Conquer Club

Egypt: Lower [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: LOWER EGYPT V9 (p5) [I] - Comments??

Postby cairnswk on Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:09 am

Version 10

Changes made:
1. Because of the comments from snufkin about there begin greek influence which isn't out of place, i have renamed the territory of Buto to Xios because it is more accurate.
2. Also changed is the continent of Babastis to Heliopolis - Heliopolis is more central to overall area.
3. A bevel has been applied to all the territories to provide an impression of raised land around the river.
4. Differentiation of the river to the sea is applied via colour, and the black border around the river edges removed.

* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Re: LOWER EGYPT V10 (p6) [I] - Colour/tert Changes

Postby greenoaks on Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:45 am

i like the bevelling, great addition.

will you be working on the mini-map on the weekend ? i get the impression from it that Am-Khent is a part of Sile. because of that i also find myself leaning towards the screen to tell the colours of Sile and Heliopolis apart. would it stand out more if you switched the colour of Heliopolis with that of Memphis ?
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby cairnswk on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:12 am

greenoaks wrote:i like the bevelling, great addition.

will you be working on the mini-map on the weekend ? i get the impression from it that Am-Khent is a part of Sile. because of that i also find myself leaning towards the screen to tell the colours of Sile and Heliopolis apart. would it stand out more if you switched the colour of Heliopolis with that of Memphis ?

greenoaks....fab suggestions like this will send you straight to the top of the class....i'll attend to that now and post a revised version 10. Please refresh your screen shortly.
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:20 am

Im not to hot on the texture youve used being used all over the map, I like it on the land but would you consider using something different for the sea and legends?
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Qwert on Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:17 am

If you need all relevant information abouth Ancient Egypt,you can find mine Ancient Egypt map.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby mibi on Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:49 am

gimil wrote:Im not to hot on the texture youve used being used all over the map, I like it on the land but would you consider using something different for the sea and legends?

agreed, its all a bit stuffy.
Captain mibi

Postby cairnswk on Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:21 am

gimil wrote:Im not to hot on the texture youve used being used all over the map, I like it on the land but would you consider using something different for the sea and legends?

mibi wrote:

agreed, its all a bit stuffy.

i was going for the all-over-the-wall plastered effect like in a mural. i think it works well. :)

qwert wrote:If you need all relevant information abouth Ancient Egypt,you can find mine Ancient Egypt map.

Thanks qwert. Is the map still in the foundry somewhere?
Private cairnswk

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:39 am

Im not sure if its the bevel, but the lakes look like they are popping out, rather than being lower than the land

The text is kind of hard to read, especially in the places with three dashes (like Tjeb-nut-jek). I dont know if there is any way to fix this, but if you could that would be great.

Some of the continents dont look like they do on the mini map. Alexandria looks green on the map, but purple on the mini map. Tanis looks much darker on the real map. There are some other examples too, but there arent too bad.

I cant read whay it says about the boats over the mini map

Looks good, cant wait to play it!! :P
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby mibi on Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:49 pm

i was going for the all-over-the-wall plastered effect like in a mural. i think it works well.

oh, well there is no negative space for the eye to breath, which is why its stuff. any significance to the plaster mural idea?
Captain mibi

Postby cairnswk on Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:00 pm

mibi wrote:
i was going for the all-over-the-wall plastered effect like in a mural. i think it works well.

oh, well there is no negative space for the eye to breath, which is why its stuff. any significance to the plaster mural idea?

Yes...you know like wall of toomb murals.....but i see what you're saying about negative space....so i'll have a dabble with some other textures in other areas apart from the land.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:04 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:Im not sure if its the bevel, but the lakes look like they are popping out, rather than being lower than the land

i attend to that kap...

The text is kind of hard to read, especially in the places with three dashes (like Tjeb-nut-jek). I dont know if there is any way to fix this, but if you could that would be great.
i've already had a look at the text.....some of the tert names are meant to be hyphenated, but i've split levelled them so they fit inside the terts because the terts are not so wide.

Some of the continents dont look like they do on the mini map. Alexandria looks green on the map, but purple on the mini map. Tanis looks much darker on the real map. There are some other examples too, but there arent too bad.

I cant read whay it says about the boats over the mini map

ok i'll look at improving these things.
Thanks Kaplowitz.

Looks good, cant wait to play it!! :P
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:04 pm

Version 11.

Changes:
1. upper bevel removed from lakes/oasis
2. font colour
3. sea texture
4. building texture
5. continent colours on min-map
6. army colours added for show n tell.
7. nile crossing legend text.

Private cairnswk

Re: LOWER EGYPT V11 (p6) [I] - Colour/tert Changes

Postby mibi on Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:32 pm

I think it looks much better.
Captain mibi

Postby cairnswk on Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:36 pm

mibi wrote:I think it looks much better.

Kewl...thanks mibi :)
Private cairnswk

Postby wcaclimbing on Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:37 pm

All of your lakes/rivers have shadows and hilights on the banks of the water, but your lake in Hu does not. It looks like the water was added, but nothing done to the surrounding land (its on top of the land, not in a hole).
EDIT: that comment was directed at the image on your first post (which is different from the one at the top of this page).
Never mind...
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby cairnswk on Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:58 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:All of your lakes/rivers have shadows and hilights on the banks of the water, but your lake in Hu does not. It looks like the water was added, but nothing done to the surrounding land (its on top of the land, not in a hole).
EDIT: that comment was directed at the image on your first post (which is different from the one at the top of this page).
Never mind...

Thanks waclimbing :)
Fixed that in the Version 11 above....please refresh your browser.
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:03 pm

I like the new textures :)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cairnswk on Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:36 pm

gimil wrote:I like the new textures :)

For you too a smilie :)
Private cairnswk

Postby TaCktiX on Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:47 am

The map is very readable and the textures now look fantastic. Good job on the work so far Cairns.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby oaktown on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:36 pm

wow, it looks so straightforward I fear I must be missing something, cairnswk! ;)

Overall, I like. Text on the legend could be a bit easier to read - the "Dows" line is kind of heavy on the effects. And there's something funny about the Sphinx, but I haven't put my finger on exactly why it bothers me.

What is the image size going to be?
Captain oaktown

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:54 pm

I'm superbly satisfied by the visuals of this map...I think you've captured the area wonderfully. The water though seems like it could be a touch lighter to perhaps to more resemble the actual color, but that's only a minor point.

I think this was commented on a few pages ago...someone mentioned the Sphinx looking a little like too much of the game board, and not enough like added scenery. Perhaps consider altering the texture, but again this is only a minor thing.

Definitely one of my favorite looking maps, and I think the gameplay looks like it could be fun too!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby cairnswk on Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:34 am

oaktown wrote:wow, it looks so straightforward I fear I must be missing something, cairnswk! ;)

Overall, I like. Text on the legend could be a bit easier to read - the "Dows" line is kind of heavy on the effects. And there's something funny about the Sphinx, but I haven't put my finger on exactly why it bothers me.

What is the image size going to be?

Thanks Oaktown...i've attended to those issues raised above in the new version 12 below.
The small image is 500 x 435
The large will be 650 x 566.

AndyDufresne wrote:I'm superbly satisfied by the visuals of this map...I think you've captured the area wonderfully. The water though seems like it could be a touch lighter to perhaps to more resemble the actual color, but that's only a minor point.

I think this was commented on a few pages ago...someone mentioned the Sphinx looking a little like too much of the game board, and not enough like added scenery. Perhaps consider altering the texture, but again this is only a minor thing.

Definitely one of my favorite looking maps, and I think the gameplay looks like it could be fun too!

--Andy
Andy sea colour addressed in the version 12 below, as is the colour of the sphinx.
Thanks for your comments. :)

Private cairnswk

Postby snufkin on Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:02 pm

cairnswk wrote:
snufkin wrote:so my guess is that this is 10-15 % of Greek Egypt?
What century or centuries is it, and will upper egypt be from the same time?

looks pretty good!

I would not want to be too specific about making the map on a time period, I am more interested in capturing the flavour of the three kingdoms for this what will become a trilogy, and will link in with the Valley of the Kings map.

If you are indeed trying to capture the flavour of the three kingdoms then please don´t call every bonus continent by a Greek name..
I assume that the three kingdoms are the native egyptian kingdoms (the old, the middle and the new kingdom - not greek, roman or arab)

Memphis - greek name for the city of Ineb Hedj (men-nefer was a pyramid)
Alexandria - greek name for what was built on/near Râ-Kedet
Mendes - greek name for Djedet or Per-Banebdjedet in the nome of Kha
Tanis is the greek name for Djanet
Heliopolis - greek name for Lunu or Annu, capital of 13th nome
You changed name for the Buto continent to Xios - Buto is the greek name for the egyptian city of Per-Wadjet. Xios also sounds extremely greek.
The area to the east was called Wat-Hor.. suspect that Sile is also greek?

edit: googled a little and found wikipedia entry that might help give the map some Egyptian flavour instead of Greek.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nome_%28Eg ... t_of_nomes
The comet cometh!
Sergeant 1st Class snufkin

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:06 am

snufkin wrote:edit: googled a little and found wikipedia entry that might help give the map some Egyptian flavour instead of Greek.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nome_%28Eg ... t_of_nomes

Mmmm...thanks snufkin for your comments....duly noted.

You will of course understand when i quote this from wikipedia, same page you gave me

Survival of the nomes

The nomes survived through the Ptolemaic period, into Roman times. Under Roman rule, individual nomes minted their own coinage, the so-called "nome coins," which still reflect individual local associations and traditions. The nomes of Egypt retained their primary importance as administrative units until the fundamental rearrangement of the bureaucracy during the reigns of Diocletian and Constantine.

I think for the sake of artistic license and the creation of a map of "continents" there might be some basis for naming these after Greek city names....I wouldn't want to continue past that era, afterall the Rulers of Egypt ended with Cleopatra.

If you still don't agree with me. then i would welcome you suggestions (with explanations of why you require these to be called so), however, please remember that i require some greek to be included....your suggestion awaiting consideration :?: ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby snufkin on Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:10 pm

I understand that you want to cover a big timeline without being specific.. but if you only use greek for the bonus continents then it does look specifically greek and not very native egyptian.
Mix it up a little then.. I think it would help against others mistakenly identifying it as alexandrian or ptolemaic at first glance.

cairnswk wrote:If you still don't agree with me. then i would welcome you suggestions (with explanations of why you require these to be called so), however, please remember that i require some greek to be included....your suggestion awaiting consideration :?: ;)

If it is supposed to represent native egypt, then at least some of the large bonus continent names should be Egyptian.
I cant explain the reason for my concern much clearer than that... :?

but ok some suggestions:
Keep Alexandria Greek if you must - even if it definitely is between 4th.cent.bc and modern times, it at least produced a major city that was substantially larger than Rakotis or Râ-Kedet.

Mendes - it sounds decisively south-european (which it of course is).. - please consider per-banebdjedet (The Domain of the Ram Lord of Djedet) or Djedet or why not Kha which was a nome in that area? Djedet was once the capital of truly ancient egypt, but it already seems to have been in decline when it was renamed by the greeks..

Ineb Hedj ("The White Walls") or Ankh Tawy ("That which binds the Two Lands") was a capital of both the old and the new kingdom. Thousands of years later it was renamed Memphis by the greek after a pyramid called menfe in coptic.

Heliopolis - at least the name is referring to something Egyptian so I guess it´s not extremely poor if you keep the antique greek name instead of the ancient egyptian.

dont be lazy researching pre-greek names, I dont wanna tell you exactly what to do or do it for you - just pointing out a major error or whatever you choose to call it when things are off by thousands of years... you could just drop the map´s claim to be about the three kingdoms if you don´t want to change anything.

The map still looks gorgeous but dont focus so much on the greek names if it´s supposed to be ancient egypt.. please consider trying to make it more correct.
The comet cometh!
Sergeant 1st Class snufkin

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas