Conquer Club

France 1789

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: FRANCE 18th century [I,Gp] v15

Postby pamoa on Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:06 am

Again I'm not going to make river disappear just when I don't need it as border.

At that point I see 3 possibilities:
    fading rivers so the double border line is more proeminent
    putting a lot more bridges and making river all impassable
    removing rivers as impassable and making them mere decoration
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby yeti_c on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:48 am

pamoa wrote:Again I'm not going to make river disappear just when I don't need it as border.

Can we see some examples.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:11 pm

pamoa wrote:Again I'm not going to make river disappear just when I don't need it as border.

Pamoa I think you have talent but sometimes you're way too stubborn mate. I guess that's why it's always the same two or three people commenting in this thread.

And how do you plan on making all rivers impassables if some of them pass through a single territory and do not act as a border?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby pamoa on Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:37 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:...stubborn mate...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: IF YOU ARE HERE TO INSULT ME GO AWAY :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

btw how did you managed to make nicosia territoriy across an impassable border if you are able to work on it again
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:13 pm

pamoa wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:...stubborn mate...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: IF YOU ARE HERE TO INSULT ME GO AWAY :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

btw how did you managed to make nicosia territoriy across an impassable border if you are able to work on it again

Do you really want to discuss my map in your thread? I haven't done any updates on it for ages so I don't know what you're referring to. If you have some constructive comments to make you can post in the Cyprus thread. I don't want to hijack your thread even if you're inviting me. :)

Also I cannot go away from this thread. Unless you have not noticed I am the graphics stamp licker for this map. I have been trying to give you constructive comments since page 1. Check the whole thread and you'll see that I'm the person that has left the most comments in your thread. However you seem to think that I am antagonising you. That you are stubborn is a fact, but I also said you have talent so I wouldn't consider that post an insult. ;)

Anyway I'll wait for your next update and see how you'll tackle this river issue before making any other comments for the time being. Good luck.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby pamoa on Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:55 pm

v16 rivers more transparent, bg more yellowish
Click image to enlarge.
Cadet pamoa

Postby yeti_c on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:14 am

That works for me.

Pamoa - is Paris going to start Neutral?

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby pamoa on Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:06 am

Yes , with 4 armies, as it is a +1 bonus on it's own.
Last edited by pamoa on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cadet pamoa

Postby yeti_c on Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:01 am

1 small query - the channel islands appear to be part of France in this map?!

Are they not english? (or where they french at this time period?)

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby pamoa on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:59 am

You are right they are not french, neither part of the United Kingdom but British Crown dependencies since 1066 when William became King of England. It is the last bit of the Duchy of Normandy since the 10th century and Queen Elizabeth II is often referred to by her traditional and conventional title of Duke of Normandy.
So they will go white on the map.
Last edited by pamoa on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cadet pamoa

Postby yeti_c on Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:11 am

pamoa wrote:You are right they are not french, neither part of the United Kingdom but British Crown dependencies since 1066 when William became King of England. It is the last bit of the Duchy of Normandy since the 10th century and Queen Elizabeth II is often referred to by her traditional and conventional title of Duke of Normandy.
So they will go white on the map.

Sounds about right to me!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby pamoa on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:52 am

qwert wrote:names for country
    yellow- centre
    green- Pays de la Loire
    Blue- Pays du Nord
    red- Alsace-Loraine
    pink- Bassin de la Garonne
light blue- Rhones-Alpes

I'll try to find a place to put some names but the one you suggested are not very adequate
    Pays de la Loire is the upper part of yellow and sout-east of green
    Alsace-Lorraine are 2 territs of red and it's a name comming from 1870 war
    Rhône-Alpes is a 1980 name invented for the creation of the new region administration
    Also the naming of regions after a river name is an invetion of the revolution, the day after this map...
What do you think you this

v17
Click image to enlarge.
Cadet pamoa

Re: FRANCE 18th century [I,Gp] v17 12sep2008

Postby TaCktiX on Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:04 am

The subtle continent names are a good attempt, but due to the myriad of terrain features are really difficult to read and end up muddling the map (though that's not intended). Instead of big wide semi-transparent names, what about smaller but more distinctive continent names?
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby The Neon Peon on Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:11 pm

I really do not like having a blue river convert to a gray river, then back again to blue. could you simply make the entire river blue, but make it really thin, but still use bridges? Possibly have it thicken slightly where you have a bridge.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby yeti_c on Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:35 pm

The Neon Peon wrote:I really do not like having a blue river convert to a gray river, then back again to blue. could you simply make the entire river blue, but make it really thin, but still use bridges? Possibly have it thicken slightly where you have a bridge.

I have to say I'm going to disagree with this - there has been a lot of discussion on this - and what we have now is the best of it... and I think the effect is really good.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby MrBenn on Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:02 pm

I like the rivers as they currently are - bridges in the middle of a territory get too confusing - the solution here is an excellent one.

Is it just me, or does the map seem to be too wide? I'm sure you could cut off 50-100 pixels from the left-hand-side of the map without impacting on the playable area at all?? You'd probably need to move the compass/minimap/ship, but I don't think that's a big issue??
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby pamoa on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:36 am

TaCktiX wrote:The subtle continent names are a good attempt, but due to the myriad of terrain features are really difficult to read and end up muddling the map (though that's not intended). Instead of big wide semi-transparent names, what about smaller but more distinctive continent names?

I'll try something else
The Neon Peon wrote:I really do not like having a blue river convert to a gray river, then back again to blue. could you simply make the entire river blue, but make it really thin, but still use bridges? Possibly have it thicken slightly where you have a bridge.

yeti_c wrote:I have to say I'm going to disagree with this - there has been a lot of discussion on this - and what we have now is the best of it... and I think the effect is really good.

MrBenn wrote:I like the rivers as they currently are - bridges in the middle of a territory get too confusing - the solution here is an excellent one.

This river stuff could last for ages and I know I will read comments about it even when it will be online, if it never goes.
But as it seems that at least some people are satisfied with it and as I think it is perfectly understandable for an average intelligent person, it will remain as it is.

MrBenn wrote:Is it just me, or does the map seem to be too wide? I'm sure you could cut off 50-100 pixels from the left-hand-side of the map without impacting on the playable area at all?? You'd probably need to move the compass/minimap/ship, but I don't think that's a big issue??

The map is 600x800 which is less than the 800x840 authorised. I don't see any benefits in having a narrower, crowded map.
Cadet pamoa

Postby gimil on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:21 am

MrBenn wrote:Is it just me, or does the map seem to be too wide? I'm sure you could cut off 50-100 pixels from the left-hand-side of the map without impacting on the playable area at all?? You'd probably need to move the compass/minimap/ship, but I don't think that's a big issue??

Benn I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. I think the map is nicly presented without any space being left unutilised. He probably could reduce the size but I don't think their is a real need for it.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby RjBeals on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:09 am

Click image to enlarge.

pamoa - I don't think I've really commented on this map yet, but it's outstanding. You have nice control over photoshop ;). I don't have time right now to read back through the posts, but I'll comment on what I see right now.

* color choices are great. Your mountain range is great. It fits into the map perfectly.
* Your fonts are nice also. The whole map style you've nailed down.
* I think when I look at this map, I don't like the glow in the water. Maybe there's just too much white in general. If I remember correctly, the glow was a big discussion point a while ago. So much so, that you took a break from development. I don't want that to happen - but I personally would prefer less glow, less white, and more solid color.
* your map is not too wide.

I guess that's it really. It's one of the best maps in development right now. Well Done!
Private RjBeals

Postby pamoa on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:49 am

RjBeals wrote:I think when I look at this map, I don't like the glow in the water. Maybe there's just too much white in general. If I remember correctly, the glow was a big discussion point a while ago. So much so, that you took a break from development. I don't want that to happen - but I personally would prefer less glow, less white, and more solid color.

Thanks for commenting. This map started as white based Ireland-like map. At the start see was even less strong. So what you see is, I think, a good compromise.
For info you can watch this precedent versions v13 / v09 / v02 / v01
Cadet pamoa

Re: FRANCE 18th century [I,Gp] v18 1oct2008

Postby pamoa on Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:16 am

v18 new features: regions font
Click image to enlarge.
Cadet pamoa

Postby Ogrecrusher on Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:01 am

This map is already miles better than the existing France map, what's holding it up?
Colonel Ogrecrusher

Postby MrBenn on Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:36 pm

I stand corrected on the spacing thing :oops:

I can't see anything else to change... apart from perhaps making the blue of the sea very slightly paler...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby pamoa on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:22 pm

v19 new features: sea color, small map
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
Cadet pamoa

Re: FRANCE 18th century [I,Gp] v19 13oct2008

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:27 am

As someone already mentioned the regions' names are barely legible.

Maybe adding a dark outline (stroke) to the text could help...but it could also be a bad idea as it might create even more confusion. Either way I suggest you try to do something about the regions' names legibility.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas