Conquer Club

WWII-Stalingrad [QUENCHED]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [POLL] WWII - Stalingrad

Postby cairnswk on Sat May 09, 2009 7:02 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:What I'm thinking is something like what you did with the black and white lines. You either take those off or reduce the opacity of those so much they're essentially moot, then add another line (maybe Soviet red) along some territories in the city. Then you could have the Soviet "underground" with the Soviet red-shaded territories, running along the Volga. Since it's the "Underground" you'd be hijacking, sabotaging, etc. and as such the neutrals (correct?) would vary, so the Tractor Plant would be more than some tert, and the bonuses would probably be the same as the rest of the map (i.e. +1 per tert).

Meh, it might be too much (and you'll probably have to downscale what I outlined, tert number-wise), but I think it's better for the "Stalingradness" of the map.

And I agree with FP on more snow ;)

RE: fastpost/v2 - how does white text with a black glow look?

How does this look?

Version 3.

LED ZEPPELINER wrote:Honestly graphics are already pretty great.

Ooohhh LED Z.... don't say that, you'll down the graphics expectations in this place. ;)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat May 09, 2009 7:04 pm

Text and reduced opacity-wise, yes yes yes. I'm interested to see what you'll throw together ā€” that'll take more time of course ;)

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Sat May 09, 2009 7:07 pm

cairnswk wrote:
LED ZEPPELINER wrote:Honestly graphics are already pretty great.

Ooohhh LED Z.... don't say that, you'll down the graphics expectations in this place. ;)

what i meant was that for a 3rd version it looks good
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby Juan_Bottom on Sat May 09, 2009 10:18 pm

What I think of when I think of the battle of Stalingrad:
German superiority of equiptment and training (air force too)
Russion superiority of numbers; female soldiers too
Constantly overlapping lines
Cold; cold that got into your bones and never left
hunger; and civilians
lol @ the Germans since the Russians were still bulding war supplies during the battle

Anyway to add these things to the map? High bonuses or whatever to make it feel like a real meat-grinder? Or making pockets to get trapped in? The Russians (and later the Germans everywhere else) were sitting ducks as the crossed the river.... maybe have river terts that revert to nuetral?
Now I am thinking historically here, not exclusivly gameplay wise. It would suck to launch an attack accros the river only to have bad roles and get stuck in a pocket somewhere... and be trapped with no way back since the river reverts.... but that is they way it could have happened.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 10, 2009 12:52 am

Juan_Bottom wrote:What I think of when I think of the battle of Stalingrad:
German superiority of equiptment and training (air force too)
Russion superiority of numbers; female soldiers too
Constantly overlapping lines
Cold; cold that got into your bones and never left
hunger; and civilians
lol @ the Germans since the Russians were still bulding war supplies during the battle

Anyway to add these things to the map? High bonuses or whatever to make it feel like a real meat-grinder? Or making pockets to get trapped in? The Russians (and later the Germans everywhere else) were sitting ducks as the crossed the river.... maybe have river terts that revert to nuetral?
Now I am thinking historically here, not exclusivly gameplay wise. It would suck to launch an attack accros the river only to have bad roles and get stuck in a pocket somewhere... and be trapped with no way back since the river reverts.... but that is they way it could have happened.

I hope i can include some these things somewhere Juan_Bottom.
As for the river terts, they will probably happen, as the ferries that attempted to support the Russians across from the east were often bombed by the Germans to stop the support. Good thinking in bringing this up.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 10, 2009 12:07 pm

So what do people think of the fact that planes can attack bombs, and bombs can attack infantry? or armour?
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 10, 2009 12:08 pm

Version 3.
Private cairnswk

Postby neanderpaul14 on Sun May 10, 2009 4:36 pm

Welcome back CAIRNS

As always I look forward to playing, and learning the intricacies, of any of your maps. They are truly my favorites :)

Sorry to go off topic but what happened to Jamaica?? That was looking sweet.
High score: 2724
/#163 on scoreboard/COLONEL
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun May 10, 2009 5:58 pm

All Red X terts can attack one another? Seems a bit harsh, I'd go with adjacent or up to two terts away.
For the ships, I know you're working on it but a suggestion would be to graphically represent a ship with a army circle on it that can be bombarded, then try to help that 4-way arrow thing that has me tied up in knots ;)
For the attacks, does it apply to everyone? i.e. could Red Army Air Force attack Barrikady Factory via the plane ā€“ā€ŗ bomb route?

Captain the.killing.44

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 10, 2009 6:06 pm

neanderpaul14 wrote:Welcome back CAIRNS

As always I look forward to playing, and learning the intricacies, of any of your maps. They are truly my favorites :)

Sorry to go off topic but what happened to Jamaica?? That was looking sweet.

Thanks Paul. Jamaica is simply on vacation until about mid june.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun May 10, 2009 6:09 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:All Red X terts can attack one another? Seems a bit harsh, I'd go with adjacent or up to two terts away.

OK, that sounds better actually.

For the ships, I know you're working on it but a suggestion would be to graphically represent a ship with a army circle on it that can be bombarded, then try to help that 4-way arrow thing that has me tied up in knots ;)
Understand, Good idea.

For the attacks, does it apply to everyone? i.e. could Red Army Air Force attack Barrikady Factory via the plane ā€“ā€ŗ bomb route?

That i am sorting out. Probably needs some more color clarification and identification.
Thanks for yo-ur thoughts. Keep them coming. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Incandenza on Mon May 11, 2009 3:59 am

Seems like planes should only be able to bombard bomb targets (and perhaps opposing planes)... also might want to add another red army plane and heavy artillery, it'll at least kinda balance things out with the german airfield (how's that going to work, btw?)
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby cairnswk on Mon May 11, 2009 4:38 am

Incandenza wrote:Seems like planes should only be able to bombard bomb targets (and perhaps opposing planes)

OK, and are you happy with the bomb targeting infantry and armour?

... also might want to add another red army plane and heavy artillery, it'll at least kinda balance things out with the german airfield (how's that going to work, btw?)

More red army planes and heavy artillery, yes can do.

German airfields...since S'grad was basically bombed to the s***house, would it be appropriate that german airfields re-generate with a bonus each turn, since everyone is going to hold one at the start fo the game.
Any other ideas would be welcome. ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Wed May 13, 2009 4:26 pm

Further comments?
Private cairnswk

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed May 13, 2009 8:55 pm

New version will bring more, but there are many more (new) things to see ā€¦
:-^

Captain the.killing.44

Postby sailorseal on Wed May 13, 2009 9:04 pm

Well very late happy birthday

Now I love the look and the idea of the map! Another goodie cairns =D>
Cook sailorseal

Postby Incandenza on Wed May 13, 2009 9:31 pm

cairnswk wrote:Further comments?

Can we assume that empty circles will start neutral and filled circles will be player starting terits?

Colonel Incandenza

Postby cairnswk on Wed May 13, 2009 10:27 pm

Incandenza wrote:
cairnswk wrote:Further comments?

Can we assume that empty circles will start neutral and filled circles will be player starting terits?

Yes, and as you know all that is changeable. ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby Incandenza on Wed May 13, 2009 10:36 pm

I see where you're going with it, but consider, instead of a bunch of starting neutrals, make the city terits along the river suffer decay (maybe just the infantry) as a means of simulating the harsh conditions.

Also, I'm still not sure how the airstrip works. It sounds like you're proposing a situation where I, holding a Russian air force terit, could bombard my opponent's airstrip terit(s), but then they respawn for my opponent? I'm pretty sure that's not possible, nor does it even seem like a great idea.

Colonel Incandenza

Postby oaktown on Thu May 14, 2009 12:11 am

likes: a no-region map; let the players slug it out. And I like the idea of units attacking each other based on unit type, though i think right now it may be too wide open.

dislikes: the territory names; with everything starting "62nd XXXX" everybody is going to screw up placements and attacks. Bombs attacking territories and occupying them - seems like "bombs" should use a bombardment style attack. Same with anybody attacking the planes from the ground.

questions: the way the planes are represented... can they attack each other? Ferry lines: is that two crossing lines at the bottom part of the river? And the roads aren't a gameplay element, right?

neutral: many elements of the image are very 'cairnswk,' which is both good and bad... the brick building in the bottom right corner looks like you and looks good,but other elements of the map could be right out of the cairns metro map (landforms, color). I'd love to see the map capture the feel of how miserable this battle must have been, as well as further reflect the fact that this is an urban landscape. Right now I'm a maybe, but I could easily be pushed to a yes.

Captain oaktown

Postby cairnswk on Thu May 14, 2009 6:37 pm

Incandenza wrote:I see where you're going with it, but consider, instead of a bunch of starting neutrals, make the city terits along the river suffer decay (maybe just the infantry) as a means of simulating the harsh conditions.

yeh, can do that.

Also, I'm still not sure how the airstrip works. It sounds like you're proposing a situation where I, holding a Russian air force terit, could bombard my opponent's airstrip terit(s), but then they respawn for my opponent? I'm pretty sure that's not possible, nor does it even seem like a great idea.

Well, my initial idea was that as per the RL war:
1. the aircraft would respawn each round with a number of armies (perhaps 4) so that they could be used to simulate air raids.
2. the russian airforce could attack any german aircarft at any time
3. the german aircraft are attackable if you have any infantry positions bordering the airfield (more towards end of battle)
In a sense, if you had arrived close to the end of the game, you'd have to have a massive attack on the airforce in the last round to win the map.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu May 14, 2009 6:54 pm

oaktown wrote:likes: a no-region map; let the players slug it out. And I like the idea of units attacking each other based on unit type, though i think right now it may be too wide open.

OK, but remember there were a huge number of german troops involved in this front. It would be nice if that could be relflected.

dislikes: the territory names; with everything starting "62nd XXXX" everybody is going to screw up placements and attacks. Bombs attacking territories and occupying them - seems like "bombs" should use a bombardment style attack. Same with anybody attacking the planes from the ground.

So you want a bombardment capacity from the bombs to other units, and from the units on the ground to the planes?

questions: the way the planes are represented... can they attack each other?

I hadn't considered that. Only that Russian aircraft could attack german aircraft.
There are two terts bordering the Kalach Airfield where anyone holding the infantry on those terts could take out a number of aircraft at the beginning of the game if they're lucky enough to get those in the drop. Those two could be increased to four if needed for gameplay balance.

Ferry lines: is that two crossing lines at the bottom part of the river? And the roads aren't a gameplay element, right?

Ferry crossing lines will be converted to play terts.
Road (those are rail lines) won't be a gameplay element for attack but could hold extra bonus from attack.

neutral: many elements of the image are very 'cairnswk,' which is both good and bad... the brick building in the bottom right corner looks like you and looks good,but other elements of the map could be right out of the cairns metro map (landforms, color). I'd love to see the map capture the feel of how miserable this battle must have been, as well as further reflect the fact that this is an urban landscape. Right now I'm a maybe, but I could easily be pushed to a yes.

Early days, i hear you, let's see where i can go with this one.

Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Thu May 14, 2009 11:32 pm

Version 4.

Private cairnswk

Re: [POLL] WWII - Stalingrad V4(p4)

Postby samuelc812 on Fri May 15, 2009 12:17 am

It's looking nice cairns :)

I'm not a big fan of the new font for the titles "Impassables", "Attacks" and "Bonuses" and the Airfield, i can't even make out what it says sorry :oops:

Also the Armour Division and Artillery symbols are grey? Unlike the Airforce, Bombs and Infantry which are black, is there a reason for this?

I like the underground aspect of the map, it will make for some challenging gameplay, nice :)

--Sam
Captain samuelc812

Re: [POLL] WWII - Stalingrad V4(p4)

Postby cairnswk on Fri May 15, 2009 3:03 am

samuelc812 wrote:It's looking nice cairns :)

I'm not a big fan of the new font for the titles "Impassables", "Attacks" and "Bonuses" and the Airfield, i can't even make out what it says sorry :oops:

Also the Armour Division and Artillery symbols are grey? Unlike the Airforce, Bombs and Infantry which are black, is there a reason for this?

I like the underground aspect of the map, it will make for some challenging gameplay, nice :)

--Sam

Thanks Sam.
I'm thinking i might take this one over to either Corel Draw or Illustrator, but am having probs loading issues with Illustrator and it's taking time to sort it out with Adobe.
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas