Conquer Club

Europa [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Europa [Quenched]

Postby yeti_c on Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:07 am

You're missing a stamp in your first post?!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby MrBenn on Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:05 pm

I've updated the first post with the final stamp, and set up/joined some games...

Thanks to everybody for their support, encouragement and criticism over the past 10 months... It's been worth it ;-)
I look forward to seeing you in Europa!
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Thezzaruz on Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:30 am

It's up... \o/\o/\o/\o/\o/
Lieutenant Thezzaruz

Postby HardAttack on Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:28 pm

there is a place coded with 'kgd' brown region at the west side of greenn region...is that region a part of transcontinental brown lands ? should we occupy 'kgd' in order to get region bonus from transcontinental region ? (the brown region) ...
nice looking map, thanks to those who put sugar, wheat anything on this nice cake...delicious it looks....
LEGENDS of WAR
Colonel HardAttack

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:00 pm

HardAttack wrote:there is a place coded with 'kgd' brown region at the west side of greenn region...is that region a part of transcontinental brown lands ? should we occupy 'kgd' in order to get region bonus from transcontinental region ? (the brown region) ...
nice looking map, thanks to those who put sugar, wheat anything on this nice cake...delicious it looks....

Kgd (Kalingrad) is necessary to have the Transcontinental bonus. In addition, you get a +1 for holding Kgd and Russia (motherland bonus).
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby mibi on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:25 pm

nice work benn, i bet this will be a popular map.
Captain mibi

Postby MrBenn on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:31 pm

mibi wrote:nice work benn, i bet this will be a popular map.

Thanks mibi ;-)

ZeakCytho wrote:
HardAttack wrote:there is a place coded with 'kgd' brown region at the west side of greenn region...is that region a part of transcontinental brown lands ? should we occupy 'kgd' in order to get region bonus from transcontinental region ? (the brown region) ...

Kgd (Kalingrad) is necessary to have the Transcontinental bonus. In addition, you get a +1 for holding Kgd and Russia (motherland bonus).

Thanks Zeak.

It's also worth pointing out that San Marino (SMR) and Vatican City (VAT) can only attack/be attacked by Italy.

Additionally, it's worth looking out for the Med Islands bonus ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby DukeToshiro on Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:44 pm

What is the point of this map? We already have a Europe map that works/looks better.
Captain DukeToshiro

Postby edbeard on Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:00 pm

DukeToshiro wrote:What is the point of this map? We already have a Europe map that works/looks better.

The point was to get a map of Europe that didn't have parts of Africa in it and one that had sensible continents in terms of names and groupings compared to real life.

It's clearly different in terms of gameplay so another 'Europe' map is fine.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Aussierager on Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:00 pm

MrBenn wrote:
mibi wrote:nice work benn, i bet this will be a popular map.

Thanks mibi ;-)

ZeakCytho wrote:

Thanks Zeak.

It's also worth pointing out that San Marino (SMR) and Vatican City (VAT) can only attack/be attacked by Italy.

Additionally, it's worth looking out for the Med Islands bonus ;-)

I need to ask if the above is correct about SMR and VAT only being able to be attacked from ITALY?

I would have thought that either FRANCE or SVN(Slovenia) would be able to attack SMR as these are adjoining territories!
And Isn't it true in real life that GERMANY in the WWII 'Threatened' ITALY to join them because as we know GERMANY had a HUGE Tank Army and EASY access to ITALY's North via what was then a part of Greece?

And also near the end once ITALY had taken heavy losses and threatened to bail out that Germany then moved TANKS to southern france under the pretext of building defences against the allies when it was actually a threat to ITALY that if they in 44' decided to pull out germany knew they would lose so vowed to take out ITALY. And tanks then couldn't go over mountains.

So perhaps its not as true a map if the north of italy cant be attacked from, or attack to, France or Germany/Greece(Now Known As Slovenkia).

Fix This and i will play the map for sure as its HEAPS better than the other Euro Maps.

My 2 Cents worth
Baa Baa AUSSIERAGER, can you play you fool?
Yes Sir, slick skills sir, with BLACK THUNDER just for you.
I am the master, during my Dark reign.
I will put all your Tactics to Shame

Highest Rank Captain, Score 1987, Ladder 972 on 14:15 AEDT 29OCT2008
Cook Aussierager

Postby mibi on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:00 pm

DukeToshiro wrote:What is the point of this map? We already have a Europe map that works/looks better.

the old europe is hideous. Have you ever been the blue player on that map? Disaster.
Captain mibi

Postby yeti_c on Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:46 am

Completely disagree on both points.

a) This map looks better.
b) This map plays better.
and
c) This map is of "Europe".

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby saaimen on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:16 am

Aussierager wrote:I need to ask if the above is correct about SMR and VAT only being able to be attacked from ITALY?

It's correct. The mapmaker himself wrote it. Don't doubt it.
Aussierager wrote:I would have thought that either FRANCE or SVN(Slovenia) would be able to attack SMR as these are adjoining territories!

Neither France, nor Slovenia are neighbours to San Marino. They are neighbours to Italy. But could they invade San Marino or Vatican in real life without going through Italy? No, they couldn't. So yes, only Italy can attack SMR and VAT, and vice versa.
Aussierager wrote:And Isn't it true in real life that GERMANY in the WWII 'Threatened' ITALY to join them because as we know GERMANY had a HUGE Tank Army and EASY access to ITALY's North via what was then a part of Greece?
And also near the end once ITALY had taken heavy losses and threatened to bail out that Germany then moved TANKS to southern france under the pretext of building defences against the allies when it was actually a threat to ITALY that if they in 44' decided to pull out germany knew they would lose so vowed to take out ITALY. And tanks then couldn't go over mountains.

Even if all that were true, would it matter? It's not a WWII map. In WWII, the baltic states weren't split up. Belarus didn't exist, aswell as alb, mne, bih and so on (EX-Yugoslavia... so there's no Yugoslavia. As there are no German tanks now, on this map).
Aussierager wrote:So perhaps its not as true a map if the north of italy cant be attacked from, or attack to, France or Germany/Greece(Now Known As Slovenkia).

The north of Italy CAN be attacked from France and vice versa. And oh, in real life, there are also mountains between Italy and Germany: the Alps. And 2 countries even lie between them: Switzerland and Austria. Maybe if you look closely, you might see those on the map. And Slovenkia (which is in fact Slovenia, a real life country too) does now not belong to neither Germany nor Greece. So you can't attack Italy from Germany. But hey, you CAN attack Italy from Greece. There's a route over the Mediterranean, which is ALSO on the map. And no, that's not the north of Italy, but if you really wanted to, you could always go through Slovenia. [/quote]
Aussierager wrote:Fix This and i will play the map for sure as its HEAPS better than the other Euro Maps.
My 2 Cents worth

It already is a lot better and needs no fixing. If you don't play it because of your silly remarks, then don't. I won't mind.
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"
Sergeant 1st Class saaimen

Postby Lord Dalley on Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:21 pm

Hi...I like the look of this new map well done...it's got a colourful striking look which suits my tastes! :D
Sergeant 1st Class Lord Dalley

Postby Halmir on Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

I like the look, nice and crisp (and besides, I couldn't resist a topic that runs to 58 pages already lol!)
Lieutenant Halmir

Postby MrBenn on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:36 pm

Thanks for the compliments :oops: Flattery will get you everywhere ;-)

Has anybody seen anybody take the Motherland bonus? I'm wondering if Kaliningrad needs to start neutral?
I'm also having my doubts about Switzerland starting neutral, as I'm not sure I've seen anyone take it yet?

Any thoughts?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:50 pm

MrBenn wrote:Thanks for the compliments :oops: Flattery will get you everywhere ;-)

Has anybody seen anybody take the Motherland bonus? I'm wondering if Kaliningrad needs to start neutral?
I'm also having my doubts about Switzerland starting neutral, as I'm not sure I've seen anyone take it yet?

Any thoughts?

In all of my games, the motherland has not yet come into play. Then again, I think you're in all of the games I'm in :lol:
What was the point of having Switzerland start neutral again?
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby MrBenn on Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:50 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:
MrBenn wrote:Has anybody seen anybody take the Motherland bonus? I'm wondering if Kaliningrad needs to start neutral?

Any thoughts?

In all of my games, the motherland has not yet come into play. Then again, I think you're in all of the games I'm in :lol:

Switzerland is the most politically neutral country in Europe, so it was something of a whim - although the number of neutral starts was planned to take away some of the bias from starting with 15 terrs on the first turn, for example.

-I'm contemplating reducing the neutral starts (Kaliningrad, Belgium, Cyprus and Switzerland) to 2 armies instead of 3, but am not too sure about it.
-Perhaps starting Russia neutral would be better than Kaliningrad?
-The Baltics is currently droppable, should that be blocked with a neutral instead of Switzerland? But then if you start there you've got 2 neutrals close together to get a bonus
Hmmm...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:52 pm

MrBenn wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:
MrBenn wrote:Has anybody seen anybody take the Motherland bonus? I'm wondering if Kaliningrad needs to start neutral?

Any thoughts?

Switzerland is the most politically neutral country in Europe, so it was something of a whim - although the number of neutral starts was planned to take away some of the bias from starting with 15 terrs on the first turn, for example.

-I'm contemplating reducing the neutral starts (Kaliningrad, Belgium, Cyprus and Switzerland) to 2 armies instead of 3, but am not too sure about it.
-Perhaps starting Russia neutral would be better than Kaliningrad?
-The Baltics is currently droppable, should that be blocked with a neutral instead of Switzerland? But then if you start there you've got 2 neutrals close together to get a bonus
Hmmm...

I'd keep the neutrals at 3, have Russia, Belgium, Cyprus, and one of the Baltics start neutral. I'm indifferent about Switzerland. If it makes the starting territory number better, keep it neutral.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby MrBenn on Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:50 pm

I'll see how some more of my games pan out before tinkering... but I'm inclined to shift the neutral locations rather than alter the army sizes...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby InsomniaRed on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:11 pm

Hmm I really don't think dropping the Baltics bonus is such a big deal, but since you blocked the others it may be a good idea, if you think it's worth it. If you need another neutral, I'd add it to Estonia. And if you want to move one instead of add another, then move Switzerland to Estonia. Also, if you are going to move the kgd neutral, I'd say move it to Georgia, not Russia. I just don't think Russia would be a good place for a neutral, but I don't know too much about maps. That's just an observation.

Great map MrBenn ;)
      I will always love you Nick, Forever.
      I will always love you Nick, Forever.
Major InsomniaRed

Postby edbeard on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:41 pm

I think you've got something like 150 more games than either Haiti or Charleston has and I don't really see people with valid complaints about this (or maybe I've just missed them). sounds like you might be fixing something that doesn't need it.
Lieutenant edbeard

Possible bug??

Postby delahoc on Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:44 am

This is my first game using the Europa map. I (red) have 6 armies in San Marino, and blue has 1 in Vatican City. According to the map I should be able to attack him, but San Marino does not appear in the attack drop down list. Is this a bug? If it is because San Marino is not supposed to be able to attack Vatican City, then that should somehow be indicated more clearly in the map.
----------------------------
Craig Delahoy
---------------------------
Sergeant 1st Class delahoc

Re: Possible bug??

Postby MrBenn on Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:03 am

delahoc wrote:This is my first game using the Europa map. I (red) have 6 armies in San Marino, and blue has 1 in Vatican City. According to the map I should be able to attack him, but San Marino does not appear in the attack drop down list. Is this a bug? If it is because San Marino is not supposed to be able to attack Vatican City, then that should somehow be indicated more clearly in the map.
MrBenn wrote:It's also worth pointing out that San Marino (SMR) and Vatican City (VAT) can only attack/be attacked by Italy.
Aussierager wrote:I need to ask if the above is correct about SMR and VAT only being able to be attacked from ITALY?
saaimen wrote:It's correct. The mapmaker himself wrote it. Don't doubt it.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Possible bug??

Postby delahoc on Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:09 am

MrBenn wrote:
delahoc wrote:This is my first game using the Europa map. I (red) have 6 armies in San Marino, and blue has 1 in Vatican City. According to the map I should be able to attack him, but San Marino does not appear in the attack drop down list. Is this a bug? If it is because San Marino is not supposed to be able to attack Vatican City, then that should somehow be indicated more clearly in the map.
MrBenn wrote:It's also worth pointing out that San Marino (SMR) and Vatican City (VAT) can only attack/be attacked by Italy.
saaimen wrote:It's correct. The mapmaker himself wrote it. Don't doubt it.

Thanks for that. It's not very clear from the map.
----------------------------
Craig Delahoy
---------------------------
Sergeant 1st Class delahoc

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas