Conquer Club

Age of Realms: Mayhem [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:45 pm

I think the blood water should kinda fade into the regular water. It looks like it just ends....

I really dislike the Rock Golem texture/color. Its too strong and distracting.

I also dislike the dwarf one, it just looks weird.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Shanba on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:56 pm

Ok, well that's a really nice update. Kudos. The Elves and the golems look much nicer now. There are bits round the outside border of the golems' territory which look slightly messy, for example round the bottom of Qasr and near Golem Rune 2. Overall, though, the colour scheme is much easier on the eyes, and the golems' borders are really nice, as do the golem/elf territory names.

I'm not as convinced by the sanctuary, though. The bold, simplistic tentacles look odd next to the dark, highly textured provinces. They also don't seem to be coming from anywhere: maybe if you made a new image for the sanctuary/castle itself they could be coming from? I dunno. The big problem is the contrast between the tentacles and the insides of the provinces, anyway.

As for the Dwarves -> Pit fiends thing. I'm not really sure, tbh. Pit fiends have 'pit', bringing images of dark and gloomy, and 'fiends' giving rise to images of evil demons, so dark reds and yellows. I'm still not sold on the floaty orange and green bits, but that could just be me.

Actually, all the borders are a bit messy. Just above Iburi in the fiends' lands it extends into the sea, the border next to Qasr doesn't quite reach the sea, the internal border between Qasr and Wun doesn't quite meet, the border at the north of Yta extends into the river a small way, the Duisch-Aosa border goes over the ice cliff thing kinda messily.

Overall the map is very definitely improved and awesomer. That's not even a word, but hey.
Private Shanba

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:59 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:I think the blood water should kinda fade into the regular water. It looks like it just ends....

I really dislike the Rock Golem texture/color. Its too strong and distracting.

I also dislike the dwarf one, it just looks weird.

fading of blood water. will do.

textures are supposed to be strong. the hyperbole and emphasis and all that bla bla.

and btw those aren't dwarfs they're pit fiends. the texture suits pit fiends much better.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:06 pm

Shanba wrote:Ok, well that's a really nice update. Kudos. The Elves and the golems look much nicer now. There are bits round the outside border of the golems' territory which look slightly messy, for example round the bottom of Qasr and near Golem Rune 2. Overall, though, the colour scheme is much easier on the eyes, and the golems' borders are really nice, as do the golem/elf territory names.

I'm not as convinced by the sanctuary, though. The bold, simplistic tentacles look odd next to the dark, highly textured provinces. They also don't seem to be coming from anywhere: maybe if you made a new image for the sanctuary/castle itself they could be coming from? I dunno. The big problem is the contrast between the tentacles and the insides of the provinces, anyway.

As for the Dwarves -> Pit fiends thing. I'm not really sure, tbh. Pit fiends have 'pit', bringing images of dark and gloomy, and 'fiends' giving rise to images of evil demons, so dark reds and yellows. I'm still not sold on the floaty orange and green bits, but that could just be me.

Actually, all the borders are a bit messy. Just above Iburi in the fiends' lands it extends into the sea, the border next to Qasr doesn't quite reach the sea, the internal border between Qasr and Wun doesn't quite meet, the border at the north of Yta extends into the river a small way, the Duisch-Aosa border goes over the ice cliff thing kinda messily.

Overall the map is very definitely improved and awesomer. That's not even a word, but hey.

will solve the borders that don't meet fine as well as those that are too long. thanks for pointing it out.

the tentacles aren't simplistic, i added small thingies on them. and they're actually coming from the island. i can't make them come from the sanctuary as they won't be borders anymore. i need to keep the idea of borders.

when i think of pit fiends i think of fire and molten things and evil and stuff. did i mention i think orange is the most evil colour of all? followed closely by pink. so the texture has molten rivers of something and
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby unriggable on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:14 pm

I don't like this, man. The other ones were sane, this is just crazy. There are too many races, colors are batshit out of control, and the rules are way too complicated.
Cook unriggable

Postby Shanba on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:15 pm

DiM wrote:will solve the borders that don't meet fine as well as those that are too long. thanks for pointing it out.

the tentacles aren't simplistic, i added small thingies on them. and they're actually coming from the island. i can't make them come from the sanctuary as they won't be borders anymore. i need to keep the idea of borders.

When I said simplistic, I meant the colours and the textures, not the design itself, which as you say has fiddly branchy bits. They're one shade of pink next to the greys and black of the sanctuary.

I see what you mean about the borders, though.
when i think of pit fiends i think of fire and molten things and evil and stuff. did i mention i think orange is the most evil colour of all? followed closely by pink. so the texture has molten rivers of something and

*lightbulb*

Aha, that makes more sense.

In that case, why not make the orange more concentrated, more riverlike? Maybe pools of lava surrounded by dark, craggy stone? The problem is that the green detracts from the hellish feel - maybe add some scars to the land, some dark, scoured bits, free of vegetation? I dunno...
Private Shanba

Postby wcaclimbing on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:21 pm

ignore this post....
its broken...
Last edited by wcaclimbing on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby wcaclimbing on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:21 pm

Ah....
thats a bit better.

The color change for the text helped a lot, along with the border changes.

My new suggestions:
-Make the font for the Ice a less saturated blue, so it matches the ice a bit more.
-Still not happy with the texture for pit fiends and rock golems. The yellow is too harsh in pit fiends and rock golems is too much black-white contrast and it makes it hard to read some of the text.
-the very thick borders on rock golems could be fixed by changing the texture behind it to something a bit smoother.
-that 10 army decay on sanctuary.... How would anyone ever survive on there, if their armies decayed every turn down to nothing?

theres probably more, but thats it for now.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby a-person1192 on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:23 pm

still think the ice runes need to be seperated.
If I was lying wouldn't my pants be on fire?
Cook a-person1192

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:24 pm

unriggable wrote:I don't like this, man. The other ones were sane, this is just crazy. There are too many races, colors are batshit out of control, and the rules are way too complicated.

there are no races there are 7 players. we pretend they are races just for the sake of the story and for fun.

rules aren't complicated. in fact there are just a few additions to the gameplay. the basic idea is the same.

as for the colours, no comment.
Major DiM

Postby fireedud on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:26 pm

When I first saw this map, I started laughing hystercially, even though I was prepared for the craziness, but I love it.

One thing though, the port on U'rl should be bigger, before I actually took an extremely creful look at it, I thought the Santuary was unscapeable.
me have no sig
Cook fireedud

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:28 pm

Shanba wrote:
DiM wrote:will solve the borders that don't meet fine as well as those that are too long. thanks for pointing it out.

When I said simplistic, I meant the colours and the textures, not the design itself, which as you say has fiddly branchy bits. They're one shade of pink next to the greys and black of the sanctuary.

I see what you mean about the borders, though.

if i make the borders textured there the problem that they might blend too much and people won't know they're borders.

Shanba wrote:

*lightbulb*

Aha, that makes more sense.

In that case, why not make the orange more concentrated, more riverlike? Maybe pools of lava surrounded by dark, craggy stone? The problem is that the green detracts from the hellish feel - maybe add some scars to the land, some dark, scoured bits, free of vegetation? I dunno...

this is good. i can do that. rivers pits etc. will do in the next update.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:33 pm

fireedud wrote:When I first saw this map, I started laughing hystercially, even though I was prepared for the craziness, but I love it.

One thing though, the port on U'rl should be bigger, before I actually took an extremely creful look at it, I thought the Santuary was unscapeable.

will make the dock more visible.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:35 pm

a-person1192 wrote:still think the ice runes need to be seperated.

why? those resources have been like that in both previous chapters and there was no problem with them because the neutral values ensure balance is kept.
Major DiM

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:40 pm

I really dont like the Rock Golem.

Maybe somehting like:

Troglodytes

Troglodytes are humanoid reptilian creatures they have basic intelligence. They stand about 5ft in height, have a basic humanoid shape, they have three fingers and a thumb. The skin is tough leathery and they have lizard like tail and taloned feet. Their skin pigment tones have the ability to change colour to match their surroundings much like that of a chameleon.

Troglodytes are a feudal race having waring tribes. They have very basic technology; they construct crude weapons such as flint axes and javelins. They are ferocious creatures that hunt down other creatures for meat. They were said to raid human settlements to capture the young for food.

----------------------------
or
Zombie

Zombies are corpses brought back to unlife by various ways depending on the text. Zombies fall under two groups those caused by a virus or bacteria that causes the infected person to die then come back as an animated person with a craving for flesh. These type of Zombies are seen in computer games like Resident Evil, and in most zombie films. The other type of Zombies are those that are raised by evil magic. This usually involves a necromancer or some other spell caster. Voodoo magic is also associated with Zombies. There have been reported cases of Zombies wandering around on the streets due to Voodoo magic

but call them Undead, and give them a graveyard or something.

or
Maybe that part of the world is underwater.

Merfolk

Merfolk are a mythical race which have grown from sailors tales, told across the world. Merfolk are basically human but have a fish's tail, they are able to breath underwater. Merfolk are said to be beautiful and that many Mermaids (female Merfolk) have fallen in love with sailors that they have rescued. Merfolk tend to carry Tridents (three headed spears) as weapons. They are said to be able command creatures in the sea, and ride upon seahorses.

or

those tree guys from LOTR
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:41 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:My new suggestions:
-Make the font for the Ice a less saturated blue, so it matches the ice a bit more.
-Still not happy with the texture for pit fiends and rock golems. The yellow is too harsh in pit fiends and rock golems is too much black-white contrast and it makes it hard to read some of the text.
-the very thick borders on rock golems could be fixed by changing the texture behind it to something a bit smoother.
-that 10 army decay on sanctuary.... How would anyone ever survive on there, if their armies decayed every turn down to nothing?

theres probably more, but thats it for now.

1. can be done.
2. pit fiends will be redone to make more flowy molten rivers
3. will see what i can do
4. oops forgot to reword the legend. only the blood waters will have decay.
the idea is that they will be very easy to take but hard to hold. but at the same time they'll provide a sturdy defence. imagine a guy attacking a blood water during a fog game. it's a 1 way attack from his dock to the water so he can't go back. but he discovers a huge army on the land. he basically falls into a trap.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:44 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:I really dont like the Rock Golem.

Maybe somehting like:

Troglodytes

Troglodytes are humanoid reptilian creatures they have basic intelligence. They stand about 5ft in height, have a basic humanoid shape, they have three fingers and a thumb. The skin is tough leathery and they have lizard like tail and taloned feet. Their skin pigment tones have the ability to change colour to match their surroundings much like that of a chameleon.

Troglodytes are a feudal race having waring tribes. They have very basic technology; they construct crude weapons such as flint axes and javelins. They are ferocious creatures that hunt down other creatures for meat. They were said to raid human settlements to capture the young for food.

or
Zombie

Zombies are corpses brought back to unlife by various ways depending on the text. Zombies fall under two groups those caused by a virus or bacteria that causes the infected person to die then come back as an animated person with a craving for flesh. These type of Zombies are seen in computer games like Resident Evil, and in most zombie films. The other type of Zombies are those that are raised by evil magic. This usually involves a necromancer or some other spell caster. Voodoo magic is also associated with Zombies. There have been reported cases of Zombies wandering around on the streets due to Voodoo magic

but call them Undead, and give them a graveyard or something.

or
Maybe that part of the world is underwater.

Merfolk

Merfolk are a mythical race which have grown from sailors tales, told across the world. Merfolk are basically human but have a fish's tail, they are able to breath underwater. Merfolk are said to be beautiful and that many Mermaids (female Merfolk) have fallen in love with sailors that they have rescued. Merfolk tend to carry Tridents (three headed spears) as weapons. They are said to be able command creatures in the sea, and ride upon seahorses.

or

those tree guys from LOTR

troglodytes sound interesting. i like them.
Major DiM

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:48 pm

list of things to do:
1. fix short/long screwy borders
2. make u'rl dock more visible
3. replace rock golems with troglodytes
4. replace power rune for pit fiends
5. add flowy molten rivers, barren land and stuff for the pit fiends
6. make rock golems/troglodytes land texture smoother so that text is easier to read.
7. fading blood water.
8. reword the lyches decay text in the legend
9. add icons for easy recognition in the legend

i hope i didn't forget anything. i have to sleep now. it's 3.50am
Major DiM

Postby fireedud on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:49 pm

good night.
me have no sig
Cook fireedud

Postby cena-rules on Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:41 am

I like the map on a whole.

Big post coming later with ideas etc
19:41:22 ‹jakewilliams› I was a pedo
Lieutenant cena-rules

Postby DiM on Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:08 am

cena-rules wrote:I like the map on a whole.

Big post coming later with ideas etc

glad you like it. i just woke up and i have to leave for a few hours and i'll post an update when i return
Major DiM

Postby bryguy on Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:31 am

whoah this is awesome!!!
Corporal bryguy

Postby DiM on Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:36 am

bryguy wrote:whoah this is awesome!!!

glad you like it.

i'll be back in a few hours hopefully with an update to solve this list:

1. fix short/long screwy borders
2. make u'rl dock more visible
3. replace rock golems with troglodytes
4. replace power rune for pit fiends
5. add flowy molten rivers, barren land and stuff for the pit fiends
6. make rock golems/troglodytes land texture smoother so that text is easier to read.
7. fading blood water.
8. reword the lyches decay text in the legend
9. add icons for easy recognition in the legend
Major DiM

Postby Sven Hassel on Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:33 am

damn 1 day it was posted and 7 pages long :lol: :lol: :lol:

your maps are very popular mate :wink:

i have to say i love it, gl whit it, i hope it will be at least as popular as your other maps

PS bv frate! :wink:
"Bullets kill, grenades kill, bayonets kill, the cold kills. Death has a thousand faces. The worst of them all: the Court Martial."
Lieutenant Sven Hassel

Postby gimil on Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:01 am

Sven Hassel wrote:damn 1 day it was posted and 7 pages long :lol: :lol: :lol:

your maps are very popular mate :wink:

i have to say i love it, gl whit it, i hope it will be at least as popular as your other maps

PS bv frate! :wink:

Its actually been jsut over 12 hours :p
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas