Conquer Club

Sydney Metro [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Sydney Metro V19 (P8) [I] - Bus Attack Routes added

Postby oaktown on Tue May 06, 2008 8:53 pm

I agree - the bus depot thing is confusing. Can the Bondi bus attack the Northbridge bus depot? Is that a freeway between them, or a bridge? Or both? And if it's a crossable bridge, why can't Opera House use it to cross and attack the Zoo?

If bus depots can attack other bus depots, it should just say that - don't add a level of confusion trying to figure out if Bondi is along the same freeway as Revesby.

Opera House... you shoudl totally add it, since that's what most non-Australians think of when they think of Sydney. After you've done that, could you add some Koala bears climbing eucalyptus trees, kangaroos wearing boxing gloves, and Crocodile Dundee drinking a Fosters? :roll:

If this is supposed to be a tourist map, add it. But I think this is supposed to be a transit system map, which doesn't need the opera house.
Captain oaktown

Re: Sydney Metro V17 (P7) [I] - Further Comments?

Postby cairnswk on Wed May 07, 2008 1:17 pm

Current version
Image[/quote]
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby TaCktiX on Wed May 07, 2008 1:39 pm

Sorry, the addition of "by the freeways" made it seem like it had a bigger stipulation than "can attack any." My fault for misinterpretation.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby t-o-m on Wed May 07, 2008 1:44 pm

TaCktiX wrote:Sorry, the addition of "by the freeways" made it seem like it had a bigger stipulation than "can attack any." My fault for misinterpretation.

QFT
thats what i was about to say :)
yea the mentioning the freeway will confuse people, they will look for the freeway connections and may get confused, less confused than my sugg. though :D
Major t-o-m

Postby cairnswk on Wed May 07, 2008 1:49 pm

oaktown wrote:I agree - the bus depot thing is confusing. Can the Bondi bus attack the Northbridge bus depot?

Yes
Is that a freeway between them, or a bridge? Or both? And if it's a crossable bridge, why can't Opera House use it to cross and attack the Zoo?

Opera House can't attack Northbridge or Zoo because they have no bus depots, read the impassable instructions on the map, that's what they are there for. ;) Surely i don't have to tell you that.

If bus depots can attack other bus depots, it should just say that - don't add a level of confusion trying to figure out if Bondi is along the same freeway as Revesby.
It doesn't matter if they are on the same Freeway, what matters is that the instructions say Bus Depots can attack each other via the Freeways as in Freeways being a utility to get around.

At some point in this whole discussion, and i believe you were included in that, there was discussion about the use of the freeways and bridges....i added the bus depots to validate the use of the freeways & bridges and made it so they could attack each other. I think Oaktown it is you who confuses yourself sometimes by questioning things at a higher level that what it written. Simply accept that the Impassables say freeways are out of bounds to most attacks except the buses, and then connect the dots via the bus depots being able to use the freeways to attack each other. It really is that simple. You don't have to take it extraordinary lengths of interpretation.

Opera House... you should totally add it, since that's what most non-Australians think of when they think of Sydney. After you've done that, could you add some Koala bears climbing eucalyptus trees, kangaroos wearing boxing gloves, and Crocodile Dundee drinking a Fosters? :roll:
If this is supposed to be a tourist map, add it. But I think this is supposed to be a transit system map, which doesn't need the opera house.

Now that's a level of sarcasim (my interpretation) i don't like from you in particular. i would have thought you know better than that.
It is not just a transit map, but a map of the layout of Sydney Metro, same as NYC is layout of the map of NY but it still uses the rail system on that map to make gameplay.I choose to use the freeways and ferries on this map. Most people world-over associate that Opera House with Sydney so why not use it. I could have used Macquarie Tower, or the Olympic Stadium, or Bondi Beach, or Central Station or Circular Quay or Kirribili House, and most player would question "what's that?" Same on the Valley of the Kings map, i used the Sphinx and Pyramid.
I think the Opera House plays on perfect image association myself. So it stays.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed May 07, 2008 1:53 pm

TaCktiX wrote:Sorry, the addition of "by the freeways" made it seem like it had a bigger stipulation than "can attack any." My fault for misinterpretation.

Then "via the Freeways" will be removed if it too confusing. But don't ask me in further discussions to justify the use of the bridges or freeways re any questions about the bus depots.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu May 08, 2008 3:45 pm

Interesting history....at the dentist in Northbridge yesterday i came across a history of the North shore of sydney.
Chatswood was named after some bloke's wife whose name was Chatty, and there was a "woods" or small forest if you like close by his acreage that his wife used to enjoy walking in, so he called that place "Chatty's Wood". Nice. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby bryguy on Sun May 11, 2008 8:58 am

1) I like how you cleaned up the water by adding ferry attack routes, but could u make the symbol like 5 pixels bigger? if not, then thats ok :)
2) I really like the busses
3) You cant see all of the name Monterav, sorry if its already been noted
4) Maybe increase the bonus for waverly since it now has 8 borders?
Corporal bryguy

Re: Sydney Metro V20 Small and Large

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 11, 2008 12:52 pm

bryguy wrote:1) I like how you cleaned up the water by adding ferry attack routes, but could u make the symbol like 5 pixels bigger? if not, then thats ok :)
2) I really like the busses
3) You cant see all of the name Monterav, sorry if its already been noted
4) Maybe increase the bonus for waverly since it now has 8 borders?

All done...in version 20 below, bonuses increased by 1 per suburb that has a bus depot.

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Re: Sydney Metro V20 (P9) [I] - Small and Large

Postby gimil on Sun May 11, 2008 7:30 pm

The color scheme on this one is probably one of my favourites currently in the foundry. Its different from most maps that go through here. However I do have 1 or 2 minor concerns. Firstly I dont like the traffic light crossing they are too untidy and some of them are miscoloured. I little rework shouldnt be to much for a man of your calibar and experience ;)

My next concern is the square dotes used to line the roads. There rather inconsistant and I feel lines would work better.

Oh, and Parramatta isnt formated thet same as the other terr names and is caught under its army circles :)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 11, 2008 8:02 pm

gimil wrote:The color scheme on this one is probably one of my favourites currently in the foundry. Its different from most maps that go through here. However I do have 1 or 2 minor concerns. Firstly I dont like the traffic light crossing they are too untidy and some of them are miscoloured. I little rework shouldnt be to much for a man of your calibar and experience ;)

That's not a prob, but i don't think they are miscoloured, since they're all a copy of the original.

Can you identify the lights that are untidy please, as i'm not calling the shots on that one.

My next concern is the square dotes used to line the roads. There rather inconsistant and I feel lines would work better.

Mmmmm...i think the dots are better indicators for this purpose and are more to scale. Some of them fall over each other, so i will try and adjust those.

Oh, and Parramatta isnt formated thet same as the other terr names and is caught under its army circles :)
Oops, don't know what happened there but will fix.
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Sun May 11, 2008 8:07 pm

cairns ill get back to you in the morning. Its sleepy time for me. :)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: Sydney Metro V21

Postby cairnswk on Mon May 12, 2008 2:20 pm

gimil wrote:cairns ill get back to you in the morning. Its sleepy time for me. :)

Here's Version 21

Changes:
1. Fixed traffic lights by removing the bottom leg on them...it was making stick-out thingys look ugly!
2. Re-positioned traffic lights for better placement
3. Changed some pedestrian crossings so that they diagonalled across the road as per previous request.
4. Fixed the joins of the dots in the road so they are tidier.
5. Fixed Parrammatta text on large map.

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Re: Sydney Metro V21 (P10) [I] - Small and Large

Postby TaCktiX on Tue May 13, 2008 5:30 am

In the midst of some of your repainting, some text got painted over:
- Opera House
- Concord

Also, I think that the traffic lights are a little TOO close to the freeway, it's making them blend in in some places:
- Rookwood/Burwood
- Peakhurst/Hurstville
- Rockdale/Monteray
- Ryde/Epping

You've got plenty of space at those crossings to move the traffic lights a little bit away from the road. Do the same with the legend description.

Since you're going to keep the bothways description for routes (which I still disagree with), perhaps PhotoShop in a 1px line to make them look like arrows instead of the caret symbols? And bothways should be two words, not one.

As I'm sure you noticed, these are really minor points, I think this map is getting close to some stamping action.

Re: Sydney Metro V22

Postby cairnswk on Tue May 13, 2008 6:41 am

TaCktiX wrote:In the midst of some of your repainting, some text got painted over:
- Opera House
- Concord

Fixed

Also, I think that the traffic lights are a little TOO close to the freeway, it's making them blend in in some places:
- Rookwood/Burwood
- Peakhurst/Hurstville
- Rockdale/Monteray
- Ryde/Epping
You've got plenty of space at those crossings to move the traffic lights a little bit away from the road. Do the same with the legend description.

Fixed, plus moved some others.

Since you're going to keep the bothways description for routes (which I still disagree with), perhaps PhotoShop in a 1px line to make them look like arrows instead of the caret symbols? And bothways should be two words, not one.

I've added small triangles instead of 1px lines...didn't like that idea...bothways fixed.

As I'm sure you noticed, these are really minor points, I think this map is getting close to some stamping action.
[/quote][/quote]
Minor points make a polished map, thanks TaCktiX :)

Version 22 below...

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Postby TaCktiX on Tue May 13, 2008 6:45 am

Ver goot. I say throw a gameplay and graphics stamp on it and sticky the sucker, but why would anybody listen to me? 8-)

Postby cairnswk on Tue May 13, 2008 3:23 pm

TaCktiX wrote:Ver goot. I say throw a gameplay and graphics stamp on it and sticky the sucker, but why would anybody listen to me? 8-)
:) :)
Private cairnswk

Postby oaktown on Tue May 13, 2008 11:27 pm

Alright, let's stamp this sucker. :D

And my apologies for the Opera House comment - I honestly didn't see that you had added it, and I thought Andy was asking for it! #-o
And I kind of agree that it doesn't fit the look of the map, but I don't know that redrawing it would be worth the effort.
Captain oaktown

Postby cairnswk on Wed May 14, 2008 3:58 am

oaktown wrote:Alright, let's stamp this sucker. :D

And my apologies for the Opera House comment - I honestly didn't see that you had added it, and I thought Andy was asking for it! #-o
And I kind of agree that it doesn't fit the look of the map, but I don't know that redrawing it would be worth the effort.

Thanks oaktown.
No worries about the Opera House comment. I'll see what i can do to tackle it though.
Private cairnswk

Re: Sydney Metro V23

Postby cairnswk on Thu May 15, 2008 7:23 am

Version 22. A hand-painted Opera House...very freestyle and naive....simplicity.

Private cairnswk

Re: Sydney Metro V23 (P10) [I,Gp] - Painted Opera House

Postby TaCktiX on Thu May 15, 2008 2:26 pm

Well, it looks like a hand-painted Opera House, and since that's what you were going for, good job. I'd say my only lingering concern is the hefty hyphenation: Cen-ten-nial Park. Is there ANY way to change that so it doesn't look so...separated?

Re: Sydney Metro V23 (P10) [I,Gp] - Painted Opera House

Postby cairnswk on Thu May 15, 2008 2:39 pm

TaCktiX wrote:Well, it looks like a hand-painted Opera House, and since that's what you were going for, good job. I'd say my only lingering concern is the hefty hyphenation: Cen-ten-nial Park. Is there ANY way to change that so it doesn't look so...separated?

If i removed most of the hyphenation, i would have to move the name over the freeway and into the city area, which i thought would cause some confusion. so i thought while it doesn't look the best as it is, at least it stays within its boundaries. But i'll have another look at it to see if i have exhausted all the alternatives. :)

EDIT* That sounds like BS ;)
Last edited by cairnswk on Thu May 15, 2008 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Re: Sydney Metro V24 L&S

Postby cairnswk on Thu May 15, 2008 3:45 pm

Version 24.

Changes.
1. Hyphenation on Centennial Park diminished.
2. two new suburbs added; Redfern in City, and Glebe to Inner West.
3. Bonuses on all terits adjusted.
4. Gladesville ferry icon placement adjusted.
5. Leichhardt placement adjusted.

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) [I,Gp] - Bonuses adjusted

Postby t-o-m on Thu May 15, 2008 3:51 pm

opera house looks good hand-painted, couldnt you have gotten the same effect by using a filter on the layer or something?
Major t-o-m

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) [I,Gp] - Bonuses adjusted

Postby cairnswk on Thu May 15, 2008 3:52 pm

t-o-m wrote:opera house looks good hand-painted, couldnt you have gotten the same effect by using a filter on the layer or something?

not in fireworks CS3.
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas