Conquer Club

WWI Ottoman Empire [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Edirne <-> Russian Empire Proposal

Postby cairnswk on Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:54 am

oaktown wrote:
cairnswk wrote:What do others feel about inserting this link into the map to make the Russian Empire more vulnerable if someone holds O. Europe terts? The attack route would be bothways.

As there hasn't been much discussion about this here, either before or after you brought it up, it doesn't look to be a major concern of players. I'd say this is your call, mapmaker.

What do you think of this idea oaktown.
Have you played the map?
Would it benefit the overall play having that link?
And sorry, but i haven't really had time to chase people up about this.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Re: Edirne <-> Russian Empire Proposal

Postby oaktown on Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:17 am

cairnswk wrote:What do you think of this idea oaktown.
Have you played the map?
Would it benefit the overall play having that link?

I have to admit that I haven't played this or many of the newer maps - I've been away lot recently, and I got into too many Whac-a-mod games. I'm just now trying to catch up with the Forge.

cairnswk wrote:And sorry, but i haven't really had time to chase people up about this.

No worries... it doesn't seem as if the community is up in arms over this detail of your map.
Captain oaktown

Re: WWI Ottoman Empire [Beta]

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:28 pm

cairnswk wrote:
mpxy wrote:The name of one of the regions, Constantinopole, is wrong. It used to be the old name which was being used before the Ottoman conquest (which was many years ago before 1914). The correct name should be Istanbul.

Thanks for the feedback mpxy...do you equate with abts...sorry only joking. ;) ...me doing algebra at present at uni.

I researched this quite well, and .44 above has provided most of the references. Therefore i would prefer to stick with Constantinople.

It was Constantinople in fact...the name changed at a later date as stated by .44, so good choice! ;)
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby MrBenn on Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:25 am

I've just ( :oops: ) got around to playing my first game on this map, and I have to say the thick grey borders between the regions caused by a little bit of confusion... I got it into my head that they were impassable borders :lol:

I wonder if anybody else had the same random thought? If so, it might be worth making those lines a bit thinner! Now that I've sorted out my grey matter, I don't think it's a big issue - but if others think the same, it might be worth a tweak...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby cairnswk on Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:01 am

MrBenn wrote:I've just ( :oops: ) got around to playing my first game on this map, and I have to say the thick grey borders between the regions caused by a little bit of confusion... I got it into my head that they were impassable borders :lol:

I wonder if anybody else had the same random thought? If so, it might be worth making those lines a bit thinner! Now that I've sorted out my grey matter, I don't think it's a big issue - but if others think the same, it might be worth a tweak...

Does it say anything on the map about anything being impassable???
This is what i was talking about with oaktown recently....no impassable notation mean nothing is impassable.
Seems like nobody picks anything up anymore :(
Private cairnswk

Postby MrBenn on Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:36 am

cairnswk wrote:
MrBenn wrote:I've just ( :oops: ) got around to playing my first game on this map, and I have to say the thick grey borders between the regions caused by a little bit of confusion... I got it into my head that they were impassable borders :lol:

This is what i was talking about with oaktown recently....no impassable notation mean nothing is impassable.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that any changes should be made... I just had a funny five minutes and got it into my head that the thick grey lines were impassable (which, as you say, it does not say anywhere on the map)!
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Ruben Cassar on Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:07 am

cairnswk wrote:

I played a couple of games on this map and everything seems fine in my personal opinion. Two colours are a bit similar but I remember I did not give enough feedback when this one was in developmental stage so it's my fault. However I can still distinguish between them when I look closely.

I don't think there is need for any changes. It's a pretty straightforward map...actually one of the few made by cairns that I can play! Hehe. Well done mate.

P.S. - Do Edirne and Gelibolu form part of a bonus?
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby cairnswk on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:30 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:....
I played a couple of games on this map and everything seems fine in my personal opinion. Two colours are a bit similar but I remember I did not give enough feedback when this one was in developmental stage so it's my fault. However I can still distinguish between them when I look closely.

I don't think there is need for any changes. It's a pretty straightforward map...actually one of the few made by cairns that I can play! Hehe. Well done mate.

P.S. - Do Edirne and Gelibolu form part of a bonus?

Yes, they do Ruben....Ottoman Europe.
Thanks for the feedback btw... :)
Private cairnswk

Postby saaimen on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:35 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:Two colours are a bit similar but I remember I did not give enough feedback when this one was in developmental stage so it's my fault. However I can still distinguish between them when I look closely.

I bet you're talking about Italian Colony and Hussein of Mecca?

By the way, cairns... Is it possible you missed my previous post? It was the last one on p23.
If you deliberately ignored it, you can tell me now ;)
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"
Sergeant 1st Class saaimen

Postby cairnswk on Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:30 am

saaimen wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:Two colours are a bit similar but I remember I did not give enough feedback when this one was in developmental stage so it's my fault. However I can still distinguish between them when I look closely.

I bet you're talking about Italian Colony and Hussein of Mecca?

By the way, cairns... Is it possible you missed my previous post? It was the last one on p23.
If you deliberately ignored it, you can tell me now ;)

saaimen, yes i missed your post, my apologies, they normally don't slip through my radar, but because i have had uni on recently, i may not have been paying too much attention.
I will not your recommendation and adjust it if this needs to have new image posted again soon for whatever reason.
Private cairnswk

Postby Ogrecrusher on Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:42 am

I've played 2 flat rate double games on this map and they've both gone the same way. Someone grabs Russian Territories Early, the players in the middle attack them, and then the colony players come through to win. From this, having been in both positions, we won the second game, it's clear that it's really hard to get to the bottom of the map from the top. This weakens Russian Territories enough in my eyes, I doubt another attack route into it is needed.
Colonel Ogrecrusher

Postby Gilligan on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:50 am

I don't know if this has been brought up, but the Medina Akbah connection is hardly noticeable (I didn't know until someone used it on me)
Captain Gilligan

Postby cairnswk on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:43 am

Gilligan wrote:I don't know if this has been brought up, but the Medina Akbah connection is hardly noticeable (I didn't know until someone used it on me)

You normally follow my maps, why didn't you this time??
Private cairnswk

Postby Ogrecrusher on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:45 am

cairnswk wrote:
Gilligan wrote:I don't know if this has been brought up, but the Medina Akbah connection is hardly noticeable (I didn't know until someone used it on me)

I didn't even know there was a connection there to make clearer!
You could move the crown or draw and arrow surely? :)
Colonel Ogrecrusher

Postby Gilligan on Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:04 am

cairnswk wrote:

Normally... Except maybe Forbidden City and your Poison Rome... :lol: ;)

But I didn't even see a connection, and got attacked at Medina from Akbah.
Captain Gilligan

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:49 am

Cairns...the neutral region below Italian Abyssinia, shouldn't it be called Abyssinia instead of Abyssina?
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby cairnswk on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:28 pm

saaimen wrote:Nice map, cairnswk :)

Just one thing. I don't know if this has been discussed before because I didn't read the whole 23 pages.
But the one thing that really caught my eye was the lower left corner. The placement of the soldiers' image and the symbol legend doesn't seem right to me. My feeling tells me the soldiers should be moved up and left a bit in that grid, and maybe the text should be centered with the symbol above it.
But that's just my feeling. Maybe you can understand, it seems a bit randomly placed in an otherwise so well-balanced map.
My 2 cents ;)

Ogrecrusher wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

I didn't even know there was a connection there to make clearer!
You could move the crown or draw and arrow surely? :)

Gilligan wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Normally... Except maybe Forbidden City and your Poison Rome... :lol: ;)

But I didn't even see a connection, and got attacked at Medina from Akbah.

Ruben Cassar wrote:Cairns...the neutral region below Italian Abyssinia, shouldn't it be called Abyssinia instead of Abyssina?

How is this guys.
Click image to enlarge.

Private cairnswk

Postby saaimen on Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:03 pm

cairnswk wrote:
saaimen wrote:Nice map, cairnswk

Just one thing. I don't know if this has been discussed before because I didn't read the whole 23 pages.
But the one thing that really caught my eye was the lower left corner. The placement of the soldiers' image and the symbol legend doesn't seem right to me. My feeling tells me the soldiers should be moved up and left a bit in that grid, and maybe the text should be centered with the symbol above it.
But that's just my feeling. Maybe you can understand, it seems a bit randomly placed in an otherwise so well-balanced map.
My 2 cents
How is this guys.

Well... It's better already :) But still I think the soldiers (with the now better centered text) should be moved up and left. It just looks a bit weird.
I'm guessing maybe the whole soldiers-on-the-grid thing is one image and you can't change their relative positions? In that case, you might zoom in a bit, align the right and bottom side, and cut away on the left and the top.

Or am I being naggy :D?
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"
Sergeant 1st Class saaimen

Postby cairnswk on Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:13 pm

saaimen wrote:...
Well... It's better already :) But still I think the soldiers (with the now better centered text) should be moved up and left. It just looks a bit weird.
I'm guessing maybe the whole soldiers-on-the-grid thing is one image and you can't change their relative positions? In that case, you might zoom in a bit, align the right and bottom side, and cut away on the left and the top.

Or am I being naggy :D?

the later i think. I have deliverately placed this so that the guns don't overlap.
Next time, please attend the map beforeit goes to final forge for these adjustments. Thanks. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:46 pm

Baghdad is spelt wrongly as well...I'm amazed no one noticed those 2 spelling mistakes before.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby cairnswk on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:34 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:Baghdad is spelt wrongly as well...I'm amazed no one noticed those 2 spelling mistakes before.

:oops: Ruben, it'll have to wait again now. I'm in the middle of studying for uni exams. Thanks. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:58 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:Baghdad is spelt wrongly as well...I'm amazed no one noticed those 2 spelling mistakes before.

:oops: Ruben, it'll have to wait again now. I'm in the middle of studying for uni exams. Thanks. :)

Good luck for your exams! :)
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Ogrecrusher on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:01 pm

Love the update.
Colonel Ogrecrusher

Postby cairnswk on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:23 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Good luck for your exams! :)

Thanks Ruben, very kind of you. I think i did OK. :)

Ogrecrusher wrote:Love the update.

Excellent.
Private cairnswk

Postby oaktown on Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:32 pm

it's been two weeks since the last concern, and that was just spelling. if there are no objections I think this map can be promoted out of beta. =D>
Captain oaktown

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas