Conquer Club

Sydney Metro [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) XML done [Final Forge]

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:27 am

yeti_c wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
yeti_c wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
yeti_c wrote:What's a 'xing'?

C.

i don't beleive your asking that question C.
crossing.


Hmmm - perhaps "crossing" would be better then?

C.

i like xing, and everyone seems to be able to understand it. you are the only objector thus far.


Pointless shortening is unnecessary in my book?!

C.

Fine. i can accept that. but i still like it.
User avatar
Private cairnswk
 
Posts: 11508
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 53
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (38) General Contribution (3)

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) XML done [Final Forge]

Postby yeti_c on Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:54 am

You don't need the "[except to buses]" wording either.

C.
Last edited by yeti_c on Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9624
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) XML done [Final Forge]

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:56 am

yeti_c wrote:You don't need the "[except to buses]" wording either.

C.

C....that's your opinion. You are entitled to it.
I think it is needed from my experience, and it stands.
User avatar
Private cairnswk
 
Posts: 11508
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 53
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (38) General Contribution (3)

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) XML done [Final Forge]

Postby yeti_c on Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:59 am

cairnswk wrote:
yeti_c wrote:You don't need the "[except to buses]" wording either.

C.

C....that's your opinion. You are entitled to it.
I think it is needed from my experience, and it stands.


Well it doesn't make sense - if they were impassible to the bus depots - then only Botany - Bondi & Marrickville - Hurstville would be meaningful... if anything it confuses the issue...

If you're going to keep it - then remove the word 'to'

C.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9624
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) XML done [Final Forge]

Postby yeti_c on Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:00 am

Also - the "Ferry roures below <> indicates both directions" bit is just plain weird...

What does it mean?

C.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9624
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) XML done [Final Forge]

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:04 am

yeti_c wrote:Also - the "Ferry roures below <> indicates both directions" bit is just plain weird...

What does it mean?

C.

read the legends instructions.
User avatar
Private cairnswk
 
Posts: 11508
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 53
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (38) General Contribution (3)

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) XML done [Final Forge]

Postby yeti_c on Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:09 am

cairnswk wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Also - the "Ferry roures below <> indicates both directions" bit is just plain weird...

What does it mean?

C.

read the legends instructions.


I've read them - and they make no sense... hence why I am asking what it means...

a) there are no arrows on the map (Except in the legend)
b) It's obvious they are routes and that they are both directions so all you need is "Ferry Routes" with the pictures of the boats.

C.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9624
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) XML done [Final Forge]

Postby gho on Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:09 am

Great map, i just wished you had gone maybe a cm south or so as you would have got my house in.
Lieutenant gho
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:13 am
Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) XML done [Final Forge]

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:03 pm

yeti_c wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Also - the "Ferry roures below <> indicates both directions" bit is just plain weird...

What does it mean?

C.

read the legends instructions.


I've read them - and they make no sense... hence why I am asking what it means...

a) there are no arrows on the map (Except in the legend)
b) It's obvious they are routes and that they are both directions so all you need is "Ferry Routes" with the pictures of the boats.

C.

well this is a little extra for everyone and it is hardly confusing.
User avatar
Private cairnswk
 
Posts: 11508
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 53
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (38) General Contribution (3)

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) XML done [Final Forge]

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:03 pm

gho wrote:Great map, i just wished you had gone maybe a cm south or so as you would have got my house in.

Sorry gho.
User avatar
Private cairnswk
 
Posts: 11508
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 53
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (38) General Contribution (3)

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) XML done [Final Forge]

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:11 am

cairnswk wrote:
yeti_c wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Also - the "Ferry roures below <> indicates both directions" bit is just plain weird...

What does it mean?

C.

read the legends instructions.


I've read them - and they make no sense... hence why I am asking what it means...

a) there are no arrows on the map (Except in the legend)
b) It's obvious they are routes and that they are both directions so all you need is "Ferry Routes" with the pictures of the boats.

C.

well this is a little extra for everyone and it is hardly confusing.


What do you mean?

Where are the arrows on the map - what do they mean? It's so much extra that it is totally confusing - much like the "except buses" thing?!

C.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9624
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) XML done [Final Forge]

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:13 am

yeti_c wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
yeti_c wrote:
cairnswk wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Also - the "Ferry roures below <> indicates both directions" bit is just plain weird...

What does it mean?

C.

read the legends instructions.


I've read them - and they make no sense... hence why I am asking what it means...

a) there are no arrows on the map (Except in the legend)
b) It's obvious they are routes and that they are both directions so all you need is "Ferry Routes" with the pictures of the boats.

C.

well this is a little extra for everyone and it is hardly confusing.


What do you mean?

Where are the arrows on the map - what do they mean? It's so much extra that it is totally confusing - much like the "except buses" thing?!

C.

is there any chance you'll get over this and just accept that it is my decision to keep it there, and that is the end of the story? instead of keep harping on it.! I usually appreciate everything you say C...but this is going too far. I want it to stay.
User avatar
Private cairnswk
 
Posts: 11508
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 53
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (38) General Contribution (3)

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) XML done [Final Forge]

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:17 am

No - as it's completely weird - even you can't explain what it means - therefore it needs changing.

C.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9624
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) XML done [Final Forge]

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 am

yeti_c wrote:No - as it's completely weird - even you can't explain what it means - therefore it needs changing.

C.


I see it as being there to further clarify exactly what the ferry attack routes are.
you say it needs changing, i say it doesn't, you don't necessarily get your own way all the time with me C.
I give you guys 95% of what you want on these maps, now stop annoying me over some picky little piece of information that i want on the map. i'm calling mapmakers choice mate, you're not always 100% correct. :)
User avatar
Private cairnswk
 
Posts: 11508
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 53
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (38) General Contribution (3)

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) XML done [Final Forge]

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:26 am

cairnswk wrote:
yeti_c wrote:No - as it's completely weird - even you can't explain what it means - therefore it needs changing.

C.


I see it as being there to further clarify exactly what the ferry attack routes are.
you say it needs changing, i say it doesn't, you don't necessarily get your own way all the time with me C.
I give you guys 95% of what you want on these maps, now stop annoying me over some picky little piece of information that i want on the map. i'm calling mapmakers choice mate, you're not always 100% correct. :)


Go on then - explain what it means?

C.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9624
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) XML done [Final Forge]

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:30 pm

You could replace the <> with a simple " ----- " in the legend.

Or you on the map gameboard you could add an arrow pointing > from Para. right near the icon, and on the other side near Drum you could point an arrow pointing the other way on the line < ...if the makes any sense. You could do that to all the routes. Maybe that would solve things?

Also, you are probably finished working on the Opera House image in the bottom left, but if you so happen to feel inclined, the water looks a little flat, when compared to the brush strokes used for the Opera House. Maybe you could use a similar stroke to make a little wave or two? :)


--Andy
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
 
Posts: 24917
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: A Banana Palm in Zihuatanejo
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) XML done [Final Forge]

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:54 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:You could replace the <> with a simple " ----- " in the legend.

Or you on the map gameboard you could add an arrow pointing > from Para. right near the icon, and on the other side near Drum you could point an arrow pointing the other way on the line < ...if the makes any sense. You could do that to all the routes. Maybe that would solve things?


Andy... i don't think there is anything to be solved in this case. It is perfectly clear that the way i have notated this in the legend indicates to you that this is another way of expressing attack arrows, and I have no desire to change it to add the pointers of the arrows on the lines on the map itself. To me, there is nothing to be resolved, and this aspect will not be changed. I appreciate your attempted mediation.

Also, you are probably finished working on the Opera House image in the bottom left, but if you so happen to feel inclined, the water looks a little flat, when compared to the brush strokes used for the Opera House. Maybe you could use a similar stroke to make a little wave or two? :)
--Andy

This i will attend to. :)
User avatar
Private cairnswk
 
Posts: 11508
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 53
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (38) General Contribution (3)

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) XML done [Final Forge]

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:16 pm

yeti_c wrote:Go on then - explain what it means?

C.


You still haven't explained what that sentence means?

Is that cos it's not very well written?

Is that cos it needs changing?

C.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9624
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) XML done [Final Forge]

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:52 pm

yeti_c wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Go on then - explain what it means?

C.


You still haven't explained what that sentence means?

Is that cos it's not very well written?

Is that cos it needs changing?

C.


C...thank you for your comments. You know very well what it means/reads as. Whether it is well written or not is beside the point. I have chosen on this map to indicate in that manner that this is what the attack routes are. If you don't like it, then too bad, as i said i don't believe it needs fixing or changing. Judging from the lack of other comments on this aspect, i would say that everyone else is happy on the way it is written.

Below, in version 24 (f5) the water has been changed.

XML link
http://h1.ripway.com/cairnswk/_sydney_metro_030608.xml
I beleive the xml has been checked and passed and is awaiting stamping.

Version 24 Small
Click image to enlarge.
image


Version 24 Large.
Click image to enlarge.
image
User avatar
Private cairnswk
 
Posts: 11508
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 53
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (38) General Contribution (3)

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) XML done [Final Forge]

Postby yeti_c on Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

I just can't believe you're ignoring this?!

Nevermind.

C.
Image
Highest score : 2297
User avatar
Lieutenant yeti_c
 
Posts: 9624
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (13) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (10)

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) XML done [Final Forge]

Postby edbeard on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:33 pm

I'm pretty sure I remember other people mentioning it too.

It's not really a big deal, but I think it's weird to say it goes both ways when there's nowhere on the map that is a one-way.
User avatar
Major edbeard
 
Posts: 2501
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:41 am
Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (3)

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) XML done [Final Forge]

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:36 pm

edbeard wrote:I'm pretty sure I remember other people mentioning it too.

It's not really a big deal, but I think it's weird to say it goes both ways when there's nowhere on the map that is a one-way.


yes. i don't think it's a big deal either. It simply clarifies what is already there.
User avatar
Private cairnswk
 
Posts: 11508
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 53
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (38) General Contribution (3)

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) XML done [Final Forge]

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:08 pm

Image

Thanks again Forza!


--Andy
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
 
Posts: 24917
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: A Banana Palm in Zihuatanejo
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) XML done [Final Forge]

Postby t-o-m on Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:19 pm

woo...almost there agauin cairns
User avatar
Major t-o-m
 
Posts: 2908
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:22 pm
Medals: 41
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Sydney Metro V24 (P10) XML done [Final Forge]

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:43 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Image

Thanks again Forza!


--Andy


Thanks Andy.
User avatar
Private cairnswk
 
Posts: 11508
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:32 pm
Medals: 53
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (38) General Contribution (3)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users