Conquer Club

The Conquer 500

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Conquer 500 [D GR GP XML Beta]

Postby Gilligan on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:52 pm

dolomite13 wrote:
Gilligan wrote:is the +40 for track supposed to override the individual +2s? Just thought of that cause I got it in a game of mine.

Are you saying that it did override it? so you got +40 from the track or that it didn't override and if you had the whole track you got +60?

The question is how much is the right bonus for the track overall. If it's overriding then I will need to make a note of it in the graphic. If it's not then we might want to look at the winners circle and bump it up a bit or drop that bonus to +20.

=D=

Currently it's +40 for the track, WITH +2x10 track segments = +60

EDIT Wait, never mind. I jumped the gun here. I forgot the +40 was for a single territory on each segment, not for the WHOLE thing.

My bad.
Captain Gilligan

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:59 pm

Yea the legend indicates +2 for all 3 AND +40 for one in each ... so if you had the whole track you have +60

Holding one whole car plus the entire pit should yield +20 ... which right now the whole pit is worth +39 instead of +15 (a bit too much)... this is fixed in the new XML right?

The bonus breakdown ...

- Pit Crew +3 auto
- Car Conditions +1 each or Whole Car +5
- Pit Equipment 1 jack and 1 tools +2 for each set (max +6)
- Pit Equipment 1 fuel and 1 tires 1 engine +3 for each set (max +9)
- All three track locations in a segment +2 (total +20)
- One location in each of the 10 segments +40

If you hold all of that +80 (autodeploy 3)

=D=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby waauw on Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:25 am

dolomite13 wrote:Every game I am currently playing is so unbalanced with each pit item providing a bonus rather than the collecting of sets... and people aren't focusing on the track enough.

I wonder if car conditions should be allowed to assault their crew so if a nuclear game wipes you off your crew or someone does that from the winners circle but you had some forces on your car conditions you could retake that crew. That would be a really simple fix for getting wiped out of the crew which lets you back in the race if you loose all your track positions.

Also ... should car conditions not decay? ... seems like people don't reinforce them because its a guaranteed loss of troops every turn or they do reinforce them and the gain isn't worth the troops spent.

=D=

yah I have seen the exact same thing happen. People just dont concentrate on the track enough and if you play games with 8 players it is REALLY EASY to get wiped of the track and once that happens then you're pretty much screwed as in my experience people do tend to wanna eliminate the crews quite fast.

And I agree with dolomite. Best solution is a loopback where people can somehow conquer back the crews.

Check this game out(fyi the leftover questionmarks are all blue's, so 3 players are stuck not being able to do anything anymore)(Game 12554384):

Lieutenant waauw

Postby dolomite13 on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:42 pm

dolomite13 wrote:Every game I am currently playing is so unbalanced with each pit item providing a bonus rather than the collecting of sets... and people aren't focusing on the track enough.

I wonder if car conditions should be allowed to assault their crew so if a nuclear game wipes you off your crew or someone does that from the winners circle but you had some forces on your car conditions you could retake that crew. That would be a really simple fix for getting wiped out of the crew which lets you back in the race if you loose all your track positions.

Also ... should car conditions not decay? ... seems like people don't reinforce them because its a guaranteed loss of troops every turn or they do reinforce them and the gain isn't worth the troops spent.
=D=

Any thoughts anyone?

=D=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby ender516 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:11 pm

dolomite13 wrote:

=D=

Any thoughts anyone?

=D=

Well the first problem you mention should be mitigated once the XML is doing the "n This plus N That plus N TheOther" bonuses properly, right?

Getting back into a nukes game gone bad seems like a good idea, if otherwise you are stuck in a game where you are just waiting to be eliminated. Does letting conditions assault crew all the time have any drawbacks? Should this be a conditional border, active only if you have been squeezed out?
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:50 pm

The the last real problem to solve as I see it is have a nuke game gone bad or someone using the winners circle to clean out the pit crews effectively making the game seriously no fun to play. As a way to mitigate this we could make these two changes.

1) Crews are adjacent to (fuel, tires, engine) of their corresponding car (meaning they can attack back and forth between the car conditions and their crew).

2) Provided you control at least one of these four territories (fuel or tires or engine of your car) or (your pit crew) then the winners circle is adjacent to the ones you control.

And one final change would stop forces from getting stuck in the pit equipment.

3) If you control all three of the same of any of the 5 pit equipment all 3 of those territories may assault the pit row.

These are fairly radical ideas using conditional borders (which didn't exist when I started development on this map)

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby thehippo8 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:00 pm

I yawn every time I look at those sleepy pit Tires. Maybe its from putting all the Tyres on the cars?
ImageImageImage
show
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:32 am

thehippo8 wrote:I yawn every time I look at those sleepy pit Tires. Maybe its from putting all the Tyres on the cars?

Sorry I'm from the North America :roll:

Tire vs. tyre

Tire and tyre both mean a covering for a wheel, usually made of rubber. Tire is the preferred spelling in the U.S. and Canada. Tyre is preferred in most varieties of English outside North America. But all varieties of English use tire in the sense to grow weary.

http://grammarist.com/spelling/tire-tyre/
Cook dolomite13

Postby waauw on Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:14 pm

dolomite13 wrote:The the last real problem to solve as I see it is have a nuke game gone bad or someone using the winners circle to clean out the pit crews effectively making the game seriously no fun to play. As a way to mitigate this we could make these two changes.

1) Crews are adjacent to (fuel, tires, engine) of their corresponding car (meaning they can attack back and forth between the car conditions and their crew).

2) Provided you control at least one of these four territories (fuel or tires or engine of your car) or (your pit crew) then the winners circle is adjacent to the ones you control.

3) If you control all three of the same of any of the 5 pit equipment all 3 of those territories may assault the pit row.

These are fairly radical ideas using conditional borders (which didn't exist when I started development on this map)

=D=

I like the ideas except for the second one. I liked it that crews couldnt touch the winners circle. Making it so it can be attacked from anywhere will make you too vulnerable imo. The moment someone breaks down the winners circle, I fear everybody will start using it from all directions. I'd prefer it if the pit row was 10 neutrals in stead of 20 then. This way people who get kicked off the track very fast can still get back in the game. 20 seems too high for that.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:10 pm

waauw wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:The the last real problem to solve as I see it is have a nuke game gone bad or someone using the winners circle to clean out the pit crews effectively making the game seriously no fun to play. As a way to mitigate this we could make these two changes.

=D=

I like the ideas except for the second one. I liked it that crews couldnt touch the winners circle. Making it so it can be attacked from anywhere will make you too vulnerable imo. The moment someone breaks down the winners circle, I fear everybody will start using it from all directions. I'd prefer it if the pit row was 10 neutrals in stead of 20 then. This way people who get kicked off the track very fast can still get back in the game. 20 seems too high for that.

2 is probably overkill.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby thehippo8 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:57 am

I am in a game where all I have left is all the Jacks. I can't go anywhere or do anything but I get 9 deploys each round so I build and wait for someone else to win. My concern is what happens if we play a nuclear spoils game and we get down to two players and one owns the tools and the other the jacks (or some other dead-end part of the map)? Unless you put in round limits then the game would go on forever!! I don't know what the answer is other than to have some connection from the dead ends back into the game! Maybe the jacks can attack the pit row and then you can get back your crew to get back to the track?
ImageImageImage
show

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:47 am

dolomite13 wrote:

Bumping just in case this got missed in Gilligans post ;)

=D=

Will send the above files today, sorry for the delay O:)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:10 am

I was going to compress and send the files, when I noticed that all the circles have lot of crazy pixels....could you take care of them?
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby GonzWithBourbon on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:42 am

OK, I hope I'm in the right place to make this comment...

It seems that once you have troops on a car segment, you can't assault with them OR use them to reenforce. They're just stuck in the segment, bleeding 1 per turn.

Either this is a bug, or a gameplay issue. If it's something done for competitive balance, then- in my opinion- it ought to be prominently mentioned on the map. Like, in fairly large letters.
Cadet GonzWithBourbon

Postby dolomite13 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:11 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:I was going to compress and send the files, when I noticed that all the circles have lot of crazy pixels....could you take care of them?

I will take a look at that later today ... I see them ... not sure how that happened

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:00 am

Here is the map for the existing xml ... I modified the Key slightly for better readability and fixed the jagged edges on the red circles, winners circle, and pit row.

Large
http://imageshack.us/a/img827/139/c500113lg800782.png
Click image to enlarge.

Small
http://imageshack.us/a/img694/5315/c500113sm614600.png
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:02 am

I would like to make another change to the map and that is that I believe the cars should assault their pit crew. This will help in "nukes gone bad" situations.

Here are two maps with that additional wording. Use these if Gilligan has time to do the XML.

Large
http://imageshack.us/a/img705/8128/c500114lg800782.png

Small
http://imageshack.us/a/img546/9184/c500114sm614600.png
Cook dolomite13

Postby thehippo8 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:52 am

I like the new graphics Dolomite!
ImageImageImage
show

Postby The Voice on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:26 pm

This map is incredible. What a unique concept. Thank you for creating it!

Quick question: I read in an earlier post that the bonus glitch will be fixed and the crews will be a +2 autodeploy. Is there a date when this new XML will be implemented?
Major The Voice

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:27 pm

The Voice wrote:This map is incredible. What a unique concept. Thank you for creating it!

Thanks =)

The Voice wrote:Quick question: I read in an earlier post that the bonus glitch will be fixed and the crews will be a +2 autodeploy. Is there a date when this new XML will be implemented?

Very soon.

Changes will be....

- Car (fuel, tires, engine) start 2 neutral
- Crews Autodeploy 2
- Bonuses for combos (jacks & tools) and (fuel,tires, engine) set to their bonus per combo not for every piece of equipment.
- Max number of crews in in 2 or 3 player is 2 each player.

Possible addition

- Car (fuel, tires, engine) assaults corresponding pit crew

I just updated the map graphics but we have one more tweak to the XML then it can be rolled out.

=D=
Last edited by dolomite13 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cook dolomite13

Postby Gilligan on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:34 pm

dolomite13 wrote:
The Voice wrote:This map is incredible. What a unique concept. Thank you for creating it!

Thanks =)

The Voice wrote:Quick question: I read in an earlier post that the bonus glitch will be fixed and the crews will be a +2 autodeploy. Is there a date when this new XML will be implemented?

Very soon.

I just updated the map graphics but we have one more tweak to the XML then it can be rolled out.

=D=

that one tweak being that car gauges can attack their respective crews?
Captain Gilligan

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:35 pm

Gilligan wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:

Thanks =)

Very soon.

=D=

that one tweak being that car gauges can attack their respective crews?

Yep =)
Cook dolomite13

Postby Gilligan on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:18 pm

Captain Gilligan

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:26 pm

You are a wonderful person ... has anyone ever told you that =)

Here are the maps that go with it.

Large
http://imageshack.us/a/img705/8128/c500114lg800782.png

Small
http://imageshack.us/a/img546/9184/c500114sm614600.png

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby Gilligan on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:27 pm

I know. 8-)
Captain Gilligan

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas