Conquer Club

WWII:Poland [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: WWII:Poland [Beta]

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:07 pm

MrBenn wrote:
Evil DIMwit wrote:
MrBenn wrote:Can the panes bombard the PAF? That would be some sort of solution.... so that armies on the planes could at least be of some use....

Assault would be better than bombard here. It solves the problem of giving the planes some kind of egress, and even gives the planebound player a shot at retaking a general and getting back on their feet.

Except then the PAF becomes even more accessible than through the tanks :-k

Okay, then, why not cut out the middleman and let planes assault adjacent generals? It'd make the PAF relatively less valued, and give players more reason to be careful about their nests.
(Though, you'd want to reconfigure the northeast so that no general can assault a plane that can reach another general directly.)
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby nippersean on Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:30 pm

I'd be very careful about making the planes all powerful. In a few of these cases no-one would ever go for a tank.
Or if they can assault generals direct wouldn't you just go plane - general - plane and the PAF would be out of the game.

May I ask these are solutions to which problem? Is it perceived that the planes are too weak?

Do the strategy's employed in the games bear this out - i.e. no-one goes for the planes? Or am I the only one?

*Edit - just had a v quick look.
Obviously not e.g. Game 6027246 - only 1 tank attacked, yet 6 planes.....
Brigadier nippersean

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:11 pm

Personally I don't think that planes are a problem.
And make the mistake of putting your troops on planes isn't a valid reason to change the gameplay .... if you change what the planes can bombard / attack you will totally change the map. [-(
Maybe planes couldn't be very useful in 1vs1 (just a quick bonus), but in 4+ players games they could be used with a strategic purpose.
With this map you have only to remember a thing: Don't move all your armies on a plane.
Nothing else.
I think that the map is almost perfect, the only thing that i would suggest is to increase the neutral starting value of PAF to make games a bit more longer.

Well done samuel! =D>
One of my favourite maps

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby neanderpaul14 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:56 am

The map is fine just the way it is. IMO
High score: 2724
/#163 on scoreboard/COLONEL
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby Captain_Scarlet on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:03 am

the.killing.44 wrote:
samuelc812 wrote:Then what would you suggest .44, we just leave it ?

~Sam

Precisely.

=D> =D> =D>
Sergeant 1st Class Captain_Scarlet

Postby natty dread on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:01 am

I'd also suggest increasing the neutrals on PAF. Every game I've played has just been a speed race to the PAF.. who can get there the fastest and hold it with enough troops. It would be nice if the other strategical elements of the game would come into play, instead of just a "let's see who has the best dice and best drop to get to that 1 territory to pwn everyone else, game over".
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby nippersean on Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:29 am

neanderpaul14 wrote:The map is fine just the way it is. IMO

I agree (again) so that's a few of us then....I could possibly see the argument for 1 more neutral on PAF, though I don't think it requires it.
The map plays fine and is good fun.
A lot of the complaints here appear to be bad tactics / inability to read the legend....err that's it.

I think that if people keep rushing the PAF hoping for "awesome dice" to win, they could try adjusting their strategy using the other features on the map to get better results.
Brigadier nippersean

Postby MrBenn on Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:24 pm

I propose going for an extra neutral or two on the PAF, and see how things go from there?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby samuelc812 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:02 pm

Ok that sounds good, i agree that the gameplay is fine as is, and if you change the function of the planes it will change the gameplay, which isn't ideal. People like the gameplay as is and frankly so do i. I do believe 1 extra neutral on the P.A.F. will do the gameplay good, so we'll just do that for now and see how it goes ;) If people think it requires another after that then we can do that later on ;)

I'll get the new XML up asap :)

~Sam
Captain samuelc812

Postby neanderpaul14 on Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:05 am

neanderpaul14 wrote:The map is fine just the way it is. IMO

I agree with this guy. :P
High score: 2724
/#163 on scoreboard/COLONEL
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby OlJock99 on Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:19 pm

Fun map. Only comment is on the tank bonus. Personally, I think that 4 armies for 3 tanks is high. Something like 2 armies for 3 tanks, or 4 for 4, would be better. Just my $0.02. Enjoying the map!
Major OlJock99

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:23 pm

OlJock99 wrote:Fun map. Only comment is on the tank bonus. Personally, I think that 4 armies for 3 tanks is high. Something like 2 armies for 3 tanks, or 4 for 4, would be better. Just my $0.02. Enjoying the map!

You have to take 12 neutralsā€¦it's fine as is.
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby OlJock99 on Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:28 pm

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:23 pm

OlJock99 wrote:Fun map. Only comment is on the tank bonus. Personally, I think that 4 armies for 3 tanks is high. Something like 2 armies for 3 tanks, or 4 for 4, would be better. Just my $0.02. Enjoying the map!

You have to take 12 neutralsā€¦it's fine as is.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. 8-)
Major OlJock99

Postby ICAN on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:40 pm

played this a few times, won my share, have positive points on it.
that said, this is the worst map around.
The strategy is lame: wait untill you have 100 plus armies and hope for good dice when you rush PAF.
Probably not popular, but my opinion.
Major ICAN

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:44 pm

ICAN wrote:played this a few times, won my share, have positive points on it.
that said, this is the worst map around.
The strategy is lame: wait untill you have 100 plus armies and hope for good dice when you rush PAF.
Probably not popular, but my opinion.

a) well, uh, that's a pretty bad strategy, but suit yourself. While you're building I'm killing you
b) that's also the description of AoR 1, 2, 3, somewhat Feudal, and also New World
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby jleonnn on Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:31 pm

play fog of war...i don't wait until 100 to go in fow. and aor1 is worse. I had to wait until i had 300 troops one time... Game 5583160: this one lasted 28 rounds but it is still fun
Major jleonnn

Postby jleonnn on Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:36 pm

natty_dread wrote:I'd also suggest increasing the neutrals on PAF. Every game I've played has just been a speed race to the PAF.. who can get there the fastest and hold it with enough troops. It would be nice if the other strategical elements of the game would come into play, instead of just a "let's see who has the best dice and best drop to get to that 1 territory to pwn everyone else, game over".

Actually, it's kind of a gamble. If you try to hold P.A.F. on the first round, you might succeed. However, even if u do, u might not have enough armies, and then the other guy comes in. if you r worried someone might get it the first round, make it freestyle. Be wise, that rush to paf strategy is a huge gamble, and my opponents won with it only 3 times. The real strategy is to build up till the other guy comes to paf, he'll need to pop 10 nuetrals to get there, you should win, theoratically
Major jleonnn

WW2 Poland beta map

Postby josh_butler on Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:45 pm

In the ww2 poland map if all you are left with is planes, you can only bombard and never actually take any territories, so your essentially left there to annoy people and slowly die.

there should be a way for you to gain territories with the planes so that this doesnt happen.

in game 5975535 this has actually happened. TO ME!!!

thanks
josh butler
Sergeant josh_butler

Re: WW2 Poland beta map

Postby samuelc812 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:53 pm

Concerns about Maps should be posted in the Maps Development thread --> WWII Poland

I've merged this with that thread ;)

~Sam
Captain samuelc812

Re: WW2 Poland beta map

Postby 72o on Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:53 pm

josh_butler wrote:In the ww2 poland map if all you are left with is planes, you can only bombard and never actually take any territories, so your essentially left there to annoy people and slowly die.

there should be a way for you to gain territories with the planes so that this doesnt happen.

in Game 5975535 this has actually happened. TO ME!!!

thanks
josh butler

While that does suck, it's the same with lots of other maps. Technically you could bombard them to death - if you annihilated everyone else in the game, you would win. I've won a waterloo game that way when I had no regular territories left, only artillery.

With poland, since you can only bombard tanks, you're pretty much SOL. That will keep you from advancing all your troops onto the planes from now on when you play that map. :D

I am in a Battle of Iraq game where I've had nothing but a few city loyalties for about 5 rounds. I will never be able to attack anything, so I'm just waiting to die.

Wait till you are in a game with killer neutrals, and your opponent takes all of your territories except for the one that gets wiped out by neutrals at the start of your turn. Game 5819581
Sergeant 72o

Postby samuelc812 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:30 am

http://h1.ripway.com/samuelc812/Poland.xml

Updated the XML

The P.A.F. will now have 7 neutrals ;)

~Sam
Captain samuelc812

Postby MrBenn on Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:08 am

samuelc812 wrote:http://h1.ripway.com/samuelc812/Poland.xml

Updated the XML

The P.A.F. will now have 7 neutrals ;)

~Sam

Update sent to lackattack...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Incandenza on Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:21 am

ManBungalow wrote:The 1-round kills are my only main concern for this map.
(Game 5965434
Game 5919165).
Maybe the PAF could start with 7 or even 8 neutrals?

In auto deploy, it's a 1.9% chance to pull off... that's pretty small. 7% in manual deploy, that's a bit more troubling.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby MrBenn on Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:09 pm

The PAF now starts with 7 neutrals. (Games started prior to the update will not be affected).
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Mr_Adams on Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:03 pm

Could you make the army numbers pop more in the Soviet Union? If you are playing as red, they have a tendency to get lost in the background.
Captain Mr_Adams

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas