Conquer Club

Archipelago [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Archipelago v12 (Pg. 1&19) [I, Gp] - June 17 - New Poll

Postby Mjinga on Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:10 pm

I personally like it lighter, and without a texture. :) We'll see what the poll says.

jiminski, I'm not entirely sure what you meant with the ocean pictures... did you want me to try a reefy teal-blue?
Reputation cleared. :) Never let it be said that Team CC don't investigate fairly.
Although they take bloody forever to do it...
Lieutenant Mjinga

Postby Blitzaholic on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:42 pm

I like the looks of this map a lot, has some simalarities to disc world, but I seem to like this one a little more, and it is nice to have a variety of this style of game, kool idea, i vote yes for it.
General Blitzaholic

Postby jiminski on Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:51 am

Blitzaholic wrote:I like the looks of this map a lot, has some simalarities to disc world, but I seem to like this one a little more, and it is nice to have a variety of this style of game, kool idea, i vote yes for it.

heheh i love it too Blitzy!
Lieutenant jiminski

Postby jiminski on Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:58 am

Mjinga wrote:I personally like it lighter, and without a texture. :) We'll see what the poll says.

jiminski, I'm not entirely sure what you meant with the ocean pictures... did you want me to try a reefy teal-blue?

Sorry Mj i was actually in bed as i posted that! :roll: and it was tough to type.

I think the reason i posted them was to illustrate the way you could still darken the Ocean but have the colour of the beautiful lighter shaded sandy-shallows directly around the Islands.
This would make it more 'Ocean-like' (allowing the Deeper Ocean to be even more of a deep Electric-Blue) and yet the lighter area directly around the Islands would allow the bright Purples and Red colours to still shine through, not being dulled.

just a thought.
Lieutenant jiminski

Postby wcaclimbing on Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:10 am

ZeakCytho wrote:
wcaclimbing wrote:I like oceans 1, 2, and 5. the others are all textured-looking and don't work well with the graphics at all.
All the land is really smooth coloring. the rough style of the water in ocean 3 and 4 would kill the feeling of the map, i think.
I'm just one opinion, though. Listen to what everyone else is saying.

Hmm...I think you mean you like 1, 4, and 5? 2 and 3 are the textured ones. I agree with you, though. I prefer the smoother ones myself. Once the poll finishes, we'll see what's what and post a new version based on that.

Yep, meant 1,4, and 5.
and 2 and 3 are the bad ones. I don't know where I got the numbers in my earlier post from :roll:
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby jiminski on Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:20 am

wcaclimbing wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:
wcaclimbing wrote:I like oceans 1, 2, and 5. the others are all textured-looking and don't work well with the graphics at all.
All the land is really smooth coloring. the rough style of the water in ocean 3 and 4 would kill the feeling of the map, i think.
I'm just one opinion, though. Listen to what everyone else is saying.

Hmm...I think you mean you like 1, 4, and 5? 2 and 3 are the textured ones. I agree with you, though. I prefer the smoother ones myself. Once the poll finishes, we'll see what's what and post a new version based on that.

Yep, meant 1,4, and 5.
and 2 and 3 are the bad ones. I don't know where I got the numbers in my earlier post from :roll:

yeas i agree with that too... perhaps you could heighten the light shading around the islands and make it more defined ..in order to darken the main ocean? (like what i is on about regarding the pictures)
Lieutenant jiminski

Postby ZeakCytho on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:33 am

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Jiminski, the water is lighter near the islands as is. We tried keeping the light part the same shade and darkening the rest, but it looked odd. When the poll ends Thursday, Mjinga and I will use the results to create the next version. We'll probably end up making it similar to the current one, but with a mild texture on it. So far all the posts have been in favor of no-texture.

I had a bunch of free time today so I wrote the XML and centered the coordinates for the large version, since I doubt the army circles will be moved at this point. Here are the results:
Click image to enlarge.

I probably missed a bunch, so if any problems jump out at you guys, say them. I'll go through this with a more fine-tooth comb when we get closer to needing the centered XML, though.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:08 pm

Guys, I voted Bonuses and Ocean 5.
For me, because you have the islands with such a lot of edges and jaggered outlines on those coastlines, i am thinking that i would prefer to see a simple ocean backdrop.
It's looking very good, and I am just waiting on the small version when you can please....after the poll is finished of course. :)
Thanks also for the army shadow version. ;)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:29 pm

Can you use white army circles? The blue armies are a bit hard to read.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby ZeakCytho on Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:39 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:Can you use white army circles? The blue armies are a bit hard to read.

We tried a bunch of different army circle fixes before, but they all looked ugly. Since most people were having trouble with blue on Isris, we just moved the circles onto the ocean and the problem was solved. No one complained about blue on other continents until now. Mjinga and I will post up some of the other army circle versions later and see what's a good balance between legible and good looking.

The poll finishes tomorrow, and all votes are appreciated. We'll put up a poll on the mountains next.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby ZeakCytho on Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:01 pm

Okay, how does this look? We removed the circles altogether :D

I think everything is visible. There's at least one color on each continent corresponding to the continent's color, as well as randomly placed ones. If this works, it saves me a lot of centering trouble :D

Click image to enlarge.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:23 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:Okay, how does this look? We removed the circles altogether :D

I think everything is visible. There's at least one color on each continent corresponding to the continent's color, as well as randomly placed ones. If this works, it saves me a lot of centering trouble :D

Click image to enlarge.

It looks fine to me. I can see all the numbers perfectly.

Have you decided on what mountains or lakes you are going to use as finals yet, or have you made up some new drafts? The matter was in discussion before, but it kind of just dropped after the ocean color was contested.
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby ZeakCytho on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:34 pm

Mr. Squirrel wrote:It looks fine to me. I can see all the numbers perfectly.

Awesome!

Mr. Squirrel wrote:Have you decided on what mountains or lakes you are going to use as finals yet, or have you made up some new drafts? The matter was in discussion before, but it kind of just dropped after the ocean color was contested.

Yeah, we're going to put up a poll on mountain choices when the ocean one ends tomorrow.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby jiminski on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:00 am

ZeakCytho wrote:Thanks for the comments, guys.

Jiminski, the water is lighter near the islands as is. We tried keeping the light part the same shade and darkening the rest, but it looked odd. When the poll ends Thursday, Mjinga and I will use the results to create the next version. We'll probably end up making it similar to the current one, but with a mild texture on it. So far all the posts have been in favor of no-texture.

yeah I realise that there is a 'slight' highlight around the islands.. i was simply saying that you could make the 'highlight' more pronounced and get away with a deeper blue.
As you can see by the pictures, the sandy shallows around many islands, results in this quite defined natural phenomena. (a very light ring of light blue quite often juxtaposed against a very electric blue of the deep ocean.)

...well anyway you know me Zeak.. i like the lighter Ocean Anyway.. I was only looking for a way to keep vibrancy in the Islands and placate the 'Darker blue brigade' ;)
Lieutenant jiminski

Postby Mjinga on Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:00 pm

All right everyone, version 13. The result of the oceans poll was 7 in favour of the current ocean, which outweighed every other category. However, since there were 10 votes for un-textured oceans and 9 votes for textured ones, I’m going to try and go for the middle ground and put a very light texture on it. No one seemed to like a darker ocean (it got one vote) so I’m going to go with the slightly-darker-than-original one from version 12. Also, Legend lost out to Bonuses 8 to 5, so I’ve changed it to Bonuses down by the legend.

Then, in other news, we have another poll. This one is on the mountains, and yes, the mountains are still the same ones from before. The difference is that they’re separate, so if you like a certain style better for one part but not the other, you could vote that way without having to post on it. Oh, and please do vote for one Vienlorre mountain range and one Bishan mountain range.

The purpose behind this poll is to find out what general style of mountains that you folks like—it’s hard on me to keep trying to think of new options when people say, “I dun like it” without clarifying what’s bad and what they would like. So what I’ll do is take the two winners and make a bunch of variants, once I know which one is best-liked as a base.

Poll Options
Vote once in each category, please.

Bishan 1

Bishan 2

Bishan 3

Bishan 4

Bishan 5

Bishan 6

Vienlorre 1

Vienlorre 2

Vienlorre 3

Vienlorre 4

Vienlorre 5

Vienlorre 6

Update:
Version 13 (Large)
Click image to enlarge.

Changes In This Version:
1) Ocean changed
2) “Legend” changed to “Bonuses”
3) Troop dots removed

Points of Discussion:
1) Still the mountains
2) How’s the new ocean?

To Do:
1) Make small version
Reputation cleared. :) Never let it be said that Team CC don't investigate fairly.
Lieutenant Mjinga

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:01 pm

5 for both.

And dont Archipelagos need to have volcanoes?

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:04 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:And dont Archipelagos need to have volcanoes?

No, not necessarily:
Wikipedia wrote:An archipelago is a chain or cluster of islands. The word archipelago literally means "chief sea", from Greek arkhon (arkhi-) ("leader") and pelagos ("sea"). In antiquity, the Archipelago (Greek: Αρχιπέλαγος) was the proper name for the Aegean Sea and, later, usage shifted to refer to the Aegean Islands (since the sea is remarkable for its large number of islands). It is now used to generally refer to any island group or, sometimes, to a sea containing a large number of scattered islands like the Aegean Sea.

We're going to post version 13 in about fifteen minutes, guys. And along with that, the mountains poll.
Captain ZeakCytho

Re: Archipelago v12 (Pg. 1&21) [I, Gp] - June 29 - New Poll

Postby Mjinga on Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:08 pm

Actually, I already did. :) The poll just didn't go up yet at that time.
Lieutenant Mjinga

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:08 pm

It doesnt let me vote!

Postby Mjinga on Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:14 pm

It does now. :) The date was set wrong before. Upps!
Lieutenant Mjinga

Postby jiminski on Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:49 pm

I like the inland lake (Bisham 6.. my second vote would be 5 if we had to have a mountain)
Vienlorre 5 looks nice to me!

Good work and i like the compromise you made with the Ocean.
Lieutenant jiminski

Postby Mjinga on Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:49 pm

Yay, sweet! 6 and 5 are what I like best. :)

Also, the 88's version.
Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant Mjinga

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:42 pm

I actually think that Vienlorre 5 is the worst of all. :| I voted for Vienlorre 1 and bishan 2. I liked the old classic mountains that this map started out with. Unfortunately, I seem to be losing to the rest of the CC population. :(
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby snapdoodle on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:02 am

ven 5 seems to be winning. I also think it looks the best for this map. but it also looks like it's floating above the island? anyone else see that?
Captain snapdoodle

Postby pamoa on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:13 am

Kaplowitz wrote:And dont Archipelagos need to have volcanoes?

They do not need, but could be cool for bishan !?!
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas