Conquer Club

Egypt: Lower [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: LOWER EGYPT V17

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:33 pm

greenoaks wrote:you have two terts at the bottom of the map not labelled. in previous versions it said Upper Egypt.

is leaving that out an oversight or a plan ? maybe you could have an arrow with the words 'to Upper Egypt map' there.

TaCktiX wrote:The continent names being in the bonus description is great, but where they are right now only a couple show up (the top ones). Could you move the text around a little bit so that the territories themselves don't obscure whatever the continent names are?

Otherwise, the entire map looks really good, especially the gradient into the sea, though it could be more apparent switching from the Nile to the Mediterranean (gradient starts up the Nile just a bit).

Version 17.
1. Fixed....the gradients from the river to the sea.
2. Addition of the words Upper Egypt
3. Sea gradient changed back to what it was in V13 (the good one)
4. Legend continent names moved around.

Click image to enlarge.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Re: LOWER EGYPT V17 (p11) [I] - Comments?

Postby laci_mae on Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:08 pm

Hi Cairns,

Love the update.

* The Am-Khent line needs adjusted toward the army circle again.
* Do I understand correctly that capitals which are neutral will not receive auto-deploy?

Thanks,
Laci
Corporal 1st Class laci_mae

Postby cairnswk on Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:03 am

laci_mae wrote:Hi Cairns,

Love the update.

* The Am-Khent line needs adjusted toward the army circle again.
* Do I understand correctly that capitals which are neutral will not receive auto-deploy?

Thanks,
Laci

I'll fix that line shortly LM...please refrsh your browser to see the adjustment.

I would imagine that would be the case with autodeploy on neutral capitals, but i will check with yeti_c :)

Reply\\\\
yeti_c wrote:
cairnswk wrote:Hi Yeti_C...a question from one of my threads - laci_mae from lower egypt....an army starting as neutral does or doesn't get an autodeploy bonus?
Hope you can assist!

Neutrals never get bonuses...

C.
Private cairnswk

Postby laci_mae on Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:26 pm

that works for me!

thanks,
LMR
Corporal 1st Class laci_mae

Postby ZeakCytho on Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:29 pm

The border between Sopdu and Khent-abt looks kind of funny. The angle of it makes it hard to see bevel, so, without closer examination, it just looks like a plain line. Could you maybe change the angle of this border to fix this? If there's no room for fudging borders because of historical accuracy, I'm not sure how else to fix this.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby bryguy on Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:37 am

I like the look right now, keep up the good work cairns :)
Corporal bryguy

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:00 pm

Hm, I made this suggestion on your other Egypt map...may be something to consider...bringing out the foreground images a little---like the pillars, so they don't seem to be on the same plane. But I'm liking the map either way.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby oaktown on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:28 pm

i agree with andy - if the pillars were a bit more three dimensional the Sphinx might look less out of place.

I like the overall look, and have no real problems with the play at this point. I'd still like a bit more river between some territories - there are a couple that seem to be touching.
Captain oaktown

Postby bryguy on Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:24 pm

i agree with both andy and oaks about the pillars, and heres some more comments

1) nitpicking: thers a small annoying black line along the bank of a little lake in the area that says upper for upper egypt
2) the bevel/emboss (dont know which u used... or what the difference is between them) looks great everywhere but on amkhent
3) is the little river in am-pehu supposed to stop before the nile?
4) at a quick glance it kinda seems like ament/sapi-res are touching, same for
Khensu/Ka-khem
Khensu/Am-Khent
Ka-henseb/Kha
5) Could u blend the nile a little more when it reaches the open water?
6) is there a purpose for the dows on those big arrows?
7) there seem to be sticks sticking out of some of the dows....

thats for the small map

large comments

1) Theres a little island thing between the upper part of sap-meh and khaset, and the bevel/emboss on part of it looks bad...
2) it also looks like that island and khaset are connected
3) same thing for pillars here
4) see # 7 for the small comments
5) see # 6 for the small comments
6) theres a thin strip between the heq-at and the egypt part of upper egypt
7) see # 5 for small comments

and i dont like how on the left pillar the pictures are blurred
Corporal bryguy

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri May 02, 2008 3:17 pm

Excuse my ignorance but doesn't this map actually depict upper Egypt and not lower Egypt? :?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby bryguy on Fri May 02, 2008 3:23 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:Excuse my ignorance but doesn't this map actually depict upper Egypt and not lower Egypt? :?

That always confused me as a kid, but for some reason the northern part of egypt were/(maybe)are called lower egypt, and the southern was/is called upper egypt
Corporal bryguy

Postby cairnswk on Fri May 02, 2008 3:32 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:The border between Sopdu and Khent-abt looks kind of funny. The angle of it makes it hard to see bevel, so, without closer examination, it just looks like a plain line. Could you maybe change the angle of this border to fix this? If there's no room for fudging borders because of historical accuracy, I'm not sure how else to fix this.

Changed the angle of that line, not sure if it's an improvement, but its caused by the angle of the overall bevel.

AndyDufresne wrote:Hm, I made this suggestion on your other Egypt map...may be something to consider...bringing out the foreground images a little---like the pillars, so they don't seem to be on the same plane. But I'm liking the map either way.
--Andy

Done

bryguy wrote:i agree with both andy and oaks about the pillars, and heres some more comments
1) nitpicking: thers a small annoying black line along the bank of a little lake in the area that says upper for upper egypt
2) the bevel/emboss (dont know which u used... or what the difference is between them) looks great everywhere but on amkhent
3) is the little river in am-pehu supposed to stop before the nile?

yes
4) at a quick glance it kinda seems like ament/sapi-res are touching, same for
Khensu/Ka-khem
Khensu/Am-Khent
Ka-henseb/Kha
5) Could u blend the nile a little more when it reaches the open water?

Done
6) is there a purpose for the dows on those big arrows?

yes...to show they are "shipping" attack lines...artistic embelishment
7) there seem to be sticks sticking out of some of the dows....

Yes those might the masts of the boats otherwise the sail would fall down ;)

thats for the small map
large comments
1) Theres a little island thing between the upper part of sap-meh and khaset, and the bevel/emboss on part of it looks bad...
2) it also looks like that island and khaset are connected
3) same thing for pillars here
4) see # 7 for the small comments
5) see # 6 for the small comments
6) theres a thin strip between the heq-at and the egypt part of upper egypt
7) see # 5 for small comments
and i dont like how on the left pillar the pictures are blurred

Won't do much about the things you don't like...that's personal preference.
But the things you identified as needing fixing aredone now in version 18 below.

Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri May 02, 2008 3:35 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:Excuse my ignorance but doesn't this map actually depict upper Egypt and not lower Egypt? :?

No Ruben...the nomenclature (if one can call it that) of the region is taken after the lower geographic regions of the Nile River, not the country....I know it's strange but that's how every reference in the world does it. Blame the english ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri May 02, 2008 3:36 pm

bryguy wrote:

That always confused me as a kid, but for some reason the northern part of egypt were/(maybe)are called lower egypt, and the southern was/is called upper egypt

See reasoning above.
Private cairnswk

Postby bryguy on Fri May 02, 2008 3:36 pm

cairnswk wrote:
bryguy wrote:

See reasoning above.

eh i told you i was always confused as a kid :mrgreen:

anyways cairns, love the map

edit: and the pillars look really good now!
Corporal bryguy

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri May 02, 2008 3:46 pm

cairnswk wrote:

No Ruben...the nomenclature (if one can call it that) of the region is taken after the lower geographic regions of the Nile River, not the country....I know it's strange but that's how every reference in the world does it. Blame the english ;)

Interesting stuff. I sent an sms to the Queen...maybe she can rectify this "misleading" situation. ;) It's still pending cause apparently she's busy playing with a Wii or something... :D
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby cairnswk on Fri May 02, 2008 3:57 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Interesting stuff. I sent an sms to the Queen...maybe she can rectify this "misleading" situation. ;) It's still pending cause apparently she's busy playing with a Wii or something... :D

LMAO...yes, look i have no concept of why it's named that, but i guess the english might have had a good part in it.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri May 02, 2008 4:00 pm

bryguy wrote:eh i told you i was always confused as a kid :mrgreen:
anyways cairns, love the map
edit: and the pillars look really good now!

Kewl...for Harry!!!
Private cairnswk

Re: LOWER EGYPT V17 (p11) [I] - Everyone Happy?

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 04, 2008 3:25 am

Everyone Happy with this one???

Private cairnswk

Postby Kaplowitz on Tue May 06, 2008 7:05 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

LMAO...yes, look i have no concept of why it's named that, but i guess the english might have had a good part in it.

Im pretty sure that it was the Ancient Egyptians themselves that called it that, as they had both an Upper and Lower Egyptian crown (later to be combined into one crown) that was given to the each of kings of Egypt. The Lower Egyptian King was north of the Upper Egyptian King (because the river flows north so the bottom of the river is in the north, as stated by Cairns. Correct me if im wrong....

Where it says Upper Egypt on the bottom is kind of misleading...because they arent territories (right?) Maybe just a larger bevel on the borders there, or a shadow, or different text/texture would help.
Actually, i think it would be fine if the text were just red or something.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Re: LOWER EGYPT V18 (p11) [I] - Comments?

Postby oaktown on Tue May 06, 2008 7:20 pm

Wow, I've been looking at this map for three weeks and this is the first time I noticed the attack route around the top... had to go back to see if it had actually been there all along! :shock:

I understand the reason for putting it there - makes the play more open, keeps a player from locking up a corner - but I'm not sure it makes sense. Seems like if you can row those little boats all the way across the sea, why can't you stop half-way and attack Khaset? And why can't the boat in Am-Pehu attack Kha right next to him?

And if you're intent on keeping it, the fact that I never saw it suggests that it may need to be somehow more obvious. And graphically, I don't think the arrowheads match the rest of the map.

re: mr previous comment about needing more river between some territories, the worst offender is between Sap-Meh and Sapi-Res; the Sap-Meh territory is so narrow that the boat between it and khaset actually crosses the land and spans two rivers. Seems like you could take some liberties in there and nudge everything to the left further into Ament.
Captain oaktown

Postby cairnswk on Tue May 06, 2008 8:19 pm

oaktown wrote:Wow, I've been looking at this map for three weeks and this is the first time I noticed the attack route around the top... had to go back to see if it had actually been there all along! :shock:

I understand the reason for putting it there - makes the play more open, keeps a player from locking up a corner - but I'm not sure it makes sense. Seems like if you can row those little boats all the way across the sea, why can't you stop half-way and attack Khaset? And why can't the boat in Am-Pehu attack Kha right next to him?

And if you're intent on keeping it, the fact that I never saw it suggests that it may need to be somehow more obvious. And graphically, I don't think the arrowheads match the rest of the map.

re: mr previous comment about needing more river between some territories, the worst offender is between Sap-Meh and Sapi-Res; the Sap-Meh territory is so narrow that the boat between it and khaset actually crosses the land and spans two rivers. Seems like you could take some liberties in there and nudge everything to the left further into Ament.

Yes i'd like to keep the ocean route....dowes had sails on them so a route from east to west via the sea in still feasible.

the arrowsheads i can change.

easy solution, move the boats on the river, but i have already made the river as wide as i can without losing the land. ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Tue May 06, 2008 8:22 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:Im pretty sure that it was the Ancient Egyptians themselves that called it that, as they had both an Upper and Lower Egyptian crown (later to be combined into one crown) that was given to the each of kings of Egypt. The Lower Egyptian King was north of the Upper Egyptian King (because the river flows north so the bottom of the river is in the north, as stated by Cairns. Correct me if im wrong....

Where it says Upper Egypt on the bottom is kind of misleading...because they arent territories (right?) Maybe just a larger bevel on the borders there, or a shadow, or different text/texture would help.
Actually, i think it would be fine if the text were just red or something.

There is no army shadows there...that should indicate something immediately.
but i will look at changing the font perhaps....definitely not red though.
Private cairnswk

Postby TaCktiX on Wed May 07, 2008 4:01 pm

You're going to kill me for bringing this up again, cairns, but I think the gradient switching from rushing Nile to deep blue sea is too short. If you could extend it up the river (roughly to A-ment text, Sap-Meh text, Khaset capital, Theb-ka dow, Semabehdet army circle, Kha dow, Kha capital, Am-Pehu text), it would give a better "delta" feel to it instead of "ZOMG OCEAN!" as it seems like to me right now.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby cairnswk on Wed May 07, 2008 5:37 pm

TaCktiX wrote:You're going to kill me for bringing this up again, cairns, but I think the gradient switching from rushing Nile to deep blue sea is too short. If you could extend it up the river (roughly to A-ment text, Sap-Meh text, Khaset capital, Theb-ka dow, Semabehdet army circle, Kha dow, Kha capital, Am-Pehu text), it would give a better "delta" feel to it instead of "ZOMG OCEAN!" as it seems like to me right now.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) *cairnswk repeatedly bashes TaCktiX head against the brick wall to kill him*
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas