Conquer Club

Map of Middle-Earth [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby ticalien on Sat May 20, 2006 12:20 am

Allright guys, some pretty substantial updates here.

- I can't bring myself to eliminating Lindon so I added Tharbad, Dunland, and Rivendell (used to be Eregion) to Eriador. This brings the countries total to 11, as a result the bonus has been moved to the suggested 7. This portrays a more realistic view of Eriador per the movies and books.

- Added Isengard to Rohan. Brings the maps total countries to 46..

- Due to Rohan's reconfiguration the bonus has been adjusted to 4. On a side note, I thought about a bonus of 1 army should you hold Isengard, thoughts??

- Modified a number of country borders in hopes of eliminating the "linear" effect some of the borders created.

- Moved the bridge from Wilderland to Erebor up to Mirkwood.

- Removed the orginal 1 way path from Mt. Doom (previously Gonorath) to Dagorland creating the much requested 2 way attack point.

- Added one way from Mt. Doom to Ithilien simulating the Modor attack from Minas Morgul which Truman speaks of.

-------------

-------------

After making the changes above I don't think any reconfiguration of Mordor is really necessary. We'll give this version a go around and see what develops.
Sergeant ticalien

Postby Marvaddin on Sat May 20, 2006 3:01 am

Dispersion still very strange: 4, 6, 6, 6, 6 ( :shock: ), 7, 11

However, the map is much better, the linearity is not present as before.

Countries, borders, routes.
Lindon: 4, 2, 3... ok, as before.
Eriador: 11, 4, 4. Hmm, I believe 6 would be a good bonus... Only 4 borders, and as Lindon will be a province, soon would be 9 armies for 2 borders only (Forodwaith and Enedwaith)
Rohan: 6, 4, 5... yes, difficult to hold, bonus 4. Isengard was really necessary, but no bonus for hold 1 country, please.
Gondor: 6, 4, 6 Bonus of 4, man, as Rohan, not more... even why it will probably be a Mordor province (even Mordor being more difficult to hold than before)... But please, dont put another one-way route!!
Rovhanion: 7, 4, 6. Bonus 5, not more.
Mordor: 6, 3, 2. Better if you remove the one-way... Really want an one-way route here? From Khand to Sea of Rhun is the best place. Bonus 3, even after remove the arrow.
Ruhn: 6, 3, 4. Bonus 3. But I really think this would be a good continent to add some more countries... It would be easy, and maybe we could have 9 countries for a bonus of 5. In this case, remove a country from Gondor. It would help very much to get a better dispersion... (just my opinion).

Thats it, much better. :wink:
Major Marvaddin

Postby Haydena on Sat May 20, 2006 3:10 am

I think you should put a little shading in the circles... In Mordor if red is present it may be a little hard to see...

I think it looks great... I will definetely be playing it! Keep it up!
Sergeant 1st Class Haydena

Postby Truman on Sat May 20, 2006 10:06 am

I still think at least some kind of link should be added between Far Harad, Forodwaith, and Harlindon. Otherwise, the chances of getting around anywhere are very small, if there're big armies in the way.

Sure I know it'll be easier for the "small continent players" to keep things like Rhun and Morder, but what if that player is not in that position? We need to give a bit of depth to the map, like Alaska is linked to Kamtchatka.

--Truman
Private Truman

Postby Banana Stomper on Sat May 20, 2006 11:27 am

can the shire attack harlingdon? If so, why even have the mountains, they make it confusing, at least bring them down a bit, making them cover less of the border. And if not, bring the mountains up farther to completely block the border.
Corporal 1st Class Banana Stomper

Postby Truman on Sat May 20, 2006 12:10 pm

Marv, I've been wondering. What do the numbers represent?
Private Truman

Postby Haydena on Sat May 20, 2006 12:23 pm

Number of Countries - Border Countries - Number of Countries that border continent

Postby Evil Pope on Sat May 20, 2006 12:40 pm

Hmmm.. I'm not fond of the changes..
I don't like the change of Eregion to Rivendell.. Nor the change of Westfold to Isengard.. Maybe i'm the only one, though..
Anyway, I think Eriador's bonus is too high, considering that it's only got four borders..
So maybe if you wanted to add another border, you could add a path between Trollshaws and Lorien.. Or a path between Rivendell and Lorien..
Sergeant Evil Pope

Postby Banana Stomper on Sat May 20, 2006 12:43 pm

so wait...not all of those rivers are impassible? I don't know, i think that is kind of confusing. I understand they look different and everything....but i don't like that. If the border can be crossed, make them the same as the rest of the borders.
Corporal 1st Class Banana Stomper

Postby Scorba on Sat May 20, 2006 12:55 pm

Banana Stomper wrote:so wait...not all of those rivers are impassible? I don't know, i think that is kind of confusing. I understand they look different and everything....but i don't like that. If the border can be crossed, make them the same as the rest of the borders.

I agree. The crossable rivers serve no purpose and should be removed.
Taking an enemy on the battlefield is like a hawk taking a bird. Though it enters into the midst of a thousand of them, it pays no attention to any bird other than the one it has first marked.
Lieutenant Scorba

Postby dissolution on Sat May 20, 2006 1:05 pm

but whats the point of the map if our troops are still just lil colored numbers. where are the orcs and elves!?
Cadet dissolution

Postby Truman on Sat May 20, 2006 1:08 pm

Evil Pope wrote:So maybe if you wanted to add another border, you could add a path between Trollshaws and Lorien.. Or a path between Rivendell and Lorien..

I've got an even better idea. coolestguy98 kept mentioning how we should have Moria in there, right? Well then, Moria can be the link between Rivendell and Lorien! I it sort of above the area, but hey! It doesn't have to be entirely accurate.

--Truman
Private Truman

Postby Evil Pope on Sat May 20, 2006 1:29 pm

Scorba wrote:
Banana Stomper wrote:so wait...not all of those rivers are impassible? I don't know, i think that is kind of confusing. I understand they look different and everything....but i don't like that. If the border can be crossed, make them the same as the rest of the borders.

I agree. The crossable rivers serve no purpose and should be removed.

I like the crossable rivers.. Sort of unique(sp? I'm terrible at spelling) in my oppinion..

Truman wrote:
Evil Pope wrote:So maybe if you wanted to add another border, you could add a path between Trollshaws and Lorien.. Or a path between Rivendell and Lorien..

I've got an even better idea. coolestguy98 kept mentioning how we should have Moria in there, right? Well then, Moria can be the link between Rivendell and Lorien! I it sort of above the area, but hey! It doesn't have to be entirely accurate.

Well, Moria is why I suggested the Rivendell and Lorien path..
And The Trollshaws and lorien link is accurate, I think.. I could be mistaken, but I belive that the High Pass is there..
Sergeant Evil Pope

Postby Truman on Sat May 20, 2006 2:02 pm

I like the crossable rivers too. They give realism to the map. Without the rivers it looks like any other old map.

And yes, you spelled unique correctly. :D

--Truman
Private Truman

Postby Haydena on Sat May 20, 2006 2:04 pm

Still, I think it makes it sort of hard to read... And a bit cluttered... I wouldn't include them myself...

Postby fluffybunnykins on Sat May 20, 2006 2:28 pm

the rivers are cool, it's good to have stuff that doesn't /need/ to be there, that's what makes a map more appealing, original and, yeah, unique.
otherwise it's like a film where stuff only happens if it affects the plot... very poor

...imho...
Superman wears 'Fluffybunnykins' pyjamas
Corporal 1st Class fluffybunnykins

Postby ticalien on Mon May 22, 2006 11:15 am

The FINAL version. At this point we've addressed as many requests as possible and feel it's time to finalize the map so we can begin the XML.

Following is the final version for release:

- Added a route from Rivendell to Lorien signifiging the "High Pass"
- Adjusted some continent bonuses.
- Removed some mountians inbetween Harlindon and The Shire.

I plan on fixing the legend up and adding some credits in while MrConfigT works on the XML. We should have everything together by the end of the week. Once we play the map and get a feel for everything it's possible that we may change it around, but we've got to start somewhere.
Sergeant ticalien

Postby DublinDoogey on Mon May 22, 2006 12:59 pm

In the begining I honestly wasn't too fond of this map, but now, seeing the final product I think it will become one of my favorites, nice job :)

I have one small quesiton though, why is there an arrow coming out of Mt. Doom into Ithilien, is it a one way border? If so I would suggest continuing the mountains, if not, imho, the arrow isn't needed.

It just came to me, I remember in a previous version the mountains were collored, and I remember liking that. They're awesome the way they are, but the color added a bit of pop to them.

Can't wait to play!
Private DublinDoogey

Postby fluffybunnykins on Mon May 22, 2006 5:47 pm

can't wait!

Postby fluffybunnykins on Mon May 22, 2006 5:47 pm

oh, I am...

Postby thegrimsleeper on Mon May 22, 2006 5:59 pm

Could I request a bit more variety in the shape of the mountains? In too many places they just have a cut and paste, paste, paste feel to them... I really like the way they look near the Shire and Belegost. I agree with Doogey, the mountains should continue through Ithilien, and they might look good with a bit of color.

Still not crazy about the red dots, I think they look quite misplaced, like they don't belong in this map. But it is your map, I can respect you for leaving them in if that's what you want.
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby MrConfigT on Mon May 22, 2006 7:30 pm

Grimm, the mountains have been through enough...

I think it looks great the way it is.

The red dots and lines stand out to let you know there's borders there.
Corporal 1st Class MrConfigT

Postby rocksolid on Mon May 22, 2006 7:34 pm

7 pages later...I think there's a little too much optimism over copyright issues here. I think I'd spend time addressing that before worrying about anything further.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby Marvaddin on Tue May 23, 2006 9:47 am

I dont think this will be a great map, but a normal one. I still dislike the dispersion... Gondor bonus is ridiculous, too... 5 armies for a 6 countries continent... In doubles, it will end many games.

Can I suggest you retract the impassable river, adding routes between Emyn Muil and Lebennin / Ement.
Major Marvaddin

WOW

Postby amazedlyamazing on Tue May 23, 2006 9:02 pm

This map is awesome. Put it out as soon as possible
Cadet amazedlyamazing

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas