Conquer Club

[Official] Centerscape/Midgard REVAMP [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Official]Centerscape FINAL IMG/XML pg.11 [I,Gp]

Postby RjBeals on Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:22 pm

Hmm.. I didn't remember adding that lake. WM must have when he took it over. I guess he missed that, and I never noticed. To keep it consistent, that small Topaz lake should have the double border. I forget how I did it, but I'm sure WM can figure it out :D

Private RjBeals

Postby oaktown on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:34 am

actually, now that LedZep mentioned it, I have a beef with the bridges. The shadow below them is too far below them, suggesting that the ground level is considerably lower than the level at which the edges of the bridge touch ground. The effect is that the bridges look like they are floating above the earth rather than anchored to them. I'd say either curve the bridges more (not less as suggested) or bring the shadows up a few pixels.
Captain oaktown

Postby MrBenn on Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:26 am

Kaplowitz wrote:
the.killing.44 wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote:Speaking of the double line, you are missing them by Topaz...

See my post ā€¦

Sorry,i missed that...

The map is looking great by the way!

I raised this earlier (nothing like reading the last few pages of comments before posting :roll: )...the lake by Topaz is a coastal lake, and hence has a more wobbly shoreline and doesn't have the still-water ripples.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:42 pm

MrBenn wrote:I raised this earlier (nothing like reading the last few pages of comments before posting :roll: )...

Hmm, I've been following these comments since the beginning but didn't see that :-k

MrBenn wrote:the lake by Topaz is a coastal lake, and hence has a more wobbly shoreline and doesn't have the still-water ripples.

Maybe, but I'd still prefer that all the lakes are the same. a) It looks better; and b) The other Topaz/Ursa lake is basically just as close to the ocean as the Topaz one and it doesn't have it.

I say give Topaz the double line.

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:05 pm

i personally liked the old mountains better, just saying i think they fit the map better
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby rishaed on Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:31 pm

oaktown wrote:actually, now that LedZep mentioned it, I have a beef with the bridges. The shadow below them is too far below them, suggesting that the ground level is considerably lower than the level at which the edges of the bridge touch ground. The effect is that the bridges look like they are floating above the earth rather than anchored to them. I'd say either curve the bridges more (not less as suggested) or bring the shadows up a few pixels.

i agree, the shadow underneath the bridges is to low.
aage wrote: Maybe you're right, but since we receive no handlebars from the mod I think we should get some ourselves.

Corporal 1st Class rishaed

Location: Somewhere in the Foundry forums looking for whats going on!

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:21 pm

LED ZEPPELINER wrote:when i look at this map, it is absolutely stunning, but then i notice the bridges, and one way border. It is not that they are bad, actually they are quite good, but i just don't think they fit the feel of this map. For the bridges, maybe just don't have them curve, just keep them going flat. as for the one way border: i would suggest it being flat also, but also maybe have the mountains dodge it slightly, so that it runs right through them, just a thought. Also i see that you have this really cool double border line thing going on around the lakes, but when you get to the ocean coast, they aren't there, maybe try including the double border line, i think it would make it look better, and keep the map held together nicely. Hope this is helpful. otherwise for that though, the map is quite spectacular, =D> :D
Thanks for the comments but I have to say that the one-way and bridges look better bent. They show that they go OVER things. Water and mountains. I think they look good the way they are. Is there anything else?

the.killing.44 wrote:but the "lake" by Topaz seems to have the border of the ocean. Explanation? or just a small mistake.

Other than that, the only thing I can see is that the red border around the "lake" by Sauron and Ironcrest seems a bit more red and sharp than the others.
My bad on the lake by Topaz. When I had to redo the terts for GP, I used the ocean from Rj's earlier map but did not turn it into a lake. I will fix that and make it look similar to the other lakes.

oaktown wrote:The shadow below them is too far below them, suggesting that the ground level is considerably lower than the level at which the edges of the bridge touch ground. The effect is that the bridges look like they are floating above the earth rather than anchored to them. I'd say either curve the bridges more (not less as suggested) or bring the shadows up a few pixels.
The shadows have been raised a couple pixels and it does look better.

LED ZEPPELINER wrote:i personally liked the old mountains better, just saying i think they fit the map better
I have to disagree here too but that is just my opinion. I think the old mountains were not as sharp. The blended in too much. These have a better shape and the highlights are more dynamic.

What does everyoen else think?

LARGE Version 12
Major WidowMakers

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:25 pm

WidowMakers wrote:I have to disagree here too but that is just my opinion. I think the old mountains were not as sharp. The blended in too much. These have a better shape and the highlights are more dynamic.

I agree with you. But, last thing from me (atm), how about extending the mountains separating Topaz and Fangorn one or two more pairs down?

Captain the.killing.44

Re: [Official]Centerscape Lg V12 pg.13 [I,Gp]

Postby The Neon Peon on Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:31 pm

I think it is obvious that the two do not connect.

The mountains look great. FF
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:39 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
LED ZEPPELINER wrote:i personally liked the old mountains better, just saying i think they fit the map better
I have to disagree here too but that is just my opinion. I think the old mountains were not as sharp. The blended in too much. These have a better shape and the highlights are more dynamic.

oh srry i was looking at this map
Instead of this map, which has the better mountains that i was talking about
LARGE Version 12

srry for the confustion
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:58 am

I have received a Jury Summons for this map and this is the first time I am looking at it.

If I understand well this map will be a replacement for Middle Earth which was removed a while ago.

Visually the map is very beautiful and it suits the theme well. The gameplay also seems faithful to the original.

My only concern is that I think the large version seems to be the size of the small version! I saw a version of the small map somewhere and it's way too small. So I think the sizes of the small and large versions should be upped a little.

Apart from that I think this is an impressive job. Keep up the good work!
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby oaktown on Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:20 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:My only concern is that I think the large version seems to be the size of the small version! I saw a version of the small map somewhere and it's way too small. So I think the sizes of the small and large versions should be upped a little.

Personally I appreciate that some mapmakers don't feel the need to use every pixel at their disposal, but the small is quite small. Could we see the small with some army counts dropped on there to get a sense of whether or not it is big enough for play?
Captain oaktown

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:20 pm

oaktown wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:My only concern is that I think the large version seems to be the size of the small version! I saw a version of the small map somewhere and it's way too small. So I think the sizes of the small and large versions should be upped a little.

Personally I appreciate that some mapmakers don't feel the need to use every pixel at their disposal, but the small is quite small. Could we see the small with some army counts dropped on there to get a sense of whether or not it is big enough for play?
I agree. Here are the XML images they are still valid even with the small tweaks I have made.
There is plenty of room. No reason to make the maps larger than they need be.

XML Check Large V9
Large Version 9
XML Check Small V3
Major WidowMakers

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:45 pm

3 Digits on Una looks like the only place where there could be a problem on the small map...

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Incandenza on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:51 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:3 Digits on Una looks like the only place where there could be a problem on the small map...

And Gul, perhaps... and there are no armies on Ursa on the small map.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:18 am

UPDATES:
    -Fixed URSA XML
    -Adjusted for 888
    -Both maps have fixed lake by Topaz

XML V4
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/15/ ... rd_v04.xml
LARGE Version 12
SMALL Version 5
888 XML TEST
Large
Small

WM
Major WidowMakers

Re: [Official]Centerscape Lg12/Sm5/XML pg.1&13 [I,Gp]

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:12 am

Comments?
Major WidowMakers

Postby MrBenn on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:44 am

If this map were cheese, it would be Wensleydale with Cranberries, on Poppy-seed biscuits...

Final Forge I say!
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:55 am

MrBenn wrote:If this map were cheese, it would be Wensleydale with Cranberries, on Poppy-seed biscuits...

Final Forge I say!
So it would be a smelly map?
Major WidowMakers

Postby MrBenn on Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:10 am

Wensleydale doesn't smell... it's smooth and creamy ;-)
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby oaktown on Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:33 am

MrBenn wrote:Final Forge I say!

If we don't see the jury in the next day or two I'll PM them... looks to me like we're still waiting on all three thumbs.
Captain oaktown

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:26 am

FF!

Captain the.killing.44

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:29 pm

show: FF
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby The Neon Peon on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:38 pm

oaktown wrote:
MrBenn wrote:Final Forge I say!

If we don't see the jury in the next day or two I'll PM them... looks to me like we're still waiting on all three thumbs.

This map is done. Why do we need to bring in a jury for a map that has had no changes even suggested for a while now? (excluding the small stuff you would normally see in the final forge)
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:38 pm

were just waiting for 1 more
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas