Conquer Club

Monsters! - Battle for the Powerstones

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Monsters! - New Map - p7 (4/23/2009)

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:23 pm

New 800 x 800 and sample 600 x 600 map.

I found some discussion about map sizes and realized that I was creating a map in a size that was frowned upon so I resized the map. I had to move most of the monsters to accommodate this. I also resized teh map quickly to 600 x 600 to see how it would look in its smaller size. The small mp isn't final as I need to clean up names and not resize the unit circles.

Large

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3610/347 ... 6094_o.png

Click image to enlarge.

Small

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3345/347 ... a14b_o.png
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Re: Monsters! - POLL - Resized Maps p7 (4/24/2009)

Postby ghirrindin on Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:06 am

Why is there a poll regarding the future of this map? Of course you should keep going! The graphics are incredibly fun, and it looks like the gameplay will match, even if a few things need hammering out. Obviously, you must explain the gameplay surrounding the orbs better.

I don't understand the controversy surrounding the "story" behind this map. I really don't think this thing needs a convoluted background. It's simple, and you tell it well in your signature: competing wizards need some power balls and the monsters are protecting said balls. What else is there?
Sergeant ghirrindin

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:33 am

ghirrindin wrote:Why is there a poll regarding the future of this map? Of course you should keep going! The graphics are incredibly fun, and it looks like the gameplay will match, even if a few things need hammering out. Obviously, you must explain the gameplay surrounding the orbs better.

I don't understand the controversy surrounding the "story" behind this map. I really don't think this thing needs a convoluted background. It's simple, and you tell it well in your signature: competing wizards need some power balls and the monsters are protecting said balls. What else is there?

I agree the gameplay around the orbs needs hammered out a bit, and so do the starting units and bonuses. The poll was to help gauge interest. The map hasn't garnered enough support for it to move on to the next level and I wanted to see if people would help me by at least stopping by the thread and saying "yes" keep going =)

The story of the map has changed a bit over the past several months as the gameplay has changed. But I think I finally have the story, map, and gameplay all working together now.

I am planning on resizing monsters a tiny bit to better fit everything on the map, I might move the orb powers off the main map onto a grid somewhere in a corner and I would love to get the wizards story onto the map. Or at least onto the large map =)

I just got Photoshop CS at home so now I can work on it at home instead of during my lunch break at work.

Thanx for the comments I appreciate it.

--D
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby TaCktiX on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:40 pm

I would like to throw my full weight and support behind this map. It's a different concept, its graphics are well-done and appropriately cartoony, and the gameplay has lots of potential.

That said, here's what I think needs improving:
Graphics
- All of the territory names are really small and hard to read. Strictly speaking they're readable, but not immediately. It's okay if the name goes outside of the territory's bounds, since for the most part territories overlap instead of being strict borders. In general, seek to increase the size.
- The monsters look so angry and featured...and our poor players are faceless and by the looks of it helpless. I know doing a convincing face is harder, but put some work into it. And instead of the upraised hands SUGGESTING the casting of spells, add some magical "fire" or "sparkle" to the tips of their fingers (or hands, as the case may be).
- What's the point of the spiders other than map fill? I keep on thinking they should have some gameplay feature attached to them, but they don't. Consider trees or something similarly inanimate. Keep in mind we've got a Halloween map wherein the spider is an important element.
- The rules are suffering from severe size difference. They're readable, but at first glance it's "omg too much". I don't have any immediate suggestions, but when I do I'll let you know.
- I keep on feeling like Rules 2 and 3 (the shield ones) can be combined in some way, but I'm not sure how.

Gameplay
- Could you start plunking down some neutral counts so we can have something to compare against? Right now it's hard to say if things are balanced or unbalanced when everything is 88 (except the shields, Mind Blast, and Lightning Bolt, whose killer neutral behavior determines what they are set as).
- The Synergy bonus's decay seems unnecessary. Holding onto 2 synergies is a fairly difficult task to begin with, particularly in an 8 player match, having them decay to the point of being easily conquered is insult to injury.
- Mind Blast seems like a waste except in team games. Why bombard a color monster when you can kill a few random monsters and suddenly you can outright attack it, without a killer neutral to bust through to start with? Look into changing this into can attack color monsters.
- Lightning Bolt, I'm divided between doing the Mind Blast switch to attack, or keeping as is. I'm thinking more as is.

So there we are, a nice long list to prove that your map got
Image.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby MrBenn on Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:52 pm

The poll seems a little screwed up... The responses I am looking for are below.

I've deleted the poll for you - when a poll finishes, you need a moderator to remove it and post the results - that way they won;t keep messing up. If you need assistance with polls in future, just drop me (or one of the other blue Foundry Mods) a brief PM ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:10 pm

Thanx TaCktiX that's the awesome comments I was hoping for... I have all day tomorrow to improve upon it and will work on that. =)

I have been considering taking out the synergy bonus and just building it into controlling the stones. The other two "mind blast" i felt was necessary to help bombard the color monsters but perhapse it should be attack any color monster and reset to a larger amount. The "lightening bolt" I wanted as a direct bombard attack at wizards shields to help you get through. Possibly i could combine mind blast and lightning bolt and allow you to attack color monsters and bombard shields from it.

I am open to suggestions on neutrals, the connection map has the possible starting neutrals.

Thanx mrbenn I didn;t know that about the poll.

--D
Cook dolomite13

Re: Monsters! - Resized Maps p7 (4/24/2009)

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:30 am

So I have two possible routes to go with the spells in this map.

1) The powerstones grant the wizards access to spells to do things with ... This would have two territories connected to the powerstones (mind blast & lightning bolt). To use them you would need to keep and hold a powerstone. This makes little sense for powerful wizards to not already have spells unless the story is changed to say that in these caves your powers have become weakened. This helps balance attacking shields and being able to jump across the map early in the game.

2) The wizards already have the spells ... This would have two territories connected to the wizards (mind blast & lightning bolt). To use them you would just need to attack them from your wizard. This makes more sense to align it to powerful wizards. But this would allow wizard shield bombardment early in the game as well as attacking across the map.

"Mind Blast" Attack any colored monster from this orb location. Resets to 3 neutral every turn.

"Lightning Bolt" Bombard any wizard shield from this orb location. Resets to 5 neutral every turn.

I am inclined to stay with #1 for now ...

Any Thoughts?

--D
Cook dolomite13

Re: Monsters! - Mechanics Question & New Map - p8 (4/25/2009)

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:41 pm

Here is a new version of the map I am working on, I like the layout a bit better. I still need to work on the wizards graphics, and the monster names. And decide how I will represent the attacking to the powerstone powers. I moved the powers off the map onto the left and right sides. I also slightly reduced the size of the monsters and wizards to fit the text at the top and move the logo. This version removes all ground clutter and extra monsters, I may add them in the future to give the map that extra bit of flair =)

Any comments are appreciated.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3409/347 ... 94ef_o.png

Click image to enlarge.

--D
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:31 am

Will have a new map in a day or two, I think I have the problem of unreadable names solved and I have been working on the coloring of the coloring of the map as well as the layout of where circles are etc... I also have a new powerstone texture that looks much better... I should also have a proper "small" map to show off then as well... overall it is looking real good =)
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:53 am

I worked on the "small" map yesterday and ... well ... it is not going great... I need to devote several hours to it this evening and I will post my results.

--D
Cook dolomite13

Re: Monsters! - Working On Small Map (update soon)

Postby MEK on Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:16 pm

I like your map so far dolomite. :) =D>
The monsters are appealing little characters, they remind me of the abominable snowman in frosty the snowman I think it was.

I agree that the map instructions on the bottom left need something, maybe you could group the wizard comments together somehow rather than have three different lines that start with wizards.
I like the different features with the powerstones, wizards and monsters. Something new to consider that will bring an added strategic element.

I'll check back in on your progress, thanks for suggesting I take a look, I look forward to seeing more.
Lieutenant MEK

Re: Monsters! - New Larghe Map (5/1/2009)

Postby dolomite13 on Fri May 01, 2009 4:23 am

I was able to finish a new large map.

- played around with fonts and got some that seem more readable.
- changed the colors of the powerstones a bit.
- tried adding faces to the wizards. I went with a cartoon like faces that you would see on emoticons.
- added spell casting effects to the wizards hands.
- changed unit circles to be lighter and have a less rigid edge (the map was getting busy)

Let me know what you think.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3659/349 ... f8a4_o.png

Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by dolomite13 on Fri May 01, 2009 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cook dolomite13

Re: Monsters! - Working On Small Map (update soon)

Postby dolomite13 on Fri May 01, 2009 4:27 am

MEK wrote:I like your map so far dolomite. :) =D>
The monsters are appealing little characters, they remind me of the abominable snowman in frosty the snowman I think it was.

I agree that the map instructions on the bottom left need something, maybe you could group the wizard comments together somehow rather than have three different lines that start with wizards.
I like the different features with the powerstones, wizards and monsters. Something new to consider that will bring an added strategic element.

I'll check back in on your progress, thanks for suggesting I take a look, I look forward to seeing more.

I like your idea of putting the line sthat start with wizards together I am still looking at how to word it to get all gameplay on the map and not need to draw connection lines everywhere.
Cook dolomite13

Re: Monsters! - New Large Map (P8 5/1/2009)

Postby lt.pie on Fri May 01, 2009 4:48 am

Consider changing W3 to pie ;)

I think it would enhance gameplay to a certain extent.
Captain lt.pie

Postby dolomite13 on Fri May 01, 2009 11:02 am

lt.pie wrote:Consider changing W3 to pie ;)

I think it would enhance gameplay to a certain extent.

I will consider it =)

If people think the wizards should also have 3 letter names like monsters I would seriously consider calling W3 Pie.

--D
Cook dolomite13

Postby TaCktiX on Fri May 01, 2009 2:30 pm

I like the new changes for the most part. You're making a lot of good changes, so kudos there.

Graphics
- New powerstones look pimp. Here's a suggestion you can take or leave: how about the same sort of texture and three-tone scheme, but different colors for each one? That way you can have some extra character for the almighty powerstones, the chief "reason" to fight on the map.
- The faces are a step in the right direction, but they just don't seem to fit. Simplified faces seem to make more sense in light of the map being called Monsters and all. And I just don't like the exaggerated facial expressions.

Gameplay
- On the additional powerstone bonus, you can get away with saying "Each Additional Powerstone +2".

I don't have anything else for right now, good work.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby MEK on Fri May 01, 2009 5:32 pm

MEK is a nice three letter name too btw =D>
Lieutenant MEK

Postby oaktown on Fri May 01, 2009 11:13 pm

Fun looking map! :D

Colorblind player's nightmare. :(

Wizards can attack monsters of same color - playing this map completely relies on one's ability to tell the colors apart, which I can't.

(edited for grammar)
Last edited by oaktown on Fri May 01, 2009 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Captain oaktown

Postby Danyael on Fri May 01, 2009 11:18 pm

oaktown wrote:Fun looking map! :D

Colorblind player's nightmare. :(

Wizards can attack monsters of same color - making this map completely rely on one's ability to tell the colors apart, which I can't.

i second this ^^^

maybe add a weapon too the monster and a symbol on the corresponding wizard
Corporal 1st Class Danyael

Postby dolomite13 on Sat May 02, 2009 12:02 am

After taking a while to study the maps that I applied the colorblind filters to I agree that there needs to be a better way to tell which monsters are connected to the wizards. I will be looking to add symbols to them that match each wizard. I also agree about the faces. They are sort of weird feeling and I will be playing around with that as well.

Thanx for the great feedback!!!!

--D
Cook dolomite13

Postby Incandenza on Sat May 02, 2009 2:00 am

Play with the faces if you must, but please do try and keep them uniquely expressive. As the map exists now, the different expressions on the wizard's faces give them some much-needed personality.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby ghirrindin on Sat May 02, 2009 4:00 am

Hey Dolomite,

I'd like to say that I really like where you've taken this map, and I think you've clarified the gameplay somewhat. Having the "powers" or "spells" of the balls on the sides definitely cleans up the center.

Don't know if anyone has said something similar, and quite frankly I don't have time to read through the posts to check. But to build off of Incandenza's note that the facial expressions add personality to the wizards, I think gussying up the their robes would help with this as well. For example, give the blue wizard a blue cloak and hat with stars and a moon, etc.... It would also emphasize the starting colors of each of the sorcerers. Although, I don't know if this addition would hide the army count numbers.

Good work!
Sergeant ghirrindin

Postby Incandenza on Sat May 02, 2009 4:52 am

Speaking of the personalities of the wizards, you're gonna have to name them. W1, W2 etc are a little... cold. And in so doing, you could more elegantly link each wizard to his monster, i.e. yellow wizard's name is Yel, yellow monster's name is Low, Pur-Ple, and so on. You'll have to kind of wing it with a couple of them (Red-Der? Blu-Est?), but it could work.

Also, and this is more of a long-term thing, it would be nice if there was some sort of overarching pattern to the names of the brown monsters. Think of it this way, if I want to tell me partner to drop in Moe, or if I have a choice between cashing Ben, Ned, and Von, and I want to check and see if I'll be holding any of those terits in the near future, it would be much easier to be able to look at the map and follow a pattern to at least narrow down the search, rather than have to comb thru every monster's name.

Also, in the xml, you'll probably want to write out the full names of the wizards and colored monsters, i.e. "Yel - Yellow Wizard", but that's for further down the road.

One last thing: I imagine it's because I've been culturally conditioned to be overly sensitive to shit like this, but I feel like we can find a better term than "colored monsters"... Why not just Color Monster(s), both letters capitalized?

One last last thing: in the legend, the M and L of the powerstone powers could be bolded or otherwise drawn out, draws a much closer association with the terit names of M and L...
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby sailorseal on Sat May 02, 2009 10:14 am

Small Stuff:
Put a space between "lairof"
I would lower the opacity on the Blue Monster's stripe to match the others

I love this map!
Cook sailorseal

Postby naxus on Sat May 02, 2009 11:18 am

Hey.I like the way this map has progressed as its changed alot.Most of what i was gonna say has been said but a thought to the color blind.Give the colored monsters 2 eyes with a symbol on thier body/head with a corresponding symbol on thier wizard.That would help colorblind people while adding a little "personality" to the wizard.
Haggis_McMutton wrote:2. Anyone else find it kind of funny that naxus is NK'd right after insisting that we're all paranoid?
Corporal 1st Class naxus

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas