Conquer Club

Oasis [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Oasis [Quenched]

Postby yeti_c on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:52 pm

You've got to use a proper uploading site that allows correct linking...

For instance - www.ripway.com or www.fileden.com

Sendspace is crap - as you can't directly link to the file.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby wcaclimbing on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:07 pm

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/11/14/2186765/OasisXMLA3.xml

Perfect. everything works now.
Thanks for the help yeti!

Should I PM this to lack? or what?
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby White Moose on Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:14 pm

I have to congratulate you wcambling.

Oasis is a great map, at least for speed freestyle. Havent tried it on other than that, but it works fantastic on FS speed.

Great job wcambling!
Highest Score: 3374
Major White Moose

Postby Environmentalist on Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:59 pm

BUGGED. VERY BADLY BUGGED. See game 3661522. read chat for starters. we figured it out eventually. pretty sure you're not supposed to be able to attack 65 from oasis of prosperity.
Major Environmentalist

Postby yeti_c on Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:58 am

wcaclimbing wrote:Should I PM this to lack? or what?

Yes...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby DarthBlood on Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:31 pm

bug, probably same as environmentalist. i attacked 66 from 74, but instead, i conquered 56. and from 56, i somehow managed to attack oasis of power. im thinking that desert 56 was messed up with 66...

check Game 3649847's game log for round 3, gray's turn (that's me).

edit: another one. i attacked 59 from liberty, but instead, 60 lost the units...
Brigadier DarthBlood

Postby InkL0sed on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:04 pm

It's all the same bug. Don't use the large map on Oasis.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby NightWolf on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:39 pm

I believe I attacked territory 65 from 72 and conquered territory 66. I am sure of this and it looks like a bug. 65 was a neutral and I conquered from green. Odd.
Sergeant 1st Class NightWolf

Postby wcaclimbing on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:43 pm

I am PMing this to anyone that has problems on Oasis:
wcaclimbing wrote:I am sorry you had problems with Oasis.
The issue was that the coordinates for the Large version of the map were wrong. So the game thought that some of the Deserts belonged in different places.
I have corrected the XML and sent it to Lack, we are just waiting for him to upload the corrections.

Until the XML is changed, I suggest that you stick to using the Small version of the map for the next few days. Everything on the small map works perfectly.

Again, I am sorry for the problems you guys encountered. If you hear of anyone else having the same problems, could you please tell them to use the Small map? That's the easiest solution right now. We're just waiting for Lack to fix things with the site.

Postby Environmentalist on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:52 pm

could it be made so that the number of neutrals in the desert areas change from game to game? maybe set a maximum for each territory, but otherwise randomize the deployment of neutrals. i'd like to see that on other maps, too. it would create more variations in gameplay from game to game. a good map, nevertheless.
Major Environmentalist

Postby InkL0sed on Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:06 pm

Environmentalist wrote:could it be made so that the number of neutrals in the desert areas change from game to game? maybe set a maximum for each territory, but otherwise randomize the deployment of neutrals. i'd like to see that on other maps, too. it would create more variations in gameplay from game to game. a good map, nevertheless.

That isn't currently possible.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby MrBenn on Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:51 pm

The updated XML has been sent to lackattack, so is in the lap of the turtle himself ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby The Neon Peon on Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:56 pm

MrBenn wrote:The updated XML has been sent to lackattack, so is in the lap of the turtle himself ;-)

NO! It is wonderful with fog when the other person does not know what they are doing. You can teleport ot the other side of the map, then back again, and you can take several Oasis without taking a single neutral that is visibly near them.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby hulmey on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:22 am

just played a game on it and its a great map. Its quite pointless getting a -1 army for the desert becuase nobody is going to leave troops there.

I suggest getting a -1 for every single terrority you own in the desert and then this is deducted from your TOTAL bonus. This would allow more strategy to be involved in this map.
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby Ditocoaf on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:37 am

hulmey wrote:just played a game on it and its a great map. Its quite pointless getting a -1 army for the desert becuase nobody is going to leave troops there.

I suggest getting a -1 for every single terrority you own in the desert and then this is deducted from your TOTAL bonus. This would allow more strategy to be involved in this map.

Well, I think people would leave armies in the desert more often if it weren't for the bonus. Plus, if the desert caused a -1 bonus, then you'd have to up the bonuses on the oases (since there are at least two desert territories between most of them)... and there'd be the issue of negative bonuses adding up to not getting any bonus at all. This would discourage people from entering the center of the map at all, and instead simply attacking their enemies around the edges to build up the "1 for every 3" bonus, and only venturing into the center at the very end to pick out anybody hiding there (and the people hiding there aren't winning, because they're getting very few armies).

>----------āœŖ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! āœŖ----------<

Note to self: THINK LESS LIVE MORE
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Postby White Moose on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:51 am

hulmey wrote:just played a game on it and its a great map. Its quite pointless getting a -1 army for the desert becuase nobody is going to leave troops there.

If you want to destroy the map.. then sure. Go ahead.
Highest Score: 3374
Major White Moose

Postby BENJIKAT IS DEAD on Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:28 pm

no no no no no no no no no no no no no.....

This map is so wonderful - especially in the fog.
Colonel BENJIKAT IS DEAD

Postby zimmah on Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:39 am

dont know if you already have a working version, but here is one with both small and large image working, i have found the problem and solved it.

here's a link http://www.freewebs.com/zimri1987/oasis ... 112008.xml
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby yeti_c on Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:41 am

zimmah wrote:dont know if you already have a working version, but here is one with both small and large image working, i have found the problem and solved it.

Zimmah - How did you change it?

Did you

a) Copy and Paste the co-ordinates into the correct places but left the borders and titles correct?
b) rewrite the relevant sections?

If you did A - then it should be OK...

b) might be dangerous - although I am assuming that the XML is/was in number order for the deserts!

ALSO - WCA wanted 0's on the front of the single digit deserts - so they order correctly in the drop downs - did you do that?

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby zimmah on Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:47 am

yeti_c wrote:
zimmah wrote:dont know if you already have a working version, but here is one with both small and large image working, i have found the problem and solved it.

Zimmah - How did you change it?

Did you

a) Copy and Paste the co-ordinates into the correct places but left the borders and titles correct?
b) rewrite the relevant sections?

If you did A - then it should be OK...

b) might be dangerous - although I am assuming that the XML is/was in number order for the deserts!

ALSO - WCA wanted 0's on the front of the single digit deserts - so they order correctly in the drop downs - did you do that?

C.

this is how i did it exactly:

first: i noticed there were some errors while i was playing some games (the errors were only on small maps)

second: i opened the xml in the xml-checker and checked which territories exactly had any problems

thirth: i wrote down the numbers of the territories like this: if for example i mouse over Desert 56 and it shows Desert 57 on my screen, i know the coordinates of Desert 57, are in fact the correct coordinates for Desert 56, so i moved them from 57 to 56 (copy/paste, yes) and i kept doing this untill all territories were fixed.

(NOTE: off course i ONLY moved the LARGE coordinates, because the small ones were fine)

fourth: i uploaded the XML file

fifth: i checked if everything was right

sixth: i posted this message :D

as for the 0's, i will do that, its just a small update // Done
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby yeti_c on Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:57 am

Good stuff - your fixes should be good - I think WCA has already done it too - but we've not heard back yet.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby wcaclimbing on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:06 pm

yeti_c wrote:Good stuff - your fixes should be good - I think WCA has already done it too - but we've not heard back yet.

C.

Lack has PMd me saying my new XML has been submitted.
And I have confirmed that all the borders are correct in the new XML CC has.
All done now.

Thanks for all the help, yeti.

Postby zimmah on Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:13 pm

it seems not all the neutrals on the desert are correct. some have 1 too many and some need 1 more.

like Desert 60 has 3 on it, but should have 4 on it, Desert 61 has 2 on it, should have 3 on it, Desert 57 should have 3 on it but it has 4 on it.

maybe a few more.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby wcaclimbing on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:15 pm

zimmah wrote:it seems not all the neutrals on the desert are correct. some have 1 too many and some need 1 more.

like Desert 60 has 3 on it, but should have 4 on it, Desert 61 has 2 on it, should have 3 on it, Desert 57 should have 3 on it but it has 4 on it.

maybe a few more.

I think I fixed all of those.
Have you checked a newer game on Oasis to see if that is still true?
Because games started before the change would have the wrong number of neutrals.
but games after the change should all be correct.

Postby Xanthir on Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:07 pm

I'm playing the map right now, and we're enjoying it. However, the fact that deserts lose 1 troop per turn doesn't seem like it *does* anything, because it won't return to neutral if you leave it with a single troop. We can still strike out across the desert all we want, and maintain easy fortify chains across the area.

I suggest that if you have 1 troop on a desert when your turn comes around, it is destroyed and reverts to 1 neutral. If you want to be *truly* evil, have it revert to its original neutral army.

Same with grand oasis, obviously. If you have 3 troops or less in one of the squares, it returns to neutral. Even if you let deserts stay at 1 when they reset, grand oasis definitely should reset to 6 if it kills you.
Corporal 1st Class Xanthir

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas