Conquer Club

Sydney Metro [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Sydney Metro V3 (P4) - New additions

Postby RjBeals on Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:51 am

cairnswk wrote:Image

Fantastic work cairnswk. I love the map. Another beauty. And no gimmicks !!

Couple of picky things -

1) The color bars where the bonus region names are along the left side - could you extend the right side of those bars so they fall underneath the bolder legend border? I also see something between those color bars bleeding through - not sure what it is though.

2) The water routes are a little confusing. since they are so close and all lead to opera house, they get jumbled up around there. What about lines instead of dots - like beveled/flowing lines?

3) I like the traffic lights. Keep them. But I think the road crossings could be a little better than current. Maybe make them slanted instead of horizontal?

4) Your territory font is perfect. What did you use anyway? I love it. Perfect size, perfect amount of drop shadow - well done.

5) Colors are perfect as well.
Private RjBeals

Re: Sydney Metro V3 (P4) [I] - Comments?

Postby gimil on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:03 am

I agree with everything RJ says except I think the terr names could use the slightest bit of transparency.

Also the Olympic Park is missing a drop shadow.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby bryguy on Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:16 am

u cant see the upper left corner of the 'H' in opera house cause the stop sign is on it, could u modify that so that u can?

some peoplemight thing that since the army circle is on the other side of a dotted line from the title of KS It'l Airport that it is part of another territory (just felt like pointing that out, it would probably not be that big a problem)

other than that the map looks great except for all the feiry lines converging on one spot (gets a little confusing)

keep up the good work cairns :D
Corporal bryguy

Postby FreeMan10 on Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:43 pm

Hey Cairns-

Looking pretty spiffy!

A couple of graphical notes-

1) the Balmoral/Taronga Zoo border runs over the 2nd A in Taronga.

2) I agree with RjB's note about the color bars for the legend - there seems to be uneven spacing between them, and some sort of white vertical stripe shows through on the right side of the bars.

3) Ryde's legend bar doesn't seem to merge well with the brown border.

4) the legend border at Parramatta overruns the text for Auburn

5) it seems odd that the legend has a brown border around the outside of it, while the rest of the actual map doesn't have any border at all. I'd say keep the brown line as a separator, but remove it from the outside border. That'll give you a few more pixels for the actual map.

6) It might make more sense to hyphenate Cen-tenn-i-al than Cent-enn-ial. Then again, that's coming from one who doesn't speak the Queen's English, so opinions may differ... :)

7) Maybe take the extra few pixels from #5 and stretch the Opera House/Centennial Park area to give yourself a smidge of breathing room there.

FreeMan
Cadet FreeMan10

Postby greenoaks on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:59 pm

would Centen-nial fit ?
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby RjBeals on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:27 pm

FreeMan10 wrote:5) it seems odd that the legend has a brown border around the outside of it, while the rest of the actual map doesn't have any border at all. I'd say keep the brown line as a separator, but remove it from the outside border. That'll give you a few more pixels for the actual map.

Disagree. I like the way the entire legend area has the brown border. My vote is to keep it. :D
Private RjBeals

Postby cairnswk on Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:07 pm

Sir. Ricco wrote:Ok, here some things I just like to bring up

1. Do you really need those Stop lights? They kind of crowd the map

Yes. I think they are needed to highlight the pedestrian xings

3. The ferry routes are just a little confusing. I get them, but I can see them becoming a problem to the...*Amen* noobs.

That should be attended to in V15 below

4. Inner West I think should be knocked down to 2 bonuses. With only two ways to get into it, it would be pretty easies to defend.

i haven't looked at that yet, but please remind me later....if i forget. Thanks for your comments. :)

RjBeals wrote:1) The color bars where the bonus region names are along the left side - could you extend the right side of those bars so they fall underneath the bolder legend border? I also see something between those color bars bleeding through - not sure what it is though.

2) The water routes are a little confusing. since they are so close and all lead to opera house, they get jumbled up around there. What about lines instead of dots - like beveled/flowing lines?

3) I like the traffic lights. Keep them. But I think the road crossings could be a little better than current. Maybe make them slanted instead of horizontal?

4) Your territory font is perfect. What did you use anyway? I love it. Perfect size, perfect amount of drop shadow - well done.

5) Colors are perfect as well.

Thanks Rj...most of that attended to below in V15

gimil wrote:I agree with everything RJ says except I think the terr names could use the slightest bit of transparency.

Also the Olympic Park is missing a drop shadow.

Fixed in V15 below, thanks Gimil

bryguy wrote:u cant see the upper left corner of the 'H' in opera house cause the stop sign is on it, could u modify that so that u can?

some peoplemight thing that since the army circle is on the other side of a dotted line from the title of KS It'l Airport that it is part of another territory (just felt like pointing that out, it would probably not be that big a problem)

other than that the map looks great except for all the feiry lines converging on one spot (gets a little confusing)

keep up the good work cairns :D

All should be fixed in V15 below, thanks Bryguy

FreeMan10 wrote:Hey Cairns-

Looking pretty spiffy!

A couple of graphical notes-

1) the Balmoral/Taronga Zoo border runs over the 2nd A in Taronga.

2) I agree with RjB's note about the color bars for the legend - there seems to be uneven spacing between them, and some sort of white vertical stripe shows through on the right side of the bars.

3) Ryde's legend bar doesn't seem to merge well with the brown border.

4) the legend border at Parramatta overruns the text for Auburn

5) it seems odd that the legend has a brown border around the outside of it, while the rest of the actual map doesn't have any border at all. I'd say keep the brown line as a separator, but remove it from the outside border. That'll give you a few more pixels for the actual map.

6) It might make more sense to hyphenate Cen-tenn-i-al than Cent-enn-ial. Then again, that's coming from one who doesn't speak the Queen's English, so opinions may differ... :)

7) Maybe take the extra few pixels from #5 and stretch the Opera House/Centennial Park area to give yourself a smidge of breathing room there.

FreeMan

All that should be fixed in V15 below, thanks FreeMan

greenoaks wrote:would Centen-nial fit ?

Done greenoaks...thanks

RjBeals wrote:Disagree. I like the way the entire legend area has the brown border. My vote is to keep it. :D

Me too!

V15 below.
Changes:
1. Tert names plaques in legend fixed.
2. Impassable/Passables moved to top of map above bonuses
3. Ferry lines removed and attack routes notated in the legend at bottom
4. KS I'tnl Airport changed placed wioth army shadow
5. Woollarha changed name to Kings Cross
6. Centennial Park re-hyphenated.
7. Other small tidy-ups

Click image to enlarge.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby RjBeals on Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:52 pm

Love the update, but I'm not so sure I'm down with totally removing the ferry attack routes. Sure you explain it there, but I think there needs to be a path to follow as well.
Private RjBeals

Postby oaktown on Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:39 pm

RjBeals wrote:Love the update, but I'm not so sure I'm down with totally removing the ferry attack routes. Sure you explain it there, but I think there needs to be a path to follow as well.

I can live with removing the ferry routes, but it seems that the territories that can attack/be attacked via a ferry route need some type of symbol to indicate this to players. I can just see it now...

2008-05-10 09:14:43 - oaktown: what the... how'd you do that?
2008-05-10 09:12:17 - oaktown: Crap, forgot the damn ferry routes. Cairnswk!! :p
Captain oaktown

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:04 pm

oaktown wrote:
RjBeals wrote:Love the update, but I'm not so sure I'm down with totally removing the ferry attack routes. Sure you explain it there, but I think there needs to be a path to follow as well.

I can live with removing the ferry routes, but it seems that the territories that can attack/be attacked via a ferry route need some type of symbol to indicate this to players. I can just see it now...

2008-05-10 09:14:43 - oaktown: what the... how'd you do that?
2008-05-10 09:12:17 - oaktown: Crap, forgot the damn ferry routes. Cairnswk!! :p

Ferry routes are back in....only....which version, straight lines or dots or lines with arrowheads.....

Version 16

Private cairnswk

Re: Sydney Metro V16 (P6) [I] - Comments?

Postby onbekende on Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:00 pm

I am okay with the new map, except 1 thing, can't you make the passable lines of the freeway in the legend just the background of that legend instead of green?

bonusses are fine
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby RjBeals on Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:19 pm

cairnswk wrote:Ferry routes are back in....only....which version, straight lines or dots or lines with arrowheads.....

meh.. I'm not a fan of either. I prefer NO FERRY ROUTES !!

But if gameplay depends on them being there, then I say solid lines.
Private RjBeals

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:40 pm

RjBeals wrote:
cairnswk wrote:Ferry routes are back in....only....which version, straight lines or dots or lines with arrowheads.....

meh.. I'm not a fan of either. I prefer NO FERRY ROUTES !!

But if gameplay depends on them being there, then I say solid lines.

But they are part of original gameplay.

Do you want:
1. no ferry attack routes at all
2. keep the attack routes but no lines on the map
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:43 pm

onbekende wrote:I am okay with the new map, except 1 thing, can't you make the passable lines of the freeway in the legend just the background of that legend instead of green?

bonusses are fine

yep

Last edited by cairnswk on Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby RjBeals on Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:45 pm

cairnswk wrote:Do you want:
1. no ferry attack routes at all
2. keep the attack routes but no lines on the map

Oaktown is correct about having the routes in the legend, but not in the box. It will sneak up on people and piss them off. The more I look at the map, the more I prefer (and like) the solid lines.
Private RjBeals

Postby greenoaks on Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:06 am

i agree too, you need the ferry lines on the map.

most of the lines are smooth flowing except two. just above olympic park & directly beneath the "A" in balmoral. perhaps lower the angle the line leaves the opera house so it doesn't jerk so much when you take it around the word balmoral. also don't be afraid to give the manly end a bit of a curve too as the line there seems to cross the western tip of north head. in reality in comes out of manly cove on the other side as i think there is a wharf there.

in the legend for the ferry attack routes you indicate the routes with < > attack both ways. they all have that symbol, they all attack both ways. so why not just say all ferry routes attack both ways.

do you think some players might confuse the line showing where kensington is as a ferry route ?
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby cairnswk on Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:42 am

greenoaks wrote:i agree too, you need the ferry lines on the map.

most of the lines are smooth flowing except two. just above olympic park & directly beneath the "A" in balmoral. perhaps lower the angle the line leaves the opera house so it doesn't jerk so much when you take it around the word balmoral. also don't be afraid to give the manly end a bit of a curve too as the line there seems to cross the western tip of north head. in reality in comes out of manly cove on the other side as i think there is a wharf there.

in the legend for the ferry attack routes you indicate the routes with < > attack both ways. they all have that symbol, they all attack both ways. so why not just say all ferry routes attack both ways.

Uh huh! hear you on that. i'll see what i can improve.

do you think some players might confuse the line showing where kensington is as a ferry route ?

yes there is that possibility, so i think it might be prudent to change the line to something. see what i can come up with.
Thanks for your comments.
Private cairnswk

Postby edbeard on Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:43 pm

I think the opacity of the lines would be better if you brought it down by 10% or so

I'd like to see the following water routes removed for gameplay and sometimes also visual purposes

Drummoyne - Opera House

Opera House - Vaucluse
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby oaktown on Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:41 pm

ferry routes... hmm... clearly they are necessary for gameplay, because otherwise you have a northern region with one border. I also agree that the solid lines are better than the dotted line, as it looks more like a transit map of the city this way. I still don't think it would hurt to have some kind of Ferry logo on the territories with ferry terminals, as it would aid identification as well as lend itself to the transit map theme.

It's still a little weird to me that you have bridges across waterways that aren't a part of gameplay. I look at the map and instantly think Attack Route! but then I do a double take every time.
Captain oaktown

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:29 am

edbeard wrote:I think the opacity of the lines would be better if you brought it down by 10% or so

I'd like to see the following water routes removed for gameplay and sometimes also visual purposes

Drummoyne - Opera House

Opera House - Vaucluse

This I can do :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:34 am

oaktown wrote:ferry routes... hmm... clearly they are necessary for gameplay, because otherwise you have a northern region with one border. I also agree that the solid lines are better than the dotted line, as it looks more like a transit map of the city this way. I still don't think it would hurt to have some kind of Ferry logo on the territories with ferry terminals, as it would aid identification as well as lend itself to the transit map theme.

It's still a little weird to me that you have bridges across waterways that aren't a part of gameplay. I look at the map and instantly think Attack Route! but then I do a double take every time.

Uh huh.....ferry routes are staying but trimmed to edbeard's suggestion.....
lines will be reduced in to Average opacity
as far as a ferry logo goes....i would like to use one, but am reluctant as those terts would be sooooooo crowded if i put something else on them. ;) see what others have to say about this...if they read this thread?!
bridges are used on the freeway and freeways are impassable.....the roads were part of the attack routes in the previous version of this for the olympics and people didn't understand using them, so it got chopped. :evil:
this simply uses roads as an impassable. ;) and keeps gameplay simply and classic in style.
Private cairnswk

Postby mibi on Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:35 am

It seems weird that the roads are impassable. Just seems a bit counter-intuitive. Nothing you can do about it though, I suppose.
Captain mibi

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:33 am

mibi wrote:It seems weird that the roads are impassable. Just seems a bit counter-intuitive. Nothing you can do about it though, I suppose.

Of course mibi....yes there would be something i could do about it but don't wish to change this theme.
Private cairnswk

Re: Sydney Metro V17 (P7) [I] - Ferries????

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:16 pm

Version 17

1. Changed the opacity of the ferry lines
2. Removed the OH <> Vaucluse, and Drummoyne <> OP ferry routes
3. added oaktown's suggestions of a ferry symbol, but i think those have to be cleared a bit better.

Private cairnswk

Re: Sydney Metro V17 (P7) [I] - Ferry Routes?

Postby TaCktiX on Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:38 pm

That looks much better, more understandable, and less cramped. Good change there cairns.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas