Page 12 of 15

Re: RAIL AUSTRALIA V27(p19) [I,Gp,Gr]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:02 am
by Jumentum
the gradient in the country and the stuff on the outsides doesnt look too good.

but i like the design dote much better.

Re: RAIL AUSTRALIA V27(p19) [I,Gp,Gr] Lge & Sml

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:18 am
by cairnswk
Current Version 27

Image

Click image to enlarge.
image

Re: RAIL AUSTRALIA V27(p19) [I,Gp,Gr]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:48 pm
by AndyDufresne
              Final Forge

---The Rail Australia Map has reached the ‘Final Forge’ Stage. I've revived this thread from the pits of the Foundry Furnace (okay, maybe not) and have examined the contents. Nearly every major concern has been addressed. If there are any other current concerns, please make your voice heard. If after a reasonable amount of time there has not been any objection or protest, the map will be deemed finished with the 'Foundry Brand' of approval and will be submitted for live play. As long as there is still discussion or posts that have yet to be commented on, the map will remain in Final Forge until said discussion has reached the conclusion that the map has reached its final and polished version.

Post questions and concerns if any.

              Image

--Andy

Re: RAIL AUSTRALIA V27(p19) [I,Gp,Gr]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:48 pm
by cairnswk
AndyDufresne wrote:
              Image

--Andy


Thanks Andy,
Howver, I am looking into reducing the number of stations on the map particularly in NSW where it si very cluttered, and i now don't like it.

Re: RAIL AUSTRALIA V27(p19) [I,Gp,Gr]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:48 am
by LLLUUUKKKEEE
First of all, once again, another buet.
you are a true treasure to this site.
cairnswk wrote:Thanks Andy,
Howver, I am looking into reducing the number of stations on the map particularly in NSW where it si very cluttered, and i now don't like it.

I was gunna say the same thing.
And is it possible to make it more brighter and dull down the oceans
And can you make the top left legend more clearer

Apart from that it looks great!

Re: RAIL AUSTRALIA V27(p19) [I,Gp,Gr]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:02 am
by cairnswk
LLLUUUKKKEEE wrote:First of all, once again, another buet.
you are a true treasure to this site.
cairnswk wrote:Thanks Andy,
Howver, I am looking into reducing the number of stations on the map particularly in NSW where it si very cluttered, and i now don't like it.

I was gunna say the same thing.
And is it possible to make it more brighter and dull down the oceans
And can you make the top left legend more clearer

Apart from that it looks great!

LLLUUUKKKEEE, where have you been all my life.
This has been sitting for ages and no-one visited it, and now you want changes. Ha!!! :lol:

Re: RAIL AUSTRALIA V28 [FINAL FORGE]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:03 am
by cairnswk
Version 28

3 stations have been removed from NSWRail to offer less clutter in that state...i think this works better and the bonuses for NSWRail have been changed.

Currently in the process of centering the large map.

Image

Image

Click image to enlarge.
image


Click image to enlarge.
image


http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... a_V28S.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... a_V28L.jpg

http://h1.ripway.com/cairnswk/rail_australia.xml

Re: RAIL AUSTRALIA V28 [FINAL FORGE]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:31 am
by cairnswk

Re: RAIL AUSTRALIA V28(p20) [Final Forge]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:00 am
by yeti_c
Hmmm - I'm not sure I like the new legend in the top left...

Why? - I'm not sure - but it all seems a little - er - busy? or contrived? I'm not sure - but basically - something seems a bit off!!

C.

Re: RAIL AUSTRALIA V27(p19) [I,Gp,Gr] Altered Title

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:47 am
by cairnswk
Postby yeti_c on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:43 pm
yeti_c wrote:Great work Cairns.
FF here we come for yet another Cairns map... closing in on the 20 at full speed!!
C.


yeti_c wrote:Hmmm - I'm not sure I like the new legend in the top left...
Why? - I'm not sure - but it all seems a little - er - busy? or contrived? I'm not sure - but basically - something seems a bit off!!
C.


Changed your mind then, have you? The first comment was posted just after the signals appeared in V25 "on Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:30 pm "

Re: RAIL AUSTRALIA V28(p20) [Final Forge]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:44 pm
by Night Strike
Hmm.....I kind of agree with yeti when I think about it. Perhaps get rid of that wood/medal "P" shaped thing. If you don't want to get rid of it, try pushing it towards the background/blended in more and make the signal boxes around the text "pop" a bit more.

Re: RAIL AUSTRALIA V28(p20) [Final Forge]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:54 pm
by cairnswk
Night Strike wrote:Hmm.....I kind of agree with yeti when I think about it. Perhaps get rid of that wood/medal "P" shaped thing. If you don't want to get rid of it, try pushing it towards the background/blended in more and make the signal boxes around the text "pop" a bit more.

i reduced the opacity of the gantry in both versions, and increased the opacity of the signals a little.

Please refresh your browser to C changes.

Image

Click image to enlarge.
image


http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... a_V28S.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... a_V28L.jpg

http://h1.ripway.com/cairnswk/rail_australia.xml

Re: RAIL AUSTRALIA V28(p20) [Final Forge]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:11 pm
by AndyDufresne
Image

Thanks Forza!


--Andy

Re: RAIL AUSTRALIA V28(p20) [Final Forge]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:30 pm
by cairnswk
AndyDufresne wrote:Image
Thanks Forza!
--Andy

Thanks Andy.

Re: RAIL AUSTRALIA V28(p20) [Final Forge]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:08 am
by cairnswk
"i've been sitting here for nearly two whole weeks now, and nobody wants to know me" :(

Re: RAIL AUSTRALIA V28(p20) [Final Forge]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:16 am
by oaktown
Unless you've changed the coordinates since the posts above, some on the small map look a bit higher than others... all of the numbers have a pixel between them and the top line except ORG, CBA, NWC, and SYD... and maybe WRK? The funny thing is that they don't look high off the bottom, so maybe those boxes are somehow smaller?

The large map is more forgiving, but NWC looks off.

Re: RAIL AUSTRALIA V28 [FINAL FORGE]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:50 am
by cairnswk
oaktown wrote:Unless you've changed the coordinates since the posts above, some on the small map look a bit higher than others... all of the numbers have a pixel between them and the top line except ORG, CBA, NWC, and SYD... and maybe WRK? The funny thing is that they don't look high off the bottom, so maybe those boxes are somehow smaller?

The large map is more forgiving, but NWC looks off.

Please refesh your browser, those changes have been made.

Version 28
3 stations have been removed from NSWRail to offer less clutter in that state...i think this works better and the bonuses for NSWRail have been changed.

Currently in the process of centering the large map.

Image

Image

Click image to enlarge.
image


Click image to enlarge.
image


http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... a_V28S.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... a_V28L.jpg

http://h1.ripway.com/cairnswk/rail_australia.xml

Re: RAIL AUSTRALIA V28(p20) [Final Forge]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:57 am
by oaktown
right - small map good.

It's late and my eyes are going in circles, but the only thing I see on the large map is KGA... low?

Re: RAIL AUSTRALIA V28(p20) [Final Forge]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:01 am
by cairnswk
oaktown wrote:right - small map good.

It's late and my eyes are going in circles, but the only thing I see on the large map is KGA... low?


if that's the only thing you see on the large map...then get off the computer and rest your eyz.
I think it is OK.

Re: RAIL AUSTRALIA V28(p20) [Final Forge]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:06 pm
by iancanton
cairns

though it's very late in the day, would u consider starting hobart with 2 neutrals to avoid player 1 starting with the tasrail bonus and, with reference to my previous comment about the long-distance bonuses being too low to affect play, doubling the countrylink, ghan and indian pacific bonuses to +4, +6 and +8 respectively?

ian. :)

Re: RAIL AUSTRALIA V28(p20) [Final Forge]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:14 pm
by cairnswk
iancanton wrote:cairns

though it's very late in the day, would u consider starting hobart with 2 neutrals to avoid player 1 starting with the tasrail bonus and, with reference to my previous comment about the long-distance bonuses being too low to affect play, doubling the countrylink, ghan and indian pacific bonuses to +4, +6 and +8 respectively?

ian. :)


i have no objection to doubling the bonuses for the long distance trains if needed, but have you read through the thread to see why they are at that level? I think this was determined at some length throughout the process.
Don't know about the Tasrail bonus, even though i understand why it could change. I'd prefer to let this one go through and see if there are any consequences.

Re: RAIL AUSTRALIA V28(p20) [Final Forge]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:10 pm
by iancanton
although i don't actually recall much discussion on the matter, i understand the reasoning behind why the sundowner bonus and, to some extent, the ghan bonus, are small. however, countrylink has stations in three states for +3 and indian pacific looks virtually impossible to hold (and therefore likely to be ignored) for a niggardly +4.

as for tasrail, the map has 61 starting territories, so there will always be at least 1 starting neutral. why not put that neutral in a place where it'll actually be doing some good, in other words hobart?

where a route links two states, have u experimented with having half of it in one colour and half in the other (with maybe some sort of transition colouring in the middle), to avoid giving the impression that a station (for example brisbane, which is connected to newcastle by nsw-coloured dots) is part of both state systems?

ian. :)

Re: RAIL AUSTRALIA V28(p20) [Final Forge]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:19 pm
by oaktown
iancanton wrote:although i don't actually recall much discussion on the matter, i understand the reasoning behind why the sundowner bonus and, to some extent, the ghan bonus, are small. however, countrylink has stations in three states for +3 and indian pacific looks virtually impossible to hold (and therefore likely to be ignored) for a niggardly +4.

Personally I'm alright with the low bonuses for the longer routes. If this were a purely classic style map, of course I would push to make a 12 territory bonus more generous than +4, but nobody is going to be starting the game and going after those long routes as their initial foray into picking up extra armies. More likely, the long routes are going to be gravy bonuses for somebody who already has some meat and potatoes bonuses. For example, once a player has wrapped up Ausrail for +4, they only need to grab an additional, and very linear, four additional territories to hook up another +3. Seems too generous to give the Ausrail player another +6 for getting four more territories.

iancanton wrote:as for tasrail, the map has 61 starting territories, so there will always be at least 1 starting neutral. why not put that neutral in a place where it'll actually be doing some good, in other words hobart?

I always go back and forth with making half of a two territory region a bonus, because while on the one hand it keeps somebody from getting it on the drop, but in this case it means only one player really has a chance of going after the region because nobody else can attack HBA other than the LNC player. Ian's point about the map having 61 territories may push me into the camp of starting HBA neutral.

Re: RAIL AUSTRALIA V28(p20) [Final Forge]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:33 pm
by cairnswk
iancanton wrote:although i don't actually recall much discussion on the matter, i understand the reasoning behind why the sundowner bonus and, to some extent, the ghan bonus, are small. however, countrylink has stations in three states for +3 and indian pacific looks virtually impossible to hold (and therefore likely to be ignored) for a niggardly +4.

as for tasrail, the map has 61 starting territories, so there will always be at least 1 starting neutral. why not put that neutral in a place where it'll actually be doing some good, in other words hobart?

where a route links two states, have u experimented with having half of it in one colour and half in the other (with maybe some sort of transition colouring in the middle), to avoid giving the impression that a station (for example brisbane, which is connected to newcastle by nsw-coloured dots) is part of both state systems?

ian. :)


Thanks for input oaktown, but i think the below answers your comments.

Ian...Bonuses
1. Hobart - > now starts neutral
2. Sunlander (not Sundowner) i think is best remaining at +2 since it is contained whole within in qld and would raise that state bonus to +11 - 5 sstations
3. XPT has been raised to +3 cross states - 6 stations
4. The Ghan is now at +4 - 9 stsations
5. Indian-Pacific has been raised to +5 - 13 stations

As to the colours, no i hadn't thought of transitioning them, and would prefer they remain as is.
graphically i don't there is anything to be gained here, and more represents the different guages in each state.

Please refresh to see the changes.

Image

Click image to enlarge.
image


http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... a_V28S.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... a_V28L.jpg

http://h1.ripway.com/cairnswk/rail_australia.xml

Re: RAIL AUSTRALIA V28(p21) [Final Forge]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:57 pm
by oaktown
works for me... if there are any further concerns you all should speak now, or I'm going to send this one upstairs for some quenchin'.