Conquer Club

Treasures of Galápagos [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Treasures of Galápagos [Quenched]

Postby hulmey on Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:44 pm

great idea - love the new changes, would make the game flow alot better!
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby LLLUUUKKKEEE on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:17 pm

Crissipos wrote:yes if you do all 7 options it would be a lot better! :)
although they can connect to all others, as long as the neutrals are high, so 10 is good!

agreed
It's your turn...................................
Sergeant LLLUUUKKKEEE

Postby cairnswk on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:22 pm

There seems to be consensus that the new gameplay numbers are good.
I have left the connections between the luggers as they are, with the starting neutrals on each lugger at 10.

Here is the starting numbers below.

* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby oaktown on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:24 pm

bah, I stamped this one for gameplay as well, didn't I... you're making me look bad cairnswk. ;)

I haven't played a game on this map, so I don't have much to say about the play issues. At least it looks like it'll be less trouble than Schlos.
Captain oaktown

Postby cairnswk on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:31 pm

oaktown wrote:bah, I stamped this one for gameplay as well, didn't I... you're making me look bad cairnswk. ;)

I haven't played a game on this map, so I don't have much to say about the play issues. At least it looks like it'll be less trouble than Schlos.

Oaktown...what about me....but my slant is that as long as it gets redone and everyone is happy with it, that's the positive outcome...afterall we don't a have a testing ground.
I am still getting my head around formulating some of this gameplay stuff, and perhaps i didn't take enough attention to the luggers power, but then neither did others who commented. So it had to be re-done.
Private cairnswk

Postby *manimal on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:46 pm

now when does the new one getting installed?
147 *manimal 2586 1081 435 (40%) Colonel Colonel 4.1 United States United States
‹zsp› y is wicked not a mod?
‹blakebowling› because Twill is an egotistical asshole
Captain *manimal

Postby cairnswk on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:52 pm

*manimal wrote:now when does the new one getting installed?

The xml has to be re-checked so could be sometime, if there isn't any dissention.
Private cairnswk

Postby *manimal on Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:00 pm

cairnswk wrote:
*manimal wrote:now when does the new one getting installed?

The xml has to be re-checked so could be sometime, if there isn't any dissention.

k.
147 *manimal 2586 1081 435 (40%) Colonel Colonel 4.1 United States United States
‹zsp› y is wicked not a mod?
‹blakebowling› because Twill is an egotistical asshole
Captain *manimal

Postby ZeroDJoe on Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:17 pm

Reef 2 Analysis
To Lugger Genocruz - 14 (3 terts)

i insist! cant u go reef2-MA2-Genocruz? thats 12 (2terts)!
maybe u wanted to cut the pass reef2 - MA2?
Sergeant 1st Class ZeroDJoe

Postby cairnswk on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:12 am

ZeroDJoe wrote:Reef 2 Analysis
To Lugger Genocruz - 14 (3 terts)

i insist! cant u go reef2-MA2-Genocruz? thats 12 (2terts)!
maybe u wanted to cut the pass reef2 - MA2?

how about an impassible reef in there between those two?
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:34 am

cairnswk wrote:EDIT: Adjustments made to this map:

1. all luggers neutral start should increase to 10.
2. lugger wolwin will border Darwin only
3. territories around MA3 adjusted because it was the only tert between that reef 3 and lugger genocruz
4. the decay bonus can be removed from the snorkel
5. the bonus for lugger and snorkel needs to come down to +1
6. the bonus for water and snorkel needs to come down to +1
7. luggers still connect to every other lugger
8. terts IW1 and IW2 have been added to the bottom left of map
9. new reef between MA2 and Lugger Genocruz
10. Water added to Isabela North
11. various neutral starts increased and decreased where necessary to better balance the map

Starting neutrals

Small
Small w/ armies

Large
Click image to enlarge.

Large w/ armies

Code: Select all
Test results:
Summary: 0 errors and 0 warnings detected in _galapagos_240808.xml (173 continents, 73 territories)

http://h1.ripway.com/cairnswk/_galapagos_240808.xml
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... s_v26S.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... s_v26L.jpg
Last edited by cairnswk on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby Forza AZ on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:57 pm

The XML of the new version has been checked, and is correct now.
Highest score: 3130 (9 July 2009)
Colonel Forza AZ

Postby barterer2002 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:51 pm

Cairns its one of the more beautiful maps out there. Not to busy and nicely colored. I think the changes will be a positive step but I wonder if its necessary to give a +1 bonus for each Reef plus Lagger. In a 1v1 game you're starting with 3 reefs so getting a lagger is already a 3X the bonus since it compiles with each of the reefs. Adding 10 to the laggers is a good start though. I'll be interested to see how it plays out.
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby cairnswk on Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:45 pm

barterer2002 wrote:Cairns its one of the more beautiful maps out there. Not to busy and nicely colored. I think the changes will be a positive step but I wonder if its necessary to give a +1 bonus for each Reef plus Lagger. In a 1v1 game you're starting with 3 reefs so getting a lagger is already a 3X the bonus since it compiles with each of the reefs. Adding 10 to the laggers is a good start though. I'll be interested to see how it plays out.

yes let's see how this one plays...if it needs adjusting again, then it can be done later.
Private cairnswk

Postby pempi on Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:56 pm

playing this map in three games - it seems to have a bug in two of them. All started fine but now the territories seem to have gone "random" I started on reef 9 now i am not there and there is nothing there. Silver appeared next to me out of nowhere as hw started on reef 8 and green on reef 7.
http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=3106102

similarly this has gone wrong as well, once again started on reef 9.
http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=3114544

the game logs seem to have "adjusted" to the bug.

All seems fine in this game - same map.
http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=3113629

Regards
Pempi
"So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak"

Winner of RISK GAME: THE CLASSIC tournament
Best of the Best Tournament Winner (and Classic map champion)
2345678 League Finalist
Major pempi

Postby cairnswk on Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:05 pm

pempi wrote:playing this map in three games - it seems to have a bug in two of them. All started fine but now the territories seem to have gone "random" I started on reef 9 now i am not there and there is nothing there. Silver appeared next to me out of nowhere as hw started on reef 8 and green on reef 7.
http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=3106102

similarly this has gone wrong as well, once again started on reef 9.
http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=3114544

the game logs seem to have "adjusted" to the bug.

All seems fine in this game - same map.
http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=3113629

Regards
Pempi

Pempi...i apologise, but lackattack has just uploaded the adjustments to this map to make it more balanced.

Unfortunately there is no other way of doing this apart from stopping and starting the map. There was a large outcry from the community because of the imbalance, so it had to be rectified and quickly this time (not like Das Schloss). I'm sure you'll pick it up quickly.
Private cairnswk

Postby edbeard on Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:15 pm

it's weird that no armies show up on Reef 9 or the territories next to it. Anyone willing to join a game vs me to see if the errors are really gone?

three player

Game 3125819

pw: testing124
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Lincecum on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:00 pm

Playing this map in Game 3112111 and it seems my territories got partially randomized, including re-writing the logs with seemingly impossible moves to "show" how I got to current (incorrect) state.

Seems this problem is acknowledged above, but how about a formal announcement somewhere on the site, or at least leaving a PM for people playing the map or a post on the games impacted?
Captain Lincecum

Postby cairnswk on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:28 pm

Lincecum wrote:Playing this map in Game 3112111 and it seems my territories got partially randomized, including re-writing the logs with seemingly impossible moves to "show" how I got to current (incorrect) state.

Seems this problem is acknowledged above, but how about a formal announcement somewhere on the site, or at least leaving a PM for people playing the map or a post on the games impacted?

Yes apologies for that one too, and to everyone else who is going to be affected by this "adjustment"
However, without sounding too glib...isn't it wonderful when life throws a little surprise at you?? :)
Private cairnswk

Postby ABSOLUTE_MASTER on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:30 pm

Lincecum wrote:Seems this problem is acknowledged above, but how about a formal announcement somewhere on the site, or at least leaving a PM for people playing the map or a post on the games impacted?

I guess that'd be asking for too much.... It seems to be easier to confuse everyone and let everyone think there is something wrong with the map..

There is life outside the Map Foundry, if you guys are going to make a change WHILE the map is being used, it could be nice of you to let players know (pms, general forum...etc)

I was so happy for playing the Galapagos map ( I'm from Ecuador) and this just ruined the experience..

Here is another post about the same issue: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60549

Lindax wrote:Is there something strange going on with that map, or is it me? Just took my turns in 2 games, armies showed up where they weren't before and there are squares without any armies on them. This one of the games as an example:

Game 3088782

Looks to me like there is some glitch somewhere, or am I missing something about that map?

On a different note, the map is really nice, me likes....
"You have undertaken to cheat me. I won't sue you, for the law is too slow. I'll ruin you." -- Cornelius Vanderbilt
Lieutenant ABSOLUTE_MASTER

Postby cairnswk on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:48 pm

ABSOLUTE_MASTER wrote:.....
There is life outside the Map Foundry, if you guys are going to make a change WHILE the map is being used, it could be nice of you to let players know (pms, general forum...etc)
On a different note, the map is really nice, me likes....

Thanks for your comments ABSOLUTE_MASTER....i'm sure this can't be that bad a deal that you'd throw Cc away simply because the mapmaker FIXED THE MAP, to make it better and more balanced for everyone. :)
I am not going to go to the extent of PMing everyone in the 277 active games at present, nor am i putting up a discussion thread in GD, this is what the foundry is for and the announcement was made here. You obviously found it.

EDIt: If i was to Put up an announcement in GD, you'd probably complain anyways saying i don't go to the GD to read the threads before playing my map. ;)

I am pleased you like it... :) :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:24 pm

cairnswk wrote:EDIT: Adjustments made to this map:

1. all luggers neutral start should increase to 10.
2. lugger wolwin will border Darwin only
3. territories around MA3 adjusted because it was the only tert between that reef 3 and lugger genocruz
4. the decay bonus can be removed from the snorkel
5. the bonus for lugger and snorkel needs to come down to +1
6. the bonus for water and snorkel needs to come down to +1
7. luggers still connect to every other lugger
8. terts IW1 and IW2 have been added to the bottom left of map
9. new reef between MA2 and Lugger Genocruz
10. Water added to Isabela North
11. various neutral starts increased and decreased where necessary to better balance the map

Starting neutrals

Small
Small w/ armies

Large
Click image to enlarge.

Large w/ armies

Code: Select all
Test results:
Summary: 0 errors and 0 warnings detected in _galapagos_240808.xml (173 continents, 73 territories)

http://h1.ripway.com/cairnswk/_galapagos_240808.xml
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... s_v26S.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... s_v26L.jpg
Private cairnswk

Postby Lincecum on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:37 pm

Cairnswk, a few things:
1) I really like the map (I actually came back from an *amazing* trip to the Galápagos Islands to find it had been installed - a very pleasant surprise...if anyone wants to see trip pics PM me) and appreciate the countless hours of work you and many others do in creating maps and adding game functionality, which expands the Conquer Club experience for all. So thanks!

2) (And this part isn't really directed at you, but a general statement for "the powers that be" - whoever that may be in this case) CC is just a game. Yes, my single game on this single map is messed up, but I can accept that and move on. However in my case CC is also a paid service. I tend to hold paid services to a higher standard than free sites with respect to expectations of service levels and customer service, and, were this not "just a game" (or if it were a game with financial stakes), I would be raising some serious hell about it. Food for thought.

3) I realize it would be difficult to notify via PM or by posting a message in every current game using this map. However, I also have no idea how frequent this kind of snafu is. If it is infrequent, I think the difficulty of someone (not necessarily you, perhaps mods/admins) making some sort of announcement is justified. If frequent, perhaps CC should make an administrative tool which makes this kind of notification (by map or other attribute) less difficult. At the very least, it might be worth investigating how many games are actually impacted so a determination can be made how much work this would be and what an appropriate response is.

4) I highly doubt my current opponents read the forums for this kind of information. I highly doubt my current opponents read the forums at all. I know that the forums exist enough that I was able to find my way here and write about my problems. Again, food for thought for customer service/communication efforts.

5) On the positive side, I've got an idea for a new map - one where your territories get shuffled every few turns!
Captain Lincecum

Postby ABSOLUTE_MASTER on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:48 pm

"Map Foundry: This is where maps get made. Check out what's in development and give us some feedback."

"Final Forge: Maps that may be nearing the end of production"

I may be wrong, but I believe once a map is quenched and it's available for everyone, updates should be posted in GD.

And you shouldn't guess about me so quickly, I did come to the forum and read the first pages with info about your map before joining the game and while I was playing it... My bad, I should have read all the way to page 24.

You are a great map maker, but maybe, just maybe, it may have been a good idea to put a little note in the first page of this thread indicating that the map was being fixed, I'm not even saying GD, just the first post here.

Now I'll :-# and let you continue your good work.
"You have undertaken to cheat me. I won't sue you, for the law is too slow. I'll ruin you." -- Cornelius Vanderbilt
Lieutenant ABSOLUTE_MASTER

Postby rom_tobins on Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:30 pm

Now i haven't played the game with its updates yet, but i think the point your missing is there not complaining about changes...just errors that are happening sense the changes have been made.
For example this game log below:

t-o-m is starting on SA3 and not a reef,
SA3 is able to directly attack Espanola.
reef 7 can directly attack San Cristobal
cgblack started on IS5
IS5 can directly attack Lugger Tortisa

Also noticed cdblack took 3 territories...and considering lugger has 10 on it....he must have had some nice dice...thought thats not relivent. Anyways that is the very first round and the errors i caught

2008-08-19 19:38:19 - Game has been initialized
2008-08-19 20:16:52 - t-o-m gets bonus of -1 armies added to SA3 <----
2008-08-19 20:16:52 - t-o-m receives 3 armies for 1 territories
2008-08-19 20:17:52 - t-o-m deployed 3 armies on SA3
2008-08-19 20:18:06 - t-o-m attacked Espanola from SA3 and conquered it from neutral player <----
2008-08-20 08:55:39 - DimnjacarStef gets bonus of -1 armies added to Reef 2
2008-08-20 08:55:39 - DimnjacarStef receives 3 armies for 1 territories
2008-08-20 08:56:15 - DimnjacarStef deployed 3 armies on Reef 2
2008-08-20 08:56:19 - DimnjacarStef attacked MA1 from Reef 2 and conquered it from neutral player
2008-08-21 06:52:39 - cena-rules gets bonus of -1 armies added to Reef 7
2008-08-21 06:52:39 - cena-rules receives 3 armies for 1 territories
2008-08-21 06:52:50 - cena-rules deployed 3 armies on Reef 7
2008-08-21 06:52:55 - cena-rules attacked San Cristobal from Reef 7 and conquered it from neutral player <-----
2008-08-21 11:21:15 - japser_be gets bonus of -1 armies added to Reef 3
2008-08-21 11:21:15 - japser_be receives 3 armies for 1 territories
2008-08-21 11:21:19 - japser_be deployed 3 armies on Reef 3
2008-08-21 11:21:25 - japser_be attacked MA3 from Reef 3 and conquered it from neutral player
2008-08-21 16:14:30 - edgarhons gets bonus of -1 armies added to Reef 4
2008-08-21 16:14:30 - edgarhons receives 3 armies for 1 territories
2008-08-21 16:17:19 - edgarhons deployed 3 armies on Reef 4
2008-08-21 16:20:01 - edgarhons attacked FE1 from Reef 4 and conquered it from neutral player
2008-08-21 18:50:20 - cgblack gets bonus of -1 armies added to IS5
2008-08-21 18:50:20 - cgblack receives 3 armies for 1 territories
2008-08-21 18:50:23 - cgblack deployed 3 armies on IS5
2008-08-21 18:51:10 - cgblack attacked Lugger Tortisa from IS5 and conquered it from neutral player
2008-08-21 18:51:19 - cgblack attacked TO2 from Lugger Tortisa and conquered it from neutral player
2008-08-21 18:51:45 - cgblack attacked FL1 from Lugger Tortisa and conquered it from neutral player
2008-08-21 18:51:57 - cgblack fortified TO2 with 1 armies from FL1
Lieutenant rom_tobins

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas