Conquer Club

Age of Realms: Magic [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby wicked on Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:23 am

Just "freezing" the Rhit dock doesn't make it look unplayable though, since you can cross ice on other parts of the map. Maybe make it broken or something?
Major wicked

Postby lord voldemort on Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:24 am

DiM wrote:
lord voldemort wrote:
yeti_c wrote:I don't think you should modify the original territories - so move the village and Dock to the next one is fine... leave a trail of destruction though...

This works too - as the Corn Farm was ruined and the villagers died out as they struggled to feed themselves... until a new food source was discovered. The survivors felt that they didn't want to stay in the ruins of their old village as they had discovered a better location nearer to the food.

C.

sounds good!!

yer as long as a bit of destruction is left behind

look at v5. unfortunatelly i was working and did not see you posted this.
so you say a trail of destruction. i'm not sure how i could graphically represent this. :(
perhaps some houses totally covered in snow :shock:

yer maybe some markings of the rocks..like almost indentations of snow, do u get me??
like the snow has covered up the village
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby yeti_c on Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:24 am

Roads...

The new Ice paths have been around for quite some time... the villagers have created Roads to connect the resources much easier to them...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:25 am

wicked wrote:Just "freezing" the Rhit dock doesn't make it look unplayable though, since you can cross ice on other parts of the map. Maybe make it broken or something?

Concur.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby DiM on Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:26 am

rebelman wrote:some of the villages from chap 1 need not be villages this time (having a secret tunnel could be explained this way ie the village people fled through the tunnel in search of warmth and shelter

why would they bother to dig a tunnel through such a long distance when they could simply move on the snow? digging a tunnel from duht to gunn would require centuries to build.

i'm still not happy with the idea. plus graphically it would look out of place and it would further clutter the image, not to mention it would need an explanation in the already packed legend.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:26 am

lord voldemort wrote:
DiM wrote:
lord voldemort wrote:
yeti_c wrote:I don't think you should modify the original territories - so move the village and Dock to the next one is fine... leave a trail of destruction though...

This works too - as the Corn Farm was ruined and the villagers died out as they struggled to feed themselves... until a new food source was discovered. The survivors felt that they didn't want to stay in the ruins of their old village as they had discovered a better location nearer to the food.

C.

sounds good!!

yer as long as a bit of destruction is left behind

look at v5. unfortunatelly i was working and did not see you posted this.
so you say a trail of destruction. i'm not sure how i could graphically represent this. :(
perhaps some houses totally covered in snow :shock:

yer maybe some markings of the rocks..like almost indentations of snow, do u get me??
like the snow has covered up the village

will do in next update.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby lord voldemort on Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:27 am

or even for the left behind village...

you know how there are green 'trail marks' on the land..maybe have the green marks of a left behind village? just a though

and i agree with wicked on the dock

Postby DiM on Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:28 am

yeti_c wrote:
wicked wrote:Just "freezing" the Rhit dock doesn't make it look unplayable though, since you can cross ice on other parts of the map. Maybe make it broken or something?

Concur.

C.

will do in next update. i'll break the dock add piles of snow on it and try to see if i can put a ship trapped in ice (although it would probably be too small to understand what it is)
Major DiM

Postby rebelman on Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:29 am

DiM wrote:
i'm with lord voldemort on this one. why would people assume that? the only ice that connects things has a path and road signs. the other don't.

i could add cracks, that's easy but it would look kinda artificial to have cracks where every border is :(

i agree DiM but over the last few months I have come to the belief to never underestimate the dopiness of many players on this site - graphically leave it as it is and i personally will have no issue - but people will be moasning down the line i suspect.
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby DiM on Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:31 am

yeti_c wrote:Roads...

The new Ice paths have been around for quite some time... the villagers have created Roads to connect the resources much easier to them...

C.

huh?? not sure what you mean :?

you want me to add roads? but there are roads on the map. if you want stone/brick roads then i don't think they would fit. the land is very destroyed by the frost spell and people focus all their efforts into destroying the sanctuary not building roads. the current paths they have are sufficient for their use.

anyway i'll leave to shop for some gifts. i'll be back later. keep the feedback flowing.
Major DiM

Postby lord voldemort on Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:32 am

rebelman wrote:
DiM wrote:
i'm with lord voldemort on this one. why would people assume that? the only ice that connects things has a path and road signs. the other don't.

i could add cracks, that's easy but it would look kinda artificial to have cracks where every border is :(

i agree DiM but over the last few months I have come to the belief to never underestimate the dopiness of many players on this site - graphically leave it as it is and i personally will have no issue - but people will be moasning down the line i suspect.

mmm, i say leave as is dim, i agree with reb that there are some really stupid people on here. but i think that once tehy realise that they cant attack i dnt see them complining, and if they do you can say next time get involved in the foundry process :lol:

Postby DiM on Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:32 am

rebelman wrote:
DiM wrote:

if they do moan later and report "bugs" i can always update the map. it will only take 3 minutes to add cracks.
Major DiM

Postby yeti_c on Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:35 am

DiM wrote:

C.

you want me to add roads? but there are roads on the map. if you want stone/brick roads then i don't think they would fit. the land is very destroyed by the frost spell and people focus all their efforts into destroying the sanctuary not building roads. the current paths they have are sufficient for their use.

anyway i'll leave to shop for some gifts. i'll be back later. keep the feedback flowing.

The Ice Bridge is linked to territories that don't have roads...

The villagers have built roads to link to the Ice Bridge.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Mr_Niels on Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:00 pm

just awesome. but maybe the map would change a bit, maybe a town on water with some territs. just an idea
Major Mr_Niels

Postby DiM on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:20 pm

yeti_c wrote:
DiM wrote:

C.

The Ice Bridge is linked to territories that don't have roads...

The villagers have built roads to link to the Ice Bridge.

C.

ah oh i understand, will do in next update.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:21 pm

Mr_Niels wrote:just awesome. but maybe the map would change a bit, maybe a town on water with some territs. just an idea

people are poor and struggling to survive in the cold winter. they don't have the resources or the knowledge to make water towns
Major DiM

Postby lord voldemort on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:23 pm

DiM wrote:
Mr_Niels wrote:just awesome. but maybe the map would change a bit, maybe a town on water with some territs. just an idea

people are poor and struggling to survive in the cold winter. they don't have the resources or the knowledge to make water towns

yer they do :roll: jks

Postby DiM on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:36 pm

V6
DONE:

*added paths on the land that lead to the ice bridge
*added the snow covered ruins of the rhit village
*broke the rhit dock to be clear that it is not usable
*added an ice trapped boat near the rhit dock.

Major DiM

Postby lord voldemort on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:43 pm

looks good. up in butchery there is white dot blob thing?? wats that

the broken dock and rhit village looks good

it might just be me but the border lines on vesk look different

apart from that i cant see any probs...

8) :D

Postby DiM on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:48 pm

lord voldemort wrote:looks good. up in butchery there is white dot blob thing?? wats that

the broken dock and rhit village looks good

it might just be me but the border lines on vesk look different

apart from that i cant see any probs...

8) :D

that white blob is the place where they hang the white rabbit furs to make clothes.

what exactly is wrong with the vesk borders? they should be identical to all the borders since they're on the same layer with the same effects.

i'm glad you like the broken dock and the village, do you like the ice trapped boat? i know it's hard to see but i even drew a sail on it that is ripped by the wind :) or at least i tried, not much detail can go on such scale :lol:
Major DiM

Postby lord voldemort on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:50 pm

yer the boat is good!!, its the vesk border with the water, the thickness...mite just be me though, or my eyes at 3am
Last edited by lord voldemort on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby wicked on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:56 pm

hate to be picky, but unless you're looking at the large map, I don't think you'll be able to tell the Rhit dock is broken, as all you'll see is a blob of brown. Does it need to be on there at all? I know you're striving for continuity, so just a suggestion.
Major wicked

Postby arizona on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:59 pm

DiM wrote:
arizona wrote:
DiM wrote:
arizona wrote:Any thoughts to making the decay turn a single army neutral, rather than stopping the decay?...

not possible with the current xml :?
the decay will stop at 1 army.

That's too bad. I can't imagine it will make that much difference in game play as it is. People tend to leave those regions with just one army anyway.

Also converting to neutral would extend the snow analogy. You cut through the drifts (large neutrals), but you're tracks are filled in by gently falling snow..

yep indeed it would be really interesting if the decay worked like that. perhaps yeti_c can figure out something to make it work. perhaps with another xml update from lack. i don't really know.

someone want to ask lack? Is that done? Or do we just wait and hope?

I think it would make a big difference in playability for this map. Make it dramatically different from the first one. I don't think I've ever seen a game won through an objective . . .
Lieutenant arizona

Postby Coleman on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:59 pm

I'm not opposed to having it on the large map and removing a bit of that detail on the small map.

mibi fought pretty hard to keep his ducks though on Siege and I can't really tell that's what they are on the small map at all.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby rebelman on Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:04 pm

love the latest version DiM - what you have done with the abandoned village is class i love the broken dock and the boat - I had noticed that sail before I read your post - was thinking though if you are including a broken boat here maybe some more are needed in the water - unbroken. would like to see what you are thinking with neutrals - but assuming thats ok, i think this map is moving quickly towards final forge subject to small map and xml being ready.

Edit: Oh Feck, just dawned on me will we be able to see neutrals against the snow

/me cries at the thought we can't

Edit 2: Do neutrals have to be white ?
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas