Conquer Club

Austro-Hungarian Empire [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Austro-Hungarian Empire [Quenched]

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:24 am

ImageImageImageImageImage

The Austro Hungarian Empire

Xml - http://www.wcforums.org/foundry/AH/AH1.1.xml

show

Austria–Hungary, also known as the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the Dual Monarchy or the k.u.k Monarchy was a state in Central Europe ruled by the House of Habsburg, constitutionally a monarchic union between the crowns of the Austrian Empire and the Kingdom of Hungary. The state was a result of the Ausgleich or Compromise of 1867, under which the Austrian Habsburgs agreed to share power with a separate Hungarian government, dividing the territory of the former Austrian Empire between them. The Dual Monarchy existed for 51 years until 1918, when it dissolved following military defeat in the First World War.

Map Informations
  • 840x647 - file .png
  • 52 territories (10 starting neutrals)
  • Bonuses
    • Austria +6
    • Bohemia +2
    • Galicia +3
    • Croatia +5
    • Hungary +6
    • Transylvania +2
    • Bosnia & Herzegovina +4
  • Other bonuses
    • Austrian throne + every 2 cisleithanian territories +2
    • Hungarian throne + every 2 transleithanian territories +2
    • one throne for +1 autodeploy
  • Objective: Hold both thrones
  • Dual monarchy resets to 2 if held
  • dual monarchy bombard thrones

show: old versions
Last edited by thenobodies80 on Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:15 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Re: Austro-Hungarian Empire

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:32 am

This would be a great map and I'd definitely play it!

There should be a separate territory where you can occupy the two thrones as Franz Josef did, The Emperor of Austria and the King of Hungary. Maybe like an inset depicting the two thrones or perhaps a bonus for holding Budapest and Vienna.

Also I think Bosnia-Herzegovina should have some sort of different status as it was annexed in 1905, so rather late in the existence of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Perhaps no bonus for holding it or something?

I think the map should have a variety of terrain features as well to depict the many land features of the empire. So mountains in the Italian and Austrian bit, the Danube river also very prominent.

I would favor not taking an ethnic approach to carving up the map as it just gets too complicated, the terrs. should be drawn on a provincial border basis I think.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Skittles! on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:48 am

Finally, someone to undertake such a task. I've been wanting this for a long time and I hope it does exceptionally well.
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:57 am

Industrial Helix wrote:This would be a great map and I'd definitely play it!

There should be a separate territory where you can occupy the two thrones as Franz Josef did, The Emperor of Austria and the King of Hungary. Maybe like an inset depicting the two thrones or perhaps a bonus for holding Budapest and Vienna.

I'm in favour of the last option, honestly i'm not a big fan of insets.

Industrial Helix wrote:I think the map should have a variety of terrain features as well to depict the many land features of the empire. So mountains in the Italian and Austrian bit, the Danube river also very prominent.
I would favor not taking an ethnic approach to carving up the map as it just gets too complicated, the terrs. should be drawn on a provincial border basis I think.

About mountains and river, absolutely YES!
No ethnic approach, specially for this zone. ;)

Postby Kabanellas on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:54 am

Something that might help:

Click image to enlarge.
Major Kabanellas

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:22 pm

Okay, it's time to post something...

This one is just a preview ...a working draft will come soon.

I have to do:
-Legend
-Territory names
-Unique features
-Explain Gameplay
-Improve a TON of things ](*,)

Any comment or criticism is welcome. :mrgreen:

Click image to enlarge.

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:20 pm

Click image to enlarge.

I have added zones borders and names.
I'll be ready with a working draft in few time.

Postby neanderpaul14 on Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:44 pm

Great idea awesome start to the map......I really like the graphics on this one.
High score: 2724
/#163 on scoreboard/COLONEL
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby eigenvector on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:02 am

Cool idea and good work so far!

But maybe you can make the color softer? For me at least the present scheme grates on the eyes...

Also, a suggestion: maybe add an auto-decrease on Sarajevo? This makes historical sense because it was the squabbling for this particular piece of land that sent the empire to its doom. Just a thought, anyway...

And like I said before, cool idea. :)
Cook eigenvector

Postby xbriannova on Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:02 pm

It looks good! Can't wait to play this!
Cadet xbriannova

austro hungarian empire - draft version

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:33 pm

Update 08 Aug 2009

Click image to enlarge.

Please focus on gameplay, i'll fix graphics later (but all graphics suggs will be noted ;) )

Re: austro hungarian empire - draft version

Postby iancanton on Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:20 pm

moved into the drafting room.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby DarkS0uL on Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:25 pm

Hey, great idea for a map, looks awesome so far !

I've been waiting for some time for someone to take this subject for map-making purposes, and seeing it in the foundry is just great; being myself from there makes it even greater 8-)

Keep it up!
Lieutenant DarkS0uL

Re: Austro-Hungarian Empire - Update 08-Aug - Pg.1

Postby The Neon Peon on Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:17 am

Unusual style of graphics, I love it. The map itself could only use a few tweaks graphically, it looks good enough to play as is.

The flags you put on the map and the picture you have in the bottom right are very blurry.
See if you can bring down the impassibles and one way attack from above the map to below it so that all the legend is in one general area.

Is there a reason you made bonuses for certain amounts of territories rather than an entire continent? (Just curious)
- I like the way you placed neutrals and arranged the two smaller bonuses on the map, but I have some concerns about other bonuses.
- Transylvania needs 2 neutrals placed in it, I would say. Currently it gives a 2 bonus with 2 regions to defend and no need to go through any neutrals to get it. I think if you placed one on Hunyad and Haromszek, it would balance it out. The reason I don't want to place one in Temes is because it adds a defense to the southern border that helps to get the bonus rather than hinders. The same goes for Maros-Torda, except this would do the same for the Galicia bonus.
- 4 is too much for Austria, I would suggest reducing the bonus to 3.

More proof that maps coming out of the foundry are getting better and better, keep up the good work.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby Industrial Helix on Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:45 pm

Its awesome to see this map in drafts!

Gameplay wise... the bonus regions are a tad hard to read.

I'd bump up the bonus amount on everything but Austria and Hungary by 1.

I also think that Galicia ought to be part of the Austrian Empire. I think its cool that there's a bonus for holding each seat of the Duel monarchy... it might be interesting if the game came down to two players holding one each.

I think you should consider a sea link along the islands of the Dalmatian coast... or perhaps another territory.

Anyway, that's all I see for gameplay at the moment... I'll offer some more when you get going on graphics adjustments. Nice start, I look forward to playing this one!
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Kabanellas on Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:28 pm

Great map there!

Some things about graphics that you need to improve but we’ll get to it later. For the moment I’d just try to make a way for the bonus areas to be more readable (both zones and empire bonus) - it would improve the map a lot :) (I like that idea of different font colour though)

Also, do you intend to make the map to be historically linked to a particular time like the creation of the Austro Hungarian Empire - 1867? Or do you intend to give a more expanded time scope, if so, it could be interesting to add some Russia and Ottoman influences to appear in the map – well just a thought.:roll:

I like the 2 capitals with the a/d bonus, maybe they could give a 1 deployable bonus when owned together. And, why not referring to the capital regions by their own name? – Vienna and Buda (later Budapest)

The lower Silesia neutrals will create a buffer for those 2 regions in the north… don’t know if you intend that…

Coat of Arms:

Major Kabanellas

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:09 pm

The Neon Peon wrote:The flags you put on the map and the picture you have in the bottom right are very blurry.
See if you can bring down the impassibles and one way attack from above the map to below it so that all the legend is in one general area.

Will fix ;)

The Neon Peon wrote:Is there a reason you made bonuses for certain amounts of territories rather than an entire continent? (Just curious)
- I like the way you placed neutrals and arranged the two smaller bonuses on the map, but I have some concerns about other bonuses.
- Transylvania needs 2 neutrals placed in it, I would say. Currently it gives a 2 bonus with 2 regions to defend and no need to go through any neutrals to get it. I think if you placed one on Hunyad and Haromszek, it would balance it out. The reason I don't want to place one in Temes is because it adds a defense to the southern border that helps to get the bonus rather than hinders. The same goes for Maros-Torda, except this would do the same for the Galicia bonus.
- 4 is too much for Austria, I would suggest reducing the bonus to 3.

Bonuses are in a Berlin Style ( i like that map! :) )
The reason is that i prefere to develope a map in which a player could gain a bonus without a "precise scheme" or holding a complete zone.
All regions required are 50%+1 so there could be an "in-zone" fight and not only a zone vs another zone
About transylvania i like the possibiltiy to set 2 neutrals to prevent a lucky drop, Hunyad is ok, but maybe Csik instead haromszek.
Decreasing the austrian bonus...:-k, i'd like to have more feedback about this.

Industrial Helix wrote:Gameplay wise... the bonus regions are a tad hard to read.

I know ](*,) , i have to fix them ;)

Industrial Helix wrote:I'd bump up the bonus amount on everything but Austria and Hungary by 1.

I prefer to have low bonuses and leave only empire bonuses bigger, this choice is because i'd like to have a slower gaem in the first part, with player that try to control more zones and (maybe) the empire later.

Industrial Helix wrote:I also think that Galicia ought to be part of the Austrian Empire. I think its cool that there's a bonus for holding each seat of the Duel monarchy... it might be interesting if the game came down to two players holding one each.

Galicia was de facto a part of the austrian empire, but the kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria obtained a sort of autonomy .
And it helps to balace the empire bonuses. Austria and bohemia on one side / hungary and transylvania on the other.

Industrial Helix wrote:I think you should consider a sea link along the islands of the Dalmatian coast... or perhaps another territory.

