Conquer Club

Dust Bowl [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Do you want to have the map changed so Dust territories are given out evenly?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes : 52

Postby I GOT SERVED on Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:30 pm

RjBeals wrote:Or... I still kind of like the idea of states only being able to attack other states by means of the central drought area. I would have to work on Oklahoma & Texas.

I think that this is a great idea. You should most definitely add that. As for the colors, maybe you should try and keep them in there, but just have them be barely visible. Kinda like a tint thing like on the Great Lakes map. That way you can hopefully keep the drought outline, but still have the pastel colors.

Highest score: 2512
Highest rank: 424
Captain I GOT SERVED

Postby tenio on Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:56 pm

:roll: I second the above!

With small adjustmeants to the dust bowl area I think having the only attack routes by way of the dust bowl would be great

If only being able to attack by way of the dust bowl maybe we could have something like a road going along the outside of the map allowing those countries to atack also
Cadet tenio

Postby misterman10 on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:56 am

dustn64 wrote:This could be my favorite map. (It has my town on it)
me too
Pleasant Chaps still suck cock.

Yakuza power.
Major misterman10

Postby oaktown on Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:02 am

sorry I brought up the impassable border thing... you shouldn't throw them in just for the sake of having them, they should only exist where it makes sense. For instance, Kansas to Nebraska shouldn't be an unpassable border, because there's absolutely nothing there that would slow an army down. :)

I love the look of this so far... keep up the good work. Oh, and I put your thumb back on the GD page.
Captain oaktown

Postby reverend_kyle on Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:12 am

I like the only attacking by means of the dustbowl. With that you have to go there, but you can't go there too much or you'll get negatively punished.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Coleman on Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:50 am

I rather like this without impassible borders, but if you add them they should be deep cracks like the on you had in Texas on the last version.

Also, this is ready to move. So congratulations on that. Welcome to the Foundry.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby RjBeals on Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:03 am

oaktown wrote:sorry I brought up the impassable border thing... you shouldn't throw them in just for the sake of having them, they should only exist where it makes sense.

We'll get it ironed out soon. Maybe a few deep cracks wouldn't hurt. Don't be sorry to suggest - that's what your here for!

Coleman wrote:Also, this is ready to move. So congratulations on that. Welcome to the Foundry.

I was wondering how long it would stay in the ideas thread :wink: Thanks Coleman.

It seems there is a lot of interest in attacking via the dustbowl - I also like that. I'll work on that for gameplay.

Do you all like the old house I added in the bottom left?
Private RjBeals

Postby khazalid on Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:53 am

attacking via dustbowl is a good idea i think and adds a bit of spice to the map. and yes, the house is very nice : P

keep going on this one, its a nice original concept and looks pretty well designed thus far.

as a brief aside... my american history isnt great but i believe most of this land was commandeered from native americans just after the turn of the century? if this is indeed the case then you could tie bonuses etc in with this theme?
had i been wise, i would have seen that her simplicity cost her a fortune
Lieutenant khazalid

Postby yeti_c on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:08 am

khazalid wrote:attacking via dustbowl is a good idea i think and adds a bit of spice to the map. and yes, the house is very nice : P

keep going on this one, its a nice original concept and looks pretty well designed thus far.

as a brief aside... my american history isnt great but i believe most of this land was commandeered from native americans just after the turn of the century? if this is indeed the case then you could tie bonuses etc in with this theme?

And you can back up your arguments with decent posts... we can make a regular foundry goer out of you yet?

Keep the ideas and thoughts coming... and bring your friends!!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby khazalid on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:15 am

yeti_c wrote:
khazalid wrote:attacking via dustbowl is a good idea i think and adds a bit of spice to the map. and yes, the house is very nice : P

And you can back up your arguments with decent posts... we can make a regular foundry goer out of you yet?

C.

well ive been looking through a few of them. there are some maps, like that pacman one that i know ill never play, so refrain from commenting on. so long as someone finds it constructive then i guess its ok.

also, notes have been posted in THOTA forum asking others for input into maps, so dont be surprised to see a couple of us dropping in from time to time.
Lieutenant khazalid

Postby yeti_c on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:24 am

khazalid wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

C.

well ive been looking through a few of them. there are some maps, like that pacman one that i know ill never play, so refrain from commenting on. so long as someone finds it constructive then i guess its ok.

also, notes have been posted in THOTA forum asking others for input into maps, so dont be surprised to see a couple of us dropping in from time to time.

Cool - a veritable meeting in the middle by the sounds of things...

As for Pac-Man - I can see why you don't like it - can I query your approximate age? You see for old hands like me I love the retro harking back to my youth thing it stirs up in me!!!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby khazalid on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:32 am

im 20 years old, but i too had a spectrum and an atari onwards.
Lieutenant khazalid

Postby yeti_c on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:39 am

khazalid wrote:im 20 years old, but i too had a spectrum and an atari onwards.

How can you not appreciate the classical gaming genius then!?!?!?!?!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby khazalid on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:43 am

its painful to look at, very messy, gimmicky and to me at least, unplayable for the most part. having such a fundamental aversion to maps like that i guess theres not really much point in giving any input?
Lieutenant khazalid

Postby yeti_c on Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:00 am

khazalid wrote:its painful to look at, very messy, gimmicky and to me at least, unplayable for the most part. having such a fundamental aversion to maps like that i guess theres not really much point in giving any input?

Painful to look at in this case is the style - but I'll ignore that one... as that's very much personal opinion!!

Gimmicky? This is because of the non standard continent bonuses? Fair enough I can understand that.

Unplayable -> I think might be a tad harsh... we'll have to wait and see when it comes out I think...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Coleman on Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:01 am

This is all interesting, but it probably shouldn't be happening in the Dustbowl topic. I don't want to turn mean right now. Maybe if it doesn't turn back after this post. :twisted:
Sergeant Coleman

Postby yeti_c on Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:05 am

Coleman wrote:This is all interesting, but it probably shouldn't be happening in the Dustbowl topic. I don't want to turn mean right now. Maybe if it doesn't turn back after this post. :twisted:

Soz.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby khazalid on Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:16 am

back to the last topical post then...

Lieutenant khazalid

Postby Anarkistsdream on Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:22 pm

RJ... Is there anyway you could center Guthrie and Oklahoma City more on the map... OKC is DIRECTLY in the center of OK and Guthrie is about 20 miles to the north of it... It would mean moving the Oklahoma State Name, but, for people who are from the area *hint hint* it really would just make it look better.
virus90 wrote: I think Anarkist is a valuable asset to any game.
Cook Anarkistsdream

Postby mibi on Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:30 pm

The central drought region circle in the legend is the same color as the non-drought region in the map, its too light. Although it may just be this library computer I'm on.
Captain mibi

Postby Coleman on Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:31 pm

mibi wrote:The central drought region circle in the legend is the same color as the non-drought region in the map, its too light. Although it may just be this library computer I'm on.
Nah, I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't want to bring it up because I thought it was just me too.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby RjBeals on Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:23 pm

Anarkistsdream wrote:RJ... Is there anyway you could center Guthrie and Oklahoma City more on the map... OKC is DIRECTLY in the center of OK and Guthrie is about 20 miles to the north of it... It would mean moving the Oklahoma State Name, but, for people who are from the area *hint hint* it really would just make it look better.

Yes. I've done a few enhancements to borders also. I'll post the rev tomorrow. I've also adjusted the central dustbowl color.
Private RjBeals

Postby Mjollner on Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:12 pm

Some of the territorty names are off, I notice a couple in Colorado, and at least one in TX, I'll wait to comment on the revision, though.
Private Mjollner

Postby RjBeals on Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:15 pm

Mjollner wrote:Some of the territorty names are off, I notice a couple in Colorado, and at least one in TX, I'll wait to comment on the revision, though.

Do you mean the circles are not in the real place the city is? I know some aren't but I had to move slightly to fit borders / names on the map. If there is something really out of place, point it out to me. I've already moved a few from the first revision. I'll post what i have tomorrow.

thanks
Private RjBeals

Postby RjBeals on Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:57 am

REV-4

Changes from last revise:
  • Added Nebraska as a state with a bonus.
  • Removed Cheyenne / Added Norfolk
  • Added Attack Rule. I hope this works
  • Adjusted legend: Map Description, Bonus Amounts & Negative Bonus Amounts
  • Adjusted several inner territory borders.
  • Smoothed out dustbowl (both outer & inner borders) to make it more visually appealing

I'm pretty happy with this map so far. Several people liked the pastel colors to separate the states, but I prefer the yellow / sandy color by far. I think the State names and borders are bold enough to distinguish between states. Sorry wcaclimbing.

I'm concerned that the "Attack" blurb may be confusing. Please tell me if it is, and if so, any suggestions on how to keep it short but reword it?

Also - it may look like there are 4-way borders, but because of the dustbowl-attack-only routes, they are not really 4-way.

khazalid wrote:most of this land was commandeered from native americans just after the turn of the century? ...you could tie bonuses etc in with this theme?

You are correct khazalid, we kicked the American Indians off their land and then destroyed it. However, I do not want too many gimmicks on the map. I prefer straightforward game play. I was going to have a crop bonus, but I think just a state bonus / negative bonus will be enough to make it fun.
Private RjBeals

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas