Conquer Club

Happy Valentine's Day

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Happy Valentines Day (Ready For Gameplay Workshop?)

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:11 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:OK, the consensus from us is that we really don't have the power to declare a map seasonal or decide whether a seasonal map is desired. You've got to get intouch with the event coordinators and see their feelings on such an idea. Once you get back to one of us about that business we'll see what we can do about moving a Valentines Day map on.

Will Do
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby rdsrds2120 on Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:09 pm

You spelled 'lose' as 'loose'.
Just thought I'd show you, with thanks to Insom to pointing it out.

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby 40kguy on Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:05 pm

how about the center makes it so you can attack the outsides. then if you lose all of your starting places you lose.
16:00:18 ā€¹Pixarā€ŗ Valentines Day the one day in they year that the V and the D come together
Cook 40kguy

Happy Valentines Day - Someday ;)

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:09 pm

I was looking at the raw files for this again the other day and after I finish up the maps I have in the works I am thinking about revisiting it. However rather than making it seasonal I was thinking of simply doing it as a "Love" based map of some sort. Maybe with the title of "Love Conquers All" but keeping with the V-Day theme.... ANyway ... we will have to wait and see if I can actually get a second or third map through the foundry first.

=D13=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Re: Happy Valentines Day - Someday ;)

Postby Seamus76 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:57 am

dolomite13 wrote:I was looking at the raw files for this again the other day and after I finish up the maps I have in the works I am thinking about revisiting it. However rather than making it seasonal I was thinking of simply doing it as a "Love" based map of some sort. Maybe with the title of "Love Conquers All" but keeping with the V-Day theme.... ANyway ... we will have to wait and see if I can actually get a second or third map through the foundry first.

=D13=
I like the look at feel. It would be cool to have in the rotation, so I hope you can get to it, but I also think it will get pushed hard to the "seasonal" folder.
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Re: Happy Valentines Day - Someday ;)

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:24 am

Seamus76 wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:I was looking at the raw files for this again the other day and after I finish up the maps I have in the works I am thinking about revisiting it. However rather than making it seasonal I was thinking of simply doing it as a "Love" based map of some sort. Maybe with the title of "Love Conquers All" but keeping with the V-Day theme.... ANyway ... we will have to wait and see if I can actually get a second or third map through the foundry first.

=D13=
I like the look at feel. It would be cool to have in the rotation, so I hope you can get to it, but I also think it will get pushed hard to the "seasonal" folder.

I think it may have stalled last time when I got feedback that it was too similar to the St Patricks day map and I am not sure I ever got feedback on its status a seasonal map or maybe Valentines day came and went and I shelved it. Hard to remember. Anyway I really enjoyed developing this one and would love to revisit it someday =)

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Re: Happy Valentines Day - Love Conquers All

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:11 am

I'm fine with the concept you want to represent. My opinions on this one are the same I had in past: "Nice, but make it different than St. Patrick's Day Map"
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Re: Happy Valentines Day - Love Conquers All

Postby Teflon Kris on Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:20 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:I'm fine with the concept you want to represent. My opinions on this one are the same I had in past: "Nice, but make it different than St. Patrick's Day Map"

Well, we only have limited chance to play St Pat's AND this has some differences.

The blue hearts and cupid are one difference, how about cupid can bombard purple hearts?

True love and any two purple hearts wins (all game types coded for one start each)?

When true love held purple hearts connect?

Start positions have +1 auto?

Purple hearts needed to stay alive (or make them red)?
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Re: Happy Valentines Day - Major Update (8/10)

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:55 pm

OK here is a complete revamp. New game-play and new map connections making it completely different than St Patricks Day. It now uses a more traditional continent type bonus system and the standard +1/3 mechanic as well as a little killer neutral action thrown in.

Please note that the art is just a DRAFT and will need a complete overhaul as well.

=D13=

==========================================================================================

Territories: 29
- 7 Yellow Hearts
- 6 Orange Hearts
- 6 Blue Hearts
- 4 Green Hearts
- 4 Purple Hearts
- 1 Red Heart (True Love)
- 1 Cupid

Connections
- All hearts that overlap are adjacent
- Cupid and Blue Hearts are adjacent

Starting Forces
- All hearts start with 3 units each except the following
- True Love and Cupid start with 7 neutral

Bonus Forces
- Standard +1 for every 3 hearts (Minimum +3)
- Holding True Love and one of each color heart grants +10 bonus

Killer
- Cupid is killer 7 (resets to 7 every turn when held)

Map v2.0.1
http://imageshack.com/a/img7/4832/bihu.png

Connections Map v2.0.1
Here is a simple connections map to make it easier to see the connections.

Troop Deployment

In a 2 player game
- both players would have 9 hearts each set to 3 armies with 9 remainder set to neutral . (27/3)

In a 3 player game
- each player would have 9 hearts each set to 3 armies. (27/3)

In a 4 player game
- each player would have 6 Hearts each set to 3 armies with 3 remainder set to neutral. (27/4)

In a 5 player game
- each player would have 5 Hearts each set to 3 armies with 2 remainder set to neutral. (27/5)

In a 6 player game
- each player would have 4 Hearts each set to 3 armies with 3 remainder set to neutral. (27/6)

In a 7 player game
- each player would have 3 Hearts each set to 3 armies with 6 remainder set to neutral. (27/7)

In a 8 player game
- each player would have 3 Hearts each set to 3 armies with 3 remainder set to neutral. (27/8)
Cook dolomite13

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:04 pm

Hi Dolomite,

I like the new gameplay you came up with, I think it will work well for escalating games, since it encourages you to have your troops spread around the board. I think this will work and it's a lot different than St. Patrick's map is. Definitely worth working on once Krazy Kingdoms is in Beta and Conquer Cup is quenched :)
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby Industrial Helix on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:01 am

Just throwing this out there, why not have 8 cupids one way assault the heart map?
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:23 am

Industrial Helix wrote:Just throwing this out there, why not have 8 cupids one way assault the heart map?

Interesting. 8 cupids. Hmmmm...

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby ViperOverLord on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:42 am

I like it at a glance.
High Score: #76 3053
Major ViperOverLord

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:59 pm

dolomite13 wrote:
Industrial Helix wrote:Just throwing this out there, why not have 8 cupids one way assault the heart map?

=D13=

Interesting idea... or you could have 12 cupids, since we're going to have 12 player games really, really soon :)
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:42 pm

-=- Tanarri -=- wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:

=D13=

Interesting idea... or you could have 12 cupids, since we're going to have 12 player games really, really soon :)

I'm leaning towards 1 cupid and doing the random drop for players on the map. I will take a look at the map for 12 players but it may not be viable with 12, especially with so few territories.

In a 2 player game
- both players would have 9 hearts each set to 3 armies with 9 remainder set to neutral . (27/3)

In a 3 player game
- each player would have 9 hearts each set to 3 armies. (27/3)

In a 4 player game
- each player would have 6 Hearts each set to 3 armies with 3 remainder set to neutral. (27/4)

In a 5 player game
- each player would have 5 Hearts each set to 3 armies with 2 remainder set to neutral. (27/5)

In a 6 player game
- each player would have 4 Hearts each set to 3 armies with 3 remainder set to neutral. (27/6)

In a 7 player game
- each player would have 3 Hearts each set to 3 armies with 6 remainder set to neutral. (27/7)

In a 8 player game
- each player would have 3 Hearts each set to 3 armies with 3 remainder set to neutral. (27/8)

In a 9 player game
- each player would have 3 Hearts each. (27/9)

In a 10 player game
- each player would have 2 Hearts each set to 3 armies with 7 remainder set to neutral. (27/10)

In a 11 player game
- each player would have 2 Hearts each set to 3 armies with 5 remainder set to neutral. (27/11)

In a 12 player game
- each player would have 2 Hearts each set to 3 armies with 3 remainder set to neutral. (27/12)

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:19 pm

OK...

So I would like to pursue this map as a seasonal map. I think that the changes I made to it make it completely different than St Patricks day and I think that it now has dome decent mechanics and is small enough to finish withing a few weeks at most of Valentines day.

What do the foundry folks think?

If you accept it as a seasonal map I can redo the images and have an xml ready rather quickly so that we can make that Feb 14th deadline.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Re: Happy Valentines Day - Seeking Seasonal Map Approval 9/9

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:06 am

dolomite, I have been thinking about this map and whilst I have no real opinion for or against it, I do have a thought that might help your case here.

Make one map for all holidays. In essence, do a map with skins so the site would only need to upload the correct version of the map. Right now you have hearts for a valentines day, we can go tulips for Easter, roses for mothers day, bats for Halloween, presents for christmas. Think of the most celebrated holidays that the site uses and then you can skin it. All that would change is the background and names (xml names would need to be changed as well).

This should then give the site more incentive to allow another seasonal map.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:17 am

koontz1973 wrote:dolomite, I have been thinking about this map and whilst I have no real opinion for or against it, I do have a thought that might help your case here.

Make one map for all holidays. In essence, do a map with skins so the site would only need to upload the correct version of the map. Right now you have hearts for a valentines day, we can go tulips for Easter, roses for mothers day, bats for Halloween, presents for christmas. Think of the most celebrated holidays that the site uses and then you can skin it. All that would change is the background and names (xml names would need to be changed as well).

This should then give the site more incentive to allow another seasonal map.

My original proposal was to create a Valentines day map or Holiday Map Pack all based on St Patricks day. Which was shot down.

Then I proposed changing the victory condition on every map to a different mechanic such as bombardments etc. Which was shot down.

Finally I created this much more unique map. It still has fewer territories to make it play much faster but also has copmpletely different gameplay than St Patricks.

I would be happy to create several holiday themed maps as a map pack but would really like them to feature different mechanics while being playable quickly and within the season they are meant for.

I will put together some thoughts on this over the weekend and post them so that you all can see what I am thinking.

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:08 pm

We have looked at your most recent draft. After a briefly discussion between CAs and also admins, we're pleased to tell to you that we're in agreement about having this map allowed as future addition to the CC roster as Seasonal Map.
We have just a couple of minor request:
1. keep it very simple, obviously without make it sloppy.
2. don't use tricky, new or untested features.

If we can release this for the next Valentine Day, then it would be great.
Said that, allow this as future seasonal map doesn't mean you have a freepass for the foundry process, this map will go through the foundry as any other map currently under development and it will be discussed by CAs and community as usual. I know you're aware about this, just posting this here so everyone knows.

Good Luck with it, let me know if and when you want it moved to the DR.
Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Armandolas on Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:35 pm

dolomite13 wrote:Bonus Forces

here u mean maximum +3?
Colonel Armandolas

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:24 am

Armandolas wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:Bonus Forces

here u mean maximum +3?

No I mean minimum... as is standard for maps (1 per 3 minimum 3 to deploy)

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:45 am

thenobodies80 wrote:We have looked at your most recent draft. After a briefly discussion between CAs and also admins, we're pleased to tell to you that we're in agreement about having this map allowed as future addition to the CC roster as Seasonal Map.

Said that, allow this as future seasonal map doesn't mean you have a freepass for the foundry process, this map will go through the foundry as any other map currently under development and it will be discussed by CAs and community as usual. I know you're aware about this, just posting this here so everyone knows.

Nobodies

Congrats on approval dolomite, I look forward to playing this next Valentine's Day :)
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:10 am

thenobodies80 wrote:We have looked at your most recent draft. After a briefly discussion between CAs and also admins, we're pleased to tell to you that we're in agreement about having this map allowed as future addition to the CC roster as Seasonal Map.

Nobodies

Woo Hoo!!!!

Feel free to move it to the drafting room at any time. I have some gameplay updates (territory connections) that will help reduce bottlenecks and rely less on cupid. And some new, much cleaner, graphics in the works that I can't wait to debut =)

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Re: Happy Valentines Day - Coming Feb 2014

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:36 am

Quick update...

I have been working on the map layout and will have a new draft in the coming week or so.

I want to feature basic gameplay with the addition of one special type of gameplay so as to not create something too complicated but alto to highlight the cool and unique features that CC maps have to offer. Just as the st patricks map features a win condition (king of the hill style) I am hoping to come up with a unique bit of gameplay revolving around Cupid. Currently cupid is just an off map territory that connects the blue hearts but I think their should be a conditional border somewhere there. I am indeed working on it and open to suggestions.

Thanx

=D13=

=D13=
Cook dolomite13

Re: Happy Valentines Day - Coming Feb 2014

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:42 pm

I decided to change the map slightly to make a few more connections and to add a unique multi unit circle territory at the center to make it more interesting. I removed cupid and added a win condition and another bonus. Player drops would be on all hearts except "true love" which in a 12 player game gives everyone 2 territories. I will probably rename all of the hearts to try and make all of each color start with a common letter. Also this map is intended to be one size for both large and small.

Anyway here it is for your consideration. And hopefully we can get this moved to the drafting room.

=D13=

http://imageshack.com/a/img198/9749/55vd.png
Cook dolomite13

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas