Conquer Club

England Map [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: England Map - Update p2

Postby lozzini on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:35 pm

Try Again wrote:you could change it to make it possible

and not use counties?
Top Rank: Captain
Top Score: 1835
Top Pos: 1707
Nothing ventured... nothing gained
Sergeant 1st Class lozzini

Postby Try Again on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:57 pm

lozzini wrote:
Try Again wrote:you could change it to make it possible

and not use counties?

and what kind of borders will there be then?
Corporal Try Again

Postby oaktown on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:04 pm

you've run into a dilemma, I'd say... you don't want to pull a Brazil map and just put random walls across the country. [-X

What if instead of focusing on setting up borders to make regions easier to hold, you creating some additional system that better fit a map with such open play? For instance you could give the bonus for just holding some part of the region (see Berlin), gave a bonus for controlling a river or road that runs through a region, or gave a bonus for coupling resources (see Age of Merchants)? An entirely open map doesn't have to be bad, you just need a system that rewards strategic play rather than just brute force.

When I work on a map I need to tell myself what the time period is, because it drives what I do with the play. Is this supposed to be present-day England? If so, it might me a fight for economic/political power, rather than conventional warfare. Perhaps a map to control Parliament seats? Regional economic interests? Tourist traps?
Captain oaktown

Postby drake_259 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:19 pm

erm shouldn't London be up there whatever the case, i mean its the UKs capital, its like taking Washington of the USA map

But however after the second update, i think this map will be really popular for people to play
Corporal drake_259

Postby ZeakCytho on Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:36 pm

drake_259 wrote:erm shouldn't London be up there whatever the case, i mean its the UKs capital, its like taking Washington of the USA map

You're aware that Washington is not on the USA map, right?
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Teflon Kris on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:00 pm

I'd say add some rivers and the pennines as obstacles - this means changing the territories though.

You could then have the territories linked to urban . rural areas - e.g. London, Merseyside & Manchester, North Yorks, S&W Yorks together, E Yorks, Tyne & Wear, Tees Valley, West Midlands, East Midlands, Bristol - everywhere else could be divided as rural areas with natural obstacles. Zones could then be produced.

You could maybe also play on the n-s divide?

Extra bonus for holding the capital (n and s london)?

If I get time I might have a go at drafting it.
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby Teflon Kris on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:07 am

Further idea re. territories / regions -

Maybe regions could be based on accents - Cockney region, Brummie region, Scouse region, Manc region, Geordie region, West Country region etc. - each region could have a central urban area and outlying rural areas?
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby drake_259 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:04 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:
drake_259 wrote:erm shouldn't London be up there whatever the case, i mean its the UKs capital, its like taking Washington of the USA map

You're aware that Washington is not on the USA map, right?

well i always thought Washington on that map was on the wrong side of the country i thought Washington D.C was its own state but i guess i was wrong, but still you cant have Germany without Berlin and France without Paris
Corporal drake_259

England Map

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:03 am

I started a draft of an England map towards the end of last year, and am hoping to bring it back to life!

Before I put any serious work into updating the draft I produced before, I'd appreciate any feedback/thoughts on how the map should work... would people prefer standard (classic) gameplay, or are there any gameplay twists that could be employed to reflect our 'Green and Pleasant' land?

If you want to see a draft image, check out this thread, but please post any ideas/suggestions for the future of it in here ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: England Map

Postby SuicidalSnowman on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:19 am

For me personally, I have always felt that gameplay should reflect the map. Therefore, the bombardments from the artillery in Waterloo makes sense. For a map such as this, based off a real map, I would say the gameplay should be fairly standard, unless you want to divide Northumberland and throw Hadrians wall in.

What I think might be cool, however, is a capitals style system of either major countries or landmarks, such as "Hold Three major cities for a +1 bonus" etc.
Private SuicidalSnowman

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:25 am

How about a negative bonus for holding traditional rivals? EG if you hold Yorkshire + Lancs, you lose x per turn?
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby Balsiefen on Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:39 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:How about a negative bonus for holding traditional rivals? EG if you hold Yorkshire + Lancs, you lose x per turn?

That could get a bit messy, most neighboring counties have rivalries.

I think standard or capitals would be best, I think an England map is a really good idea.
Sergeant 1st Class Balsiefen

Location: The Ford of the Aldar in the East of the Kingdom of Lindissi

Postby Optimus Prime on Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:41 pm

Standard gameplay would be the best option for this one. I'd love to see it become a reality!
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby sailorseal on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:18 pm

I very much like the idea but can you give it something to distinguish it from British Isles? A new feature maybe? I do like the graphics though...
Cook sailorseal

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:51 am

OK, I'm still thinking about the gameplay is likely to work... At the moment I'm erring on the side of keeping it quite open.

Perhaps having bonuses for holding x number of Northern/Southern/Eastern/Western territories?

I'm tempted to abandon traditional territory deployment (ie get rid of the +1 army for every 3 terrs), and only have bonuses for holding specific groups of territories... Something like +2 for every three terrs in the same region, with an extra +2 for holding an entire region?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby sailorseal on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:59 pm

MrBenn wrote:OK, I'm still thinking about the gameplay is likely to work... At the moment I'm erring on the side of keeping it quite open.

Perhaps having bonuses for holding x number of Northern/Southern/Eastern/Western territories?

I'm tempted to abandon traditional territory deployment (ie get rid of the +1 army for every 3 terrs), and only have bonuses for holding specific groups of territories... Something like +2 for every three terrs in the same region, with an extra +2 for holding an entire region?

I like that idea, maybe also find three terrs that link and make them a bonus and stuff like that. try it see how it turns out.
Cook sailorseal

Postby MrBenn on Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:01 pm

I like the idea of a very open 'make your own bonuses' map... I also like the minimalist legend, and (relatively) simple bonus rule...

Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: England Map - Update p3

Postby LB Ninja on Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:22 pm

i like the idea... but im thinking maybe add a helicopter pad or something like it to connect the north and south because it seems to be a long map
Major LB Ninja

Postby SuicidalSnowman on Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:46 pm

Continues to look beautiful, I especially like the flag transparency background, and the green scale.

Also, make your bonuses adds just enough of a gameplay tweak to keep things interesting without being added just for the sake of having them.

Now, for a stupid question:

You get +2 for every three, and then +2 for all. Do these stack? Is East Anglia +2 for 3, +2 for 3, +2 for all? for a total of +6?

* I can't quite put my finger on it, but somehow this map just reminds me of British Isles (2) which I love, and seems to be a nice compliment. Don't know why though...
Private SuicidalSnowman

Postby MrBenn on Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:04 pm

Thanks Snowman ;-)

Yes, the bonuses do accumulate... so the total region bonuses would be as follows:

North East +2 (2 terrs)
North West +4 (4 terrs)
Yorkshire +4 (4 terrs)
West Midlands +4 (5 terrs)
East Midlands +6 (6 terrs)
East Anglia +6 (6 terrs)
Thames Valley +4 (5 terrs)
South West +6 (6 terrs)
South East +4 (5 terrs)

While the values may seem a fraction high, bear in mind that the map is incredibly open...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby sailorseal on Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:10 pm

Last time I was in England I took the train a lot. Maybe you could add some train stations and lines like in the NYC map...
Cook sailorseal

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:11 pm

sailorseal wrote:Last time I was in England I took the train a lot. Maybe you could add some train stations and lines like in the NYC map...

No, I think this would take away from the gameplay and the "make-your-own-bonus"-type.

All I gotta say, Benn, is that this map is beautiful, and sounds like a ton of fun!

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby Gilligan on Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:27 pm

Looks good, very different gameplay.

Now - what if you have no 2 territories in the same region? Do you get 0, or like City Mogul get 1?
Captain Gilligan

Postby MrBenn on Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:28 pm

Gilligan wrote:Looks good, very different gameplay.

Now - what if you have no 2 territories in the same region? Do you get 0, or like City Mogul get 1?

You'll always get at least 1 to deploy, although I'm contemplating making this 2.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby lostatlimbo on Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:13 pm

MrBenn wrote:While the values may seem a fraction high, bear in mind that the map is incredibly open...

Nice map. Maybe some of England's major rivers to break up the territories a bit?
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas