Conquer Club

Australia [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby casper on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:11 am

Kayla wrote:queensland has 3 borders and is worth 5?

Western Australia has 2 more borders but is only worth one more? :P
Major casper

Postby Marvaddin on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:13 am

gavin_sidhu wrote:Some people are really slow and need to know that theres a river crossing. I think the ledgend and title are fine.

I have no problem about title of the map, or the legend, just the title of the legend. Call it "legend" is useless and unnecessary.
Major Marvaddin

Postby gavin_sidhu on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:13 am

casper wrote:
Kayla wrote:queensland has 3 borders and is worth 5?

Western Australia has 2 more borders but is only worth one more? :P
But Western Australia only borders two continents, thus is likely to have two enemies, Queensland borders three continents which gives it three enemies.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:45 am

Marvaddin wrote:
gavin_sidhu wrote:Some people are really slow and need to know that theres a river crossing. I think the ledgend and title are fine.

I have no problem about title of the map, or the legend, just the title of the legend. Call it "legend" is useless and unnecessary.

What's another name for it? I can't think of anything better, that's why it has been left as is. Will hopefully post an update sometime in the next 6 hours.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby gavin_sidhu on Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:11 am

KEYOGI wrote:
Marvaddin wrote:

What's another name for it? I can't think of anything better, that's why it has been left as is. Will hopefully post an update sometime in the next 6 hours.
Maybe leave it unamed, most other maps dont have names on the key.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:47 am

UPDATE

Small

Large

I was hoping to have images with numbers, but I'm having problems testing my coordinates, so I'll add those images later. The xml is complete, I just need to be able to test it.

Changes made:
- Fixed the messy borders
- Fixed the army shadows on the large map
- More cleaning up of the large map where it was looking a bit rough

I will fix the legend title, I'm just not sure with what yet. I want to have something there as it's so much easier than moving probably 30 layers around. Any ideas what to put there?

Postby gavin_sidhu on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:14 am

Looks much better. Rename Hobart Tasmania. I know you have the names for all the other capital cities, but you have the name of the states in the key for all the other places.

I think it would be best without Legend or anything, but if you want to keep it I see no problem with the name Legend. Maybe call it Key.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Lupo on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:42 am

Why don't you put a little macropod, that is the well world known australian symbol, instead of the legend label?

Last edited by Lupo on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Nature is a temple in which living pillars
Sometimes emit confused words;
Man crosses it through forests of symbols
That observe him with familiar glances."
Sergeant 1st Class Lupo

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:43 am

gavin_sidhu wrote:Looks much better. Rename Hobart Tasmania. I know you have the names for all the other capital cities, but you have the name of the states in the key for all the other places.

ACT is missing as well. :wink:

Postby gavin_sidhu on Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:22 am

KEYOGI wrote:
gavin_sidhu wrote:Looks much better. Rename Hobart Tasmania. I know you have the names for all the other capital cities, but you have the name of the states in the key for all the other places.

Yah but nobody cares about ACT. If you asked a random person from anywhere in the world, they would have heard of Canberra, not the ACT and would have heard Tasmania and not Hobart. Also the territory u named act isnt only the act, but alot of NSW as well.

The border between Mt Isa and Winton in small map screwed at top.

Western Australia and Northern Territory border is a bit thick in comparison to Western Australia South Australia border.

Gippsland and Canberra border not perfect on large compared to other state borders.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby happysadfun on Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:25 pm

gavin_sidhu wrote:
KEYOGI wrote:

Yah but nobody cares about ACT. If you asked a random person from anywhere in the world, they would have heard of Canberra, not the ACT and would have heard Tasmania and not Hobart.

OOH! Can I be the random person?

I knew about both of them. You all have Canberra, ACT just like we have Washington, DC. And everyone knows about Hobart!

Well every smart person!
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby gavin_sidhu on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:22 pm

Not everybody is a geography nerd like u. Everybody has heard about tasmania cos of the tasmanian devil, everybody has grown up watching taz on TV. Theyve heard of Canberra not ACT because its our capital.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:13 pm

I don't know, the Sydney to Hobart is a pretty well known international race. I also think it would be a bit weird to have all of Australia's capital cities present except Hobart. Either way, the Tasmania's are getting a bad deal. I'll leave it for the time being, we'll wait and see what others have to say about it.

What is the problem with the Gippsland/Canberra border gav? I keep looking at it, but it looks okay on my monitor. And of the Mt. Isa/Winton border? Looks okay to me here too. :?

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:31 am

On the small map the border between Mt. Isa and Winton near the top. There is a random line coming off the border.

On the large map the border between Gippsland and Canberra looks badly edited. the Gippsland side of the border is fine, but the Canberra side looks as if you have gotten the hard end eraser and chomped away to make it all pixely.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Sargentgeneral on Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:05 pm

The map looks fine! Just make it so we can all play it! people are telling you tiny changes that you wouldnt be able to tell the difference if you didnt know you were doing them. Just let the guy post the map!
Lieutenant Sargentgeneral

Postby KEYOGI on Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:58 pm

I've got a few minor changes to make, nothing too time consuming. Development of the map has come grinding to a halt though as I'm still unable to test my X & Y coordinates. As soon as this problem's figured out, I'll post images with numbers.

Postby KEYOGI on Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:01 pm

So I'm getting nowhere with the coordinate problem. If anyone is willing to test it for me from their end, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send the xml and url.

Any help is going to be appreciated. :)

About the map,

Postby Edward on Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:16 pm

Maybe this has already been brought up but, no New Zealand? or the many Islands around Australia? Still seems like a nice map.
Lord Edward, Commander of the Louvan armies.
Sergeant Edward

Postby Qwert on Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:49 pm

I think that army shadows must be same in small and large maps,you army shadows in large pics it big and in small pics its perfect for numbers.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Haydena on Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:42 am

Test the co ordinates here and if you are having trouble finding the co ordinates then

Try this
Sergeant 1st Class Haydena

Postby KEYOGI on Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:58 am

Haydena wrote:Test the co ordinates here and if you are having trouble finding the co ordinates then

Try this

I've tried both those steps. There apprears to be a problem with the site.

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10301

When this issue has been fixed I'll update the map and post images with numbers.

Postby KEYOGI on Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:09 pm

UPDATE

Small

Large

Postby KEYOGI on Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:20 pm

Okay, just want to point out that the images are updated, but the site seems to be buggy still. Here's where you can see the images without numbers:

Small
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r118/KEYOGI/Australia_Small.jpg

Large
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r118/KEYOGI/Australia_Large.jpg

Postby Marvaddin on Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:20 pm

Perfect!

Just a detail: the four corners border between Coober Pedy, Lake Eyre, and the other countries... could you eliminate it adjusting borders, or putting a little lake, or a mountain? Borders like that are good to create confusion.

But lets start some games on it soon, Im sure :)
Major Marvaddin

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:28 am

I agree with marv it is coming along very nicely, I did a quick look and the coordinates look alright, I'll look through a littler closer later.

Also, definitely either skew one of the borders so it doesn't perfectly match up, or add something like a lake to clear up the minor issue.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas