Conquer Club

Iceland [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby benny profane on Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:16 pm

i actually prefer the cream color over the orange.
seems to fit the map better, and it's not hard to distinguish.
i very much like the topographical feel, or "shilvering."

can we coin "shilvering"?
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby gimil on Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:22 pm

I like both versions of the map, so im not fussed. Ma man RJ will pull the results :wink:

Any im here to enquire about the poll, its set to unlimted. Are you finished with it RJ? Would you like it removed?
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby FreeMan10 on Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Orange + Cream = Creamsicle! mmmmmmm Creamsicle.....

Get the creamsicle color working and put some glaciers in there for the white ice cream.

Dang, now I'm hungry.
Cadet FreeMan10

Postby lozzini on Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:30 pm

i think the mountain/volcano should be a terratory, with a bonus of one for holding it
Top Rank: Captain
Top Score: 1835
Top Pos: 1707
Nothing ventured... nothing gained
Sergeant 1st Class lozzini

Postby RjBeals on Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:08 pm

gimil wrote:Any im here to enquire about the poll, Are you finished with it RJ? Would you like it removed?
Oh Yeah.. I always forget to set the polls to a time limit. thanks gimil.
Private RjBeals

Postby gimil on Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:32 pm

Initial thoughts?
Continue Work. I like the gameplay & graphical direction as is
51% [ 46 ]

Continue Work. Keep the relief (land) graphics more simple.
2% [ 2 ]

Continue Work. Graphics are fine, but gameplay needs to be evened out
26% [ 24 ]

Not Interested. Why would we want a map of barely unihabited land?
1% [ 1 ]

Not Interested. However, with more work, it has potential.
2% [ 2 ]

Quench!
16% [ 15 ]

Total Votes : 90

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Guiscard on Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:59 pm

I actually think the whiter version of the two looks the better one.

One thing that bothers me a little, however, is the legend. Although the colours are fairly distinct on the map, they are perhaps a little less so on the legend and I think a small version would suffer even more so. There's plenty of space down there, however, so I was thinking an outline map, as in the Great Lakes map, with the bonus numbers within may be better?
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby oaktown on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:04 pm

i'm about ready to stamp this map for gameplay, since the discussion is mostly around graphics issues. Can you clarify what the bonuses are, because you seem to have taken a step backwards on the latest version.
Captain oaktown

Postby RjBeals on Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:58 pm

oaktown wrote:i'm about ready to stamp this map for gameplay, since the discussion is mostly around graphics issues. Can you clarify what the bonuses are, because you seem to have taken a step backwards on the latest version.

What do you mean step backward? I adjusted the bonuses based on feedback. Plus, I haven't really done much with this in a while. It's kind of my style to have little bursts of creativity, then a down period. I like having these projects as works in progress.

Private RjBeals

Postby oaktown on Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:51 pm

my fault - I was looking at your animated two-color version in your most recent post, which shows the old bonuses.

Seeing no recent objections to any mechanical issues, I'd like to stamp this... the gameplay is pretty straightforward, the map is easy to understand. That doesn't mean you can't still make changes, but it seems quite playable as is.

Captain oaktown

Postby Sir. Ricco on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:15 am

Put this in the Final Forge. The graphics are awsome! :D
Captain Sir. Ricco

Postby gimil on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:50 pm

ok RJ i think were ready for both small and large versions of hte map :)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby onbekende on Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:01 am

aside from what my bonus calculations gave me (don't want to write it all out, need to go out soon)

West fjords can do with a +3, no?
Easter Region can also do with a +3.

I can life with the current bonusses, thou prefer Eastern Region changed before West fjord.
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby RjBeals on Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:50 am

gimil wrote:ok RJ i think were ready for both small and large versions of hte map :)

Not ready yet. I still want to work on the title & legend, and want to change eastern back to the cream color. I've been busy recently, but soon will fine the time to edit some stuff. There's a few borders I want to touch up also.

Bonuses could use some debate as well. I at first had them all as +3. But changed a few to +4. All regions are about the same to hold.
Private RjBeals

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:27 pm

Back in the days of the early Foundry, Directional Continental Names were a peeve of mine...at least when used on a map where Directions really aren't important. Have you found any other names the Regions go by, other than directions?

As for Bonuses, it looks like this will be a map of amalgamated continents.

I.E. --->Once you grab a continent, it isn't too difficult to expand your might...as the number of Borders will only grow by one or maybe 2.

Specifically regarding the bonuses...

Consider these facts
      West Fjord = 6 Territories, 2 Borders, Bonus of 4.
      Western Region = 5 Territories, 3 Borders, Bonus of 4.
      Southern Region = 7 Territories, 3 Borders, Bonus of 4.
      Eastern Region = 6 Territories, 2 Borders, Bonus of 4.

If Borders are better at determining Bonus Value, I'd consider West fjord and Eastern Region to have a Value of 3...as the 2 Borders each have seem more worthy of a 3 Value.

Western Region, though with one less Territory than West Fjord and Eastern Region, the added Border I think would justify the Value of 4.

Southern Region looks fine with a Value of 4.

It may seem a little odd I suppose to have two 6 Territory regions with a Bonus Value of 3, when you have a 4 Territory region with the same Bonus Value, but I think the extra Border Reykjavik has is enough to balance that, or come close at least.

So in summation, I'd consider lowering Eastern Region and West Fjord to a Bonus Value of 3, due to the reasons mentioned above. Of course, this all may be faulty, so more thoughts are needed! :)

Lastly, this map is perhaps one of my favorite visual maps. That said, the font for the sea text looks a little too "computer-esque" to fit with this map style I think. Otherwise, everything looks superb!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby gimil on Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:28 pm

I think thats the longest post andy has ever done :shock:

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:31 pm

Haha, maybe in some recent time yeah. But back in the day I was know for my long detailed posts...but that was when I had as much time as hairs on my head! I'm starting to bald a little in the Foundry. ;)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby gimil on Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:36 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Haha, maybe in some recent time yeah. But back in the day I was know for my long detailed posts...but that was when I had as much time as hairs on my head! I'm starting to bald a little in the Foundry. ;)

--Andy

To enought vitamins in your bananas!

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby RjBeals on Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:56 pm

AndyDufresne wrote: Have you found any other names the Regions go by, other than directions?
Not really. It also seems a little generic to me, but those "directional" names are what the regions are actually referred to as. I wish there was an Islandic member who could help out. I will keep researching region names though.

As far as bonus amounts, Your suggestion seems okay to me.
Code: Select all
West Fjords   +4 (You suggest +3)
Western Reg   +4
Reykjavik     +3
Southern Reg  +4
Eastern Reg   +4 (You suggest +3)
Northern Reg  +5

Your suggestions seem fine with me. I have no problems, and they do seem fair.

AndyDufresne wrote:That said, the font for the sea text looks a little too "computer-esque" to fit with this map style I think.

You mean the light blue Breidafjordur and Reykjanes Reninsula? Those were added during the very original creation, and I've pretty much overlooked them. I don't have any blending effects on them, like the territory names. They are just italic arial text. I do kind of like having them, and as someone mentioned earlier, It would be nice to label the glaciers since they are such a big part of the map/island.

I really value your long detailed posts Andy. You're a very secretive mysterious foundry member here, and I don't know much about you like I do some of the other regulars. But I do know you take your time to study these maps and give 100% valuable constructive feedback. Thanks for the positive comments, come back anytime!

My goal is to have this map live by September.
Private RjBeals

Postby HungrySomali on Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:26 pm

Beautiful looking map. I, for one, prefer the "creamsicle" color.
Corporal HungrySomali

Postby The Viking on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:31 am

Would you mind if I made some suggestions regarding territory&continent names?

I'm Icelandic.
Corporal 1st Class The Viking

Postby yeti_c on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:44 am

The Viking wrote:Would you mind if I made some suggestions regarding territory&continent names?

I'm Icelandic.

I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem for RJ...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby RjBeals on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:22 pm

The Viking wrote:Would you mind if I made some suggestions regarding territory&continent names?

I'm Icelandic.

Please do - I've been waiting for some Icelandic Input. BTW, I've kind of on hiatus from this map, as I've taken on a few more real work projects. I'll be doing some traveling also the next couple of weeks. But towards the spring, I should have some more free time to devote to the map (and forum in general). Thanks Viking!
Private RjBeals

Postby The Viking on Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:18 pm

No problem :)

Dalvik - Dalvík is just a tiny town/village in that general area, not much bigger than other nearby towns, so Dalvík if not a fitting name.
[This area would more correctly be called 'Tröllaskagi'.

Saudarkrokur - Same as with Dalvík, a more fitting name would be Skagi, which is what the peninsula that extends out of the region is called. A more common name for that area is Skagafjörður, and it probably suits the region better though the borders are a bit different.

Hvammstangi - Húnavatn, Húnaþing, Húnaflói, one of these will do. Húnavatn is the name of the lake the area is always referred to, Húnaþing is the official name of the county, Húnaflói is the name of the bay off the shores of the region.

Bifröst - Should be called Holtavörðuheiði.

Vatnsfjörður - This is a tricky area, there is little basis for it in real life but I suggest either Reiphólsfjöll or Steingrímsfjarðarheiði.
Reiphólsfjöll are notable mountains in the area, Steingrímsfjarðarheiði is the area between the fjords it 'touches' on the north side and the fjords it 'touches' in the east side(about where the no. of armies lies).

Bolungarvik - Definitely Ísafjörður.
It's the biggest town of the Vestfirðir/West fjords and deserves the title more than Bolungarvik, which is rarely ever mentioned.

Drangsnes - Maybe Árnes, but there's not much distinction between these two in my mind.

Ólafsvík - Snæfell/Snæfellsnes. Preferrably the latter, if not excessively long.

Keflavík - Personally, I'd call this Reykjanes, but maybe it's more 'fun' having it Keflavík in case someone recognises the name from the U.S. Army base that used to be there. You decide, they're each as good to me.

Geysir - If this map was made for&by Icelanders this territory would be called Þingvellir, which is the name of perhaps the most historically important place for Icelanders.
But it isn't, so maybe Geysir is better as more people recognize it.

Snæfell - I guess if you change Ólafsvík to Snæfell/Snæfellsnes it would be wise to change this as well, but I can't seem to find a fitting name for this territory.
The Lögur (lake), which is the 3rd largest lake in Iceland, is in this area, so you could name it after that.
Or not change either, that would work to. After all the names don't really matter that much.

Höfn - Djúpivogur.

Seyðisfjörður - The actual Seyðisfjörður isn't within that region's borders, I'd call this Héraðsflói.

Raufarhöfn - Melrakkaslétta is the name of the peninsula extending out of the region.

Húsavík - You could call this Mývatn, after the beautiful lake the region is best known for, and the northern part of the area is generally called Skjálfandi, but Húsavík is just as valid.

Reykjahlíð - Definitely Ódáðahraun. It's lava-covered ground + moss + some bushes for miles and miles. Definitely the most well known part of the region.

Oh, and one minor mistake, it's Vestmannaeyjar in one word, not Vestmannaey Jar :)
Ey is eyjar in plural.

The 'continents'...

Well we're very un-original when it comes to naming land-quarters as they're called here, you pretty much got it.
I don't think I can suggest any alternatives to any of these names :shock:

Well maybe you could call the East fjords 'Hérað', but I'm not sure though.

Anyways, sorry for being such a ... stickler, perfectionist, whatever. After all I'm probably the only one who'd notice :lol:
Corporal 1st Class The Viking

Postby RjBeals on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:00 pm

whoah....
Let me take a day or 2 to read over your post. I'll post some feedback then. Thanks
Private RjBeals

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas