Conquer Club

Rail Africa [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: RAIL AFRICA (V4)P3 - New Frame, Carriages & Design Elements

Postby Night Strike on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:13 pm

I kind of like the feel of the rails how they are right now. I probably wouldn't oppose changing them much, but I also wouldn't encourage it.

I think the KNG and MYA I line should connect to the green box rather than the blue. That one stands out the most as looking slightly out of place, but maybe the others could be adjusted too.

H and J have similar colors. I am able to tell them apart without much difficulty, but some may have issues.

It seems like the two circles at the TUN station should switch since E is an inland rail but B is outer.

In the Station Names legend at the top left, I think the colors need to be rotated because the light red and dark red are next to each other and look similar. I'd put the green in the center if you want to keep the same colors.

The little g in the top right legend is cut off.

Are you going to add more symbols around the map? Right now the elephant and butterfly look crowded compared to the open background around the map.
Major Night Strike

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:02 pm

Night Strike wrote:I kind of like the feel of the rails how they are right now. ...

Me too!
I think the KNG and MYA I line should connect to the green box rather than the blue. That one stands out the most as looking slightly out of place, but maybe the others could be adjusted too.
Can do!

H and J have similar colors. I am able to tell them apart without much difficulty, but some may have issues.

OK we''ll see.

It seems like the two circles at the TUN station should switch since E is an inland rail but B is outer.

I don't think it makes any difference really, especially since LYN is also configured the same way as TUN.

In the Station Names legend at the top left, I think the colors need to be rotated because the light red and dark red are next to each other and look similar. I'd put the green in the center if you want to keep the same colors.
Done.

The little g in the top right legend is cut off.

No, that is simply how that font is, if you look on the right it is also the same over there.

Are you going to add more symbols around the map? Right now the elephant and butterfly look crowded compared to the open background around the map.

Well, i wanted to see about that, i kinda like the black simple silhouettes and yes it is lob-sided at present but that can change.
Nice comments. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby SultanOfSurreal on Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:39 am

May I also suggest replacing Tangier (or possibly LaĆ¢youne) with Casablanca? The latter is a much more influential city.
Private SultanOfSurreal

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:34 am

SultanOfSurreal wrote:May I also suggest replacing Tangier (or possibly LaĆ¢youne) with Casablanca? The latter is a much more influential city.

I used Tangier because it has the ferry link with Spain.
However, examination of the current ONCF rail tells me you are correct, so i will change this next version.
Thanks, Sultan :)
Private cairnswk

Postby onbekende on Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:35 am

and once again you make train map

stop getting me addicted more to this game :D
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:54 am

onbekende wrote:and once again you make train map

stop getting me addicted more to this game :D

Hehe! oh how i love my work :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
EDIT: the process of creation ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:23 pm

Hey cairns.
This maps seems to be coming along quite well.
    1) I love the two BIG station armies circles for RBK and PRA. They look very ornate and cool. Really a nice touch.
    2) The rail lines (as many others have already said) look cool too. The are different enough from you other maps to help separate them but easy enough to tell what they are.

Here are some questions and suggestions I have:
    1) The small train and elephant seem a bit to dark and jump to at me. Maybe lower the opacity or something
    2) Are you going to add texture to the landmass? I think it needs a bit of variation and contrast.
    3) In the upper left legend it lists the FULL CITY name, in each XML station name. Why is that. There is no place on the map that the station is names (I think). I just thought it was a bit confusing. Why not just have the CAI A, B or C as the XML name?
    4) I assume the bracketed letters in the legend are to help people understand the starting and ending stations in each line? Most likely to help with colorblind issues since there are so many colors right? I was going to suggest getting rid of them to make the legend smaller but that would just make colors harder to do and cause other issues. I just wish there was more room to make the background train image stand out better.

I was not really excited about this when it was started but the map has come a long way already. I will be expecting a Rail MOON map once we colonize that in the next couple years :-)

WM

P.S. Oh and the Equatorial Line still has thicker rail lines too.
Major WidowMakers

Re: RAIL AFRICA (V5)

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:29 am

Version 5

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Re: RAIL AFRICA (V5)P4 - adjustments

Postby captainwalrus on Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:58 am

Madagascar seems a little mis-shapen for some reason. It should be thinner.
The L line - Desert Express, Is that a real line? I sort of always thought that that region was much more foresty than deserty.
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby Night Strike on Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:19 am

The hubs look even better than before. =D> Do you want the PRA running into the legend border?

