Conquer Club

[Official] Middle East REVAMP [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby serkancatal on Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:25 pm

btownmeggy wrote:While you say that the "mistakes" are offensive to the people that live there, your condemnation of Kurdistan is also quite offensive. Kurdistan (in Kurdish: Kurdewari) IS a place in the world, primarily inhabited by the oppressed Kurdish population. Just because Kurdistan has very little to no political stance, as Kurds are simultaneously persecuted by their Turkic, Persic, and Arabic neighbors, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

i didnt say kurdish people doesnt excist but of course kurdistan doesnt excist. there r a lot of kurdish people around the world and also as a frind of me but there is no country called kurdistan. if there would be so then it is tottally fine to say kurdistan. if u say there excist pls show me the country then let me apologize and thank u for new info. btw kurds never has little political stance. they r now the strongest partner of usa in iraq and they have some terrorist gangs such as pkk, kadek and etc who kill so many innonecnt people around middle east. and the judge who give the saddam's death penalty judgement is a kurd. i respect to kurd people, but not to a country that doesnt excist.
Last edited by serkancatal on Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private 1st Class serkancatal

Postby btownmeggy on Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:33 pm

Kurdistan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurdistan

http://www.krg.org/

http://www.theotheriraq.com/

I mean, I could go on and on and on and on and on. Kurdistan obviously exists. I don't see how you could say it doesn't other than out of a racist agenda.
Corporal btownmeggy

Postby Qwert on Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:45 pm

i have qwestion what period these map present.
If we know these,then we can talk of teritory and country.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby serkancatal on Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:58 pm

thank u for ur info but unfortunetly these web sites r the sites done by the kurdish people and they r not official. about wikipedia as u know it is not an official site so there r so many mistakes on that. to be a country, u need to known by the other countries by sending embassies. so for now on there is no country called kurdistan. the south part of iraq is under control of kurdish people but even that region is not called kurdistan. i just would like to say there exsit no region officially called kurdistan. just becouse of some people say to a land that it is kurdistan u cant put name as the way they say so. when u r creating a map with official names u need to put official names to all of it not some of it.
of course u can find so many info when u right "kurdistan" to google. it is becouse kurds dont have land and they desire to have turquie's southeast region and for this aim some kurds create a terrorist group called pkk, kadek. since they have no land they r always working on propogandas that kurdistan belongs thas y it is easy to have info about that. and while making this propaganda, so many countries have support with them so u can coincide with kurdistan in so many places. but just those doesnt mean that there excist a country of kurdistan.
btw i am talking on just the things i have known, of course there can be sth i dont know or i know wrong so i am so open to new infos about that subject especially from obcejtive people such as from other countries. the only thing i know is there is no country called kurdistan and i want to say agian this doenst mean that kurds doesnt excist. there r so many ethnic nations without country and u never tell those nation's land with some name with their nation when they live in another country.
as a brief kurdistan is just a utopia of kurds, but not a country.

Postby qeee1 on Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:04 pm

It doesn't have to be a country to be considered a region, so your argument is irrelevant anyway.

From the wikipedia page:
Editing of this article by unregistered or newly registered users is currently disabled.
Such users may discuss changes, request unprotection, login, or create an account.

so it's probably not that full of innacuracies...

Another encyclopedia-
[url]
http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9046469/Kurdistan[/url]
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby serkancatal on Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:18 pm

the region in that enscyloedia is actually mezopotomia and becouse of so many big propoganda activities of rich kurdish people, in some places it is called kurdistan but it is not sth official and just becouse some of the historicians and scientsit call there kurdistan iit s not enought to call a land so. when u consider that the usa is giving big support to kurds to divide iraq, nowadays kurds r so powerful and they introduce everything as they want to and beouse of that there r so many wrong infos about those.

what u dont know is kurdistan is a symbolic name of the utopia of kurdish people and when kurds use kurdistan they mean a terrirotrry with some cities which turquia owns right now such as diyarbakir, urfa etc. and by reaching to aim of kurdistan they have terrorsit gangs who r killing so many innocent people every year. kurdish issue is another subject to discuss and of course there r some wrongs made by both countries. but when u say kurdistan, turks understand it as a land with some turkish cities and it bothers us. for that reason, officialy kurdistan name is not used by countries beouce of turks sensitivty about that name. since there is not an official name called kurdistan and since the map has been made by official names not some utopic names i am against on its using and saying my idea about that.

Postby Spiegelprime on Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:49 am

Ok...the regions you take issue with I named as such for simplicity and to describe the regions. No, there is no country named Kurdistan (yet!) and yes Caucasia is a region including more than what is in the territory, but it's Armenia and Azerbaijan and to name it one or the other wouldn't do it justice. The Armenia in modern Turkey comes from what would have been an independent country there had they not had...some...well...issues in the First World War. And the fact is I made the map, and it's my "creative" license, heck just look at the classic map...it is far from accurate on the whole! And just out of curiosity serkancatal, where are you from? I find it interesting the territories you take issue with...

And for those of you who are curious, I'm a History student at McGill with a concentration in Middle Eastern history, so my naming on this map reflects a certain knowledge of the history, conflict and whatever else has gone on in this region. So honestly, taking too much effort to find some sort of politically correct naming scheme for this area could send us down a very, very long and dark path of "who was there first" which is totally unnecessary for a bloody risk map.
Private 1st Class Spiegelprime

Postby reverend_kyle on Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:36 am

Spiegelprime wrote:And just out of curiosity serkancatal, where are you from? I find it interesting the territories you take issue with...

his profile wrote:All about serkancatal

Score: 1085
Games Completed: 4
Find all games with serkancatal
View serkancatal's feedback
Leave feedback for serkancatal
Add serkancatal to my ignore list
Total posts: 21
[0.01% of total / 1.91 posts per day]
Find all posts by serkancatal

he has a turkish IP so I'd assume turkey.

thats not 100% correct though.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:39 pm

Regarding this idea, I've been in contact with Mr. K.

Mr. K wrote:I do think i'll get back to it some day, a long time from now. I can't take a guess how long it will be unfortunately 'cause it may be a very long time.

If someone else is itching to finish it I'd be willing to send the photoshop file to them, but otherwise I do think i'll get back to it eventually.

I'd say its on a vacation of undetermined length.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Spiegelprime on Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:37 pm

If I had a copy of photoshop for mac I'd do it myself....

*wink wink, nudge nudge*.... :-#
Private 1st Class Spiegelprime

Postby KEYOGI on Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:01 pm

I don't mind having a crack at it if nobody objects.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby Levon II on Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:13 pm

The Middle East map is indeed inaccurate on many levels. Being an Armenian, I can tell you that the region labeled as "Armenia" is incorrect. Also Azerbaijan is misplaced. Both countries would be part of Caucasia in that map. Why Georgia and Armenia are part of Turkey is also confusing. Instead of having Caucasia as an individual region, there should be a separate Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan which makes up a bonus region called Caucasia.
Cadet Levon II

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:19 pm

This map needs to be completely redesigned not revamped in my opinion.

There are too many mistakes in the countries' names and in their grouping as continents.

Also many of them are not part of the Middle East at all! Georgia and Armenia are also Caucasian states if I am not wrong and why are they part of Turkey?

There are many more mistakes in this map apart from these of course...I am sure others can point those out.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Levon II on Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:30 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:This map needs to be completely redesigned not revamped in my opinion.

There are too many mistakes in the countries' names and in their grouping as continents.

Also many of them are not part of the Middle East at all! Georgia and Armenia are also Caucasian states if I am not wrong and why are they part of Turkey?

There are many more mistakes in this map apart from these of course...I am sure others can point those out.

Armenia and Georgia are Caucasian states, but I figure that they are relatively close to the Middle East, which is why the author of this map included them. However, if this is the case they should at least be done properly.
Cadet Levon II

Postby ericisshort on Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:47 pm

I always figured that the regions were designed for playability over accuracy. And in that respect, its quite a nice map.

I think a little makeover is all it needs. I'll take a stab at it too. Maybe we should get a couple people to try their hand at is and then have a poll to see which one the people like best.
Captain ericisshort

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:53 pm

To reiterate:
Guidelines wrote:I've been in contact with the original cartographer, spiegleprime, and he was enthusastic about having the graphics revamped. The only stipulations are.... (Unless cleared by spiegleprime)

No border changing

No name changing

Try to make it feel like an old world/antique parchment...as that was what he said he originally wanted to try to do

--Andy

Postby KEYOGI on Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:00 pm

I think it's best if the original creators wishes are respected. I'm sure there are geographical/territorial inaccuracies in quite a few maps. I'm quite happy to work on the map, but I don't want to get involved in a "contest" like ericisshort is suggesting. So what are peoples opinions on the matter.

Postby Mr. K on Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:09 pm

If anyone wants the photoshop file, just email me at [edited] and i'll attatch it.

If not, I hope you can wait, it'll come eventually.
Last edited by Mr. K on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby KEYOGI on Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:42 pm

Email sent Mr. K. 8)

Postby KEYOGI on Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:36 am

Is the xml set or can it be adjusted? I've just been playing around with a map revamp and if the current xml stays unchanged it's not going to allow the map to be in line with current foundry standards.

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:30 pm

XML coordinates can be adjusted obviously, and the respective locations, but the names will stay as they are, unless cleared through Sprime.

--Andy

Postby Unit_2 on Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:04 pm

i think you need to make it brighter, its to dark for me, its just sad :(...lol
Corporal Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby KEYOGI on Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:32 am

Unit_2 wrote:i think you need to make it brighter, its to dark for me, its just sad :(...lol

I haven't received any reply from Mr. K so I've just started from scratch on my own, keeping the same brightness from the original. I've changed the colour scheme some in trying to fit it in with the old world/antique parchment request from the original cartographer.

I'm probably about half-way through it so expect something in the next day or two. I knew this map was cramped in the Near East continent before, but geez! I'm having a hard time getting territory names and army shadows to fit in. The font will probably have to be changed anyway which is a shame because I think it fits well, but it may make some extra room if it's changed.

Anyway, you'll see where I've taken the idea soon.

Postby gavin_sidhu on Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:42 am

KEYOGI wrote:
Unit_2 wrote:i think you need to make it brighter, its to dark for me, its just sad :(...lol

I haven't received any reply from Mr. K so I've just started from scratch on my own, keeping the same brightness from the original. I've changed the colour scheme some in trying to fit it in with the old world/antique parchment request from the original cartographer.

I'm probably about half-way through it so expect something in the next day or two. I knew this map was cramped in the Near East continent before, but geez! I'm having a hard time getting territory names and army shadows to fit in. The font will probably have to be changed anyway which is a shame because I think it fits well, but it may make some extra room if it's changed.

Anyway, you'll see where I've taken the idea soon.
Sounds good. Will be interesting when this goes live, one of ur maps will be real high tech, the other ancient.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby KEYOGI on Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:11 am

I'm just wondering... do I have to work from the original image? Also, does changing borders refer to which territories border each other or the physical boundaries that define a territory? It'd be nice if I had some flexibility in moving some borders around as the current map is very restricting.

If I'm going to be the one to take over the project, I want to make sure it's the best it can be, not some compromise that's neither here nor there. I'm not wanting to do anything that would affect gameplay, just have the option of giving territories more room.

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas