Conquer Club

[Official] British Isles REVAMP [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Coleman on Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:13 pm

hulmey would it really hurt to read a little before trolling. Actually, how about you stop trolling all together.

To assist you in your learning endeavor:

I think gimil is getting a lot of unnecessary attention here. The original author wants the map redone. If the original author wanted we would have to pull their map from the site, not just redo it. All the maps we get to play on belong to users who let lack use them through an agreement.

We've had complaints about the inaccuracy of British Isles for a long time. The goal of this revamp from my point of view is to improve the graphics and the accuracy of the map.

If you don't want this map redone pm Nobunaga and look at the topic he made : http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35358

You should consider yourself fortunate that Nobunaga still wants his map on the site. He could tell us to pull it and we'd have to do it, no choice.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby dezzy26 on Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:13 pm

just one thing ive noticed

shouldnt it be Essex and not ESSEXS
Sergeant dezzy26

Postby gimil on Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:53 pm

hulmey wrote:Does the Map foundry know what its doing??? Maybe it needs a few more MODs and brain cells!! You have a map called "puget" which has passed final forge and its graphicall a disaster! This map needs a revamp not the british isles LOL LOL

I suppose you could make a better attempt? Perhaps you would like to go into competition if your so confident that this map sucks?
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby yeti_c on Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:58 pm

gimil wrote:
hulmey wrote:Does the Map foundry know what its doing??? Maybe it needs a few more MODs and brain cells!! You have a map called "puget" which has passed final forge and its graphicall a disaster! This map needs a revamp not the british isles LOL LOL

I suppose you could make a better attempt? Perhaps you would like to go into competition if your so confident that this map sucks?

Gimil - ignore Hulmey - he's not worth it.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby happy2seeyou on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:06 pm

I'm still kinda sad that this is being redone. I understand that the old one was not perfect, but it is a good map to play on. I am happy to see that you removed the fags though, they were very distracting. You also need a connector to the island.
Captain happy2seeyou

Postby wicked on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:07 pm

happy2seeyou wrote:I am happy to see that you removed the fags though, they were very distracting.

:lol:
Major wicked

Postby yeti_c on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:07 pm

happy2seeyou wrote:I'm still kinda sad that this is being redone. I understand that the old one was not perfect, but it is a good map to play on. I am happy to see that you removed the fags though, they were very distracting. You also need a connector to the island.

I wish people would stop going on about the gameplay of this map...

That isn't going to change...

The graphics and the geographical accuracy are the things that are changing...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby happy2seeyou on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:07 pm

wicked wrote:
happy2seeyou wrote:I am happy to see that you removed the fags though, they were very distracting.

:lol:

;)
Captain happy2seeyou

Postby happy2seeyou on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:10 pm

yeti_c wrote:
happy2seeyou wrote:I'm still kinda sad that this is being redone. I understand that the old one was not perfect, but it is a good map to play on. I am happy to see that you removed the fags though, they were very distracting. You also need a connector to the island.

C.

I AM talking about the graphics. :D
Captain happy2seeyou

Postby The1exile on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:10 pm

Why did the unpassable borders disappear with the flags?
Lieutenant The1exile

Postby yeti_c on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:12 pm

happy2seeyou wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

C.

Right - So all you would like for the revamp is the geographical correction?

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:12 pm

The1exile wrote:Why did the unpassable borders disappear with the flags?

They were ugly anyway and were merely placeholders - so the point is moot.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby happy2seeyou on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:16 pm

yeti_c wrote:
happy2seeyou wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

C.

C.

I like the old style look it has. Keeps it different looking than all these newer maps. If people are complaining about it needing a geographical change, then do it I guess. I am just not liking that the whole map has changed now. I would think that you guys would want to hear peoples opinions now rather than after it has been quenched and people start making threads like they did with the Canada map.
Captain happy2seeyou

Postby moomaster2000 on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:18 pm

Alright. Its time for a poll on this.
Corporal moomaster2000

Postby yeti_c on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:19 pm

happy2seeyou wrote:
yeti_c wrote:
happy2seeyou wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

C.

C.

I like the old style look it has. Keeps it different looking than all these newer maps. If people are complaining about it needing a geographical change, then do it I guess. I am just not liking that the whole map has changed now. I would think that you guys would want to hear peoples opinions now rather than after it has been quenched and people start making threads like they did with the Canada map.

Yes we do definitely want the opinions...

However you do have to admit that the old skool map doesn't look as good as a lot of the newer maps? (Don't get me wrong it's not hideous like Brazil) but a polish up (When done correctly) will make it look better?

My problem - being from said Isles - is that the locations are way off... The problem is of course - no one else in the world knows anything about the UK except where London is... (if that!)

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:21 pm

Here's an awesome map of the counties...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby happy2seeyou on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:22 pm

yeti_c wrote:Yes we do definitely want the opinions...

However you do have to admit that the old skool map doesn't look as good as a lot of the newer maps? (Don't get me wrong it's not hideous like Brazil) but a polish up (When done correctly) will make it look better?

My problem - being from said Isles - is that the locations are way off... The problem is of course - no one else in the world knows anything about the UK except where London is... (if that!)

C.

Then why can't the locations be corrected instead a whole new map being made?
Captain happy2seeyou

Postby wicked on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:23 pm

I prefer the old nostalgic look as well. It seems most of the new maps have the same look and feel. Welcome to CC Suburbia, where CC means cookie cutter not conquer club. :lol:
Major wicked

Postby happy2seeyou on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:23 pm

Goodness, can you make that thing smaller yeti?? That thing is HUGE.

haha, now thats something a guy doesn't hear...
Last edited by happy2seeyou on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain happy2seeyou

Postby yeti_c on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:24 pm

happy2seeyou wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Yes we do definitely want the opinions...

C.

Then why can't the locations be corrected instead a whole new map being made?

I suspect it's easier to redo it completely than tweak an old image...?!

Anyways - as Coleman says - the original Cartographer wants it replaced with something that looks better...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby happy2seeyou on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:27 pm

wicked wrote:I prefer the old nostalgic look as well. It seems most of the new maps have the same look and feel. Welcome to CC Suburbia, where CC means cookie cutter not conquer club. :lol:

=D> Thats what I am trying to say. Im not doubting the locations OR the flow/game play of this map.
Captain happy2seeyou

Postby yeti_c on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:29 pm

happy2seeyou wrote:Goodness, can you make that thing smaller yeti?? That thing is HUGE.

:oops: :oops:

No sizing tags on images on this forum - Perhaps I should've just posted a URL tag!!!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby happy2seeyou on Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:36 pm

yeti_c wrote:
happy2seeyou wrote:Goodness, can you make that thing smaller yeti?? That thing is HUGE.

:oops: :oops:

No sizing tags on images on this forum - Perhaps I should've just posted a URL tag!!!

C.

Well, we are on another page now so I don't have to look at your huge ... post. :lol:

Also, gimil is talented with what he does, please don't get me wrong there. I am merely posting my opinion.
Captain happy2seeyou

Postby whitelighting on Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:09 pm

i like the revamp it adds some color to the boring map
Private 1st Class whitelighting

Postby iancanton on Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:13 pm

while i understand the concept of the old artwork being retained but the territories being renamed, let's see what gimil can do with the graphics. we can always vote down the revamp if we all think that the old map is superior. the double names are useful at the moment to let us see why some territories are a strange shape. i’m sure they’ll morph into something less unwieldy by the time the shape of each has been finalised.

below is my concept of where to draw the borders in southern england (plus lancashire) to produce identical gameplay together with geographical accuracy and the least strange-shaped territories. thanks to yeti_c for the political map on page 8. gimil, is this list of any help to u?

kent
isle of wight
home counties south (currently "sussex and hampshire"): surrey, sussex and hampshire
home counties north (currently "oxfordshire"): oxfordshire, berkshire, buckinghamshire, hertfordshire, middlesex and bedfordshire
london and essex (currently "london")
cambridgeshire and suffolk (currently "essex and cambridgeshire")
norfolk (currently "east anglia")
lincolnshire
east midlands (currently "central england"): derbyshire, nottinghamshire, leicestershire, rutland and northamptonshire
west midlands or west mercia (currently "cheshire"): shropshire, staffordshire, warwickshire, herefordshire and worcestershire
gloucestershire
lancashire and cheshire (currently "lancashire")

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas