Conquer Club

Austerlitz Map [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: AUSTERLITZ [D] v05 17apr2009

Postby pamoa on Thu May 07, 2009 2:17 am

iancanton wrote:u need only 3 sets of starting positions; to make sense, each set must include one village and one french left flank division.

If you say so
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby Incandenza on Sun May 17, 2009 7:58 pm

Hey pamoa, I'm looking in on this for ian. The thing he wanted me to make sure of is what you guys have just been talking about:

pamoa wrote:
iancanton wrote:u need only 3 sets of starting positions; to make sense, each set must include one village and one french left flank division.

If you say so

If you're good with that, then I believe this is ready for gameplay stampin'.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby pamoa on Mon May 18, 2009 2:43 am

I'll code it as following

Code: Select all
<positions>
   <position>
      <territory>Suchet</territory>
      <territory>Pratzen</territory>
   </position>

<position>
      <territory>Kellerman</territory>
      <territory>Skolnitz</territory>
   </position>

<position>
      <territory>Caffarelli</territory>
      <territory>Telnitz</territory>
   </position>
</positions>
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby Incandenza on Mon May 18, 2009 9:43 pm

Well, someone who knows xml better than I do should probably look that over... that being said, here ya go:

THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Re: AUSTERLITZ [D,Gp] v05 17apr2009

Postby captainwalrus on Tue May 19, 2009 6:24 pm

Yay! I like this a lot, but I am at a loss for what to advise. From the begining I thought it was really good and I can't wait to see it keep going.
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby pamoa on Wed May 20, 2009 2:50 am

thanks for the stamp Incandenza
thanks for the support captainwalrus
Last edited by pamoa on Wed May 27, 2009 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cadet pamoa

Postby MrBenn on Wed May 20, 2009 10:07 am

Congratulations on the stamp pamoa! Is the version of the map you posted on Apr 17th the most recent? It's looking pretty good to be honest... Do you have an update to post, or are you pretty much settled?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby pamoa on Thu May 21, 2009 11:44 am

tx
graphically I'm ready
I only have to make the large version which should be posted in a week
the xml is also ready missing only the large map coordinates
Last edited by pamoa on Wed May 27, 2009 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cadet pamoa

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu May 21, 2009 11:47 am

Did you consider stroking the paths with a 1px black (possibly low-ish opacity) stroke? It might just improve the clarity.

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby pamoa on Thu May 21, 2009 11:55 am

the.killing.44 wrote:Did you consider stroking the paths with a 1px black (possibly low-ish opacity) stroke? It might just improve the clarity.

yes I thought some solution like this but did decide to reserve it for the main road which didn't enter in gameplay
and keep a single line for the path which are attack route 2px wide and unused path 1px wide
the colour I choose is to blend in the map bg so as not to have a drawing for gameplay glued on a faded inutile bg
if you really think it is difficult to figure out the attack line I can try a darker shade (or maybe just you should increase your monitor contrast :lol: ;) )
Last edited by pamoa on Wed May 27, 2009 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cadet pamoa

Re: AUSTERLITZ [D,Gp] v05 27may2009

Postby pamoa on Wed May 27, 2009 1:04 pm

v05 new features:large map
Click image to enlarge.
Cadet pamoa

Postby MrBenn on Wed May 27, 2009 4:40 pm

Right... I'm looking at the large and small images listed at the top of the 1st post, and have the following comments/observations:

The historical text at the top of the map is incredibly difficult to read on the small map. Legibility could be improved by making the title & drawing slightly smaller; width is more of an issue than height, but you could shuffle Suchet, Engelhardt and Kellerman down a bit if you need. The descriptive text can then be made slightly larger to fit the space.

Both maps feels a bit too spaced out - there appears to be 40px of dead space at the bottom of the small map and around 60px on the large.. Is there any way you could move the bonus legend up a little bit, without losing the clarity of the Central Flank indicator? There looks to be enough room to move the Cetnral Flank indicator nearer to Alexandre, which would make it easier to move the legend up.

It may help space if you were to change Left-Central-Right Flanks to North-Central-South - that way you could have a single set of indicators on one side of the map, which would give you a bit more room to squeeze things in more comfortably; although you may not need to change it if you can fit everything in ;-)

On the legend you have Alex. & Liechten. +1... It's not clear whether you need both of them for a +1 bonus, or whether they are +1 autodeploy each (like Napoleon)

Just as an aside, have you experimented with any textures in the background? (something like this) The map looks like it should be aged, but feels too clean and modern...
show: example
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby pamoa on Fri May 29, 2009 4:11 am

MrBenn wrote:The historical text at the top of the map is incredibly difficult to read on the small map. Legibility could be improved by making the title & drawing slightly smaller; width is more of an issue than height, but you could shuffle Suchet, Engelhardt and Kellerman down a bit if you need. The descriptive text can then be made slightly larger to fit the space.

I'll try to enlarge the text a bit but it isn't really important to be able to read it in perfect condition on the small map as it is only a quote and you can read it perfectly on the large one

MrBenn wrote:Both maps feels a bit too spaced out - there appears to be 40px of dead space at the bottom of the small map and around 60px on the large.. Is there any way you could move the bonus legend up a little bit, without losing the clarity of the Central Flank indicator? There looks to be enough room to move the Cetnral Flank indicator nearer to Alexandre, which would make it easier to move the legend up.
It may help space if you were to change Left-Central-Right Flanks to North-Central-South - that way you could have a single set of indicators on one side of the map, which would give you a bit more room to squeeze things in more comfortably; although you may not need to change it if you can fit everything in

I can't see having space and air in a map as a problem
I did go until this point at the bottom of the map to have both lakes in

MrBenn wrote:On the legend you have Alex. & Liechten. +1... It's not clear whether you need both of them for a +1 bonus, or whether they are +1 autodeploy each (like Napoleon)

by not saying autodeploy it is clear it isn't like Napoléon
I think the confusion came for you from the fact you did remember the previous situation with only Alexandre getting a +1 autodeploy bonus

MrBenn wrote:Just as an aside, have you experimented with any textures in the background? The map looks like it should be aged, but feels too clean and modern...

by principle I against making look old what occur in the past only because it happens long ago
but in this case I must think about it because it darken the map which gives me a good feeling

thanks for commenting this map, there isn't a lot of people dropping in
Cadet pamoa

Postby captainwalrus on Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:24 pm

I wonder if this might get confusing if the blue player controled a lot of red or Green teritories. Perhaps you should show that, instead of what you have now, where the blue all have blue army numbers and te green all have green, ect.
I think not many people are commenting, because it is hard to find things to comment about.
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby pamoa on Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:31 am

captainwalrus wrote:I wonder if this might get confusing if the blue player controlled a lot of red or Green territories. Perhaps you should show that, instead of what you have now, where the blue all have blue army numbers and the green all have green, ect.

you mean a test with all 8 colours displayed randomly around like here under
captainwalrus wrote:I think not many people are commenting, because it is hard to find things to comment about.

that's a good sign
it means I'm ready for live ... :roll:

Click image to enlarge.
Cadet pamoa

Postby TaCktiX on Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:40 am

I think that instead of the bar look for the red/green alliance, why not have them diagonally? At first it's hard to tell that it is intentionally two colors. Diagonally could increase the relative visibility.

On the order of battle, at first I thought "oh, the 15th division", then realized there is no 15th division and you meant 15 DIVISIONS. Adding an S to the abbreviation should help.

There is no note of attack routes. It's been assumed that people will know that the brown lines are attacks. Please find some way to explicitly note this, as some moron will not figure it out.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:40 pm

Pamoa, was that last image just to test the 888s in different colours?? Have you made any other adjustments?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Blitzaholic on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:43 pm

If you could only change the name please to AUSTERBLITZ =D>

be wonderful ;)
General Blitzaholic

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:59 pm

Forgive me if I am wrong but I believe longer numbers flow to the right so it would be better to have unit symbols left of the unit numbers. Also I believe they want new maps to conform to 800x800 max for large and this is 840 wide. To be honest you could probably get away with 700x700 for large and 400x400 for the small as there is a ton of wasted space on the right side of the map. I am looking forward to playing this map tho =)

--D
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:02 pm

I was not aware that there was a new requirement for maps. I thought it was still 840px
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:02 pm

9. A map must work within the following map size restrictions:
1. SMALL MAP: WIDTH up to 630 px; HEIGHT 600 px
2. LARGE MAP: WIDTH up to 840 px ; HEIGHT 800 px.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:29 pm

AH i was sure I read 800x800 somewhere... thanx mrbenn... however I do believe you don't need to use all of that space =)
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby Danyael on Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:42 pm

pamoa wrote:
the.killing.44 wrote:Did you consider stroking the paths with a 1px black (possibly low-ish opacity) stroke? It might just improve the clarity.

yes I thought some solution like this but did decide to reserve it for the main road which didn't enter in gameplay
and keep a single line for the path which are attack route 2px wide and unused path 1px wide
the colour I choose is to blend in the map bg so as not to have a drawing for gameplay glued on a faded inutile bg
if you really think it is difficult to figure out the attack line I can try a darker shade (or maybe just you should increase your monitor contrast :lol: ;) )

i can follow the paths nicely but i think that a stroke is not necessarily the best way to way them pop out with keeping the clean look of everything

maybe try a black glow instead this will make it stick out a liittle better so you don't have to be inches from the screen

by the way Nice clean look i like it
Corporal 1st Class Danyael

Postby pamoa on Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:53 am

TaCktiX wrote:I think that instead of the bar look for the red/green alliance, why not have them diagonally? At first it's hard to tell that it is intentionally two colors. Diagonally could increase the relative visibility.

do you really think it would make any difference, maybe I'll try it

TaCktiX wrote:On the order of battle, at first I thought "oh, the 15th division", then realized there is no 15th division and you meant 15 DIVISIONS. Adding an S to the abbreviation should help.

sure you're right, I'll change it

TaCktiX wrote:There is no note of attack routes. It's been assumed that people will know that the brown lines are attacks. Please find some way to explicitly note this, as some moron will not figure it out.

does "attack line brown roads" sounds familiar... second line of the legend, maybe you need better glasses :)

MrBenn wrote:Pamoa, was that last image just to test the 888s in different colours?? Have you made any other adjustments?

yes just an answer to captainwalrus and for me the completion of xml
v06 as soon as I can but I got a lot of work so it may last a few days...

Blitzaholic wrote:If you could only change the name please to AUSTERBLITZ =D> be wonderful ;)

your just a Blitzaholic who need a good cure but I won't say it around :-$

dolomite13 wrote:AH i was sure I read 800x800 somewhere... thanx mrbenn... however I do believe you don't need to use all of that space =)

as told before
MrBenn wrote:Both maps feels a bit too spaced out - there appears to be 40px of dead space at the bottom of the small map and around 60px on the large.. Is there any way you could move the bonus legend up a little bit, without losing the clarity of the Central Flank indicator? There looks to be enough room to move the Cetnral Flank indicator nearer to Alexandre, which would make it easier to move the legend up.
It may help space if you were to change Left-Central-Right Flanks to North-Central-South - that way you could have a single set of indicators on one side of the map, which would give you a bit more room to squeeze things in more comfortably; although you may not need to change it if you can fit everything in

I can't see having space and air in a map as a problem
I did go until this point at the bottom of the map to have both lakes in

pamoa wrote:yes I thought some solution like this but did decide to reserve it for the main road which didn't enter in gameplay

Danyael wrote:i can follow the paths nicely but i think that a stroke is not necessarily the best way to way them pop out with keeping the clean look of everything
maybe try a black glow instead this will make it stick out a little better so you don't have to be inches from the screen

sorry I'm not sure to understand what you mean by trying a black glow is it around the actual brown roads
if that's it sound good to try

Danyael wrote:by the way Nice clean look i like it

thanks
Cadet pamoa

Postby Danyael on Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:09 am

pamoa wrote:
Danyael wrote:i can follow the paths nicely but i think that a stroke is not necessarily the best way to way them pop out with keeping the clean look of everything
maybe try a black glow instead this will make it stick out a little better so you don't have to be inches from the screen

sorry I'm not sure to understand what you mean by trying a black glow is it around the actual brown roads
if that's it sound good to try

yes the "actual brown road" sorry i don't know i can't tell the colour but that is what i meant
Corporal 1st Class Danyael

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas