Conquer Club

USA Map Pack [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: USA Map Pack [Quenched]

Postby djawshua on Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:05 am

WidowMakers wrote:
djawshua wrote:The location you have for Rutland is really Bennington, and Rutland is really where you have marked Montpelier, finaly Burlington is on the VT and NY border, right on Lake Champlain.

What if we change:
Rutland to Bennington
and
Burlington to Newport

This sounds like the easiest solution for accuracy. While you do have the three largest/ best known towns included now (gj btw) I think changing the names to better suit their locations would be an easier solution then redrawing the map :) Very impressed that you keep up with all of the discussions/criticisms.
Also the state fish for New Hampshire is correct and that pesrson needs to check their geography, New Hampshire is not land locked, and even if it was the state fish would still be apropriate. These maps are looking great, keep up the good work.
Lieutenant djawshua

Postby iancanton on Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:21 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
djawshua wrote:The location you have for Rutland is really Bennington, and Rutland is really where you have marked Montpelier, finaly Burlington is on the VT and NY border, right on Lake Champlain.

What if we change:
Rutland to Bennington
and
Burlington to Newport

u canā€™t remove burlington from vermont: itā€™s the only place of which most non-natives have heard since, not only has it the state's only airport of any size, but it's also where the first ben & jerryā€™s opened.

http://www.benjerry.com/our_company/abo ... benbio.cfm

just move the city to the top left corner of the state, then adjust the highways accordingly.

rutland being replaced by bennington is a reasonable change, since neither is especially well-known.

ian. :)
Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:10 pm

iancanton wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:

What if we change:
Rutland to Bennington
and
Burlington to Newport

u canā€™t remove burlington from vermont: itā€™s the only place of which most non-natives have heard since, not only has it the state's only airport of any size, but it's also where the first ben & jerryā€™s opened.

just move the city to the top left corner of the state, then adjust the highways accordingly.

rutland being replaced by bennington is a reasonable change, since neither is especially well-known.

OK. Sounds like a good compromise to me. Any other objections?
Major WidowMakers

Postby Mr_Adams on Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:49 am

I can't believe you actualy put bullhead on there! :D I was kidding when I suggested it :lol:
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby overanalyzer on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:36 pm

I like this pack o' maps but had to laugh when I saw Iowa lumped in with the great lakes map.... should've had one called central plains - but either way these all look great and have some interesting bonus structures!
Sergeant overanalyzer

Postby toti on Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:18 pm

Are you dumb? Where is rt 95 on the southeast map? It is one of the most important Roads in THE COUNTRY, let alone the southeast. IT should be prevalent throughout the WHOLE East Coast, saying as it is the major artery the connects the east coast.
Sergeant 1st Class toti

Postby the.killing.44 on Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:19 pm

toti wrote:Are you dumb? Where is rt 95 on the southeast map? It is one of the most important Roads in THE COUNTRY, let alone the southeast. IT should be prevalent throughout the WHOLE East Coast, saying as it is the major artery the connects the east coast.

Are you dumb? This has been up since June. They have been quenched. The only discussion is for gameplay and city locations.

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby R0k0v on Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:34 pm

How the hell is delaware part of the greatlakes?

These maps make me realize how much the USA map actually sucks. I also have come to wonder if they teach geography in schools anymore, from what I've seen the answer is no.

Hmmm we actually need Education Reform.

Learn Geography (New York and Pennslyvania border the great Lakes. Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia border the Atlantic Ocean and have nothing to do with the Great Lakes.)

Anyways The New England map is terrible and Rhode Islanders like myself take deep offense to this. Heck last time we were this angry we burnt a ship. (Not A threat, just making a point)
High Score: 2086
Sergeant R0k0v

Postby Sasky on Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:56 pm

These maps are excellent. The idea of interstate highways was very creative. One major problem with the maps (I thought) was that states are simply not worth enough, relative to the highways. Some states like Michigan, however, were worth too much, relative to other states.

Overall,
excellent maps
Colonel Sasky

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:13 pm

Is anyone else noticing or having "almost-unfair" drops? On the SouthWest map I was playing doubles. by the time I took my first turn (I went last) the blue player had all of Arizona and New Mexico. He had a 10 sitting on his border... it was over before I could do anything. In that same game, I started with all but one territory in OK.
And this has happened on all the maps. Where one or more players either start with a bonus, or are close to having one.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby karel on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:33 pm

Just want to say nice job on the maps...love the rockies esp with having my hometown of missoula on there............. 8-) 8-)
Private 1st Class karel

Postby djawshua on Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:19 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
iancanton wrote:
WidowMakers wrote:

What if we change:
Rutland to Bennington
and
Burlington to Newport

OK. Sounds like a good compromise to me. Any other objections?

No objections, in fact I am in full support. I definately agree that Burlington should remain on the map and be relocated if its not too much work for you. It is after all where I live :)
gj man
Lieutenant djawshua

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:50 pm

Here we go.
If these are OK, I will send it off to Lack for uploading.

UPDATED New England
    -Moved Burlington to top left of state
    -Renamed Rutland to Bennington
    -Redid XML coordinates

XML UPDATED
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/15/ ... UPDATE.xml
Version 4 Large
Click image to enlarge.

Version 13 Small
Major WidowMakers

Postby yeti_c on Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:03 pm

Congrats WM - I know it's a bit late - but I've not had the chance to say it.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:42 pm

yeti_c wrote:Congrats WM - I know it's a bit late - but I've not had the chance to say it.

C.
Thanks yeti.

Everyone, are the fixes above good?
If so, then I will PM lack the changes.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby iancanton on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:06 pm

i'm happy with this fix.

Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Mr_Adams on Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:25 am

WidowMakers wrote:
yeti_c wrote:Congrats WM - I know it's a bit late - but I've not had the chance to say it.

C.
Thanks yeti.

Everyone, are the fixes above good?
If so, then I will PM lack the changes.

WM

Thanks for giving my home town a bit of importance. You put Bullhead ON THE MAP! :D :lol:
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby neanderpaul14 on Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:52 am

I love these maps great job WM
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby Juan_Bottom on Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:21 am

I am seriously the only one seeing unfair drops occuring regularly?
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby a.sub on Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:18 am

Juan_Bottom wrote:I am seriously the only one seeing unfair drops occuring regularly?

i havent played em yet :(
stupid freemiumness :lol:
Cadet a.sub

Postby slowen on Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:32 am

I suggest Jackson, TN (pop. 59,643) be used instead of Medina (pop 969) on the Southeast map. What is Medina's claim to fame that warrants its inclusion?
Corporal 1st Class slowen

Postby slowen on Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:40 am

OK, I see the discussion of Jackson, TN vs Jackson, MS. What about Clarksville instead? It's Tennessee's fifth largest city and still in that region of west-of-Nashville and north-of-Memphis, even if it's not on I-40. It's on I-24, which goes through Nashville and Chattanooga.
Corporal 1st Class slowen

Postby Maroon Beret on Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:30 pm

Sorry but with 39 pages of posts I couldn't read them all - I am playing USA Rockies (Game 4307705) and it certainly started oddly. There was one whole state owned by neutral armies, and then my opponent started with a bonus of 3 troops for holding Any 6 State Capitals. In a No Spoils game that certainly tips the tables.

Is there a way to rpevent this from happening in the coding of the game?
Private 1st Class Maroon Beret

Re: USA 6 Region Pack-Finalizing GFX pg. 1/26

Postby iancanton on Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:29 pm

e_i_pi wrote:It's chances in a 1v1 game of a player starting with bonuses. I'm only posting those bonuses which are greater than 2%:

Rockies
21.11% - 4 Capitals
8.26% - 5 Capitals
2.89% - North Dakota

the chances of a player starting with exactly 6 capitals on the rockies map is, according to these calculations, less than 2% (therefore it's not shown in the table - page 26 of this thread), so i think u were just very unlucky. we'll keep an eye out for any more reports of unusual drops. thanks for the alert!

Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Gilligan on Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:49 am

'Lake' is not capitalized in 'Devils Lake' in Rockies in the XML.
Captain Gilligan

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas