Conquer Club

The Balkan Peninsula [FF] --Feb 2nd 2010--

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Balkan Peninsula [FF] --Dec 17th 2010--

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:14 am

In terms of the Slovenia imbalance, I think the suggestion from josko carries most weight with me:
josko.ri wrote:slovenia plus 2 bonus is pretty unbalanced. it has bonus the same like albania, macedonia and turkey but is much easier to defend, if put a big stack in sredisnja hrvatska, as it is the only region which may attack slovenia bonus.

I suggest just remove mountains between istra and primorska. if you look at real map, mountains there doesnt exists. in real, mountains end above letter "S" in ISTRA. so, if you just remove mountains left of letter "S", you will do map which is in reality and also very ballance slovenia bonus of 2. it will then be harder to defense, just like it is albania, macedonia and turkey bonuses of 2. then Istra would be able to attack Primorska but still wouldnt be able to attack Kranjska.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:42 am

Here are some updated images:

PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby pamoa on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:24 am

pamoa wrote:you imperatively need to code all 4 bonus regions with 3 territories as starting position
it is way too unbalanced in a 2 players game

Slovenia
Albania
Macedonia
Turkey

MrBenn wrote:Those regions are already divided up by starting positions

what about 2 territories Bosnia?
De gueules Ć  la tour d'argent ouverte, crĆ©nelĆ©e de trois piĆØces, sommĆ©e d'un donjon ajourĆ©, crĆ©nelĆ© de deux piĆØces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:40 pm

pamoa wrote:
pamoa wrote:you imperatively need to code all 4 bonus regions with 3 territories as starting position

Slovenia
Albania
Macedonia
Turkey

We made a decision that a +1 bonus on a map this size was hardly earth-shattering, and I can live with the possibilty of it being dropped.

Here's some updated XML to reflect the changed images:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/1/9/2 ... kans02.xml

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj32 ... ans10S.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj32 ... ans10L.jpg
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby pamoa on Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:07 pm

I see everything is already planed
good job
De gueules Ć  la tour d'argent ouverte, crĆ©nelĆ©e de trois piĆØces, sommĆ©e d'un donjon ajourĆ©, crĆ©nelĆ© de deux piĆØces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:34 pm

MrBenn wrote:
pamoa wrote:

Slovenia
Albania
Macedonia
Turkey

We made a decision that a +1 bonus on a map this size was hardly earth-shattering, and I can live with the possibilty of it being dropped.

If you can fix it, why leave things unbalanced? Think about the whole thing with the "golden numbers" for territories - this is to avoid one player from being able to get an extra +1 over someone else. Seems like this is an issue worth fixing, no?
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:48 pm

No; the problem with non-golden numbers, is that the imbalance will have an effect on every game and give a de facto bonus to the starting player. Here, it is only an occasional imbalance, and if somebody drops the bonus then there's still no guarantee that they'll go first. Those two regions have a multitude of borders so are easy pickings for anybody who wishes to break it...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:28 pm

MrBenn wrote:No; the problem with non-golden numbers, is that the imbalance will have an effect on every game and give a de facto bonus to the starting player. Here, it is only an occasional imbalance, and if somebody drops the bonus then there's still no guarantee that they'll go first. Those two regions have a multitude of borders so are easy pickings for anybody who wishes to break it...

Seems like a lazy way of putting it, MrBenn... Why not make one of Bosnia-Herzegovina's territories neutral? I mean, really, if you can help to balance the map, why would you not?
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby The Bison King on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:16 pm

I'm really liking this map. I havn't seen any unbalanced drops yet so I'm not to worried about the above comments. Plus the map is pretty large and those territories are in the middle with not real protection.

Here's my grip: I think Slovenia really needs to be reduced to +1. It's only 3 territories it can be defended with 1, it's in the corner, and it can be expanded on very easily. Slovenia reeks of a +1 bonus.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant 1st Class The Bison King

Postby iancanton on Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:31 pm

MrBenn wrote:the problem with non-golden numbers, is that the imbalance will have an effect on every game and give a de facto bonus to the starting player. Here, it is only an occasional imbalance, and if somebody drops the bonus then there's still no guarantee that they'll go first. Those two regions have a multitude of borders so are easy pickings for anybody who wishes to break it...

correct. we have 52 starting regions, of which 12 are part of 3 sets of 4 start positions, leaving 40 to be divided by 3. in 1v1, the 3rd set is added to the 40 to give 44, which gives a total of 14+4=18 per player, meaning that player 1 needs to take just 1 region from player 2 to reduce his deployment. in the 20 1v1 games from 8350187 to 8370887 (which were the latest 20 completed games when i looked), player 2 started with a smaller deployment 80% of the time.

Victor Sullivan wrote:Why not make one of Bosnia-Herzegovina's territories neutral? I mean, really, if you can help to balance the map, why would you not?

mrbenn is right to argue against this suggestion. if one of bosnia's regions starts as neutral, then not only do both players still start with 18 (thus failing to solve our problem), but 2v2 games will also now start with a bad number (12 regions per player).

there is, however, a solution at hand. let's change the start positions from 3 sets of 4 regions to 2 sets of 5 regions. this gives 14+5=19 regions per player in 1v1 games, while retaining 52 starting regions in total and giving 1 bosnian region to each player. below is an example of 2 such sets.

position 1: primorska, fbih, shkoder, vardar, tekirdag
position 2: stajerska, republika srpska, fier, pelagonia, kirklareli

josko.ri wrote:I suggest just remove mountains between istra and primorska. if you look at real map, mountains there doesnt exists. in real, mountains end above letter "S" in ISTRA. so, if you just remove mountains left of letter "S", you will do map which is in reality and also very ballance slovenia bonus of 2. it will then be harder to defense, just like it is albania, macedonia and turkey bonuses of 2. then Istra would be able to attack Primorska but still wouldnt be able to attack Kranjska.

i fully endorse mrbenn's 18 january version's treatment of slovenia, for the reasons that have been given by josko.ri.

Ika Pakao wrote:Danube river was not drawn properly. Check where it enters the Black Sea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Danubemap.png

for visual effect, so that it looks right to a romanian, is it possible to draw the river danube so that it separates dobrogea from the rest of romania, with bridges to connect it with bucuresti, muntenia and moldavia? if we do this, then the xml will also need to be adjusted to allow dobrogea and varna to assault each other (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, since bulgaria and romania did historically fight for control of dobrogea), but the xml adjacencies remain otherwise unchanged.

two final thoughts of lesser importance than the above. firstly, greece looks superficially attractive, but is hardly ever taken in 1v1 and i wonder whether increasing the bonus to +6 will be of benefit to a player whose initial drop forces him to play there. secondly, the unfortunate "serbian" player in a multiplayer game is stuck in the middle with hardly any cover. is it in order to put mountains between negotinska krajina and montana to help serbia (which might also reduce serbia's bonus from +5 to +4)? if only from the name, it seems that montana ought to have mountains (on examination, it turns out that the highest part of the balkan mountains is there)!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkan_Mountains

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby GreecePwns on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:29 am

Minor thing I found here. The map territory is Bucuresti, while the XML says Bucaresti.
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
Corporal GreecePwns

Postby Jippd on Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:06 am

Don't have time to read the pages of comments. Just posting my opinion but this may have been addressed already.

The Kosovo/Serbia bonus is not clear. Do you need to hold kosovo to hold the serbia bonus? And the colors should be possibly different more if they do not need to be held together. Or a bigger or more defined border around kosovo. Something.

Also can you change it so 1 v 1 you start with 17 regions? ....with 18 first turn usually wins since they only need to take one territ to drop initial deploy by 1 troop.
Major Jippd

Re: The Balkan Peninsula [FF] --Feb 2nd 2010--

Postby MrBenn on Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:42 am

The following update should resolve the starting position issues and get rid of the 18-terr starts. I have also rerouted the river through Romania and added some mountains between Serbia and Montana. I have also increased the Greece bonus to 6.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/1/9/2 ... kans03.xml

Lieutenant MrBenn

Game 8192958 attacking via impassable!

Postby salehdt on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:00 pm

Accused:

Tammerlane

The accused are suspected of:

Other: he attacked me thru an impassable line! i have mentioned it in the game chat too. and you can see it in the game log:

2011-02-03 07:28:53 - Tammerlane assaulted Negotinska Krajina from Montana and conquered it from salehdt

Game number(s):

Game 8192958

Comments:
Sergeant 1st Class salehdt

Re: Game 8192958 attacking via impassable!

Postby Qwert on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:06 pm

lol, these need to be in bugs forum, probably some mistake in XML.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Ace Rimmer on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:06 pm

XML looks fine to my untrained eye. But yes, this should be moved to bugs.
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby Evil Semp on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:44 pm

Moving to bugs.
Sergeant Evil Semp
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby phantomzero on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:54 pm

this blows my mind! it's a bug!!!!
Sergeant 1st Class phantomzero

Postby salehdt on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:27 pm

the question is... how did he know about this?
Sergeant 1st Class salehdt

Postby rdsrds2120 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:55 pm

salehdt wrote:the question is... how did he know about this?

Bob could have told him.

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby tkr4lf on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:58 am

rdsrds2120 wrote:

Bob could have told him.

-rd

Who in the sam hell is Bob??

Joke.
Major tkr4lf

Postby sherkaner on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:06 am

That map is still in beta, and it has had an update it seems, adding those mountains.. So maybe at the time of playing, it was a perfectly valid line of attack.
Colonel sherkaner

Postby spiesr on Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:02 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:
Bob could have told him.
BOB currently says that they do not border...
Captain spiesr

Postby ender516 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:51 pm

Problems with a beta map belong in the map's topic in the Final Forge. Could someone merge this?
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Dako on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:20 pm

Moving to foundry.
Colonel Dako

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas