Conquer Club

Monsters! - Battle for the Powerstones

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Monsters! [D,GP,GR,XML,BETA] - Map Updated Live

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:44 pm

MrBenn wrote:Make sure they're coded as neutrals in the <territory> tags ;-)
They are not :( I will see if I can fix it from this laptop.

=D=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:55 pm

http://www.bigottergames.com/downloads/monsters15.xml

- Neutral 3 added to the lightening bolts ... looks like when i changed it from killer neutral to bonus -2 i dropped the neutral declaration :(

=D=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby Dako on Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:16 am

Bad boy! :)
Colonel Dako

Postby drunkmonkey on Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:43 am

Game 7282507 - Every Lightning Bolt has starting forces. :o
Major drunkmonkey

Postby joxter14 on Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:52 am

I think it should be the way it was originally. Since you win with holding powerstones, lightningbolt should be the harder spell to use. And I like that you really have to considered how many troops you are willing to risk putting onto the spell, because you might lose some of them when it reset.

I've been playing a 1 on 1 monsters game and I was dropped onto 5 of the lightning bolts, the other guy onto none. That gave the other guy 5 more monsters than me to start. Initial dropping onto the LB does not make the play balanced.
Last edited by joxter14 on Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class joxter14

Re: Monsters! [D,GP,GR,XML,BETA]

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:10 pm

joxter14 wrote:I think it should be the way it was originally. Since you win with holding powerstones, lightningbolt should be the harder spell to use. And I like that you really have to considered how many troops you are willing to risk putting onto the spell, because you might lose some of them when it reset.
I am starting to think that's true...

=D=
Last edited by dolomite13 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cook dolomite13

Postby djak. on Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:49 am

joxter14 wrote:I was dropped onto 5 of the lightning bolts, the other guy onto none. That gave the other guy 5 more monsters than me to start. Initial dropping onto the LB does not make the play balanced.

I got dropped on 4 Ls in a 3 player, the disadvantage leading to me to now only have 4 armies - all on Ls, and I can only bombard, not attack.

joxter14 wrote:I think it should be the way it was originally.

ASAP.
Lieutenant djak.

Postby fumandomuerte on Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:49 am

djak. wrote:
joxter14 wrote:I was dropped onto 5 of the lightning bolts, the other guy onto none. That gave the other guy 5 more monsters than me to start. Initial dropping onto the LB does not make the play balanced.

I got dropped on 4 Ls in a 3 player, the disadvantage leading to me to now only have 4 armies - all on Ls, and I can only bombard, not attack.

joxter14 wrote:I think it should be the way it was originally.

ASAP.

Yeah, you should somehow re-write the XML for the spells. I'm in a 6 players game and two of us started with 2 Lightning Bolts... That's -4 troops...
Thanks to the CC staff for the perma-ban on ۩░▒▓₪№™℮₪▓▒░۩!
Captain fumandomuerte

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:39 pm

The xml for lightening bolt dropping players has been fixed and submitted for upload.

I am conflicted over the changes from lightening bolt resetting to 3 neutral to -2 per turn... on one hand lightening bolt becomes useful and people use it more ... on the other hand you can see all of the powerstones in a fog of war game just by holding that. I am really thinking making it reset would help the map in the long run ... but maybe the reset number could be decreased to 1 neutral... any thoughts?

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:44 pm

fumandomuerte wrote:Yeah, you should somehow re-write the XML for the spells. I'm in a 6 players game and two of us started with 2 Lightning Bolts... That's -4 troops...

Lightening bolts should not be giving a -2 they should be degrading by 2 according to the xml

=D+
Cook dolomite13

Re: Monsters! [D,GP,GR,XML,BETA] - Lightening Bolt Thoughts?

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:34 pm

The updates have gone live...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby drunkmonkey on Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:54 pm

dolomite13 wrote:
fumandomuerte wrote:Yeah, you should somehow re-write the XML for the spells. I'm in a 6 players game and two of us started with 2 Lightning Bolts... That's -4 troops...

Lightening bolts should not be giving a -2 they should be degrading by 2 according to the xml

=D+

They are, but BOB adds the [-2] to your total expected reinforcements. I'm guessing he was confused by that.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:49 pm

drunkmonkey wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:

=D+

They are, but BOB adds the [-2] to your total expected reinforcements. I'm guessing he was confused by that.

Ah that explains it... for now then lightening bolt will only change in that you wont start on them and they will simply decay by 2... if you eliminate all but the forces someone has on a lighteing bolt ... well then take them out there as well ;)
Cook dolomite13

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:55 pm

How do you feel about the update? Are you going to stick with it, or do you see further tweaks down the line?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:18 pm

MrBenn wrote:How do you feel about the update? Are you going to stick with it, or do you see further tweaks down the line?
Honestly I believe that how the map is right now is pretty darn good ... I was torn on the lightning bolts between resetting to 3 neutral and simply decaying but I am starting to believe that the decay option is better in that once you have an army there it is sort of a sentry watching all of the powerstones in a fog of war game. The possibility that someone will eliminate all your forces except the lightning bolt exists and could slow down a game but I do believe the the benefits outweigh this negative. So I would say the map is done ... I need to go enter the info for the map into the map info database thing yet =)

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby wtf_ on Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:59 pm

In game 7220331, the Shield doesn't seem to be properly resetting to 8. The shield on Grath was not assaulted, bombarded, etc. through the last full round, yet stays at 1.
Captain wtf_

Postby drunkmonkey on Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:35 pm

wtf_ wrote:In game 7220331, the Shield doesn't seem to be properly resetting to 8. The shield on Grath was not assaulted, bombarded, etc. through the last full round, yet stays at 1.

Can't see it through the fog, but is the shield a neutral 1, or owned by a player? It only resets if a player controls it.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:54 pm

wtf_ wrote:In game 7220331, the Shield doesn't seem to be properly resetting to 8. The shield on Grath was not assaulted, bombarded, etc. through the last full round, yet stays at 1.

Looks like it should reset if a player controls it otherwise if bombarded or assaulted and not conquered it will remain at where it was.

Code: Select all
<territory>
<name>Shield - Grath</name>
<borders>
<border>Grath</border>
</borders>
<coordinates>
<smallx>358</smallx>
<smally>390</smally>
<largex>478</largex>
<largey>512</largey>
</coordinates>
<neutral killer="yes">8</neutral>
</territory>
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:46 pm

Map is now entered into the map database.

http://chipv.freehostia.com/index.php?a ... owerstones

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby Rémi on Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:03 pm

Same problem in Game 7264671, with Sythe's shield, always staying at 1.
Colonel Rémi

Re: Monsters! [D,GP,GR,XML,BETA] = Database Entry Completed

Postby ender516 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:36 pm

dolomite13 is right. A killer neutral only resets when the player holding it starts a new turn. If a killer neutral is bombarded until the holding player's troops are annihilated, then it will remain with one neutral troop until someone attacks and captures it. It can then be captured by someone else any number of times but will reset when and only when the player holding it starts a new turn.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:35 pm

I wold consider this map near the end of beta however I have noticed a few games taking very long to complete when "no spoils" "nuclear" or even "flat rate" are selected ... has anyone else noticed this and do you have any suggestions how to maybe fix that?

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby ender516 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:03 pm

Is that really something that needs to be fixed? I think people who play those settings must be accustomed to long games. Are these games on this map running a lot longer than games with similar settings on similar sized maps?
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:21 pm

ender516 wrote:Is that really something that needs to be fixed? I think people who play those settings must be accustomed to long games. Are these games on this map running a lot longer than games with similar settings on similar sized maps?
Nope it doesnt need to be fixed was just wondering how bad it seemed ... if its really really bad then maybe but i'm of the opinion its fine
Cook dolomite13

Postby Dako on Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:51 am

It is normal, such games are hard to win and people scarcely attack. So no wonder it takes so long to finish them.
Colonel Dako

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas