Conquer Club

WWII:Poland [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: WWII: The Invasion of Poland -V4- 7/2/09

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:32 am

Great map, looks a good future addition to CC foundry.

TITLE,FONTS, SYMBOLS & COLORS

The title seems good and appropiate, remember some games i've played on WWII.
Fonts are good, simple and clear.
About symbols:

Germany: you could use the symbol .44 suggested you here
Russia: you used the correct symbol, but this create a strange effect. You could try to remove only the little star on it, so you can center the symbol in the circle.I don't think there's a problem to understand that is the russian army.
Airplanes: I don't like them very much, but it's only for a personal choice. ;)
Colors are good
Author's name: probably you can choice a better position. But in my opinion is clear that this name don't indicate a territory.

LEGEND

the legend is correct developed but you lost some dates in this update:

i see this version: http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s237 ... landV1.jpg, you added a good description of territories names.
What means NG02?, where can i find the answer now? :?
I don't like the smoking hole on the right, probably could be better.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For me this map is ready for main foundry.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Qwert on Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:36 pm

I must say that Symbol what Map maker use is not glorify a nazi germany, these present Invasion of Poland in year 1939, so i dont understand why you want to censured that? I see in many maps in google,and then in many films,ofcourse in PC games to(call of duty)( who show history) that use of German flag is not forbiden to use, so i dont understand why you not alove that? How will some war move look if you not use German Flags(expecialy if you have some scene of German HQ). These will be quite strange to censored.
Im also whas use Flag in mine maps and also use Symbol of Wermacht.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby MrBenn on Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:49 pm

The argument for/against the use of the swastika should probably take place in another thread... For now, I completely understand and sympathise with the historical reasons for using it - I just happen to think that it would be more sensitive to use something different. Having said that, I am awaiting confirmation of site policy in relation to it, so until that happens, the discussion is a moot point.

I would much rather discussion was focused on the map, rather than the merits (or otherwise) of the swastika.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby porkenbeans on Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:09 pm

I like everything about this map. From its layout, to its graphics, to its historical significance.
I only have one suggestion to make it better. The outside border is great, but it needs to be darkened so as to contrast it more from the map. If you notice it blends in with Russia to much, and looses the overall border effect. I would make it a dark "blood" shade of red. You can also lighten the interior a tad to help achieve the contrast that I am talking about.

Super nice map. I am looking forward to playing on it. :D
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:14 am

Hey sam, great job on this. I'm just going to spew comments out ;) :
  1. I agree with pork on the fact you should make the outline a dark red, but still keep that foggy-ness over it. It looks very nice. And keep the arrows the way they are. The gradient is a good feel as well.
  2. I like the bullet-ripped hole, but I think it should look more like a bullet hole and less like someone punched something into it.
    show: Example Image
  3. I would experiment with using a light-gray or white text over the German black background. I know it might disrupt the uniformity of it all but it would probably read better lighter.
    Other than that I have no quarrel with the graphics right now … nicely done.
    Gameplay :-s I don't see glaring flaw … yet 8-[
    [/list]
Confucius say: Draft stamp come soon.

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby MrBenn on Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:01 pm

Further to the swastika debate, I have had confirmation that the symbol should not be used on any CC maps. This represents official CC policy, and is not open to negotiation. Please use the German cross instead.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby samuelc812 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:52 pm

MrBenn wrote:Further to the swastika debate, I have had confirmation that the symbol should not be used on any CC maps. This represents official CC policy, and is not open to negotiation. Please use the German cross instead.

Not a problem MrBenn ;)
Captain samuelc812

Postby MrBenn on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:17 pm

Sam - As soon as you've provided an update, I expect the map will be ready to move into the foundry proper ;-)
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby samuelc812 on Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:27 pm

Well here's an update :)

Changes:
  • Changed Swastika to German Cross
  • Made Soviet Union a brighter but almost orangy red
  • Each Commander now only has access to 1 Tank and 1 Airplane
  • Improved Bullethole in header

To-Do:
  • Fix up border
  • Address any gameplay concerns

Version 5
Click image to enlarge.
Captain samuelc812

Re: WWII: The Invasion of Poland -V5- 18/3/09

Postby MrBenn on Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:33 pm

Nice job ;-)

Welcome to the Foundry proper... Onwards and Upwards!
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: WWII:Poland [D] -V5- 18/3/09

Postby bryguy on Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:01 pm

This is a wonderful piece of work, Great Job Sam!! =D>

Congratz on making it to the foundry!
Corporal bryguy

Postby iancanton on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:20 pm

looking very good indeed! i suggest that the non-important territories start with only one neutral, otherwise they're doomed to remain neutral throughout every game.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby samuelc812 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:10 pm

iancanton wrote:looking very good indeed! i suggest that the non-important territories start with only one neutral, otherwise they're doomed to remain neutral throughout every game.

ian. :)

Good Idea :)

Thanks ian i've put it on my private list of To-Do's :)
Captain samuelc812

Re: WWII:Poland [D] -V5- 18/3/09 - Gameplay

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:41 pm

your arrows look a little pixelated on the edges, i would just fix that
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby daydream on Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:56 am

porkenbeans wrote:This is a map of 1940. Why on Earth would we want to saddle today's Germany with that designation. But on the other hand, They must not be allowed to pretend that it did not happen, or erase from history, what they did. We owe more than that, to the victims, and fallen soldiers of that bloody time.
The Germany of today is a tad embarrassed of what they did, and I can understand why they would want to sweep it in under the carpet. And so it is very understandable why in Germany, it is against he law to display that flag. This is not an attempt to respect the countless souls that found their mortality in the Gas-Chambers.

It is an attempt to make us all forget.

We are not Germany. We are not bound by their self-serving laws. If the powers that be at CC really want to show proper respect, I would lobby for the side that won. Not the side that wishes to make us forget.

I would also lobby for a tag to be included on this map, that somehow explains the intended respect that CC promotes in this map.

dont talk about things you have no idea about. noone in germany is trying to forget anything. quite the opposite in fact.
Lieutenant daydream

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:40 am

porkenbeans wrote:Besides, it helps to remind folks of just what the USA did to that flag.
We tore it down, stomped it with our big boot, and then pissed on it for good measure.
The countries of the world need to be reminded of this more, not less often. :D

Errr...I guess you mean Great Britain?

When Germany invaded Poland the USA was neutral, and it would be two long years before the Americans entered the war leaving Great Britain to do it alone.

Great Britain lost its Empire to defend Europe while America became a super power. Also I seriously doubt Germany would have lost the war were it not for the USSR attacking it from the East after the Germans broke the pact.

On the swastika issue...I guess we should abide with the rules issued by the CC admin, although I am sure most people don't find it offensive in any way. It's part of history now.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Qwert on Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:32 pm

I must say that you with all these restriction for swastika,present flag of German from WWI,
These is apsurd,and i hope that you fix these very big mistake.
You put correct flags of USSR Slovak republic,and Polish Republic.
These is historical map,and i dont see why now you must create incorect Things on these map? Im from Serbia and mine country lost 1,5 milion people in WWII, but when i create maps with WWII themes, i realised that these is historical maps,and that things must be correct, othervise will be pointles to create any Historical maps from WWII,when you are restricted to use any symbols from german side. Map maker attempt its not to glorify Germany.Dont forget USSR whas Ally of Germany in Attack on Poland.
I have one detail-in Kragujevac Germans kill 7000 people,but after war they shoot movie for these event and use German flags.
Everybody knows that Germans not create swastica symbol.Even i whas supprised that Arheologicall place in Serbia(vrsac-middle bronze age),have in museum,Artifacts and figures with Swastica(from 2000-1500 BC)
Last edited by Qwert on Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby nagerous on Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:41 pm

It seems daft that you can't post the swastika on this map, when Stalin's image was going to be the backdrop for the present Soviet Union flag for a very long time, until it was pioneered that it should be changed to Lenin and not Stalin. If Stalin was going to have his face on CC maps then why can't the swastika be used?

Besides that, keep up the good work, I originally started reading the thread because I very much like the look of this map.
Also, the sentence in the top right hand corner is gramatically incorrect, it should either say 'This was soon followed by the' or 'Soon followed the' or just put it all in one sentence and remove the full stop.
Captain nagerous

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:27 pm

This map can be a great one without the use of a Swastika. If it not having one will keep you from enjoying this map fully, you need to rethink your outlook on things. :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby nagerous on Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:01 pm

It's true. I am a disturbed individual.
Captain nagerous

Postby Qwert on Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:24 pm

by AndyDufresne » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:27 pm

This map can be a great one without the use of a Swastika. If it not having one will keep you from enjoying this map fully, you need to rethink your outlook on things.

Im confused? You want to tell that its ok to use flag of German Empire instead to use flag of German Reich?
Well these is not mine map, and its good that i dont have these censure, otherwise i will abandoned all mine project who covers WWII campaing. I will newer create something what is wrong. Well these is mine last post in these topic.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Teflon Kris on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:08 am

If we are going to ban the german flag then we should ban the american one - they have killed more innocent people historically (and in recent memory need I remind you).
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby nagerous on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:39 am

DJ Teflon wrote:If we are going to ban the german flag then we should ban the american one - they have killed more innocent people historically (and in recent memory need I remind you).

They didn't exactly organise a mass genocide though :roll:
Captain nagerous

Postby samuelc812 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:46 am

Please guys if you're going to post in this thread, gameplay is the topic being discussed.

It has already been established that the Swastika will NOT be used, so please let us drop it and get back to making this map great. :)

Thanks,
samuelc812
Captain samuelc812

Postby Qwert on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:46 pm

It has already been established that the Swastika will NOT be used, so please let us drop it and get back to making this map great.

Then you need to find another option,because flag of german empire its not suitabile for these map.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas