Conquer Club

Flanders 1302V15[Beta] major changes! P19

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Flanders 1302V14 [D][Gp][G][XML][Beta]

Postby DubWarrior on Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:45 am

army of nobunaga wrote:playing it right now.. instant damn classic. good work

gameplay is perfect.

Wow, we're in BETA...great news. Let's hope all things run fine. I'll fill in the form for new maps now.
Tnx all!
Cadet DubWarrior

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:02 am

Well done Dub Warrior. ;)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby The Bison King on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:16 am

Congratulations! I look forward to playing you.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby perchorin on Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:11 pm

Been playing 1:1 speed games on this map, love it, but just had my opponent drop the +4 Henegouwen bonus and take the first turn...game over. That probably shouldn't be allowed to happen. +4 is just too large a bonus for 4 terts if you're able to get it on the drop. Otherwise, fabulous map!
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Major perchorin

Postby DubWarrior on Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:19 am

perchorin wrote:Been playing 1:1 speed games on this map, love it, but just had my opponent drop the +4 Henegouwen bonus and take the first turn...game over. That probably shouldn't be allowed to happen. +4 is just too large a bonus for 4 terts if you're able to get it on the drop. Otherwise, fabulous map!

Thanks for the reply. It was a game with only one opponent. I think that can happen if you're start positions are a bit unbalanced. It's an automatic function in the code that choses your and your opponent's start position, and add some extra neutrals. with some bad luck one can take a bonus in the first round. But I'm not a pro...

Henegouwen doesn't have a capital with a +1 auto-deploy, and it borders with 3 provinces. I think, for these reasons we decided to give it a +4. true, it only have 4 territs. What does the forum think?

another question, related to it: I checked out the running games. A lot of them are done in around 7 - 9 rounds. not all cities are captured. Some games even didn't use them. Is there enough reason to capture these cities? Or are the continent bonuses too high?

Cheers

cheers
Cadet DubWarrior

Postby danryan on Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:00 am

My initial reaction is that if the southwest is a +4 the southeast should be a +3.
Sergeant 1st Class danryan

Postby ender516 on Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:22 pm

DubWarrior wrote:
perchorin wrote:Been playing 1:1 speed games on this map, love it, but just had my opponent drop the +4 Henegouwen bonus and take the first turn...game over. That probably shouldn't be allowed to happen. +4 is just too large a bonus for 4 terts if you're able to get it on the drop. Otherwise, fabulous map!

Thanks for the reply. It was a game with only one opponent. I think that can happen if you're start positions are a bit unbalanced. It's an automatic function in the code that choses your and your opponent's start position, and add some extra neutrals. with some bad luck one can take a bonus in the first round. But I'm not a pro...

Henegouwen doesn't have a capital with a +1 auto-deploy, and it borders with 3 provinces. I think, for these reasons we decided to give it a +4. true, it only have 4 territs. What does the forum think?

another question, related to it: I checked out the running games. A lot of them are done in around 7 - 9 rounds. not all cities are captured. Some games even didn't use them. Is there enough reason to capture these cities? Or are the continent bonuses too high?

Cheers

cheers

If I'm using it right, MrBenn's Bonus Probability Calculator says that in a two player game on this map, the probability of any player getting a particular 4-region zone (4-territory continent, if you will) is 1.56%. I think this falls within the guidelines usually followed in the Foundry, so the question is whether the consequences (a +4 bonus) are too severe, given that someone may occasionally get this bonus.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby DubWarrior on Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:18 am

ender516 wrote:
DubWarrior wrote:

Cheers

cheers

If I'm using it right, MrBenn's Bonus Probability Calculator says that in a two player game on this map, the probability of any player getting a particular 4-region zone (4-territory continent, if you will) is 1.56%. I think this falls within the guidelines usually followed in the Foundry, so the question is whether the consequences (a +4 bonus) are too severe, given that someone may occasionally get this bonus.

I see. Your suggestion would be to lower the +4 to a +3 for example?
I must admit that while playing with spoils it pretty easy to get a lot of bonuses: spoils, regions, cities etc...So It could be a good idea to lower some bonusregions (especially Artesie to my feel...)
cheers
Cadet DubWarrior

Postby DubWarrior on Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:00 pm

danryan wrote:My initial reaction is that if the southwest is a +4 the southeast should be a +3.

Keeping in mind that a +5 for Kroon-Vlaanderen is almost impossible to get, but Oostervant and Artesiƫ combined makes a +6 bonus and is way more easier to capture and hold; combined with Doornik that makes a +7! Looks like a lot of troops so I suggest artesiƫ becomes a +3 bonusregion

what do you guys think?
Cadet DubWarrior

Postby danryan on Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:07 pm

+5 seems low for Kroon, but also kind of irrelevant. It is impossible for me to envision someone holding it under any scenario where the game isn't over.

I still think Henegouwen should be +3, while artesie should also be +3. I'd say your bonuses are all ok except Henegouwen. With a combination of neutrals and friendly drop it can be a game killer at +4. Kortrijk looks about like a +4 should - lots of access points, central location, hard to hold.

Postby DubWarrior on Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:50 am

danryan wrote:+5 seems low for Kroon, but also kind of irrelevant. It is impossible for me to envision someone holding it under any scenario where the game isn't over.

I still think Henegouwen should be +3, while artesie should also be +3. I'd say your bonuses are all ok except Henegouwen. With a combination of neutrals and friendly drop it can be a game killer at +4. Kortrijk looks about like a +4 should - lots of access points, central location, hard to hold.

Yes indeed, It's the same scenario for Henegouwen. I agree with you on the +3 for Henegouwen and Artesiƫ

I don't think i need to make the bonus higher for Kroonvlaanderen, because it comes with the auto-deploy cities Ieper, Gent and has a close connetion with other important parts, such as Brugge and Kortrijk.
Cadet DubWarrior

Postby Arama86n on Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:23 pm

Just wanted to drop a line and say awesome job! =D>
I've found myself sticking to more standard maps without auto-deploys and such, but as soon as I saw this one I knew this would be my gateway map to playing more complicated maps, just love the style.
The map seems very versatile, with several '2' bonuses, as well as the many autodeploy sites thus allowing for far more diverse gameplay. I see myself enjoying many a game on it!
/AramA
Major Arama86n

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:43 pm

DubWarrior, if you've decided to make an update, please can you post updated links for images and XML as appropriate please.

Thank you ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby jefjef on Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:54 pm

Fantastic map! Have played several and I will play many. The bonuses all look absolutely proper.

One change I would seriously consider is dropping Arras to Neutral 4. That would make it more attractive and less of a bonus guard/bypassed obstacle.

AND as sheltered as Brugge is it should only be worth 1 auto deploy.
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby DubWarrior on Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:01 am

Back with an update!

Changes:
- Henegouwen bonus= +2
- More grey-ish color for Arras and Brugge

Why only a +2 for Henegouwen?
because: South-east is an area with a lot of smaller provinces. Combined with the presence of Arras and cities like Aalst and Doornik, this area is easily to conquer (the whole or a part of it) and defend. For example: together with Oostervant you make a bonus of +4, by only defending 3 regions. Together with the Doornik-autodeploy this grows to a +5. Once conquered Arras too, this even makes a +7.
My point is: it's easy to gain some extra bonus in the south-east. It's not necessary to make that area too important with too large bonuses like a +3 of a +4. In order to make the battle more focussed on the cities, there is no need to overpower some region with other high bonuses.

Hope you all agree ;)

here are the files:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/1/27/2739987//BOTGS3S.tif
http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/1/27/2739987//BOTGS3L.tif

corrected XML
http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/1/27/2739987//xml01072010.xml
Cadet DubWarrior

Postby jefjef on Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:33 pm

Henegouwen bonus as a + 2????????? I could understand 3. But 2 is just too low. It is not easy to hold with out holding Ronse and Sint Amands.

Thats just a bad idea. Makes it even less attractive.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:05 pm

DubWarrior wrote:Back with an update!

Changes:
- Henegouwen bonus= +2
- More grey-ish color for Arras and Brugge

Why only a +2 for Henegouwen?
because: South-east is an area with a lot of smaller provinces. Combined with the presence of Arras and cities like Aalst and Doornik, this area is easily to conquer (the whole or a part of it) and defend. For example: together with Oostervant you make a bonus of +4, by only defending 3 regions. Together with the Doornik-autodeploy this grows to a +5. Once conquered Arras too, this even makes a +7.
My point is: it's easy to gain some extra bonus in the south-east. It's not necessary to make that area too important with too large bonuses like a +3 of a +4. In order to make the battle more focussed on the cities, there is no need to overpower some region with other high bonuses.

Hope you all agree ;)

here are the files:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/1/27/2739987//BOTGS3S.tif
http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/1/27/2739987//BOTGS3L.tif

corrected XML
http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/1/27/2739987//xml01072010.xml
The update has been sent to lackattack ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby danryan on Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:05 am

Not sure why Henegouwen ended up +2, that is too low. +3 would have been just right. This map is a very good small doubles map, nice job on it. Hope you can change that bonus one more time though.

Postby jefjef on Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:41 pm

jefjef wrote:Henegouwen bonus as a + 2????????? I could understand 3. But 2 is just too low. It is not easy to hold with out holding Ronse and Sint Amands.

Thats just a bad idea. Makes it even less attractive.

danryan wrote:Not sure why Henegouwen ended up +2, that is too low. +3 would have been just right. This map is a very good small doubles map, nice job on it. Hope you can change that bonus one more time though.

FYI. In my games I have only seen Arras conquered once and Doornik a couple times. The way my games play out the reasons you site for reducing this bonus to two just has not/does not apply.
Colonel jefjef

Postby DubWarrior on Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:13 am

DubWarrior wrote:Why only a +2 for Henegouwen?

In my games Arras played a major part, and so did the south-east. This is still a Beta-map which means we can try it at least.
Don't get me wrong: I very much appreciate the view of a Colonel. Give it a try and if it's not working we still can try a +3 change. Or stick with the full +4. Feel free to post your experiences once the +2 version is up and running.
Cadet DubWarrior

Postby MrBenn on Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:33 pm

The amendments have gone live...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MrBenn on Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:10 pm

DubWarrior wrote:
DubWarrior wrote:Why only a +2 for Henegouwen?

In my games Arras played a major part, and so did the south-east. This is still a Beta-map which means we can try it at least.
Don't get me wrong: I very much appreciate the view of a Colonel. Give it a try and if it's not working we still can try a +3 change. Or stick with the full +4. Feel free to post your experiences once the +2 version is up and running.

I'd be inclined to switch to a +3; then we can push the boat out once and for all!
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby danryan on Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:15 pm

I vote for that option. Otherwise this map is just right. Nice artwork too!

Postby Arama86n on Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:56 pm

Guys, just remember, you can't judge the map fron one game type. For example, just because this or that bonus never gets taken 1v1, doesn't mean it won't be used in 8 player standard. And four player assassin is going to play out differently than a quards game... just stating the obvious here, but keep it in mind when suggesting changes.

Loving Flanders 1302 btw 8-)
Major Arama86n

Postby jefjef on Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:32 pm

Arama86n wrote:Guys, just remember, you can't judge the map fron one game type. For example, just because this or that bonus never gets taken 1v1, doesn't mean it won't be used in 8 player standard. And four player assassin is going to play out differently than a quards game... just stating the obvious here, but keep it in mind when suggesting changes.

Loving Flanders 1302 btw 8-)

:shock:

That bonus at 3 fits...
Colonel jefjef

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas