Conquer Club

Monsters! - Battle for the Powerstones

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Monsters! - XML Changes OK

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:40 am

Forza AZ wrote:OK, I checked the new XML, and it is OK!!!

Looks like were ready for an update =)

How do we go about getting this submitted?

XML - http://www.bigottergames.com/downloads/monsters14.xml (v0_13_21 )
Small - http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4032/464 ... 590a_o.png (v0_13_21)
Large - http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4072/464 ... d9aa_o.png (v0_13_21)

=D=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Re: Monsters! [D,GP,GR,XML,BETA] - Ready For Upload

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:35 pm

The update has been sent to lack and awaits upload ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:26 am

MrBenn wrote:The update has been sent to lack and awaits upload ;-)

Looking forward to it =)

=D=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:16 pm

Updated :-D
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:38 am

MrBenn wrote:Updated :-D

Awesome ... I went to every active game and posted the following in chat ...

As with any BETA map there may be changes during gameplay. Check the legend as changes were made to the bonus structure and how lightening bolts work.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Re: Monsters! [D,GP,GR,XML,BETA] - Map Updated Live

Postby Dako on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:22 pm

Yeah, and we just started the game and went after the "wrong" runebouns monster. A pity.

Well tell you how it proceeds with the new changes.
Colonel Dako

Postby drunkmonkey on Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:36 pm

dolomite13 wrote:

As with any BETA map there may be changes during gameplay. Check the legend as changes were made to the bonus structure and how lightening bolts work.

=D=

This goes above and beyond what any mapmaker is expected to do, and I want you to know it was very much appreciated. Thank you. =D>
Major drunkmonkey

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Dako wrote:Yeah, and we just started the game and went after the "wrong" runebouns monster. A pity.

Well tell you how it proceeds with the new changes.

Ah sorry bout that ... hope it all goes well =)

drunkmonkey wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:

=D=

This goes above and beyond what any mapmaker is expected to do, and I want you to know it was very much appreciated. Thank you. =D>

=) Thanx

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby Dako on Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:06 am

Going well. I rolled 6-0 for _my_ monster now and things seem even.

Thanks for the great map - I really love it.
Colonel Dako

Postby Enter Smith on Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:22 am

I am not sure if you are aware, but I am stuck with a lot of armies on two lightening bolts and no way to escape.
"Unless"
Welcome to the Dark Ride
Cook Enter Smith

Postby drunkmonkey on Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:08 am

Enter Smith wrote:I am not sure if you are aware, but I am stuck with a lot of armies on two lightening bolts and no way to escape.

The map clearly states that lightning bolts are for bombardment only. This isn't the only map where armies can get "stuck" if you move them to a bombardment-only territory.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:38 pm

Enter Smith wrote:I am not sure if you are aware, but I am stuck with a lot of armies on two lightening bolts and no way to escape.
Yes that is working as intended. The lightening bolt used to reset to 3 neutral and was changed to just reduce by 2 per turn. This allows you to not "waste" a bunch of armies but the change does trap them there and I think that is an OK thing...

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:50 pm

This map is not my kind of pickems, but I appreciate the diversity brings to our selection. :D Maybe I'll get at least one game on it... :D

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:41 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:This map is not my kind of pickems, but I appreciate the diversity brings to our selection. :D Maybe I'll get at least one game on it... :D --Andy

Yep, concept maps like this aren't everybody's cup of tea. But it's nice to have something different available as a distraction. I was having some fun yesterday trying to visualize this map as a land based map with the monsters replaced by land, the wizards replaced by heavily fortified bunkers, and the powerstones and spells replaced by capital cities with artillery and paratroopers. Maybe I'll mock that up and post it just for fun.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby Dako on Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:22 am

By the way. Most of the team games have no strategy here. First to get a monster and powerstone wins 90% of the games. 10% he gets bad dice.
Colonel Dako

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:31 pm

Dako wrote:By the way. Most of the team games have no strategy here. First to get a monster and powerstone wins 90% of the games. 10% he gets bad dice.
Hmmm interesting, so far what I have seen is that any team that works together stacking to do what you have suggested as strategy is competitive and can win. It's the teams that don't work to get the bonuses early that end up loosing.. In my opinion this is pretty much how all team games on all maps work. I will take a look at some finished games logs and see if this is indeed true that it happens 90% of the time.

What I am more surprised about is how much fun I find fog of war on this map considering I normally despise it.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Re: Monsters! [D,GP,GR,XML,BETA] - Spell Issues

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:37 pm

Lightening Bolts / Spells

I have noticed that by having the lightening bolts simply drop by 2 that players are sort of getting stuck on that spell and must sit through several turns of a losing game before they are eliminated. This is causing games to go longer than intended.

Possible fix....

I propose putting lightening bolt back the way it was... resetting to 3 neutral every turn... but to fix the original issue that you can't get your forces off of lightening bolt I propose changing both spells, mind blast and lightening bolt to allow them to assault the powerstone that they are linked with. This would allow players to use either spell and with mind blast they could choose to advance their forces or return them to the powerstone with lightening bolt they could bombard till they are out of forces or return the forces to the powerstone.

ANY THOUGHTS?

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby natty dread on Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:41 pm

I don't know. Part of the attraction of the spells was (to me) that you had to consider how many troops you would advance on them, because you could not get them back. Now if you can just move the troops back from the spells it becomes too easy to use them.

There are lots of maps where you can get "trapped" on bombardment-only territories. Poland, Waterloo etc. I don't think it's a big deal.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby drunkmonkey on Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:31 pm

I don't know. I don't like the ability to move back and forth, for natty's reasons. But when you think about it, you can basically do that now with Mind Blast (as long as you control the nearest runebound monster), so why not have the ability for Lightning Bolt? Through all the games I've played on Monsters, I've never used Lightning Bolt, but I might if I could get my troops back. Then again, that might make it TOO powerful.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby Dako on Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:06 am

I think you just leave it as is. Being stuck there is no problem for me.

And about team games - I meant every team chooses the player they stack on. After that he goes for the monster/powerstone and the 1st one to get better luck wins the game (because he can assault the other monster and it is not that hard). So this map is nice, but there is not strategy involved for team games. Maybe for singles, yes, but not the teams.
Colonel Dako

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:23 am

I agree about the not moving back for lightening bolt ... i know that i do use it and used it before when it reset to 3 to clean people off of powerstones ... it seems alot easier to do that now and less of a strategic decision...
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:24 am

In one game that I know of the game engine dropped starting forces on the lightening bolts ... has anyone else seen this?

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby danryan on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:10 pm

Yes, both of us just dropped lightning bolts to start, something wrong there. Game 7279430
Sergeant 1st Class danryan

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:46 pm

danryan wrote:Yes, both of us just dropped lightning bolts to start, something wrong there. Game 7279430
Hrmmm... I will look at the code when I get home tomorrow I am out of town and don't have access to it.
Cook dolomite13

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:23 pm

Make sure they're coded as neutrals in the <territory> tags ;-)
Lieutenant MrBenn

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas