Conquer Club

San Marino [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Repubblica di San Marino - Map on page 1 - Updated 22.04.08

Postby RjBeals on Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:04 am

Are you going to work on the outer border - so it's not so pixelated / jagged?
I see a strange horizontal line at the very top of this map? It could be where you applied a bevel or some sort of blend that effected the map edge. You should always work on a canvas size bigger than your final image size to avoid such things.
Can you work on your san marino emblem? Maybe make it look like a coin? Everything else has drop shadow but that.

Click image to enlarge.
Private RjBeals

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:30 am

RjBeals wrote:Are you going to work on the outer border - so it's not so pixelated / jagged?
I see a strange horizontal line at the very top of this map? It could be where you applied a bevel or some sort of blend that effected the map edge. You should always work on a canvas size bigger than your final image size to avoid such things.
Can you work on your san marino emblem? Maybe make it look like a coin? Everything else has drop shadow but that.

Yes I can work on those graphic issues but I was focusing on the gameplay issues right now.

The outer line is next in line. When you say emblem...are you referring to the flag? The coin is in the lower right corner.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby RjBeals on Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:35 am

Yes the coin is what i meant.

You don't want my comments on gameplay. ;)
Private RjBeals

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:03 am

RjBeals wrote:Yes the coin is what i meant.

You don't want my comments on gameplay. ;)

The coin. Ah. I'll see if it can be tweaked although I don't mind it as it is.

Yes, of course I want your comments about gameplay, although the way that sounded seems like it's going to be negative comments. Hehe. :) Did I ever tell you I have a heart condition? :p
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby RjBeals on Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:12 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:Yes, of course I want your comments about gameplay...

You sure about that?

:D
Private RjBeals

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:32 am

RjBeals wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:Yes, of course I want your comments about gameplay...

You sure about that?

:D

Haha. I didn't get that one at first.

Can I rub it in and say that my avatar is also nicer than yours? :p

Anyway thanks for your comments on the graphics. I will be working on those soon.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Re: Repubblica di San Marino - Map on page 1

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:52 am

Okay here is the latest update.

I refined the outer border as suggested by RJ Beals and I optimised the placement of some of the army circles / territory names.

Click image to enlarge.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:02 am

Ruben...is there some secret to accessing your images....i can only see dots to enlarge in Firefox.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:06 pm

cairnswk wrote:Ruben...is there some secret to accessing your images....i can only see dots to enlarge in Firefox.

What do you mean? They are visible over here and no complained before.

Hmm...don't know how to help you on this one! I use Firefox as well.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:10 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
cairnswk wrote:Ruben...is there some secret to accessing your images....i can only see dots to enlarge in Firefox.

Hmmm...i can't see them in IE7 either....they come up as missing images with the red cress.
Strange because i can see everyone's avatars and stuff in posts, but can't see you maps or click on the images.
Private cairnswk

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:14 pm

I have the same problem. If you right click on the small thing that marks where the image goes and select "View image," you can make it appear in this tab. If you right click that and select "copy image location" and paste that into a new tab, you'll get the image there. Neither option is great, but those are the two ways I've discovered of getting around this weirdness.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:42 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:I have the same problem. If you right click on the small thing that marks where the image goes and select "View image," you can make it appear in this tab. If you right click that and select "copy image location" and paste that into a new tab, you'll get the image there. Neither option is great, but those are the two ways I've discovered of getting around this weirdness.

Even doing that, i still can't get it.
Private cairnswk

Postby TaCktiX on Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:47 pm

Mine shows up fine, and I'm leaving some comments!

- The background is great. Very good change there, and it's appropriate to the area
- The external border on the continent has improved greatly, though I would suggest playing with the color of the border until you've found one that works well for everyone (read: new poll!)
- "9 Torri" in the bonus area seems to make me think at first "so there are more and I don't get points for them?" I suggest changing that to "all Torri" or some-such
- What are the continent names? The territory with the Torri in it? This isn't explained anywhere, and may confuse play on the map ("yeah, I went first for the light blue continent in the bottom of the map, and expanded from there")
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:46 pm

cairnswk wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:I have the same problem. If you right click on the small thing that marks where the image goes and select "View image," you can make it appear in this tab. If you right click that and select "copy image location" and paste that into a new tab, you'll get the image there. Neither option is great, but those are the two ways I've discovered of getting around this weirdness.

Maybe the problem is with the site I am using to host my images?

You recommend some other site to host the images which might solve the problem?
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:48 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Maybe the problem is with the site I am using to host my images?

You recommend some other site to host the images which might solve the problem?

I've always used photobucket for my images, but it runs kind of slowly sometimes.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby gimil on Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:56 pm

Ruben heres a few issues that I have:

1. Im less than happy with the new background image you have. I personally prefered the older one but heyeach to their own ;)

2. Continent boarders are pretty rought around hte map. I see alot of areas where colors and outwith their lines.

3. The three tower image your using for cities I dont like to much either they seem to cartoony for me. But im not going to fuss over it.

4. Impassables arent to great either. The rivers could probably be made more fitting and the mountains looks good but could be placed more neatly.

5. Around the map is alot of waste space that I feel could be better accomodated. Heres my suggestion, move the ciy bonus part of the legend down to the bottom left and extend the current continents bonus legends to inlcude names like portugals mini map does.

Overall thou your map is moving in the right direction ruben and like I said before I love your style. Very retro.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby edbeard on Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:53 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:

that's not true. I made this comment and no one responded.

since a few others appear to have the same problem, maybe try using photobucket or imageshack. thanks in advance!
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:55 pm

edbeard wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:

that's not true. I made this comment and no one responded.

since a few others appear to have the same problem, maybe try using photobucket or imageshack. thanks in advance!

Ok I must have missed your comment, or at that time I thought it was a problem from your end.

I will be using one of those two in the future. Thanks for pointing this problem out to me.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:59 pm

gimil wrote:Ruben heres a few issues that I have:

1. Im less than happy with the new background image you have. I personally prefered the older one but heyeach to their own ;)

2. Continent boarders are pretty rought around hte map. I see alot of areas where colors and outwith their lines.

3. The three tower image your using for cities I dont like to much either they seem to cartoony for me. But im not going to fuss over it.

4. Impassables arent to great either. The rivers could probably be made more fitting and the mountains looks good but could be placed more neatly.

5. Around the map is alot of waste space that I feel could be better accomodated. Heres my suggestion, move the ciy bonus part of the legend down to the bottom left and extend the current continents bonus legends to inlcude names like portugals mini map does.

Overall thou your map is moving in the right direction ruben and like I said before I love your style. Very retro.

Thanks for your input Gimil. I will try to address some of these issues in the coming days, mainly the impassable objects and that space thing.

I am not too sure about adding the name of the regions though. There are 9 of them and that's quite a lot. The information is not so useful since the names of the regions are the same of the region capitals (the ones that have a tower).
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:16 pm

TaCktiX wrote:Mine shows up fine, and I'm leaving some comments!

- The background is great. Very good change there, and it's appropriate to the area
- The external border on the continent has improved greatly, though I would suggest playing with the color of the border until you've found one that works well for everyone (read: new poll!)
- "9 Torri" in the bonus area seems to make me think at first "so there are more and I don't get points for them?" I suggest changing that to "all Torri" or some-such
- What are the continent names? The territory with the Torri in it? This isn't explained anywhere, and may confuse play on the map ("yeah, I went first for the light blue continent in the bottom of the map, and expanded from there")

Sorry had missed this comment.

Yes, I will say somewhere that the names of the regions (continents but I hate to use that word since it's so inaccurate!) are the same as the capital regions if need be. I still have to think a bit about this.

About the towers (torri). I'll see what I can do because I wanted to keep the legend in Italian, the language used in San Marino. All Towers would be Tutte le Torri and that might be confusing. I'll think about something though.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby edbeard on Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:18 pm

agreed with gimil that the colours tend to overlap around continent borders

I question the two territory +2 continent. especially when right next to it there's a four territory +3 where all four territories act as borders

I think it's a +1
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:22 pm

I think the "9 Torri" is apparent enough as is and doesn't need to be changed, especially if the Italian is to be perserved like Ruben pointed out. Changing it to Tutte le Torri would just confuse most people.

I also don't like the graphic being used for the Torri very much. I understand why you're using it, but I don't think it looks very good.

To deal with some of the dead space that Gimil pointed out, maybe you could put a minimap showing the location of San Marino in relation to the rest of Italy/Southern Europe? Just a thought.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:25 am

edbeard wrote:agreed with gimil that the colours tend to overlap around continent borders

I question the two territory +2 continent. especially when right next to it there's a four territory +3 where all four territories act as borders

I think it's a +1

Ok I put a poll about that region.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Re: Repubblica di San Marino - Vote in poll - Map on page 1

Postby Balsiefen on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:39 am

Definatly +1, i would also say that a continent with 3 territs and 1 boarder should also only be a +1

Also you should get continent names up, so we know what we're talking about.
Sergeant 1st Class Balsiefen

Location: The Ford of the Aldar in the East of the Kingdom of Lindissi

Re: Repubblica di San Marino - Vote in poll - Map on page 1

Postby Ogrecrusher on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:51 am

Balsiefen wrote:Definatly +1, i would also say that a continent with 3 territs and 1 boarder should also only be a +1

Also you should get continent names up, so we know what we're talking about.

Agreed.
Colonel Ogrecrusher

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas