: Select all
Area; Terrs; Attack (Paths, From, Into); Defense (Paths, Positions, Against)
Stealth; 5; Attack (3, 2, 3); Defense (3, 3, 2)
Faith ; 5; Attack (3, 3, 2); Defense (3, 3, 2)
Halls; 6; Attack (11, 5, 10); Defense (10, 5, 10)
Might; 9; Attack (4, 4, 3); Defense (3, 3, 2)
Magic; 12; Attack (4, 3, 3); Defense (4, 4, 3)

Obviously Might will be more difficult to take than Stealth, but once taken will actually not be as tough to hold.

I'm not sure what appropriate coefficients should be, but the equation should be something like this:

Terrs + Attack From + Defense Paths + Defense Against - Defense Positions - Attack Paths - Attack Into
User avatar
Sergeant Aerial Attack
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: Generation One: The Clan
Medals: 4
Tournament Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby Iliad on Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:02 am

I don't like how all the continents are so big. Try to have a cont with 2-4 bonus
User avatar
Private 1st Class Iliad
 
Posts: 10394
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:48 am
Medals: 1
Standard Achievement (1)

Postby militant on Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:26 am

Iliad wrote:I don't like how all the continents are so big. Try to have a cont with 2-4 bonus

I agree with Iliad, i think magic and might should be made smaller
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class militant
 
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:25 pm
Location: Playing Mafia
Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2)

Postby Coleman on Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:17 am

DiM wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:
DiM wrote:all i can say is that this is the kind of map that needs proper play testing.
until then saying that one arrow should face left and another one should face right is pure speculation as this is much harder to analyze than a normal map.
Well I have no one to play test with. Any takers?

WM


well you're buddy buddy with lack. convince him to create a play testing area. i know it's possible he play tested before. and it wouldn't be hard to allow andy cairns and coleman to create test games where.
I think if such a feature were implemented it should be something only I can do. After all, I'm the ass. :wink:
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
User avatar
Sergeant Coleman
 
Posts: 5402
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:36 pm
Location: Midwest
Medals: 25
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (6) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Dungeon of Draknor - New Directional Arrows Page 3

Postby NatNat on Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:36 am

not a great idea but u have put a lot of work into it and it would be o.k :arrow:
User avatar
Corporal NatNat
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:39 pm
Location: look at da flag
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby yamahafazer on Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:23 am

Ok here's my thinking...

I was getting myself VERY confused #-o so I made myself a little rule.... All mane rooms that have a large number of doors should be able to get to the continents next to them through no more than one other room. For example "Practice Range" can get into the "Halls" continent though "oracle", only one stepping stone in between. But the "West" and "East" "Corridor"'s do not let this happen. If you want to get from "East Corridor" to "Might" the fastest root is: From "East Corridor" to "Vestibule" to "South Corridor" to "Forge". The same thing is the so when you look at "West Corridor" going to "Faith". The fastest root is: "West Corridor" to "Vestibule" (again) to "Great Hall" and then to "Chapel" or "Altar". I personally think that this might need to be changed. :|

As for bonuses. I think you should do something like what has been done with the "USApocalypse" map. Have things like bests and other stuff that gives you a "-1" army every turn.... and other good stuff like treasure that gives you "+1" or "+2" (varying on how large the room is and how meny enterances it has) army’s per turn.

Anyway... that’s what I think. What does everyone else think??? :?: 8)
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class yamahafazer
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:56 am

Postby cairnswk on Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:14 pm

WM....Coleman & I discussed moving this to Foundry....you have provided two graphic updates, and there appears to be some support by way of feedback, although no poll was placed as a level of interest....I think you might receive more feedback on the arrows and bonuses in the main foundry...so moving this along!
User avatar
Private cairnswk
 
Posts: 11508
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 53
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (38) General Contribution (3)

Postby mibi on Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:01 pm

WidowMakers wrote:OK. Here they are. Suggestions for direction and bonus values.





Image



sweet, now make the dungeon look as dungeoning as the title treatment and your golden.
User avatar
Captain mibi
 
Posts: 3350
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: The Great State of Vermont
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby yamahafazer on Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:03 am

OOOOOoooo!!! It's in the Foundry...... :D 8)
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class yamahafazer
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:56 am

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users