Islands aren't a playable part and i prefer not to modify the number of territories.

Kabanellas wrote:For the moment I’d just try to make a way for the bonus areas to be more readable (both zones and empire bonus) - it would improve the map a lot :) (I like that idea of different font colour though)

I'm working on this, i'd like to find a more friendly way to rapresent bonus areas without lose the "natural" style of the map, in other words, no colored terrains.

Kabanellas wrote:Also, do you intend to make the map to be historically linked to a particular time like the creation of the Austro Hungarian Empire - 1867? Or do you intend to give a more expanded time scope, if so, it could be interesting to add some Russia and Ottoman influences to appear in the map – well just a thought.:roll:

My purpose is to present a large landscape of those lands. The player "objective" is hold the power on these two great empires, without a direct connection with the historical events.

Kabanellas wrote:I like the 2 capitals with the a/d bonus, maybe they could give a 1 deployable bonus when owned together. And, why not referring to the capital regions by their own name? – Vienna and Buda (later Budapest)

1 for each territories if hold together?....And not used city names but only regions names that were in that period. But if people like i can change the names.

Kabanellas wrote:The lower Silesia neutrals will create a buffer for those 2 regions in the north… don’t know if you intend that…

All neutral were placed to prevent an unfair start.

-------------------------------------------------

If i'll code other two starting neutral for transylvania:
42 regions
7 starting neutrals
35 randomly assigned

8 players 4 regions for each player + 3 neutral
7 players 5 regions for each player
6 players 5 regions for each player + 5 neutral
5 players 7 regions for each player
4 players 8 regions for each player + 3 neutral
3 players 11 regions for each player + 2 neutral
2 players 17 regions for each player +1 neutral

-------------------------------

Thank you guys for supporting this map ;)

Postby Kabanellas on Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:22 am

I was thinking on a 1 (only) extra deployable (not auto) troop for holding both….

The region names are all great, referring to the ones used in that period. I just think that you should give those two capitals the importance that they deserve by making a direct association between those two regions and respective capitals. I don’t think that you would be losing coherence.
Major Kabanellas

Postby pamoa on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:37 am

very good start for a must to be map

the in-zone fight argument about partial bonus inside each region fit very well to this unstable empire
Vienna and Pest starting neutral is justified
but to avoid unfair start you don't need to put a neutral territory in Bohemia, Bosnia and Galicia just code them as starting positions and also add Transylvania
I think it would help a lot having some shade in your greens so regions can be distinguished more easily see England map

go on =D>
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:41 pm

New Version 3 - 26 Aug 2009

Click image to enlarge.

List of changes:
    I placed a second neutral in transylvania--> neutrals will change in the next update
    Changed a font type. Also regions names are 11px now.
    Bonus for both capitals +2
    Switched bohemia and bosnia colors, i think they look better now ;)
    Moved all infos near the legend
    All Austria is +3 now
    Lower empire bonuses now +6 and +9

I'm going to remove all the starting neutrals except for both capitals (+5) and find out some good regions to code as starting positions to prevent an unfair drop.
I will post a new update in few days

Re: Austro-Hungarian Empire - Update 26-Aug - Pg.2

Postby luxCRUSADER on Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:37 am

As a Proud born Croatian, I love the map and can't wait to play and hold my birth place territory during the game ... Great looking map :) Excellent job m8 =D>
Sergeant 1st Class luxCRUSADER

Postby pamoa on Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:12 am

why are the German names in English and not the Hungarian
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby Industrial Helix on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:28 am

I think you ought to name the capitals Vienna and Budapest.

I think that the starting neutrals need to be pulled out and the capitals dropped to 3. If I were playing this map, there would be no chance that I would attack either capital at a neutral 5... you're looking at killing 10 men for a bonus of 2. I think they're way too high.
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:54 am

thenobodies80 wrote:
Kabanellas wrote:For the moment I’d just try to make a way for the bonus areas to be more readable (both zones and empire bonus) - it would improve the map a lot :) (I like that idea of different font colour though)

I'm working on this, i'd like to find a more friendly way to rapresent bonus areas without lose the "natural" style of the map, in other words, no colored terrains.

Different underline styles perhaps?
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Kabanellas on Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:34 am

Great, new font is a lot more readable. And the zone colour glow is quite perceptible now.
Having a bonus for holding both capitals makes perfect sense.

Industrial Helix wrote:I think you ought to name the capitals Vienna and Budapest.

I think that the starting neutrals need to be pulled out and the capitals dropped to 3. If I were playing this map, there would be no chance that I would attack either capital at a neutral 5... you're looking at killing 10 men for a bonus of 2. I think they're way too high.

Totally agree with Helix, capital regions should get their names from the cities. And yes, 5 neutrals are to high, I'd drop it to 3.
Major Kabanellas

Next

Return to The Atlas