Probably a good idea with the Madagascar rail, although you forgot the letter.

I think the N bonus should drop to 2 (instead of 3) because you only need two points to hold the bonus of only 4 territories.
Major Night Strike

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:16 pm

captainwalrus wrote:Madagascar seems a little mis-shapen for some reason. It should be thinner.
:shock:

The L line - Desert Express, Is that a real line? I sort of always thought that that region was much more foresty than deserty.

The Desert Express is a real train that runs in the Desert regions of Namibia.
As this is somewhat of a "make-believe map" of railways that have not yet been completed but could be developed, my Desert Express has that schedule. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:29 pm

Night Strike wrote:The hubs look even better than before. =D> Do you want the PRA running into the legend border?

Probably a good idea with the Madagascar rail, although you forgot the letter.

I think the N bonus should drop to 2 (instead of 3) because you only need two points to hold the bonus of only 4 territories.

All fixed, thanks Night Strike, pls refresh.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:39 pm

WidowMakers wrote:Hey cairns.
This maps seems to be coming along quite well.
    1) I love the two BIG station armies circles for RBK and PRA. They look very ornate and cool. Really a nice touch.
    2) The rail lines (as many others have already said) look cool too. The are different enough from you other maps to help separate them but easy enough to tell what they are.
Good. :)

Here are some questions and suggestions I have:
    1) The small train and elephant seem a bit to dark and jump to at me. Maybe lower the opacity or something

Reuduced to 50%
2) Are you going to add texture to the landmass? I think it needs a bit of variation and contrast.
I'm not sure. i'll see, it might get lost with everyhting that going on in the map.
3) In the upper left legend it lists the FULL CITY name, in each XML station name. Why is that. There is no place on the map that the station is names (I think). I just thought it was a bit confusing. Why not just have the CAI A, B or C as the XML name?
adjusted but format retained.
4) I assume the bracketed letters in the legend are to help people understand the starting and ending stations in each line? Most likely to help with colorblind issues since there are so many colors right? I was going to suggest getting rid of them to make the legend smaller but that would just make colors harder to do and cause other issues. I just wish there was more room to make the background train image stand out better.

Yes, as this is a map of cities that are not as well-known perhaps as the USA, Europe and Oz, i thought adding those indicators might assist, for the xml format though i think it would dfinitely be i the best interest to have the full-name of the city also for education purposes.
I have changed the font to reduce the train legend list in width so that the background train image can be seen better (siightly)
I was not really excited about this when it was started but the map has come a long way already. I will be expecting a Rail MOON map once we colonize that in the next couple years :-)

Aw common WM, get excited. I's excited, you should be excited for all rail maps too, but perhaps let's keep the moon for Armstrong's flag. ;)
P.S. Oh and the Equatorial Line still has thicker rail lines too.

Fixed.
Thanks for your positive comments. :)

Version 5

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Postby SultanOfSurreal on Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:43 pm

i vastly prefer the old hubs. if you really want to go with these new ones, remember the design of the old ones for the day you tackle Rail Asia. they'd definitely fit there.

also, if you want to include island nations, why not add a Praia station to the Ivory Line, or maybe make holding it on its own a +1 bonus, connecting it to both DKR and NOU?
Private SultanOfSurreal

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:30 pm

SultanOfSurreal wrote:i vastly prefer the old hubs. if you really want to go with these new ones, remember the design of the old ones for the day you tackle Rail Asia. they'd definitely fit there.

to degree i do too.
but it was pointed out that the identification label on the side would throw some players. that is why these new ones were made.

also, if you want to include island nations, why not add a Praia station to the Ivory Line, or maybe make holding it on its own a +1 bonus, connecting it to both DKR and NOU?

This doesn't qualify for a railway as there is no railway in Praia.
Private cairnswk

Postby Night Strike on Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:43 am

In the legend, the bonus numbers are not centered vertically.

On the Rail Hubs, the 3 letter abbreviations are running into the right side of the circle.

At the MOU station (middle of map), I would bump that left hand rail up to border the J box since J and H do have the similar colors.

At the DKR station (left of map), what is that stray line coming off the B and F stations?

I think some of the hub stations need to be rearranged to make more since as to where their lines are incoming/outgoing, especially the southern one. Switch N and K, and switch L and J. On the Northern one, starting with the current H position, I would order them A, K, H, J, F (K really has to be on the right side because the rail only goes to the right). If you order them in that direction, the hub "points" the stations in the direction that has the most stations for that rail.

The top left legend is running into LYN E. Perhaps drop the legend a couple pixels to fit that "1 Letter Service" into that crevice between stations.

It's clear that TLR O border MPO K, but which station does ABA O border on the mainland? Or do you want it to border both?

That rail between LVS M and LSK M is so small, that it might be better to just make it all red rather than half.

Alright, I'll stop nitpicking for now. I hope that helps.
Major Night Strike

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:13 pm

Night Strike wrote:In the legend, the bonus numbers are not centered vertically.

On the Rail Hubs, the 3 letter abbreviations are running into the right side of the circle.

Yes, thanks, all those small bits will be fixed as i go along, but keep pointing them out. ;)

At the MOU station (middle of map), I would bump that left hand rail up to border the J box since J and H do have the similar colors.
Done next version.

At the DKR station (left of map), what is that stray line coming off the B and F stations?

That is part of the coastline.

I think some of the hub stations need to be rearranged to make more since as to where their lines are incoming/outgoing, especially the southern one. Switch N and K, and switch L and J. On the Northern one, starting with the current H position, I would order them A, K, H, J, F (K really has to be on the right side because the rail only goes to the right). If you order them in that direction, the hub "points" the stations in the direction that has the most stations for that rail.
Hubs are being worked on as per requested.
The top left legend is running into LYN E. Perhaps drop the legend a couple pixels to fit that "1 Letter Service" into that crevice between stations.
I've moved the station instead, easier.

It's clear that TLR O border MPO K, but which station does ABA O border on the mainland? Or do you want it to border both?
Mmmm. still sorting that one out.
That rail between LVS M and LSK M is so small, that it might be better to just make it all red rather than half.
Done.

Alright, I'll stop nitpicking for now. I hope that helps.
No please keep it coming.... ;)
Private cairnswk

Re: RAIL AFRICA (V6)

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:56 pm

Version 6

I thought i'd get rid of the sign type legend and redevelop it into a Rail Ticket.
I don't know if it's quite there yet, but showing promise i think.

Adjustments made to RBK and PRA stations as per requested by Night Strike.

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Re: RAIL AFRICA (V6)P4 - New Rail Ticket Legend

Postby Night Strike on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:46 pm

I actually had suggested H and F switched on the top hub.

I'm liking the ticket style, except that the K bonus value is impossible to read. If possible, you should see if you can make the ticket date read as the date the map is quenched.

Still looking pretty good. Where's the Draft stamp?
Major Night Strike

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:36 pm

Night Strike wrote:...

I'm liking the ticket style, except that the K bonus value is impossible to read.
K Bonus value fixed next version. There was a different coloured purple there.

If possible, you should see if you can make the ticket date read as the date the map is quenched.

Still looking pretty good. Where's the Draft stamp?

Date, yes, can do.
Private cairnswk

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:36 am

As you already know, i'm not a big fan of rail maps, but honestly this one is really nice.
The map is good and i don't see problems.
The inclination of the ticket is a bit annoying, but with the low angle you have chosen I have no problem reading the text. ;)
I did two test with vischeck for colorblind issue. Two bonuses in the legend seem to be difficult to read, but i'm not colorblind, Could someone else confirm this? :) .
show: vischeck

Try to flip the train in the bottom right corner (and maybe rotate it a bit), i think is better. (it's only a personal choice, free not to follow it)
show: e.g.

Finally, i think you should code a neutral station for each one of the smaller lines (pharoah express,the blue line and la madagascan) to prevent a lucky drop, specially for 1vs1 games.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Industrial Helix on Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:47 am

Ok, don't really play the Rail maps but I'm starting to think I ought to.

I'd like to see the lines have more of a rail look to them. Otherwise It might as well be cities in Africa.

I like the ticket bonus, but I find it a little hard to read... its like the opacity is turned down or something. The colored words don't stand out well against the dark bg, the pattern in the further bg is confusing.

While I like the little illustrations to the right, the elephant looks a tad strange. You've got two trains headed in one direction, then in the middle this elephant headed right at you. While there should be some animal references, that elephant just looks funny. Maybe do the same style illustration with a group of them headed in a similar direction?

Gamplay looks pretty solid to me, but like I said, I'm a bit unfamiliar with the style of map. I might have to get back to you on that one.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Re: RAIL AFRICA (V8)

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:22 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:As you already know, i'm not a big fan of rail maps, but honestly this one is really nice.
The map is good and i don't see problems.
:) Thanks!
The inclination of the ticket is a bit annoying, but with the low angle you have chosen I have no problem reading the text. ;)
Yes i thought the ticket would look better offset against the background, but we'll see if anyone else has any commetns on that angle.

I did two test with vischeck for colorblind issue. Two bonuses in the legend seem to be difficult to read, but i'm not colorblind, Could someone else confirm this? :) .
I was hoping someone else might review this but....
Can you identify which bonuses in that legend are hard to read for you. It might involve a colour change completely. I looked at it but that isn't the same thing.

Try to flip the train in the bottom right corner (and maybe rotate it a bit), i think is better. (it's only a personal choice, free not to follow it)
OK, IN the version below, i have gone with a removal of the trains and elephant completely.
I am beginning to think less is more in this respect.

Finally, i think you should code a neutral station for each one of the smaller lines (pharoah express,the blue line and la madagascan) to prevent a lucky drop, specially for 1vs1 games.
Done. :)

Industrial Helix wrote:Ok, don't really play the Rail maps but I'm starting to think I ought to.
Oh? why is it you think you ought to, jut out of curiosity sake?

I'd like to see the lines have more of a rail look to them. Otherwise It might as well be cities in Africa.

OK, we have might to throw that one to the vote, shortly.

I like the ticket bonus, but I find it a little hard to read... its like the opacity is turned down or something. The colored words don't stand out well against the dark bg, the pattern in the further bg is confusing.
I've cleared out the patterned background and reduced the opacity on the dark background of the ticket, does that make it any clearer and less confusing.

While I like the little illustrations to the right, the elephant looks a tad strange. You've got two trains headed in one direction, then in the middle this elephant headed right at you. While there should be some animal references, that elephant just looks funny. Maybe do the same style illustration with a group of them headed in a similar direction?

Once again, those are now gone completely.

Gamplay looks pretty solid to me, but like I said, I'm a bit unfamiliar with the style of map. I might have to get back to you on that one.
OKies, thanks Industrial Helix :)

Version 8.
1. Removed the elephant and trains, i think perhaps less is more on this already crowded map.
2. Changed the title font to African - more appealing i think.
3. Removed the patterned background to the ticket and change the opacity of the background boxes the bonuses are written on
4. changed the font for the instructions.
5. Moved the ticket over to the left a fraction so that one can see the background a bit more.

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Re: RAIL AFRICA (V8)P5 - Less is More

Postby Industrial Helix on Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:42 pm

Well, I was thinking I ought to give these maps a try because, essentially, its European cities and the connections, ect. It's a good map concept but i couldn't care less about trains... which is what I'm assuming put me off initially. Just need to renew that ole premium membership so I can start more games.

The ticket looks a lot better imo. Continental and Victoria Falls something are difficult to read. East Coaster is a little tough too... It's like its blurred or something. Might be a file/layer thing or it might be the contrasting colors. Not sure.

I like the bit of political fiction with the government of Africa stamp, btw. Just noticed that.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Re: RAIL AFRICA (V8)P5 - Less is More

Postby Danyael on Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:06 pm

ok as you may know im colour blind as hell
im loving this rail map not colour confusion
due to your a -o name style of stations
only problem is i can even see m on the legend
and the m station in mya is different (unless theres a reason for that)
maybe use a brighter colour that you are using for m
other than that best rail so far (and i love your hubs in the newest version)
=D> good job
Corporal 1st Class Danyael

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas