Conquer Club

Europe 1914 [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: EUROPE 1914-Update!3 novembar page 1-17[IDEA STAMP]

Postby Qwert on Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:08 pm

by ZeakCytho on Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:16 pm

Could you put some 88s down on that? The circles look awfully small - are you sure 88s will fit without any overlap?

These is standard circles for mine maps,and can fit 88 in,so i dont need to put any 88,to show that they can fit,and these is for FF,when i start work on XML ;)

by Incandenza on Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:40 pm

Forgive me if someone's already mentioned this, but I find it kind of odd that all the "capitals" are city names except for bulgaria. Wouldn't that work better (and be more consistent) as Sofia?

Otherwise, it's looking sharp, qwert. The title and marginalia alone are worth the price of admission.

Hmm,well i add name of Country,because its more know the country Bulgaria,ofcourse i know who is capital of Bulgaria,because these is neighbour Country,but maybe people dont know what is Sofia, and maybe know better for COuntry Bulgaria,all other Capitals is much famous and people know which country present these capitals.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby TaCktiX on Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:40 pm

Devil's advocate: let's just have a geography lesson for the sake of consistency. If anything, people might figure out that Sofia is the capital of Bulgaria. Worst case is they don't know its significance and still conquer it because it's a capital.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Qwert on Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:54 pm

by TaCktiX on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:40 am

Devil's advocate: let's just have a geography lesson for the sake of consistency. If anything, people might figure out that Sofia is the capital of Bulgaria. Worst case is they don't know its significance and still conquer it because it's a capital.

:|
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby yeti_c on Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:52 am

qwert wrote:
by TaCktiX on Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:40 am

:|

I agree with this...

(Translation = "Use Sofia")

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Qwert on Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:51 pm

OK,if you say so i will put Sofia instead Bulgaria. :|
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Re: EUROPE 1914-Update!24 oktobar page 1-16[IDEA STAMP]

Postby oaktown on Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:25 pm

qwert wrote:4.All Country have +1 for capital,but again if you think that its to big,then i can take easiest solution-add 5-6 neutral to london.Creating some new territory on UK(who is small country)will be to much.

This would be the easiest solution, and either 5 or 6 on London will delay taking the UK by one extra turn, eliminating any early advantage. The UK bonus is the only remaining problem I have with the gameplay of this map. It looks lovely and should be unique in play. Maybe on your next update you could include the neutral value of each capital?
Captain oaktown

Postby cairnswk on Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:03 am

Qwert. You know that i also do the Ottoman Empire 1914.

I have to ask why you call "Eastern Turkey"
Should you not call that territory "Eastern Ottoman"
Wikipedia tells me that Turkey was formed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey)
Succession to the Ottoman EmpireĀ²
- War of Independence May 19, 1919
- Formation of Parliament April 23, 1920
- Declaration of Republic October 29, 1923

Also Iraq, perhaps you should call: Mesopotamia or Baghdad as i believe the area you have as Iraq encompasses both Ottoman Vilayets of Baghdad and Mosul.
Again Wikipedia tells me (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq) :
Independence
- from the Ottoman Empire
October 1, 1919
- from the United Kingdom
October 3, 1932

I also question why you call London?
Is this England?

Would you consider a name change for Caspian Land.
This map http://etc.usf.edu/maps/pages/1500/1518/1518z.htm
(even from 1920) shows the area was called URALSK or Uralo-Caspian Depression - but that is too long i think.

Only some suggestions - that's all :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Qwert on Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:28 am

This would be the easiest solution, and either 5 or 6 on London will delay taking the UK by one extra turn, eliminating any early advantage. The UK bonus is the only remaining problem I have with the gameplay of this map. It looks lovely and should be unique in play. Maybe on your next update you could include the neutral value of each capital?

You mean information in first page to add:
"London start with 6 neutrals"
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:03 am

by cairnswk on Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:03 am

Qwert. You know that i also do the Ottoman Empire 1914.

I have to ask why you call "Eastern Turkey"
Should you not call that territory "Eastern Ottoman"
Wikipedia tells me that Turkey was formed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey)
Succession to the Ottoman EmpireĀ²
- War of Independence May 19, 1919
- Formation of Parliament April 23, 1920
- Declaration of Republic October 29, 1923

Also Iraq, perhaps you should call: Mesopotamia or Baghdad as i believe the area you have as Iraq encompasses both Ottoman Vilayets of Baghdad and Mosul.
Again Wikipedia tells me (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq) :
Independence
- from the Ottoman Empire
October 1, 1919
- from the United Kingdom
October 3, 1932

I also question why you call London?
Is this England?

Would you consider a name change for Caspian Land.
This map http://etc.usf.edu/maps/pages/1500/1518/1518z.htm
(even from 1920) shows the area was called URALSK or Uralo-Caspian Depression - but that is too long i think.

Only some suggestions - that's all

Now-Turkey is word who is use for long period:
Name of Turkey
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
The English name for Turkey is derived from the Medieval Latin Turchia (c.1369).[1] The name for Turkey in the Turkish language, TĆ¼rkiye, subdivides into two words: TĆ¼rk, meaning "strong" in Old Turkish and usually signifying the inhabitants of Turkey or a member of the Turkish or Turkic peoples,[2] a later form of "tie-le" (铁勒) or "tu-jue" (ēŖåŽ„), name given by the Chinese to the people living south of the Altay Mountains of Central Asia as early as 177 BC;[1] and the abstract suffix -iye, which means "owner" or "related to". The first recorded use of the term "TĆ¼rk" or "TĆ¼rĆ¼k" as an autonym is attested in the Orkhon inscriptions of the KƶktĆ¼rks (Blue Turks) of Central Asia (c. 8th century CE)....

Ottoman
Osman I
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Osman I
Sultan of the Ottoman Empire

Reign 1299ā€“1326 (27 years)
Coronation 1299
Full name Osman Gazi
Born 1258, Sogut
Died 1326, Sogut (aged 68)
Predecessor Ertuğrul
Successor Orhan I
Royal House House of Osman
Father Ertuğrul
Osman I (1258, Sogut, Anatolia, Turkey ā€“1326, Sogut) Ottoman: Ų¹Ų«Ł…Ų§Ł† ŲØŁ† Ų£Ų±Ų·ŲŗŲ±Ł„, Turkish:Osman Gazi or Osman Bey or I.Osman or Osman Sayed II) was the leader of the Ottoman Turks, and the founder of the dynasty that established and ruled the Ottoman Empire. The Empire, named after him, would prevail as a worldpower for over six centuries.

Turkey is older name then Ottoman.Before ottoman whas Seljuks Empire.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well i put name iraq,because like you say,these area cover several Vilajets,and will be no good to Add Bagdad
Vilayets, 1877
Mosul
Baghdad
Basra
--------------------------
These is three Vilajets,and every have hes own capital,so its better to stay Iraq instead to put Baghdad to present three Vilajets
--------------------
Caspian Land-you give me somethin what is from 1920 years. I try to find something,but its quit dificulty to find proper name,when you have more provinces over caspian Lake. So i add Caspian Lands,because again will be inapropriate to put one name to represent several provinces.
------------------------
London? What is wrong with these name?
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby cairnswk on Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:13 pm

qwert wrote:London? What is wrong with these name?

Using London is like using Belgrade instead of Serbia
Like Belgrade, London is a city, not the name of the Kingdom represented by that area you have defined on the map as Serbia and appropriately named it Serbia.
Private cairnswk

Postby Qwert on Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:06 pm

Using London is like using Belgrade instead of Serbia
Like Belgrade, London is a city, not the name of the Kingdom represented by that area you have defined on the map as Serbia and appropriately named it Serbia.

Cairn,maybe you dont notice,but all territory where is Entente and Central power Capitals,have name of these capitals-Paris-Rome-Saint Petersburg-Berlin-Vienna-Constantinople and Sofia. Like Objectives say"Hold Entente/Central Powers Capitals"
These is map who have some objectives to win a game, and these is best solution to put capitals,because i realy can not figure,what can be objectives then Capitals.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Re: EUROPE 1914-Update!6 novembar page 1-18[IDEA STAMP]

Postby Qwert on Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:13 pm

new update(well minor update)
i change Bulgaria name to Sofia.
Also i add in Manual(first page first post) with how many neutrals starting Capital territories.

Click image to enlarge.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby oaktown on Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:54 pm

Drum roll please...

As for naming, I agree that while Turkey may be derived from a centuries-old name, its use here does not reflect the times. It would be like calling th Berlin region "East Germany" - yes, it technically is the east part of Germany, but when we think of East Germany we recall communists and the cold war. When I think of "Turkey" I think of Ataturk's post-Turkish Independence, post war nation. It would be very easy - and accurate - to change that one region to "Eastern Anatolia" since Anatolia is considered to be a geographic identifier rather than a political one.

The use of London is appropriate with the rest of the map, which includes Berlin, Paris, etc. The many English players who live in that neck of the woods who aren't in London might take offense, but so will anybody who lives in Florence, Salzburg, or western Anatolia. ;)
Captain oaktown

Postby The Neon Peon on Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:23 pm

Finally another stamp!!! Why isn't is a quench one?
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby oaktown on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:10 pm

The Neon Peon wrote:Finally another stamp!!! Why isn't is a quench one?

:roll: there's a Quench-it crew in every thread.

;)
Captain oaktown

Postby Qwert on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:32 am

by oaktown on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:54 am

Drum roll please...

As for naming, I agree that while Turkey may be derived from a centuries-old name, its use here does not reflect the times. It would be like calling th Berlin region "East Germany" - yes, it technically is the east part of Germany, but when we think of East Germany we recall communists and the cold war. When I think of "Turkey" I think of Ataturk's post-Turkish Independence, post war nation. It would be very easy - and accurate - to change that one region to "Eastern Anatolia" since Anatolia is considered to be a geographic identifier rather than a political one.

The use of London is appropriate with the rest of the map, which includes Berlin, Paris, etc. The many English players who live in that neck of the woods who aren't in London might take offense, but so will anybody who lives in Florence, Salzburg, or western Anatolia.

Eastern Anadolia-its make sence. ;)
Thanks for stamp
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Re: EUROPE 1914-Update!6 novembar page 1-18[I][GP]

Postby e_i_pi on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:49 am

qwert, as always, beautiful map. So lovely, i can't wait to play it. I've been looking over it very carefully for anything out of place, and could only find two things:

Malta looks like a drop of paint, needs more shading / stroke line thickness

Saint Petersburg should possibly be called Petrograd. The Russians changed the name to Petrograd on 31st August 1914 as they thought Saint Petersburg sounded too German. The war did start on 28th June, though Italy joined the war in 1915, suggesting this map is set during the war when it was called Petrograd, not at the outset when it was Saint Petersburg.

Aside from that, it's perfect. I love the use of sea territories, and the gameplay objectives will make this very interesting to play. Good work :)
Captain e_i_pi

Postby Qwert on Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:51 pm

by e_i_pi on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:49 pm

qwert, as always, beautiful map. So lovely, i can't wait to play it. I've been looking over it very carefully for anything out of place, and could only find two things:

Malta looks like a drop of paint, needs more shading / stroke line thickness

Saint Petersburg should possibly be called Petrograd. The Russians changed the name to Petrograd on 31st August 1914 as they thought Saint Petersburg sounded too German. The war did start on 28th June, though Italy joined the war in 1915, suggesting this map is set during the war when it was called Petrograd, not at the outset when it was Saint Petersburg.

Aside from that, it's perfect. I love the use of sea territories, and the gameplay objectives will make this very interesting to play. Good work

Hmm, i will stay with saint petersburg. In these case we are bouth right,so i dont see why Saint Petersburg is problem for you.

Malta its add because Ruben "request"(he is from malta ;) ), and if you notice,they have none insignificant role in WWI, that why its neutral territory.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby e_i_pi on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:10 pm

qwert wrote:Hmm, i will stay with saint petersburg. In these case we are bouth right,so i dont see why Saint Petersburg is problem for you.

Yeah cool, I just know that sometimes you're a stickler for intricate details, so thought I'd mention it :)

Malta its add because Ruben "request"(he is from malta ;) ), and if you notice,they have none insignificant role in WWI, that why its neutral territory.

Yes, Malta should be there, but it looks like a white dot, it hasn't got the nice grey shading the other neutral territories have, it stands out a little more than it should.
Captain e_i_pi

Postby cairnswk on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:54 pm

oaktown wrote:...
The use of London is appropriate with the rest of the map, which includes Berlin, Paris, etc. The many English players who live in that neck of the woods who aren't in London might take offense, but so will anybody who lives in Florence, Salzburg, or western Anatolia. ;)

Yes i obviously did not tweak with the city association for naming London.

But I would like to see the name for "Eastern Turkey" change to Van-Diyarbakir or Eastern Armenia or Eastern Ottoman.

I still think Iraq could be Mesopotamia. Iraq did not come into being as a country until much later in the century.

And Caspian Land name sound like a 2nd rate substitute when you might not know what to call this region.
I have suggested URALSK and believe that is appropriate. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Qwert on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:52 pm

Yes, Malta should be there, but it looks like a white dot, it hasn't got the nice grey shading the other neutral territories have, it stands out a little more than it should.

I will see what can i do with these.

Cairnswk
Yes i obviously did not tweak with the city association for naming London.

But I would like to see the name for "Eastern Turkey" change to Van-Diyarbakir or Eastern Armenia or Eastern Ottoman.

I think that more apropriate will be eastern Anatolia will be quit accept solution,because again when you have more provinces who overlap one territory,then i think that these name will solve all issue.

I still think Iraq could be Mesopotamia. Iraq did not come into being as a country until much later in the century

Well if you will be hapy with that then i will put mesopotamia.

And Caspian Land name sound like a 2nd rate substitute when you might not know what to call this region.
I have suggested URALSK and believe that is appropriate.

I will do mine best to find appropriate name for these area,in worst case i will put some geographical name for these area.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:42 pm

Its quit dificulty to find propriate name for Caspian lands, i only find very close to be Western Kazahstan.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby cairnswk on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:45 pm

qwert wrote:Its quit dificulty to find propriate name for Caspian lands, i only find very close to be Western Kazahstan.

Uralsk, Qwert, Uralsk
Private cairnswk

Postby Qwert on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:06 pm

CAirnswk
Uralsk, Qwert, Uralsk

Uralsk is a town.
.For now Western Kazahstan is better solution for Caspian Lands.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby cairnswk on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:47 pm

qwert wrote:
CAirnswk
Uralsk, Qwert, Uralsk

Uralsk is a town.
.For now Western Kazahstan is better solution for Caspian Lands.

Good
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas