Halloween Hollows [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Halloween Hollows [Quenched]

Postby cairnswk on Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:31 pm

barterer2002 wrote:
MrBenn wrote:
barterer2002 wrote:Oh, it went live already. I was looking for it in the Beta area. How come it doesn't get a beta trial?

Probably because of the Unlimited Speed games thing...

Oh, maps go live after a certain number of games are played on them? I didn't realize that was the criteria. Interesting to know.

Barterer2002....no they go into the live section after all the challenges/problems/issues have been sorted out with them in the beta stage, there is no criteria for a certain number of games to be played on them as i understand it.
Corporal cairnswk

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby MrBenn on Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:41 pm

The decision to skip the beta stage was probably a publicity decision more than anything else...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 65
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (6)
Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby SeiferJ on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:47 am

whats the deal with the sculls and spines??
Private SeiferJ

Postby cairnswk on Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:58 am

SeiferJ wrote:whats the deal with the sculls and spines??

please explain ??
Corporal cairnswk

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby laci_mae on Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:29 pm

Hey Cairns,

I do love this map. I'm in the quads tourney, and was in the 1v1 for a short while. Anyway, I know there was lots of discussion about the neutrals for Spidey. I'm not sure we've hit the right solution yet. I have not seen Spidey taken in any of the games I've played in. Perhaps that should be lowered a bit to draw in some game play.

I wouldn't want those changes until the quads tourney is over b/c it's one of those everyone plays everyone styles. If the map strategy were to change midstream it would be quite unfair to some.

Perhaps it's something to consider if you're truly making a Christmas map with a similar layout.

Best,
Laci
Corporal 1st Class laci_mae

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby laci_mae on Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:30 pm

cairnswk wrote:
SeiferJ wrote:whats the deal with the sculls and spines??

please explain ??

These symbols are explained in the legend in the bottom center of the map. Wicked the Witch can attack the skulls, and the Salem Cross territories can attack Wicked.

Hope this helps.
Laci
Corporal 1st Class laci_mae

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1)

Postby cairnswk on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:13 am

laci_mae wrote:Hey Cairns,

I do love this map. I'm in the quads tourney, and was in the 1v1 for a short while. Anyway, I know there was lots of discussion about the neutrals for Spidey. I'm not sure we've hit the right solution yet. I have not seen Spidey taken in any of the games I've played in. Perhaps that should be lowered a bit to draw in some game play.

I wouldn't want those changes until the quads tourney is over b/c it's one of those everyone plays everyone styles. If the map strategy were to change midstream it would be quite unfair to some.

Perhaps it's something to consider if you're truly making a Christmas map with a similar layout.

Best,
Laci

Yes, thanks laci_mae, i have watched as this spider tert also fails to get taken in several games that i was in.
This also happens on ToG with the luggers...they are never used.
So i am considering lowering them also.
Corporal cairnswk

Postby Lupo on Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:27 am

I played 8 games on this map:

-> Casual Game 3566999 - Standard - Sequential - Escalating - Chained - No Fog of War - BlackWidow Roost NOT conquered

-> Casual Game 3568065 - Standard - Sequential - Escalating - Chained - No Fog of War - BlackWidow Roost NOT conquered

-> Casual Game 3568070 - Standard - Sequential - Escalating - Chained - No Fog of War - BlackWidow Roost conquered

-> Speed Game 3573656 - Standard - Sequential - Escalating - Chained - No Fog of War - BlackWidow Roost NOT conquered

-> Casual Game 3576977 - Standard - Sequential - No Spoils - Chained - No Fog of War - BlackWidow Roost conquered

-> Casual Game 3577261 - Assassin - Sequential - Escalating - Chained - No Fog of War - BlackWidow Roost NOT conquered

-> Casual Game 3577262 - Assassin - Sequential - Escalating - Chained - No Fog of War - BlackWidow Roost NOT conquered

-> Casual Game 3577677 - Standard - Sequential - No Spoils - Adjacent - Yes Fog of War -> BlackWidow Roost conquered

So my personal stats about BlackWidow Roost neutral region are: 3/8 games conquered and 5/8 games not conquered.

PS: If you wish to enjoy watching a game on this map, you're welcomed to Game 3576977!
"Nature is a temple in which living pillars
Sometimes emit confused words;
Man crosses it through forests of symbols
That observe him with familiar glances."
Sergeant 1st Class Lupo

Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)

Re: Halloween Hollows [Quenched] - couple of points

Postby mbs on Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:34 pm

Not sure if anyone has brought these up, but I felt like chucking in my 2 cents on a couple of points:

1. I feel the instructions on the map are not 100% clear. Specifically, is the Witch a bombard territory, or can it fortify into skulls? Likewise, are the crosses bombard territories (vs witch) or can they fortify to witch?

2. The outer web territories should somehow be differently colored (maybe a bit more grey to match web and/or 'webby' looking) to indicate they are part of the spider's domain.
Sergeant 1st Class mbs

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby admiralnelson on Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:01 am

I too think that it's not clear what the different symbols mean.
"you may hold an item (the Salem Cross) that the witch cannot stand" implies to me that by holding that item, you will prevent the witch from attacking any of your skull territories.

Also, does the spider have to be held in order to get the region bonuses? Not clear.

Other than that, I do think it's a fun map.
Corporal 1st Class admiralnelson

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:23 pm

admiralnelson wrote:I too think that it's not clear what the different symbols mean.
"you may hold an item (the Salem Cross) that the witch cannot stand" implies to me that by holding that item, you will prevent the witch from attacking any of your skull territories.

Also, does the spider have to be held in order to get the region bonuses? Not clear.

Other than that, I do think it's a fun map.

You have misread that phrase, it says
"you may hold an item (the Salem Cross) that the witch cannot withstand"
This states that you may hold an item that is dangerous to the witch.

Because of the nature of this map, it is written in a kind of riddle that is not too difficult to understand. :)
Corporal cairnswk

Re: Halloween Hollows [Quenched] - couple of points

Postby cairnswk on Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:27 pm

mbs wrote:Not sure if anyone has brought these up, but I felt like chucking in my 2 cents on a couple of points:

1. I feel the instructions on the map are not 100% clear. Specifically, is the Witch a bombard territory, or can it fortify into skulls? Likewise, are the crosses bombard territories (vs witch) or can they fortify to witch?

2. The outer web territories should somehow be differently colored (maybe a bit more grey to match web and/or 'webby' looking) to indicate they are part of the spider's domain.

Sorry that it has taken so long to answer this...
No the witch is a normal territory that can assault and be assaulted, and therefore has normal forts around the map to territories that it borders. There is no mention on the map that the witch has bombard capabilities.
6 months and no follow-up to the colour scheme... tells me that somehow no one else is concerned. :)
Corporal cairnswk

Postby admiralnelson on Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:53 pm

Ok, thanks for clarifying.
Corporal 1st Class admiralnelson

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Joodoo on Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:50 am

I have 3 questions about the territory borders.
1.Does the Tombstone Terrace border the church and all of the tombstones?
2.Do the tombstones and church border each other (ex.the church can attack all tombstones) or only it's adjacent territories?
3.Is "Witch's Castle" the only territory that borders Wicked the Witch?
TheSaxlad wrote:The Dice suck a lot of the time.

And if they dont suck then they blow.

:D
Lieutenant Joodoo

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Postby cairnswk on Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:07 pm

Joodoo wrote:I have 3 questions about the territory borders.
1.Does the Tombstone Terrace border the church and all of the tombstones?
2.Do the tombstones and church border each other (ex.the church can attack all tombstones) or only it's adjacent territories?
3.Is "Witch's Castle" the only territory that borders Wicked the Witch?

1. yes
2. No, but read the riddle
3. no, wicked the witch is the moon territory, therefore it also borders tombstone terrace.
Corporal cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas