Conquer Club

Castle Lands [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Castle Lands [Quenched]

Postby pikkio on Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:38 pm

here is the map that i'm working on.

Image ImageImage Image ImageImageImage

last update (05/05/09)
Castle Land BIG (FINAL VERSION)
Click image to enlarge.

Castle Land Small (FINAL VERSION)
Click image to enlarge.

XML ---> Click Here ----> NEW VERSION! (Modifications: Bridges will start with +2 neutral. 8 starting positions: Desert Tower, Mountain Tower, Forest Tower, Field Tower, Marquess, Knight, Earl, Bishop)

Version 9.1 Starting Position (red=players start || white=Starting Neutral || The Courts are starting position distribuited to all players equally)
Click image to enlarge.

Version 9.1 BIG (on page 18)
Click Here
Version 9.1 Small (on page 18)
Click Here
Version 8.9 BIG (on page 16)
Click Here
Version 8.9 SMALL (on page 15)
Click Here
Version 8.8 with starting positions (on page 14)
Click Here
Version 8.5 (on page 12)
Click Here
version 8.4 (on page 10)
Click Here
version 8.1 (on page 8 ).
Click Here
version 7.2
click here
version 7:
click here
version 4:
Click Here
first version
:
Click Here

TERRITORIES: 42
COUNTRY bonus: 7+3

TO DO:
xml --> done and checked

Developers:
Pikkio (Graphics and Idea)
Thenobodies80 (XML)

The idea is to create a map where there are some country that are very hard to defend, cause they have many territories with borders near other country (like the Court), or cause there are many territories can assault it (like castle and towers). In this map also the bridges have a strategical role cause from it you can easilly defend the Courts.

The other important thing is that the towers and catapults with the same colored flag can bombard each other (ex. Field Tower <-> Rye)

So, go on with critics and suggestion and help me to improve this map! ^_^
Last edited by thenobodies80 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 109 times in total.
Reason: Edited to update the catapults towers bombardments wording.
Sergeant 1st Class pikkio

Re: Castle Map

Postby White Moose on Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:57 pm

Nice looking map.

You should increase the bonuses around the Castle with +1 for each, becuase it's quite a lot of regions to take to get for example the Mountains bonus which is just a +2. Though its easy to defend.

The courts bonus should be increased, since its really hard to hold, and +5 doest make it that worth getting.

Just my 2 cents, use it or not :)
Highest Score: 3374
Major White Moose

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:19 am

White Moose wrote:Nice looking map.

You should increase the bonuses around the Castle with +1 for each, becuase it's quite a lot of regions to take to get for example the Mountains bonus which is just a +2. Though its easy to defend.

The courts bonus should be increased, since its really hard to hold, and +5 doest make it that worth getting.

Just my 2 cents, use it or not :)

Complitely agree with this opinion
Castle have 8 courts and 4 tower against him, with a +1 bonus you have to put all your armies here to defend it.
Thenobodies80
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:45 am

try to create some mountains borders! or try to give a little square to the map.
White color on side is horrible to see, cover it!
Thenobodies80

Re: Castle Map [updated 6th of november]

Postby pikkio on Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:02 pm

i changed the bonuses, it's better now? ^_^

and i changed something in the territories dislocation so now there's a little more tactics. in the next upgrade i will try to put some invalicable borders.

i modified the background and some other details to improve the beauty of the map, do you like it? ^_^

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:05 am

Well done.
Take a look to this post http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=241&t=52220
Similar to your one.
Thenobodies80

Postby pikkio on Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:24 am

that map it's not very similar, in my opinion.. the concept and the strategies are too different.. and it seems too caotic.. only the idea of using a castle it's similar.. :P

i saw another castle map yesterday, but now i don't find it, more similar than yours, but in that map there isn't the basic ideas like mine. the castle is a pretext to give me the possiblity to create a map with country like the Courts or the Castle. ;)

Postby Juan_Bottom on Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:27 pm

I would move the castle walls out further, the towers don't look like they are part of the castle.
What about putting a door on the castle, ans the only way in?
And maybe allowing the towers to bombard the map?
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:33 am

Juan_Bottom wrote:I would move the castle walls out further, the towers don't look like they are part of the castle.

I like the ideas of a only way in!
I like the bombardament.
i think you should make the castle bigger and structurated.
In this way your map is too similar with feudal war.... ;)

Postby pikkio on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:54 am

thenobodies80 wrote:
Juan_Bottom wrote:I would move the castle walls out further, the towers don't look like they are part of the castle.

I like the ideas of a only way in!
I like the bombardament.
i think you should make the castle bigger and structurated.
In this way your map is too similar with feudal war.... ;)

yes, but if i make the castle bigger and structurated the map become similar to Siege map.. :P

but i like the idea of the tower bombardament. i will implement it in the next upgrade. the problem is that i have some trouble with my pc (did you ear about the AVG false positive user32.dll?) and i cannot use my graphic programs.. but i hope that in a few days i will update the map. ^_^

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:57 am

yes, but if i make the castle bigger and structurated the map become similar to Siege map.. :P

but i like the idea of the tower bombardament. i will implement it in the next upgrade. the problem is that i have some trouble with my pc (did you ear about the AVG false positive user32.dll?) and i cannot use my graphic programs.. but i hope that in a few days i will update the map. ^_^[/quote]

your fix tool:

http://www.avg.com/support

hot topics 1575 False positive "user32.dll" - fix tool

or this:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/avg-f ... tore-tool/

or this

http://www.italiasw.com/avg-cancella-pe ... a-windows/ QUESTO Ć© IN ITALIANO!!!!

Waiting to see your next update

Re: Castle Map [updated 12 of november]

Postby pikkio on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:41 am

thanx! i had just solve the problem! ;)

so, the towers are more in the castle and i put the rules that the towers can bombard all territories, but can conquer only the ones that are adjacent. what you think about?

Re: Castle Map [updated 12 of november]

Postby captainwalrus on Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:12 pm

The towers are too good. In order to hold a reagion you need to fortify every space beacuse the towers can hit every space.If you add some cannons or tribuchets in each corner that can bombard the castle and towers then It could counter the towers and not make it so hard to hold the outer regions.
Or you could make it so each tower can only bombard the outer reagion in the same quadraint as it.
for example the bottom right tower can only bombard the mountains.
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Re: Castle Map [updated 14 of november]

Postby pikkio on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:43 pm

the towers can bombard (attack and destroy the army) but not conquer all the territories. from the tower you can conquer only the adjacent, so you don't need to fortify all the territories not adjacent at an enemy territory, cause the towers can lower them to 0 army but they still remain yours. ;)

but i really liked your idea and i put one catapult per outer country. from each territory with the catapult you can bombard the towers and the Castle (but not conquer them).

this thing togheter with the special power of the towers, will offer many strategical possibilities, i think, expecially in the team games but also in the single player mode.

thanx at all for the good suggests!! ^_^

Re: Castle Map [updated 14 of november]

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:53 am

pikkio wrote:the towers can bombard (attack and destroy the army) but not conquer all the territories. from the tower you can conquer only the adjacent, so you don't need to fortify all the territories not adjacent at an enemy territory, cause the towers can lower them to 0 army but they still remain yours. ;)

but i really liked your idea and i put one catapult per outer country. from each territory with the catapult you can bombard the towers and the Castle (but not conquer them).

this thing togheter with the special power of the towers, will offer many strategical possibilities, i think, expecially in the team games but also in the single player mode.

thanx at all for the good suggests!! ^_^

i think you have to fix something...
    1. If you decide to bombard with tower you can't conquer this territory, but when it comes to 0 armies, it becomes 1 neutral army on the map and so tower can broke bonuses.
    First of all, you have to restrict the catapultes use.
    I think that catapult on the Plain7 can bombards only the tower2 , and so the same for others catapults.
    Towers have the same problems...in this way i think you can't take a bonus in your games!
    Remind this: bombardments are not like attack!If you take a good bombardment the territory will be neutral and not yours! like in berlin 1961 map ( Berlin 1961 ).I think that for example the tower2 can bombards only the Plains 2,7,6.
    An easy way to resolve it is to put catapults an indipendent territory ( with no bonus or a negative bonus ( like a turn's arrow neutral attack) and make it not so easy to defend.

2. You can use some fosses in other ways...try to make it in a impassable way from out to in, but an easy way to attack the outside world.
    In my opinion some fosses can have a passage, a sort of drawbridges.This can create some good siege tactics. E.g. 8 fosses : 4 with a only one way attack (from in to out) and 4 with a bridge.

3. Try to make the outer territories, like mountain3, more useful. I think some like an extra +1 bonus, sounds like a camp or a rearguard.
Thenobodies80

Re: Castle Map [updated 22 of november]

Postby pikkio on Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:15 pm

i don't know if i understand all that you say, but i put an update of the map.

Now the Tower can bombard only the 5 territories adjacent the fosses and in the same quadrant (example: Tower4 can bombard Mountain 1-5-6 and Court 7-8 but can conquer only the Courts) and the catapults can bombard only the tower in the same quadrant (example: Mountain 6 can bombard only Tower 4).
How you explaned (sorry but i didn't know it..), with the bombardaments you cannot conquer the territory but if its army go to 0 it becomes 1 neutral army.

I also put 4 bridges in the map. From the bridge, the insider territory can attack the outsider, and vice versa, and the fosse can attack insider and outsider and vice versa. (example: Court 1 can attack desert 6 and vice-versa, and Fosse 8 can attack Desert 6 and Court 1 and vice-versa)

The other Fosses can be assaulted only from the Courts (and the adjacent fosses), but can attack adjacent insider and outsider territories. For this reason i raised the Fosses' bonus to 7, but not to 8 (thanx to its particular advantage versus the outsider territories).

It's ok or i did some mistakes? ^_^

Re: Castle Map [updated 22 of november]

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:28 pm

good choices!
well done, now i think you have to put a graphical work.
Try to make the map nice and coloured with playable colours!
And try to put the fight circles ( the place where you can read the number of armies you have in a territory )

Put a number version in the title.
Put all creators name in the first post ( if you will make all your work alone this is not necessary ).

Re: Castle Map (updated 11-24 with new graphics)

Postby pikkio on Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:58 am

I made some correction on the colours and graphics. more coming soon. ;)

Re: Castle Map (updated 11-26 with fixed graphic)

Postby pikkio on Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:19 pm

ok. i fixed the graphic. it's ok now? :D
now i will make a smaller map and a army test image. ;)

Re: Castle Map 3.0 (updated 11-26 with fixed graphic)

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:53 am

the border is a good choice.
I think you have to set a some graphical issues to create a realistic map.
Like forest on the high right corner, etc, etc....
But now it' s a good map.
Well done
About my work, territories positions are definitive?
Thenobodies80

Re: Castle Map 3.1 (updated 11-27 with graphic details)

Postby pikkio on Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:25 pm

ok. now i really do my best and i don't know how i can improve more the graphic or the gameplay.

so, thenobodies, let make the xml and meanwhile i will make the test version and the smaller version. ;)

Re: Castle Map 3.1 (updated 11-28: example army and small map)

Postby pikkio on Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:30 am

i relased the small version and i also made the example image with the army.

let's tell me what do you think about! ^_^

Postby yeti_c on Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:33 am

A real castle would have defences on the bridge territories - as they are the only point of access to the castle - these choke points would be defended by Gate houses...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby SuicidalSnowman on Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:58 am

Looks interesting!
Private SuicidalSnowman

Re: Castle Map (updated 12-6: vote a change in gameplay)

Postby pikkio on Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:34 pm

i made a version 4 with some substantial change on gameplay.

the fosse is only an aesthetic border and the bridges are territories. each bridge give +1 bonus per round to the owner. in this mode the Courts are more defendible if you own a bridge, and the bridges become very strategical territories.

for now i put some example bonuses, but i need your help to fix them. ;)

i can't put a pool to vote which version you prefer, so please tell me with a post if you think that is better to work on version 4 or continue with version 3.1.

Next

Return to The Atlas