Conquer Club

Archipelago [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Archipelago v12 (Pg. 1&21) [I, Gp] - June 29 - New Poll

Postby ZeakCytho on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:40 am

snapdoodle wrote:ven 5 seems to be winning. I also think it looks the best for this map. but it also looks like it's floating above the island? anyone else see that?

Yeah, it kind of does. If that wins, which it probably will, Mjinga will work on blending it into the island better.

pamoa wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote:And dont Archipelagos need to have volcanoes?

They do not need, but could be cool for bishan !?!

We had a volcano there originally, back in version 1, but it looked hideous and really served no function.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Mjinga on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:55 am

Well, theoretically, a volcano as an obstacle is no different than a mountain; a volcano is just a mountain with a bit of... personality. I'll have a go at making one out of whichever mountain wins, see what it looks like, pamoa. :)

And there will be some versions of whichever mountain wins, based off of what I can glean from peeps' comments after it does. I'll try and fix the float in them.
Reputation cleared. :) Never let it be said that Team CC don't investigate fairly.
Although they take bloody forever to do it...
Lieutenant Mjinga

Postby snapdoodle on Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:06 pm

I thought you guys were going for a volcano decay? Did that get abandon at some point?
Captain snapdoodle

Postby ZeakCytho on Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:10 pm

snapdoodle wrote:I thought you guys were going for a volcano decay? Did that get abandon at some point?

Yeah. It would have required new XML tags to be approved, which seemed more trouble than it was worth. No one was really that hot on it, so we dropped it.
Captain ZeakCytho

Re: Archipelago v12 (Pg. 1&21) [I, Gp] - 6/29 - Mountains Poll

Postby jiminski on Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:07 am

you could put a small mountain inside the Lake in Bisham; joining it only to the outcrop of Synkor.
just a thought.

sorry to be presumptuous but i really like the Lake ;)

I realise they are rough and ugly but it is just as an idea.
Click image to enlarge.

Volcano (i promise it is, look hard.. it really is)
Click image to enlarge.
Captain jiminski

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:36 pm

That second one looks kind of like an eye! I think I saw it blink :?

:lol:

Any more votes, guys? The poll runs for a long time still, but voting seems to have tapered off.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby jiminski on Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:38 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:That second one looks kind of like an eye! I think I saw it blink :?

:lol:

hah! you are right.. i think I made a crap mount doom by mistake!
Captain jiminski

Postby ZeakCytho on Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:01 pm

Votes votes votes votes votes...

This is a not-so-disguised bump ;)

Out of curiosity, any thoughts on the army circles vs. no army circles?
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Mjinga on Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:07 pm

I'm all for Troop Dots!
Reputation cleared. :) Never let it be said that Team CC don't investigate fairly.
Lieutenant Mjinga

Postby Joodoo on Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:13 pm

very nice map, can't really see how it could be improved...
Lieutenant Joodoo

Postby pamoa on Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:49 am

ZeakCytho wrote:Out of curiosity, any thoughts on the army circles vs. no army circles?

The problem with map with army circle is when you have 10 or more armies and the color code before (ie g36) it is larger than the circle, worse above 100!
So it's why I tend to prefer map without. But you have to try it with armies (including color code) on the map.
De gueules Ć  la tour d'argent ouverte, crĆ©nelĆ©e de trois piĆØces, sommĆ©e d'un donjon ajourĆ©, crĆ©nelĆ© de deux piĆØces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby jiminski on Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:15 am

well i am not qualified to talk about circles and so forth (though i think it needs army-circles .. no?) .. so this is a vaguely meandering bump with no purpose other than i miss looking in on this and seeing new and interesting posts.
Captain jiminski

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:58 pm

Joodoo wrote:very nice map, can't really see how it could be improved...

pamoa wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:Out of curiosity, any thoughts on the army circles vs. no army circles?

The problem with map with army circle is when you have 10 or more armies and the color code before (ie g36) it is larger than the circle, worse above 100!
So it's why I tend to prefer map without. But you have to try it with armies (including color code) on the map.

Yeah, circles can be a pain that way. The reason they would be there is that it looks kind of nice to have a circle for 2-digit armies, but they're annoying for 3+ digit armies, a pain to center, and make blue armies hard to read (that's the biggest issue). Mjinga will put together a comparison of the map with 2-digit armies with and without circles for visibility issues.

jiminski wrote:well i am not qualified to talk about circles and so forth (though i think it needs army-circles .. no?) .. so this is a vaguely meandering bump with no purpose other than i miss looking in on this and seeing new and interesting posts.

It doesn't necessarily need circles. They're mostly used when the map has lots of colors or textures that make it hard to read the armies on, which isn't really the case here. In fact, it's harder to read the armies (especially blue ones) with circles than without.

The mountains poll is gonna wrap up tomorrow...Mjinga will post up some mountains (or, as the poll seems to be currently leaning, lake/river) options based on the winners.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby jiminski on Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:27 am

ZeakCytho wrote:
jiminski wrote:well i am not qualified to talk about circles and so forth (though i think it needs army-circles .. no?) .. ....

It doesn't necessarily need circles. They're mostly used when the map has lots of colors or textures that make it hard to read the armies on, which isn't really the case here. In fact, it's harder to read the armies (especially blue ones) with circles than without.
..... .

could you not make them Army oblongs? (room for 3 digits and then rounded at each end) or would that spoil the map....
Captain jiminski

Postby Mjinga on Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:15 pm

You know, I could; I hadn't thought of that. :) I will give it a try.
Lieutenant Mjinga

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:19 pm

Okay guys, based on the results of the last poll we have a new poll. More mountains for Bishan and Vienlorre. Also, there's a choice of what to do about army circles.

Poll options
Vote Once in each Category
Bishan Mountains

Vienlorre Mountains

Army Circles (animated)
Click image to enlarge.
Captain ZeakCytho

Re: Archipelago v12 (Pg. 1&21) [I, Gp] - New Poll - 7/06

Postby yeti_c on Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:08 am

Not sure you need army circles - Dark ones definitely don't work though.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby jiminski on Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:11 am

i think the oval (room for 3 digits), light army circle looks absolutely great! better than i imagined in fact. (dark does not work as yeti says.)

I like the less bold mountains.. i think they are more easy on the eye somehow.

I went for the lake again (though i reckon a mountain in the lake would be the perfect option ;) )

In passing ..nice trick getting the circles to alternate between every new option ... any way you could get all voting options to do the same on the full map?
Captain jiminski

Postby jiminski on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:42 am

The vote looks like no circles so far (not that i agree.. but it is not a big issue for me, it looks good either way except the dark circles.) but do we know if the colourblind can see the blue against the dark green for example? (this was why we had all the crap with the Classic update .. if anyone can recall ;) )
Captain jiminski

Postby t-o-m on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:44 am

the bishan mountin with smoke :D
and the 2nd vienmore moutnain :D
Major t-o-m

Postby Mjinga on Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:47 pm

jiminski, I could do it for next time, if there is one. :) Too lazy to redo it now. As for the colour-blindness issue... well, there are the colour codes if push came to shove, but also, ZeakCytho is partially colour-blind. He didn't have trouble with them, but then again, I forget which colours it is he has trouble seeing the difference between. It might not be green and blue.
Lieutenant Mjinga

Postby jiminski on Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:05 pm

Mjinga wrote:jiminski, I could do it for next time, if there is one. :) Too lazy to redo it now. As for the colour-blindness issue... well, there are the colour codes if push came to shove, but also, ZeakCytho is partially colour-blind. He didn't have trouble with them, but then again, I forget which colours it is he has trouble seeing the difference between. It might not be green and blue.

cool, it looks nice with no circles too anyway!
Captain jiminski

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:43 pm

I really hope the volcano gets implemented. The lake reminds me of a cheerio. :lol:
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby jiminski on Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:48 am

Mr. Squirrel wrote:I really hope the volcano gets implemented. The lake reminds me of a cheerio. :lol:

heheh (volcano in a Lake that looks like a Mexican hat.. much better than a Cheerio ;) )
Captain jiminski

Postby pepperonibread on Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:25 pm

I don't think the oval circles are going to help, just because of how the xml engine places the army numbers.Take these XML tests for the USSR map:

Notice how in the second image, the first two digits are centered, but the third one slides off the edge. The site will only center the first two digits, any others are pushed to the right. If you try and make the XML so the triple digits are centered, the double digits won't be. Just making sure you know, as this sometimes gets confusing when you start making the XML :)
Corporal pepperonibread

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas