Conquer Club

Australia [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby DublinDoogey on Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:56 pm

Glad that this is back to business :) The numbers in the orange continent are difficult to read however, at least on my monitor.
Private DublinDoogey

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:01 pm

DublinDoogey wrote:Glad that this is back to business :) The numbers in the orange continent are difficult to read however, at least on my monitor.

Strange...no problems reading them on mine, and I usually use the colour blind settings because I have problems on other maps!
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby AndrewB on Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:45 pm

Great Map. 1 minor problem: the Melbourne army counts can be confusing. There is that black sea border, which can change numbers. Can we remove that sea border, or maybe move an army shadow little higher?
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby AndrewB on Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:48 pm

And also about the continent bonuses:

New South Wales: 5 countries, 3 border countries, bonus = 3
South Australia: same 5 countries, same 3 border countries, but bonus = 4

I think the South Australia bonus is too high.
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby Teya on Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:37 pm

NSW can only be attacked by 4 countries, but SA can be attacked by 7. I think the bonuses are fine.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby KEYOGI on Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:40 pm

In response to some points:

The numbers are very clear in Northern Territory and Western Australia. Which continent are you refering to, because neither are orange on my monitor.

The Melbourne army shadow is where it is because I wanted to avoid any shadows covering territory borders, I thought that would be confusing. The actual territory was increased in size so an army shadow would fit better. I don't understand how the sea border would change the number, can you elaborate?

Continent/State bonuses were thoroughly discussed, South Australia is a lot harder to hold than New South Wales, thus the extra bonus army.

I will work on that 4-way border for the next update.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby DublinDoogey on Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:01 am

The Northern Territory's a bright, strong orange, and then the Western one is like a pale, golden yellowish-orange, but I was talking about the Northern Territory
Private DublinDoogey

Postby Marvaddin on Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:31 am

And in fact I cant remember why that border between Nullarbor and Coober Pedy was added... Isnt W. Astralia already difficult with 4 borders?
Major Marvaddin

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:27 am

AndyDufresne wrote:I've been following along, and it seems like the mountains help South Australia, but perhaps hurt some playability in the fact you can make Western Australia down to Two Borders now. Perhaps if others feel the same way, we could adjust the bonus to 5, instead of 6, to compensate. But then you may get some inconsistency due to the fact Queensland is also a 5, and with 1 less border. But I think the fact that you can limit your borders easily in Western Australia compared to Queensland, perhaps is support for a knock down in bonus value.

--Andy

Marvaddin wrote:And in fact I cant remember why that border between Nullarbor and Coober Pedy was added... Isnt W. Astralia already difficult with 4 borders?

Instead of adjusting the bonus, I decided to add an extra border territory to justify the bonus of 6.

impassable objects

Postby spinwizard on Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:53 am

sorry if it has been said before but i am not keen on impassable borders... are they realy needed??? :? :? :?
Private 1st Class spinwizard

Postby Kayla on Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:36 am

i like the mountains, the map is plain with all the straight borders, so the mountains pretty it up a little
Major Kayla

Re: impassable objects

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:36 am

spinwizard wrote:sorry if it has been said before but i am not keen on impassable borders... are they realy needed??? :? :? :?

It's been discussed at length and was decided they should stay as is. :)

Postby Marvaddin on Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:00 pm

KEYOGI wrote:Instead of adjusting the bonus, I decided to add an extra border territory to justify the bonus of 6.

Was it necessary? Without that border, it already have 1 more country and 1 more border compared to queensland...
Major Marvaddin

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:53 pm

Marvaddin wrote:Was it necessary? Without that border, it already have 1 more country and 1 more border compared to queensland...

I guess not, I think other things on the map have been changed since that one was made. Currently we have the possibility of Western Australia getting its borders down to four, but that involves taking another four territories.

I think you are right Marv, I will fix this next update. This makes that 4-way border easier to fix as I can just drop the top edge of Cocklebiddy down and make Warbuton able to attack Coober Pedy.

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:51 pm

UPDATE

Western Australia territory borders were adjusted. WA now has a total of four border territories. Warburton can now attack Coober Pedy, but Nullarbor no longer can.

Small

Large

Postby happysadfun on Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:40 pm

Much better. I applaud you!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

If there was a river between Pilbara and Kalgoorlie-Perth, it would italicize the importance of holding Warburton.
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby boberz on Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:43 pm

no dont have a river keep the map simple with lots of territories to defend so that it is a hard map to dominate from the start

also what is a turquoise number going to look like on a turquoise continent, is it readable.
Last edited by boberz on Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal 1st Class boberz

Postby DublinDoogey on Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:04 pm

KEYOGI wrote:In response to some points:

The numbers are very clear in Northern Territory and Western Australia. Which continent are you refering to, because neither are orange on my monitor.

I'm curious as to what color you see them as on your's, as I stated above they're both definatly orange, at least the NT, on my monitor.
Last edited by DublinDoogey on Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private DublinDoogey

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:25 pm

I see numbers as clear on my moniter.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:48 pm

I'm using someone else's computer at the moment and the numbers look okay on their monitor as well. While the colour of Northern Territory is more orange on this monitor, the numbers are still very clear.

Can you try adjusting the settings on your monitor to see if it helps?

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:00 pm

both school and home moniters, perfect number clarity.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:32 pm

Alright, it's good to see some care taken on the army coordinate placement. They all look great!

Minor, minor things...

Consider moving Uluru's name slightly away from the mountains, it feels like it is crowding that area.

Also, it seems a few of the country division lines aren't quite the same, thickness or boldness wise. Take for instance, Victoria and New South Wales, compared to Queensland. If possible, make all the lines across the map around the same boldness or such.

Lastly, a few of the edges around the outside of the map, suffer from pixelation. See Perth, Port Lincoln, Hobart, Rockhampton, Cape York, Kimberely...and many others along the edge. Smooth those boxes up a little.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Caleb the Cruel on Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:06 pm

This map looks great, I'm ready to play it.
Corporal 1st Class Caleb the Cruel

Postby KEYOGI on Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:34 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Alright, it's good to see some care taken on the army coordinate placement. They all look great!

Minor, minor things...

Consider moving Uluru's name slightly away from the mountains, it feels like it is crowding that area.

Also, it seems a few of the country division lines aren't quite the same, thickness or boldness wise. Take for instance, Victoria and New South Wales, compared to Queensland. If possible, make all the lines across the map around the same boldness or such.

Lastly, a few of the edges around the outside of the map, suffer from pixelation. See Perth, Port Lincoln, Hobart, Rockhampton, Cape York, Kimberely...and many others along the edge. Smooth those boxes up a little.

--Andy

I would like to keep Uluru as it is because I made the effort to have all territory names and army shadows the same distance apart for every single territory. I could move things a pixel or two, but I really don't see the benefit in doing so. :)

I will work on those other points though. For me it seems to only be an issue on the large map. Is that the case?

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:53 pm

I believe there is enough space to nudge the army shadow over and move the name up. It'd look a little more professional by keep the mountains off the name. Or perhaps move the mountains down slightly.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas