Conquer Club

Holy Roman Empire 1648

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Holy Roman Empire 1648 [Quenched]

Postby pamoa on Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:30 am

Thanks guys, quite proud of myself :)
Big thanks to grayhawke and unit_2 =D>

For the medals surely grayhawke did the greatest part of the initial work with a major contribution from unit_2.
I don't want to interfere with his decision, he said it should be unit_2.
So grayhawke maybe can you explain to us why
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby grayhawke on Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:09 am

pamoa wrote:...
So grayhawke maybe can you explain to us why
Well...
I had an idea but not the talent, skill or patience to implement it. If it wasn't for unit_2 who kept the idea alive when I was prepared to let it die, and for pamoa who selflessly appplied his own time, skill and talent to finally implementing my idea, there would be no HRE 1648.

I am just pleased that the map exists and hope that people enjoy playing it.
Cadet grayhawke

Postby Unit_2 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:17 am

I don't care where my name is on the map :P Good job though Pamoa, you did a great job with the graphics, and good job Grayhawke on the game play, I congratulate myself for the little help I did, and sorry for not being much help, I've been busy IRL lately :-$
Corporal Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby pamoa on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:33 pm

Yes we are online !
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby Fuzzylogic99 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:42 pm

not sure where to post it

I played two games already and both game one of the player got a bonus on the drop
In game 1 I got a bonus on the drop and in game two my opponent got two bonuses. has anyone else palying this map have this issue.Im just wondering if the gameplay
is a bit off.The cannon seems to give a player too easy of a bonus.Just wondering what everyone thinks.Besides that I like the map alot
Private 1st Class Fuzzylogic99

Postby pamoa on Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:54 am

That's real bad luck.
But except such rarity it seems to me well balanced in overall. It's true that in a 1vs1 game 3 territories bonus can be held at start but they are also very exposed so not so easy to hold.
Last edited by pamoa on Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cadet pamoa

Postby oaktown on Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:11 pm

The "Schliesen" territory is spelled one way in the map, and another way in the code. This should be changed before the map leaves BETA.
Captain oaktown

Postby pamoa on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:54 am

oaktown wrote:The "Schliesen" territory is spelled one way in the map, and another way in the code. This should be changed before the map leaves BETA.

It is an XML bug. The fix is allready in Lackattack hands, Thanks
Cadet pamoa

Jester's Reivew of HRE 1648

Postby j35t3r.us on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:12 pm

My review:

7/10

Great map, fun stuff. A bit odd on the bonuses, the cannons are definitely fun. Especially since you don't need to participate in the country war if you stick with the cannon war.

Pros:
Cannons
Something new, something fresh!

Cons:
Small country bonuses
Lots of name cramping due to huge territory names.

Possible fixes:

Scattered land-bridge between Spanische Niederlande and Vereinigte Niederlande almost makes one think there is a connection. Could be confusing at first to people who haven't played the map.

TINY hole in mountains that block Burgund and Schweizerische Eidgenossenschaft. One could argue the two connect. Perhaps fill-in that hole more boldly(maybe bend the Frenche Comte Southern mountain tip downwards?) to eliminate any such assumptions.

Hinterpommern and Vorpommern are very close together and perhaps should be spaced a tiny bit more? Perhaps shave off the NE section on Danemark, scoot Vorpommern North a little. Shift Hinterpommern West a little, and shift the BOAT East a little. Basically rotate evertything clockwise a little.

Other than that, decent map.
Lieutenant j35t3r.us

Postby captainwalrus on Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:06 pm

I'm not sure what the exact odds are but someone in one of my games started with a group of cannon right at the start, giving him an advantage. I hope this isn't one of those maps were this happens a lot
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby The Neon Peon on Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:42 pm

captainwalrus wrote:I'm not sure what the exact odds are but someone in one of my games started with a group of cannon right at the start, giving him an advantage. I hope this isn't one of those maps were this happens a lot

Happened once out of the 10 games I have on it in a 6 man, so I would not say that it happens often.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

HRE 1648

Postby pamoa on Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:57 am

j35t3r.us wrote:...Scattered land-bridge between Spanische Niederlande and Vereinigte Niederlande almost makes one think there is a connection. Could be confusing at first to people who haven't played the map.
TINY hole in mountains that block Burgund and Schweizerische Eidgenossenschaft. One could argue the two connect. Perhaps fill-in that hole more boldly(maybe bend the Frenche Comte Southern mountain tip downwards?) to eliminate any such assumptions.
Hinterpommern and Vorpommern are very close together and perhaps should be spaced a tiny bit more? Perhaps shave off the NE section on Danemark, scoot Vorpommern North a little. Shift Hinterpommern West a little, and shift the BOAT East a little. Basically rotate evertything clockwise a little...

:evil: It is very unpleasant to ear about someone who want to give so many advices after everything is finished but never show up during the work.
My advice is that it is better if you take time reviewing maps during their elaboration process, at least when they are in final forge, or just keep quiet except for major issues.

captainwalrus wrote:I'm not sure what the exact odds are but someone in one of my games started with a group of cannon right at the start, giving him an advantage. I hope this isn't one of those maps were this happens a lot

It is very rare but can happen specially with few players and could be more difficult to counter with fog. But again very rare...
Cadet pamoa

Postby grayhawke on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:41 pm

I have calculated the following table:
Code: Select all
Number of players                      Percentage of games where at least 1 player holds a set
            2                                       100
            3                                        92
            4                                        52
            5                                        21
            6                                         9
            7                                         6
            8                                         5
Cadet grayhawke

Postby iancanton on Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:13 am

although i have severe doubts about the 100% probability, greyhawke (i think it's no more than 20%), the high chance of receiving a +2 bonus from the drop makes 2-player games far too much of a lottery. the easiest quick fix to make fairer starts is to reduce the bonus for each set to +1, but this undervalues sets in the middle and later stages. how about coding the xml so that there is no bonus for holding 1 set, but+2 for each additional set excluding the first (in other words, +0 for 1, +2 for 2, +4 for 3 and so on)?

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby pamoa on Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:48 am

Fuzzylogic99 wrote:I played two games already and both game one of the player got a bonus on the drop
In game 1 I got a bonus on the drop and in game two my opponent got two bonuses. has anyone else palying this map have this issue.Im just wondering if the gameplay
is a bit off.The cannon seems to give a player too easy of a bonus.Just wondering what everyone thinks.

The Neon Peon wrote:Happened once out of the 10 games I have on it in a 6 man, so I would not say that it happens often.

iancanton wrote:although i have severe doubts about the 100% probability, greyhawke (i think it's no more than 20%), the high chance of receiving a +2 bonus from the drop makes 2-player games far too much of a lottery. the easiest quick fix to make fairer starts is to reduce the bonus for each set to +1, but this undervalues sets in the middle and later stages. how about coding the xml so that there is no bonus for holding 1 set, but+2 for each additional set excluding the first (in other words, +0 for 1, +2 for 2, +4 for 3 and so on)?

a +2 bonus for a 6 territs region all exposed when you can get +3 for sudeuropa or innerkreis with 5 territs each and only 3 or 4 for exposed ones would make this bonus inoperative. Holding those 6 territs would be impossible. You must also record that it is easy to break those bonuses as they are very exposed. But if you guys think so we can lower it to +1. Should I make a poll?
Cadet pamoa

Postby iancanton on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:20 am

we must do something because there are too many unfair starts. however, u’re correct that +1 for holding three exposed territories is too little and this does not solve the problem of rewarding a lucky drop (it just reduces the reward). i prefer +0 for holding 1 set, +2 for 2 sets, +4 for 3 sets and so on. if u want the cannons to play a bigger part while avoiding the unfair starts, then +0 for holding 1 set, +3 for 2 sets, +6 for 3 sets and on is possible; this could be an interesting option because it’s quite easy to capture 2 sets (from the drop, a player is likely to have 3, 4 or 5 territories out of 6), but difficult to hold them – it also encourages people to attack neutral cannons and to play for the objective win.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby grayhawke on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:22 am

grayhawke wrote:I have calculated the following table:
Number of players                      Percentage of games where at least 1 player holds a set
            2                                       100
            3                                        92
            4                                        52
            5                                        21
            8                                         5

I have re-examined my calcs and found several flaws - shouldn't do these things in the small hours!
Please ignore this table.
Cadet grayhawke

Postby pamoa on Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:49 am

a +1 for the first should remain as if there are 4 or more players it is very hard even to get the first set and should be rewarded.
what about
    +1 first set of three
    +3 each following set
that would be a "+1 +4 +7 +10 victory" scale
Cadet pamoa

Postby grayhawke on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:36 am

I have produced the following table by simulating 10,000 drops for each number of players:
Number of players      Percentage of games where at least 1 player holds at least 1 set
            2                                        28
            3                                        39
            4                                        19
            5                                        12
            8                                         3

If there is a consensus to change the flat +2 bonus, I would support pamoa's scale of "+1 +4 +7 +10 victory"
Cadet grayhawke

Postby oaktown on Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:21 am

Hey Pamoa, map is looking good. The games I've been in have gone well and i have no major concerns with the map, but the comments you've received have been pretty thoughtful and warrant some consideration before the BETA tag is removed. After all, that's why we have the BETA tag in place - we're testing out the gameplay to see how users respond.

j35t3r.us wrote:Scattered land-bridge between Spanische Niederlande and Vereinigte Niederlande almost makes one think there is a connection. Could be confusing at first to people who haven't played the map.

I see his point here... the easiest fix would be to have the dotted attack line touch the Vereinigte mainland rather than the islands, because right now the attack route suggests that the islands are part of the territory, and those islands do indeed seemto touch Spanische Nied.

j35t3r.us wrote:TINY hole in mountains that block Burgund and Schweizerische Eidgenossenschaft. One could argue the two connect. Perhaps fill-in that hole more boldly(maybe bend the Frenche Comte Southern mountain tip downwards?) to eliminate any such assumptions.

I don't see what he's talking about here at all.

j35t3r.us wrote:Hinterpommern and Vorpommern are very close together and perhaps should be spaced a tiny bit more? Perhaps shave off the NE section on Danemark, scoot Vorpommern North a little. Shift Hinterpommern West a little, and shift the BOAT East a little. Basically rotate evertything clockwise a little...

This was my concern going way back, and while it's better now I can still see his concern. Simply moving the location of the Hinter army count coordinate up and to the right a few pixels would help attach the name to that coordinate without requiring a change to the map.

As for the likelihood of scoring a bonus on the drop, well, hmm. If Greyhawke's numbers are correct and a player starts with a bonus in nearly 40% of all games, that does seem a bit high. My suggestion would not be to lower the bonus, because making the cannons +1 would render them far less valuable; instead you could consider one of the following:

• make a third of the cannons neutral starts. You guarantee that nobody will drop a bonus, but you start the game with a bunch of neutral gaps.

• code ALL of the cannons into three starting positions. In a three player game each player will start with one cannon of each color; in a two player game each player with start with one cannon of each color and the remaining third will be split among the two players and the neutral; in games with four or more players the start tags will be ignored which is fine since the odds of dropping a bonus are lower in larger games anyway, and if one player does drop a bonus it is easier for multiple players do do something about it.
Captain oaktown

Postby ZeakCytho on Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:07 pm

One minor quibble from me. The first time I played this I completely missed the connection between Venedig and Osmanisches Reich. Is there any way you could make this attack route a bit more obvious?
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby oaktown on Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:03 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:One minor quibble from me. The first time I played this I completely missed the connection between Venedig and Osmanisches Reich. Is there any way you could make this attack route a bit more obvious?

Not sure how Pamoa would do that... a dark outer glow on the attack route dots might make them pop out more?

I was thinking the Osmansiches Reich - Polen borer was more problematic... it gets buried under the region title and the legend. Perhaps moving the Polen title and army count down into the center of the map more would draw players' attention to the fact that the region extends south across the map.
Captain oaktown

Postby grayhawke on Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:00 pm

oaktown wrote:... If Greyhawke's numbers are correct and a player starts with a bonus in nearly 40% of all games, that does seem a bit high. ....

Unlike my calculated figures, I'm pretty certain the results from my simulated drops program are OK. As a check I've looked at a small sample of finished games for 3,4 and 5 players, with the following results:
Players     Total Games       Games with bonus from drop
   3              20                        8  (40.0%)
   4              20                        4  (20.0%)
   5              16                        2  (12.5%)
Cadet grayhawke

Postby RjBeals on Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:26 pm

Just wanted to say congrats on the quench pamoa. I haven't followed this thread too closely, but this is one of the best looking maps to date on the site. Well done !
Private RjBeals

Postby pamoa on Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:25 am

j35t3r.us wrote:Scattered land-bridge between Spanische Niederlande and Vereinigte Niederlande almost makes one think there is a connection. Could be confusing at first to people who haven't played the map.
oaktown wrote:I see his point here... the easiest fix would be to have the dotted attack line touch the Vereinigte mainland rather than the islands, because right now the attack route suggests that the islands are part of the territory, and those islands do indeed seemto touch Spanische Nied.

I don't think he was speaking about making a clearer route between Frankreich and Verieinigte Niederlande but creating a new one between the two netherlands. I won't do so but can move the sea route as suggested.

j35t3r.us wrote:Hinterpommern and Vorpommern are very close together and perhaps should be spaced a tiny bit more? Perhaps shave off the NE section on Danemark, scoot Vorpommern North a little. Shift Hinterpommern West a little, and shift the BOAT East a little. Basically rotate evertything clockwise a little...
oaktown wrote:This was my concern going way back, and while it's better now I can still see his concern. Simply moving the location of the Hinter army count coordinate up and to the right a few pixels would help attach the name to that coordinate without requiring a change to the map.

I'll change the coordinates

ZeakCytho wrote:One minor quibble from me. The first time I played this I completely missed the connection between Venedig and Osmanisches Reich. Is there any way you could make this attack route a bit more obvious?
oaktown wrote:Not sure how Pamoa would do that... a dark outer glow on the attack route dots might make them pop out more?

Missing connections in a map the first game happen on each new map, that part of the learning curve... ;)

oaktown wrote:I was thinking the Osmansiches Reich - Polen borer was more problematic... it gets buried under the region title and the legend. Perhaps moving the Polen title and army count down into the center of the map more would draw players' attention to the fact that the region extends south across the map.

Same as before and as I explained earlier in this thread armies position do correspond to regional capital Warsaw in this case.

oaktown wrote:As for the likelihood of scoring a bonus on the drop, well, hmm. If Greyhawke's numbers are correct and a player starts with a bonus in nearly 40% of all games, that does seem a bit high.
...make a third of the cannons neutral starts. You guarantee that nobody will drop a bonus, but you start the game with a bunch of neutral gaps.

For this I'll make a poll
either
    +1 first set of three
    +3 each following set

that would be a "+1 +4 +7 +10 victory" scale
or
    Bavaria (Electors)
    Preussen (Prussians)
    Spanische Niederlande (Spaniards)
    Österreich (Austrians)
    Münster (Bishops)

starts neutral

And thanks RjBeals
Cadet pamoa

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas