Conquer Club

British Isles [Done]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby DublinDoogey on Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:27 pm

you've made a really cool map! I agree with grim, that the first version would be more interesting, quicker play and whatnot.

I don't know too much about the technical bits, but I my opinion having exactly 42 countries isn't the most important part of a map. Anyway, good luck finishing it, can't wait to play it :)
Private DublinDoogey

Postby Nobunaga on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:57 am

... Thank you, Gentlemen, for all your input. I moved borders, nudged region names out of the way, and I edited it to what it might look like if this map were ever played at Conquer Club.

... I am yet unsure about the borders of Wales & Ireland, and the Continent bonuses will depend, in part, on those borders, thus that portion is yet incomplete

... Opinions and criticisms are very welcome.
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby IthicaBMX on Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:22 am

it looks great the only thing i could complain about is it needs some buffers like the mountains inmiddle east and asia the boad is jut to sweepable
Cadet IthicaBMX

Postby supermarcol on Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:26 am

North, south england and wales look like they have way too much access points. Its just my opinion but I think that would make the map too hard. If there are some rivers or mountains you can use, you really need to put them in. If there is no such thing, I think you'll have to add some artificial barrier. Other than that its very good.
-SuperMarcol
Sergeant 1st Class supermarcol

Postby HighBorn on Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:27 am

i agree ith there needs to be some mounains or rivers.. dont really know if there is that in gb but hell
Private 1st Class HighBorn

Postby Nobunaga on Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:49 am

..... Hmmmmm.... I was thinking about adding Hadrian's Wall, much like the Great Wall on the Asian map... But that would only block attacks from Scotland into North England...

.... I'll start thinking on it.

Postby HighBorn on Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:59 am

sounds good bro.. your doing a great job its my second fav out of all of them so far....

Postby Nobunaga on Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:42 am

... OK, we've got mountains. We've got walls (one true to fact and one geographically severley south of its home). We had trees, but the map is already a bit cluttered, so I ditched them, for now.

.... Worry not, I'll work ion the graphic quality of those "walls". This is yet in the "figuring borders and bonuses" stage.

... BTW, Hadrian's Wall completely blocks attacks into North England, except by way of the Isle of Man. The Antonine Wall allows one-way attacks from South England to North England.

Postby HighBorn on Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:45 am

now that looks pimp... i want to play it now...lol

Postby Nobunaga on Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:25 am

.... This is about the best I can do.

Postby Marvaddin on Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:11 am

Wow, the graphics are very good... Dont forget of cut off that great empty space in the right side of the map.

One little "problem": 4 of the 3 border countries of South England are with Lands End; the minor continent will be simply a province of South England. The player can hold two continents and have only one frontier, I mean... and get two bonuses. Wales will be a province, too. That Antonine Wall makes South England too easy to hold, for a gigantic continent. And is very easy attack Wales and North England from there, because taking 4 continents you have only 2 borders :shock: In my opinion, South England needs at least one more border with North England, maybe you can then block route between Wiltshire / Sussex.

Lets discuss the bonuses:
(continent - # countries - # border countries - # routes from other conts)

South England: 11 - 4 (3 with Lands End!!) - 3 (bonus: 6, if you change the borders)

North England: 7 - 3 - 4 (bonus: 4)

Lands End: 4 - 1 - 3 (bonus: 2)

Wales: 5 - 2 - 2 (bonus: 2, maybe 3)

Scotland: 8 - 3 - 5 (Can Cumberland attack Borders? I didnt count it... - bonus: 5)

Ireland: 7 - 3 - 3 (bonus: 4)
Major Marvaddin

Postby Nobunaga on Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:01 am

1. We lost the Antonine Wall (in reality, it's in northern Scotland anyway), which opens S. England to attacks from Yorkshire in N. England.

2. The mountains that made Powys the only entry into Wales from the mainland are gone. N. England now has access to Wales (and vice versa) as well.

3. Mysteriously, overnight, a mountain range sprung up between Sussex and Wiltshire. :wink: This cuts the attack routes into Land's End from S. England by one and....

4. Dorset, in Land's End, is accessible via Gwent, in Wales. This was done to further open up Land's End, to prevent it from being nothing but a "province" of S. England. (That was a good call, Marvaddin).

... Keep those ideas/opinions coming! (I'll fill in the continent bonuses once we get a concensus).

Postby SprCobra on Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:24 am

Hadrians wall?
nice i wonder why the romans didnt come into scotland
this would be a good map i wonder what area i would take first,at least my country is easy to control for english players good luck with controling your land youll need it
Cadet SprCobra

Postby max is gr8 on Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:10 am

I just want to go back to the first map a second maybe lack could make it 3 or 4 player only as it was a very good map but not enough countries
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

let me play already

Postby hotgun on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:31 pm

LET ME PLAY ALREADY... Good job man... ok for how many men you get for holding it...
For N.England:4
For S.England:6
For Land's End:2
For Wales:3
For Scotland:3
For Ireland:4

LACK I WANT THIS MAP... IT IS SWEET
Corporal 1st Class hotgun

Postby max is gr8 on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:33 pm

Wait maybe you can add the pennines they are important (mainly as i live near them)
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby johnnyrotten on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:38 pm

Nobunaga wrote:3. Mysteriously, overnight, a mountain range sprung up between Sussex and Wiltshire. :wink: This cuts the attack routes into Land's End from S. England by one and....

I suppose you could change that mysterious mountain range into the New Forest, instead...
Sergeant johnnyrotten

Postby thegrimsleeper on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:50 pm

A forest!! Heck yes! I really like the mountains, did you freehand them, or rip them off of something? They're awesome. I'd like to see a much darker brown as well as the tan you used, in the interest of contrast in Scotland. The wall reminds me of AoE.... ;)

If you do forests, how about one seperating Yorkshire from Lincolnshire?

I love watching this map develop. It's coming along so nicely, and you are very dilligent about working on it! While I'm here, I'll throw my tuppence in regarding the bonuses.

Scotland: 8 countries/2 borders........bonus=4
Ireland: 7 countries/3 borders..........bonus=3
Wales: 5 countries/4 borders............bonus=4
North : 7 countries/3 borders............bonus=5
South : 11 countries/5 borders..........bonus=6
Land's End : 4 countries/2 broders.....bonus=2
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby Nobunaga on Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:52 pm

... As for mountains and what not, they are freehand, but I use models from other sources for inspiration. I am creative (I like to think) but better artists than I give me very good ideas.

... I wouldn't cut and paste anything here, as I hope this map will one day be used, and well, that would just be theft! haha! The wall towers were a bear, I can tell you. Tan with grey highlights and a touch of brown... took me 2 hours!

.... New Forest? I have trees.... I'll see what I can come up with.

Postby Marvaddin on Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:25 pm

I think forests arent a good idea. They are not so good obstacles in real life.

And, there is nothing wrong in Lands End being a province of South England, like Oceania is a province of Asia. The problem was, South England was very easy to hold, for the biggest continent. And Wales has again 4 border countries. Those mountains between Gwent and Shropshire are now useless, because the two countries are in the borders anyway. If you want another route to Lands End, how about between Cork and Cornwall?

Wow, I think this map is almost perfect :wink:
Major Marvaddin

Postby HighBorn on Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:45 am

i really really want to see this and europe map on this sight very soon..

Postby SprCobra on Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:00 pm

I want the joy of invading englang from scotland
dream come true :twisted:
Cadet SprCobra

Postby Pedronicus on Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:18 pm

Add the Severn Bridge to make Lands end more attackable
Major Pedronicus

Postby Pedronicus on Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:23 pm

the Hebrides should be attached by 2 routes to scotland (Like Japan in the world game0
Major Pedronicus

Postby Pedronicus on Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:30 pm

I like this map lots.

If your having trouble fitting counties names in the areas use the abreviations like oxon for oxfordshire
Major Pedronicus

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas