Conquer Club

Europa [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

New Europe map

Postby Mark TPM on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:29 am

Why can't I attack from San Marino to a neighboring territory? This really stinks!
Mark
Major Mark TPM

Re: New Europe map

Postby MrBenn on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:47 am

San Marino (and Vatican City) are entirely surrounded by Italy, and you can attack Italy from either of them - and vice versa.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Europa [Quenched]

Postby saaimen on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:08 am

Wow Benn... You've got a lotta patience.
I just don't understand why all these people come here asking the same stupid question. It IS clear from the map, if you simply look at it you see there are no 'neighbouring territories' because SMR and VAT are nested inside Italy. And the funny thing is, it's not even your crazy idea... It's like that in real life too.
So hang in there, replying to people who don't look out well enough... ](*,)
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"
Sergeant 1st Class saaimen

Postby saaimen on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:32 pm

Hey! I just noticed one more thing :) (But maybe it's been discussed before... Just ignore me then :-# )
Shouldn't 'mkd' for Macedonia be 'mcd' ?
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"

Postby MrBenn on Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:36 pm

The ISO country code for Macedonia is MKD ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby saaimen on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:22 pm

MrBenn wrote:The ISO country code for Macedonia is MKD ;-)

Nice. I didn't even know something like that existed :P

Edit: Whoever came up with that, I still think it's weird...
ImageImage

Postby jiminski on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:00 am

This is a really excellent map MrB!

I have not discovered any weakness in gameplay (from my single game ;) ) but i can see that there is great flexibility for different and varied strategies!

nice work mate!
Captain jiminski

Postby mpxy on Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:09 am

The map looks so nice, however there are some mistakes in the map... The eastern borders of Turkey, with Armenia and Georgia is wrong. The correct way that they look can be seen in http://geology.com/world/europe-map.gif It would be nice to fix that, to have a better and more realistic map.
Major mpxy

Postby MrBenn on Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:17 am

mpxy wrote:The map looks so nice, however there are some mistakes in the map... The eastern borders of Turkey, with Armenia and Georgia is wrong. The correct way that they look can be seen in http://geology.com/world/europe-map.gif It would be nice to fix that, to have a better and more realistic map.

I think you're actually referring to the Turkish border with Azerbaijan...

The Azerbaijani exclave was in an early version, but was joined to the rest of Azerbain to avoid confusion with the 'secret territory' (viewtopic.php?f=64&t=38304&p=1148358&hilit=+azerbaijan#p1148358)
Turkey does border all three of the Causacus territories ;-)
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Balsiefen on Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:12 am

So nice to see this map go through, sorry I didn't comment on it more ;)

However, it might be nice to have the sea routes a little more visible, several (such as faroe-scotland) are pretty hard to see.
Sergeant 1st Class Balsiefen

Location: The Ford of the Aldar in the East of the Kingdom of Lindissi

Postby MrBenn on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:22 am

Balsiefen wrote:So nice to see this map go through, sorry I didn't comment on it more ;)

However, it might be nice to have the sea routes a little more visible, several (such as faroe-scotland) are pretty hard to see.

OK, I'll have a look at adjusting the sea paths... you're not the first person to mention it ;-)
While I'm at it, does anybody have any suggestions for how to make Italy slightly clearer?
I'm tempted to add a line of text explaining that KGD is required for the transcontinental bonus too...

I'll see if I get any spare time to look at it this evening...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby saaimen on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:54 am

I think the Faroe Isles sea path will be clearer if you put it around the West of the islands. Make it start more from the northern tip of Scotland. That way it doesn't get too close to the Denmark - Faroe Isles sea path.
Also, an idea to make the paths clearer: maybe add a slight white glow around every dot? That brings them out of the ocean a bit ;) Just like the region names.
To me, Italy is pretty clear. As is the Transcontinental bonus... They're all brown, right? Concerning KGD, I'd make the ";" of the Motherland explanation into a ":".
ImageImage

Postby reelkmcn on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:53 am

Game #3523893, I was not awarded my transcontinental bonus of +4. Someone may want to take a look at that.
Sergeant 1st Class reelkmcn

Postby cena-rules on Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:25 pm

reelkmcn wrote:Game #3523893, I was not awarded my transcontinental bonus of +4. Someone may want to take a look at that.

I was going to post the same thing
19:41:22 ‹jakewilliams› I was a pedo
Lieutenant cena-rules

Postby cena-rules on Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:26 pm

aaaaaaaaaah you need to hold kgd as well
19:41:22 ‹jakewilliams› I was a pedo
Lieutenant cena-rules

Postby saaimen on Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:03 am

C'mon guys...
The transcontinental bonus is brown in the legend. And KGD is... brown! I don't get why people don't get that #-o
ImageImage

Postby MrBenn on Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:47 pm

OK, I've made a few adjustments, although I'm feeling a bit ambivalent about some of them... Any and all feedback on these potential adjustments is welcome ;-)

-The sea route between Scotland and Faroe Islands has been made more visible
    -Text explaining the Kaliningrad (KGD) is part of the transcontinental region has been added to the bottom corner
    -An additional label for Italy has been added
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby InkL0sed on Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:52 pm

I hate the extra label for Italy. It bothers me.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby Balsiefen on Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:56 pm

InkL0sed wrote:I hate the extra label for Italy. It bothers me.

I agree actually, all else looks fine (sea routes especially improved) but if people cant tell whats italy and what isn't they deserve what they get ;)
Sergeant 1st Class Balsiefen

Location: The Ford of the Aldar in the East of the Kingdom of Lindissi

Postby MrBenn on Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:08 pm

The extra label for Italy is the thing that bugs me too...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Incandenza on Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:21 pm

Balsiefen wrote:
InkL0sed wrote:I hate the extra label for Italy. It bothers me.

I agree actually, all else looks fine (sea routes especially improved) but if people cant tell whats italy and what isn't they deserve what they get ;)

QFT. Italy's not exactly an obscure portion of the world.... but I'm glad to see the northern attack routes made clearer.

I'm in the opening rounds of a 2v2 on this map, and thus far it's quite an interesting one. Very well done indeed, MrB.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby snufkin on Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:50 pm

perhaps making san marino larger would make the "Italic continent" easier to understand?
It is almost ten times as large as gibraltar, but looks much smaller on this map.
Sergeant 1st Class snufkin

Postby saaimen on Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:26 am

snufkin wrote:perhaps making san marino larger would make the "Italic continent" easier to understand?
It is almost ten times as large as gibraltar, but looks much smaller on this map.

But Monaco, Andorra and Liechtenstein are all oversized to make them clearer, just like Gibraltar. If you did that to San Marino or Rome, they'd cover half of Italy...
I guess adding another line of text ("italy surrounds smr and vat") would be too much? The extra label is one way, but then again, won't people complain that there's a country without army circle on the map? Some geographic dumbass might even think the Alps are Italy ;)
ImageImage

Postby jyor0385 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:53 pm

I was playing the beta version and found that the engine wouldn't allow me to attack from crete to cyprus (as the dotted line suggests). Just FYI for tweaking.

Game 3544710.
Private jyor0385

Postby MrBenn on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:03 pm

jyor0385 wrote:I was playing the beta version and found that the engine wouldn't allow me to attack from crete to cyprus (as the dotted line suggests). Just FYI for tweaking.

Game 3544710.

Crete and Cyprus do border. I expect this is down to user error...
Game 3544710 Log wrote:2008-11-07 16:01:38 - Game has been initialized
2008-11-07 16:02:23 - jyor0385 receives 3 troops for 7 regions
2008-11-07 16:02:53 - jyor0385 deployed 3 troops on Northern Ireland
2008-11-07 17:58:03 - tyche73 receives 3 troops for 7 regions

2008-11-07 16:05:00 - jyor0385: Hello, if the designer of this map is playing, Great Map! However, the engine won't allow an attack from crete to cyprus. Just thought you'd want to know.

So you deployed onto Northern Ireland, and were hoping to attack 3 neutrals in Cyprus with your 3 in Crete? Just as well you couldn't, as the odds would not have been in your favour! :lol:
All I can imagine is that you clicked 'end assaults', and that you thought you were attacking, when the game engine was in the fortification phase (you cannot fort to neutrals).
Lieutenant MrBenn

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas