Conquer Club

Sydney Metro [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Sydney Metro [Quenched]

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:29 pm

DiM wrote:i'm just playing this map for the first time and i'm honestly amazed it got the gameplay stamp.
the layout is fine with good connections but the bonuses are messed up.

for example bankstown has a +5 for a 4 terit continent with 3 borders.
or waverley who has +3 for a 3 terit continent with 2 borders.

and there's a general feel of inconsistency in the bonuses.
rockdale has 4 terits 3 borders and gives +3.
paramata has 5 terits 2 borders and gives +3.

let's say these are ok but then you have waverley with has just 3 terits 2 borders and gives +3. so less terits, less borders and the same amount of troops.
and on top of that you have warringah who has the same number of terits and borders as paramata but give +4.

and the best one is marickville. 3 terits 3 borders give +5. compare it to canterburry who has 6 terits 5 borders and also gives a +5.

wtf? almost every bonus on this map is wrong. who in the world stamped this for gameplay?

edit// i just looked back and saw others complaining about the bonuses a loooooong time ago and nothing was done.
that's probably why the map has less than 7000 games in 4 years. it's not very nice when your opponent starts with a +5 for 3 terits or when your harder to keep harder to get continent is worth less that your opponent's easy as pie continent.
i honestly will never play this map again solely because of the screwed up bonuses.

Dim before you make a complete fool of yourself. You're only in round 3 and nobody in your game has be allocated anything but standard bonuses for regions yet...go back an re-examine the breakdown you've given for these examples above and also take into consideration that fact that any region with a bus can be attacked by 7 other terrs with a bus which forms part of the attacking borders calculations. This is not a standard classic play map.

As for the number of games, i think it is irrelevant these days when there are so many other maps to choose from and
many players probably like you wouldn't have taken time to examine why the bonus structure is like it is but i know you''ll have a different opinion on that anyway, so i couldn't be bothered wasting my time arguing with you these days. I gave up long ago worrying about who has the most popular maps on the site. If you want to continue to regard that as a benchmark then knock your socks off, i couldn't care less about that.

I can't find the complaints in the thread about the map that you're talking about, perhaps you're looking in the games themselves so i really don't know what you're on about here.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:21 pm

cairnswk wrote:Dim before you make a complete fool of yourself. You're only in round 3 and nobody in your game has be allocated anything but standard bonuses for regions yet...go back an re-examine the breakdown you've given for these examples above and also take into consideration that fact that any region with a bus can be attacked by 7 other terrs with a bus which forms part of the attacking borders calculations. This is not a standard classic play map.

this is the most idiotic thing you've written in a long time cairns.
so what if 7 other territs can attack the bus stations?

look at tribal wars florida. it has continents that can be attacked by 24 other terits and yet they don't have outlandish bonuses like you have.
there are many maps with lots of connections and yet nobody put stupid bonuses and even dared to defend them.
so don't make a fool of yourself cairns.

i've had a situation very similar to yours on my steamworks map where all ports and all balloons connect. the continents i have there have much more connections and yet the bonuses aren't anywhere near yours.
take eastmidlands for example. it has 4 terits and 2 of them are borders. total number of terits that can attack it is 16. and guess what, the bonus including the steam + engine is a total of 3.

compare this to waverley on your sydney map. it has 3 terits, 2 borders and can be attacked by 10 other terits. and it has the same +3 despite being smaller and with far fewer borders.

cairnswk wrote:As for the number of games, i think it is irrelevant these days when there are so many other maps to choose from and
many players probably like you wouldn't have taken time to examine why the bonus structure is like it is but i know you''ll have a different opinion on that anyway, so i couldn't be bothered wasting my time arguing with you these days. I gave up long ago worrying about who has the most popular maps on the site. If you want to continue to regard that as a benchmark then knock your socks off, i couldn't care less about that.

if you know how to make the comparison it's not irrelevant at all. you chose to consider it irrelevant because your maps are rarely popular.
first of all when this map was made there weren't 200 maps to chose from. there were just 91. second you have to compare this map to other similar maps from the same period if you want a more accurate assessment of pupularity. obviously comparing it to a much older/newer map won't give accurate results.
that being said look at high seas map, it has 15k games and it's of a similar size as yours and it was released in the same period.
look at iceland. released the same month as sydney and it has 24k games.
look at supermax released 2 weeks after your map and it has 29k games and it's actually a map that's considered fairly large and complex so not likely to be chosen by a lot of people.
or compare it to one of your other maps released in that same month. treasures of galapagos has 25k games.
so no matter how you look at it the map is clearly an unpopular one.

and yes ofcourse you gave up on trying to make a popular map. anybody would give up after trying and failing 30 times ;)

cairnswk wrote:I can't find the complaints in the thread about the map that you're talking about, perhaps you're looking in the games themselves so i really don't know what you're on about here.

really? viewtopic.php?p=2011494#p2011494

you have made a habit of ignoring or dismissing whatever feedback you don't like. you've even gone as far as ignoring actual concerns from CAs. somehow you're allowed to do this and your maps are even allowed to progress despite obvious graphic or gameplay flaws.

why this is happening i don't know, but it clearly goes hand in hand with your quantity over quality policy.
i can only hope that once you get your 30th and final map medal you'll finally stop this absurd race to get so many maps and start focusing on great gameplay and graphics like you once did a long time ago.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:43 pm

Write as many tirades as you like Dim. To me, from you it's water off a duck's back. Because all you've done since you've been back is complain, complain, complain, complain...and when you don't get a "yes sir three bags full sir, i'll do whatever you want sir" you complain yet again.
I will remind you yet again, you are not the owner of the site, therefore you don't have final say, and i don't have the site owner coming to me and complaing about the maps.
When i hear from lots of players that my maps are consistently bad, then i will do something about it.
Until then, you're only one persons opinion. You can't even have the decency to complete the game you're in before criticising.
So, from me, bugger off. Go start your own site where you can be happy, and lord it over everyone else.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:02 pm

cairnswk wrote:When i hear from lots of players that my maps are consistently bad, then i will do something about it.

well lucky for you hardly anybody is playing your maps so very few people will actually bother to come and complain.

i guess you kinda discovered the recipe for "success". make crappy maps that hardly anybody pays attention to when they're in production. dismiss pertinent feedback whenever you like and put your maps on vacation until people forget what they complained about. and then refuse to make changes cause not many people are complaining. well since few people are playing it's obvious few are complaining.

good job on having a monopoly on the top 20 least played maps. i bet you're proud.

PS: i'm not the only one thinking your maps are becoming poorer and poorer in quality. there are plenty others that think the same but prefer to simply ignore you and your map threads. so i'll bugger off and leave you to your record setting race. as i said before maybe once you get the final medal you'll rethink your ways and finally return to quality instead of quantity.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Iron Maid on Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:38 pm

I really don't know why there is need to argue.

Just looked at the maps you 2 guys made. DiM's Age of Realms maps are very luck involved maps. Maps from cairswk often need really skill to play. Waterloo, Stalingrad & Poison Rome are some maps that our clan loves too play because skill is needed there. I only think Pearl Harbor & Prohibition Chicago often depend on a lucky drop, which is a pity. As for Sydney Metro, I really like to play that map and until now it only happened a few times that there was a lucky drop on the 3 region continents.

A lot of respect for cairnswk for making all those great maps. Keep on doing the good work! =D> =D> =D>
Highest Rank: 60 (Brigadier) Score: 3139 Date: March 26th 2010
Winner of Official 2010 CC World Cup - Singles & Official 200 Maps Tournament
Major Iron Maid
SoC Training Adviser

Previous

Return to The Atlas