Conquer Club

Iceland [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby The Viking on Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:24 am

As I said, much of this doesn't really matter at all, just suggestions if you're looking for alternatives in some cases :)
For example Vatnsfjörður, Drangsnes, Höfn, Raufarhöfn, Húsavík, these are all fine, no worse than any suggestions I made.
Corporal 1st Class The Viking

Postby gangster2b on Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:19 pm

The map looks very good, I would like to play on it, good job! 8) :D
Private 1st Class gangster2b

Postby FreeMan10 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:18 pm

The Viking wrote:Dalvik - Dalvík is just a tiny town/village in that general area, not much bigger than other nearby towns, so Dalvík if not a fitting name.
(This area would more correctly be called 'Tröllaskagi'.)
<snip>
After all the names don't really matter that much.
<snip>
Reykjahlíð - Definitely Ódáðahraun. It's lava-covered ground + moss + some bushes for miles and miles. Definitely the most well known part of the region.
<snip>

I found this to be an extremely funny comment made in the midst of a HUGE post on names! No offense meant, Viking, and the input is very valuable - I just laughed when I saw that.
Cadet FreeMan10

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:38 pm

RJ, any news on an Update? This map is also one that has an exceptional amount of potential, and I'd hate to see if fall into the Foundry Furnace.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby PerkinsRooster on Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:04 am

I'm looking forward to playing this one...
Let's golf.
Major PerkinsRooster

Postby CatfishJohnson on Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:18 am

same here, my ancestory is back to iceland, and im trying to learn it, yeah, that was a good choice lol, its really intense to learn
Cook CatfishJohnson

Postby bryguy on Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:22 am

CatfishJohnson wrote:same here, my ancestory is back to iceland, and im trying to learn it, yeah, that was a good choice lol, its really intense to learn

i like iceland cause thats where st. patrick went! or is that ireland? oh well the only difference is one letter
Corporal bryguy

Postby RjBeals on Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:34 am

AndyDufresne wrote:RJ, any news on an Update? This map is also one that has an exceptional amount of potential, and I'd hate to see if fall into the Foundry Furnace.

No, my Charleston, SC map fell into the furnace - I don't want to let this one also !! I've been slowly winding down at work, and will shortly begin working on this map again. Sometimes it's good to take a long break because you can start fresh again with new ideas! This map will be quenched one day !
Private RjBeals

Postby CatfishJohnson on Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:43 am

how is the map going i rly rly like this map
Cook CatfishJohnson

Postby CatfishJohnson on Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:43 am

rofl bry rofl, is ur name bryan cause thats mine, just figured sorry about the off topic
Cook CatfishJohnson

Re: Iceland (Update 1st Post & 4th Page)

Postby Derwiddle on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:00 am

Beautiful map!! Can't wait to play on it! :)
Opportune-Moment
op·por·tune mo·ment
n.
A point in time well suited for doing something incredibly stupid.
Private 1st Class Derwiddle

Postby Herakilla on Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:16 am

if the image on the first page is the one with 36 territories i would advise try to get in some more territories or take a few out so then when ppl play 2 or 3 player games the player going first doesnt have such a huge advantage since they start with 4 armies and if they take one territory the player that lost it is already down to 3 armies a turn (since everyone starts with 12)
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby sam_levi_11 on Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:25 pm

i his map, it looks amazin and the fact the glaciers are there mean that ring gameplay is really different.
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Postby RjBeals on Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:24 pm

I Don't know how to get around the images cutting off the 726 pixels wide,
so if you hold SHIFT and click the image, it will open up in a browser window.

PREVIOUS VERSION

Update April-09.
Well I thought I should get busy with this map again. Here are my most recent updates....

1) Again changed colors.
2) Changed legend to be a "mini-map".
3) Changed ICELAND title
4) brightened colors a bit.
5) Added Glacier Names.
6) Misc small adjusments.

The Viking..
You made a serious post a while ago with some region name change suggestions. My only issue is that all the region names you've suggested have those Icelandic / Nordic type characters. I wanted to keep the region names in just the normal English 26 characters, and not so huge in length. Especially since XML only handles normal 26 characters. If you can fix the spelling of your suggestions, I'll change what I can on my end.

All comments are welcome !!
Private RjBeals

Re: Iceland (April-9 Update 1st Post & 8th Pg)

Postby oaktown on Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:42 pm

Hurrah! I'm happy to see this map back in action. Looks good, as always - maybe soften the colors of the mini map a bit so it doesn't look too much like and thus distract from the actual playing area.

As for non English characters, I've used some in the Berlin map and they worked fine... even Bob handles them, now that we worked out the ampersand issue. You'll have to use the character entity references in your XML rather than the character itself. For instance, here's a few lines of Berlin's XML, in which "&#x00FC;" makes the character "ü":

Code: Select all
   <continent>
      <name>Russian Sector</name>
      <bonus>5</bonus>
      <components>
         <component>Rahnsdorf</component>
         <component>M&#x00FC;ggelheim</component>
         <component>Gr&#x00FC;nau</component>
         <component>Treptow</component>
         <component>K&#x00F6;penick</component>

Here's a list of codes...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_XM ... references
Captain oaktown

Postby RjBeals on Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:50 pm

Hmm.. Thanks for that input oaktown. In that case, I'll consider using special characters on the map & XML then. It would definitely make it more authentic. I'll take a look at some of those names and Vikings post & see what I can do. I'll try to make the next update a little quicker than 3 months. ;)
Private RjBeals

Postby CatfishJohnson on Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:50 pm

Damn man, i like it, looks freakin sweet, glad to see it back in action, i like how u added glacier names, but i bet a dollar someone is gonna bitch that its gonna confuse them, so i hope u keep them good work
Cook CatfishJohnson

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:00 pm

This map looks awesome. I'm tired of all the new maps coming out with tons of strange gimmicks. A normal, conquest-style map is definitely the best for me. I can't wait until this is playable.
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby oaktown on Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:12 pm

CatfishJohnson wrote:Damn man, i like it, looks freakin sweet, glad to see it back in action, i like how u added glacier names, but i bet a dollar someone is gonna bitch that its gonna confuse them, so i hope u keep them good work

I thought about that too, but the names are light against a light background and shouldn't be confused for territories. of course, somebody always finds a way to surprise me.
Captain oaktown

Postby CatfishJohnson on Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:14 pm

lol indeed indeed my hippo friend
Cook CatfishJohnson

Postby yeti_c on Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:27 pm

Herakilla wrote:if the image on the first page is the one with 36 territories i would advise try to get in some more territories or take a few out so then when ppl play 2 or 3 player games the player going first doesnt have such a huge advantage since they start with 4 armies and if they take one territory the player that lost it is already down to 3 armies a turn (since everyone starts with 12)

RJ - did you see this post?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby RjBeals on Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:43 pm

yeti_c wrote:
Herakilla wrote:if the image on the first page is the one with 36 territories i would advise try to get in some more territories or take a few out so then when ppl play 2 or 3 player games the player going first doesnt have such a huge advantage since they start with 4 armies and if they take one territory the player that lost it is already down to 3 armies a turn (since everyone starts with 12)

C.

Yes. But that's a huge change. Sorry I didn't respond Herakilla. I see your point though, but there are other maps with only 36 territs that seem to work. Do you think the bonus values are too high? Should I reduce them?
Private RjBeals

Postby yeti_c on Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:48 pm

RjBeals wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

C.

Yes. But that's a huge change. Sorry I didn't respond Herakilla. I see your point though, but there are other maps with only 36 territs that seem to work. Do you think the bonus values are too high? Should I reduce them?

I suppose you could always tweak the XML to give 3 armies for 12 territories?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Re:

Postby RjBeals on Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:05 pm

The Viking wrote:
Name Suggestion Post HERE

Seeing as how we can use those fancy schmancy characters on our maps, here's what I've decided to change based on your post.

Dalvik – Tröllaskagi
Saudarkrokur - Skagi
Hvammstangi - Húnavatn
Bifröst - Holtavörðuheiði
Vatnsfjörður - Reiphólsfjöll
Bolungarvik - Ísafjörður
Höfn - Djúpivogur
Seyðisfjörður - Héraðsflói
Raufarhöfn - Melrakkaslétta
Reykjahlíð - Ódáðahraun

Vestmannaeyjar in one word, not Vestmannaey Jar

My other question is...
Originally I tried placing army circles close to where those towns were located. That's why some of the circles look not centered when they could be. Like Kerlingarfjoll and Vopnafjordur. Should I go ahead and center all army circles that can be moved? I think it would make the map look better - most people don't associate army circles with town locations anyway. Thanks

Private RjBeals

Postby CatfishJohnson on Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:52 pm

i dont think it matters any which way man, id like it w/e way u want, i love this map and cant wait, u have no idea
Cook CatfishJohnson

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas